Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

Of course a redesign of Greedo counts as new. He's not been in a set for 10 years, so he'll be all new prints and colours, along with the evident new head. Heck, if the give Luke back printing he'd be new. Ben is new, if they've updated since 2011.

Here are how I see the possibilities:

A) The "new" minifugres refer to new versions of existing characters, in which case we get a new Greedo as the first and 3 new and identical Bith band members as the second. However, this means the other characters are not "new", and will be identical to figures that have already been produced: we will get the same Ben Kenobi from the last Falcon and Landspeeder, with no leg printing.

B) The "new" minifigures refers to characters that have never been produced before. With 5 of the figures known to be "old", that means that the three squidward heads represent either a single new figure and 2 copies of a second new figure (i.e. band members). This also means that the "old" characters may feature unique printings.

C) Same as B, except that instead of having two copies of a "new" character, we only get a single copy and the third Squidward represents a new version of a previously released character (Jawa seems most likely, Chewie also possible but it seems unlikely they would make him squidward in the prelims). If this is the case.

As somebody who already owns the old Greedo, option A) would be VERY disappointing- The only truly new figure for me would be the Bith and a slight reworking of an already well produced figure. I think Wuher seems a very likely inclusion given the amount of floorspace given to the bar in this set. So I'd say option B) means Wuher and two Bith as the new figs, while option C) means Wuher and Ponda Baba

EDIT: The fact that other recent releases have referred to new printing of old characters as new (See Republic Gunship, AT-TE) definitely steers towards A) being correct, but I'm gonna hold out hope/denial that the retailer catalog (which doesn't have as much marketing put into it) uses the term differently than the box eventually will. Obiously Lego has every incentive to paste "new" all over the box as often as they can, but there isn't as much impetus to put it in a preliminary retail catalog. Or at least that's what I'm gonna tell myself to help me sleep at night.

Edited by jindianajonz

Which band members are we all hoping for (if we get any)? I personally would like to see Nalan Cheel and Figrin D'an.

Which band members are we all hoping for (if we get any)? I personally would like to see Nalan Cheel and Figrin D'an.

Aren't the three Bith band members identical in appearance? Even if they aren't, I doubt LEGO will bother to make the distinction. Kids aren't aware (heck, I'm not aware).

B) The "new" minifigures refers to characters that have never been produced before. With 5 of the figures known to be "old", that means

EDIT: The fact that other recent releases have referred to new printing of old characters as new (See Republic Gunship, AT-TE) definitely steers towards A) being correct, but I'm gonna hold out hope/denial that the retailer catalog (which doesn't have as much marketing put into it) uses the term differently than the box eventually will. Obiously Lego has every incentive to paste "new" all over the box as often as they can, but there isn't as much impetus to put it in a preliminary retail catalog. Or at least that's what I'm gonna tell myself to help me sleep at night.

The selling point of figures that have never been made before is greater than those that have been redesigned. While yes we all love for the most part newer versions of minifigs getting never before obtainable figs is going to be viewed by a retailer as giving it more value. Otherwise just about every set the lego makes could be labeled as new.

who is wuhur?

a search in wookiepedia returns with no results.

Please try 'Wuher' or just peek in here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wuher

No more SWTOR sets? What a shame. Would've liked to see more of those.

Yes, i agree. It would be great to have the SW universe furtherly expanded by this colourful era.

The description says 8 minifig and the box says 2 new figs. That just means 6 are not new.

I think so, too. More minifig molds (aliens! :wub: ) would indeed be highly welcome. At this price tag however, i don't think that we get more than 8 minifigs. Maybe the set is modular or we get some smaller addon to make Tatooine a more lively place! How about a moisture evaporator, some Tusken and Jawas. Anyone?! :sweet:

Those were some great sets, but I bet that Disney may have quelled any further production of those sets. They likely want LEGO to focus their energy and resources on the upcoming show and films. Still, even with the few sets we got, SWTOR gave us some stellar builds and figs.

I am afraid you're right. Too bad this era does not seem to be explored any further by TLG. I was sceptic in the beginning but the excellent reviews on this forum had changed my mind. While the Republic Fighter remains ugly as hell, the general subtheme is really appealing (no, i don't play the online game and still own all sets - some even mutiple times) and the minifigs are plain awesome! IMHO 75025 Jedi Defender Cruiser is a pinnacle of TLG design and set composition in it's own right...

I think so, too. More minifig molds (aliens! :wub: ) would indeed be highly welcome. At this price tag however, i don't think that we get more than 8 minifigs. Maybe the set is modular or we get some smaller addon to make Tatooine a more lively place! How about a moisture evaporator, some Tusken and Jawas. Anyone?! :sweet:

I have a strong feeling that the current price we've been told for the Cantina is false. Judging from what is included in the set, I'd think that at least $80-$90 is more accurate a price tag. Also, if the 8 fig count is correct, than $70 is way too little for that many figs, new or otherwise.

Also, I really doubt LEGO would make a battle pack style add-on set based on extra Cantina patrons. Sets that size are usually reserved for BPs only, and something slightly bigger, perhaps $30, would cause the wave to not be diverse enough. But this discussion train edges too close to wish-lists and future set talk, so I'll just stop now.

