SheepEater

Things non-AFOLs say WAY too often

Lego is like any other hobby and deserves the same amount of respect as any other hobby like football, hockey, collections etc.

Edited by Tariq j

I think what you meant to say was "Building with Lego is less of a waste than watching football or hockey matches. It's a different thing; a hobby that is creative"

;0)

How right you are :laugh:

Lego is like any other hobby and deserves the same amount of respect as any other hobby like football, hockey, collections etc.

Kids play football, and some keep doing it as adults. Why is Lego different? :laugh:

While looking at a Flickr account, "Wait, all of those are made out of Legos. That doesn't even look like Legos."

While looking at a Flickr account, "Wait, all of those are made out of Legos. That doesn't even look like Legos."

Surpriiiiise! :laugh:

- "Legos are way too expensive."

You get what you pay for. You see something else cheaper and just as good, by all means buy it.

I love hearing this! Then I just point to my GW collections... Now THAT'S an expensive toy soldiers hobby! Edited by Daenerys Targaryen

"Are those kits?"

Heard this at least 136 times at the last event I was at. Kind of an annoying thing to hear.

- "Where are the basic bricks sets that I used to play with when I was a kid? I swear these days it's only licensed Lego and wacky themes."

There's still generic Lego, stores just don't stock on them as much as Star Wars /Super Heroes etc. because they simply don't sell as much!

UGHHHHH this is said way too much... :look:

I clicked on the link and read the article. It's an opinionated, factually inaccurate, poorly written hack job..... and those were the high points..

I agree completly, it was quite inaccurated.

At our LUG events the vast majority of visitors are people who know that 'lego is lego', but they still come up with interesting questions. The most often heard are:

"Did you build this yourself?" - the more complex the moc, the more likely they ask

"Where can I buy this?" - very popular question when looking at moc modulars

The article by Molly Wood is an interesting piece of satire. While I think she glosses over the fact that a child can still be creative as he wants to be with Lego, some of what she says is amusing. And true.....

"Where can I buy this?" - very popular question when looking at moc modulars :laugh: :laugh: This made me smile and remember something !

At LegoWorld 2006 I was attending with a 2 mtr ship , the Blacktronia , and we overheared 2 little kids speaking to eachother " I'm going to get this for my xmass !! and you're not !!

I :grin: was laughing so hard.... That beast took me the better part of a year to build ( and half an hour too detroy :devil: )

Something I ask at cons is " Is this all yours " to be honest, mainly as it gets a conversation going. Obviously, I know if its a collab or not but... One thing I hate hearing is "Oh I'm getting this!" usually by kids when the set is priced at over 60 whatever. Another " You're so lucky." Erm.. No I'm not, I save up for all my own sets or bricks. BRW I'm a teen so that's mainly said by my friends who earn more allowance than me in fact. Other thing which may sound harsh is when people love their own mocs which don't look great. Especially sharpie clones. Man, I hate those things.

The article by Molly Wood is an interesting piece of satire. While I think she glosses over the fact that a child can still be creative as he wants to be with Lego, some of what she says is amusing. And true.....

Agreed it is quite funny at times with the extreme hyperbole, and I've heard all her points (and worse) spouted by different FOLs at different times too. But she has been lazy with her writing. Most notably just dismissing Friends as 'pink crap' without even feeling it is necessary to explain anything further than that.

A lot of funny cliched lines here. I can especially relate with Kivi's lines. :thumbup: And yeah, that cnet article is pretty silly. Here are some that I've heard:

"Dude, you should totally take apart all your Legos and build a giant tower out of it!" - my friends

Right, like that's gonna happen. :sarcasm:

"What's Clone Wars?" - random mom in the TRU Lego aisle :rofl:

"Look at the cute Lego people!" - parents at Lego displays. They're called minifigures, dammit! :tongue:

"Dude, you should totally take apart all your Legos and build a giant tower out of it!" - my friends

Right, like that's gonna happen. :sarcasm:

All I get now is,

"Are you gonna pick up the pieces,

And build a Lego house

If things go wrong you can knock it down"

:grin:

Seriously though, I've gotten that twice.

I clicked on the link and read the article. It's an opinionated, factually inaccurate, poorly written hack job..... and those were the high points

/rim shot/

#ThankYouVeryMuchI'mHereAllWeekEnjoyTheVeal

Ugh!! In one single article she reiterated the large majority of ALL annoying sayings we listed on this thread, with the obligatory "stepping on bricks".

I like how most of the reader responses demolish this ignorant dummy's piece of crap article.

The article writer is not the most informed. I think if she did some research, then she would realize how even with specialized pieces you can create unique and imaginative builds. I suppose she wants only standard 2x4 bricks to build everything in the world with and our mind will have to fill the gaps. Because that is the only creative thing to do... :look:

And her saying the new Architecture set aimed at adults doesn't even have instructions...it has a large 272 page instruction manual from the leading Architecture designers at LEGO. I'm pretty sure she has zero knowledge on what she is writing about, but because most of her readers probably don't either they will blindly follow what she says. Good thing the comments are going against what she wants.

As far as what I've heard in the past mostly involves asking me why I "play" with LEGO. I don't play, I build. I should start playing I guess just to appease them. Get out my cannons and have some Pirate-y goodness.

Let's never lose the ability to laugh at ourselves, or for that matter, our hobby. I appreciate people commenting on my lego display, as uniformed, humorous or without a clue their comments may be. :-)

Enjoy!

Let's never lose the ability to laugh at ourselves, or for that matter, our hobby. I appreciate people commenting on my lego display, as uniformed, humorous or without a clue their comments may be. :-)

Enjoy!

Wise words TomLego

Enjoy!

I agree with you, and I agree with eurotrash wise words indeed :classic:

Enjoy!

So true. A mother once saw me stacking a PAB cup and said to her son "ooh I'd love HIS job!" I couldn't let it pass and said I was not staff! She gave me a look as she processed this - astonishment, confusion, incomprehension and horror all rolled into one - then burst out laughing. I did too!

"You still play with LEGOs?" ~ Anonymous friend

Sometimes, they're a little more fun to hang out with and a little less judgmental than you. :wink:

Building with Lego is playing. And thank goodness for it! If you really want to build, Habit For Humanity can always use some help with real building projects.