Are the prices we have heard supposed to be in USD? Because if that is the case, then they'll be at least 5-10% more expensive here in Canada.

More of tatooine would be great. More jawas would be great too. I imagine the vast majority of the SW sets we are going to see until the new movie are going to be from OT. Disney is going to push hard to get everyone up to the point of the end of episode vi so they can jump right into episode vii.

More of tatooine would be great. More jawas would be great too. I imagine the vast majority of the SW sets we are going to see until the new movie are going to be from OT. Disney is going to push hard to get everyone up to the point of the end of episode vi so they can jump right into episode vii.

I never looked at it that way, but that makes absolute sense. Hopefully the winter 2015 wave will give us some updated ROTJ sets, since this year seems pretty ANH/ESB heavy.

Also, aren't we in store for a new, big Sandcrawler? There's a strong chance for new Jawas, Tuskens, Owen and Beru, and the droids. Perhaps we'll even see a Bantha?

I never looked at it that way, but that makes absolute sense. Hopefully the winter 2015 wave will give us some updated ROTJ sets, since this year seems pretty ANH/ESB heavy.

Also, aren't we in store for a new, big Sandcrawler? There's a strong chance for new Jawas, Tuskens, Owen and Beru, and the droids. Perhaps we'll even see a Bantha?

From what i understand yes on the sandcrawler. Then a mix of Esb/Rotj with hope of getting cloud city and degobah. They are probably going to want to hit,the highlights.

I have a strong feeling that the current price we've been told for the Cantina is false. Judging from what is included in the set, I'd think that at least $80-$90 is more accurate a price tag. Also, if the 8 fig count is correct, than $70 is way too little for that many figs, new or otherwise.

I'm wondering that myself- The Cantina itself is pretty substantial, and even if you ignore the Dewback and the Landspeeder it already feels more massive than the new 75043 AT-PT, and that set only had 5 minifigs. I'm not about to sit down and do a piece-by-piece analysis, but the quoted estimate (I don't recall exactly, but I think it was around 660) seems a bit low- if we assume ~40 pieces for figures and accessories, another 20 or so pieces for the dewback and saddle, and probably 100 for the landspeeder, that only leaves ~500 pieces for the set itself. I guess the use of wall pieces could cut back on the piece count, but we can see a decently detailed bar, a brick built door, and a brick built from wall- 660 pieces just seems small for what we can see.

who is wuhur?

a search in wookiepedia returns with no results.

Wuher and a few of the other characters like Ponda Baba, etc that people are going mad for in this thread are some of the most obscure characters in the history of Star wars. They basically appear for a few minutes in the cantina scene and that's it. They are not even mentioned any further in the expanded universe literature (apart from the "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" book). Not quite sure why people are making such a big fuss here about their appearance or not in a set. That said if I had the choice between a new version of Obi Wan, Han or Luke (they must have at least 20 versions each so far) or the obscure characters I would choose the latter.

@Spyderlord: Good god, you must have a lot of time and patience in your hands to reply to all those posts. :classic:

Generally, I hope that the mystery behind the cantina set gets revealed soon because it is getting boring having to read page after page of people wishing/speculating/hoping that we get ponda baba, wuher, etc or not.

Edited by legolandia

Wuher and a few of the other characters like Ponda Baba, etc that people are going mad for in this thread are some of the most obscure characters in the history of Star wars. They basically appear for a few minutes in the cantina scene and that's it. They are not even mentioned any further in the expanded universe literature (apart from the "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" book). Not quite sure why people are making such a big fuss here about their appearance or not in a set.

To be fair, those characters are actually shown for more than two seconds and do things in the film. If people were asking for those twin white-skinned bounty hunter girls or any of the weird characters you see in the opening Cantina montage, I'd agree, but Ponda Baba, Wuher, and Evazan actually have roles in the film, albeit small ones. LEGO has made some pretty unimportant characters recently (especially in the Desert Skiff and Sailbarge sets, and in the new EpII sets), so to hope for characters that actually have more than one shot of screen time and do things doesn't seem so far fetched.

Oh... Why couldn't they just tell us what the figures will be?! All this ambiguity is going to my head!

In other news, I picked up Death Star Troopers. The figures are great, but the cannon is megablocks (not literally, thank goodness) the flick fire, even though it's pushed out by a technic rod, is terrible and just plummets when released.

Can't wait for official images!

If they made Ten Numb they can make Wuher, Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan!

Let's not mention B'Omarr Monk, Kithaba, Ree Yees, 2-1B, Zev Zenesca or even General Riekan who all have less screen time than the cantina trio!

Wuher and a few of the other characters like Ponda Baba, etc that people are going mad for in this thread are some of the most obscure characters in the history of Star wars. They basically appear for a few minutes in the cantina scene and that's it. They are not even mentioned any further in the expanded universe literature (apart from the "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" book). Not quite sure why people are making such a big fuss here about their appearance or not in a set. That said if I had the choice between a new version of Obi Wan, Han or Luke (they must have at least 20 versions each so far) or the obscure characters I would choose the latter.

@Spyderlord: Good god, you must have a lot of time and patience in your hands to reply to all those posts. :classic:

Generally, I hope that the mystery behind the cantina set gets revealed soon because it is getting boring having to read page after page of people wishing/speculating/hoping that we get ponda baba, wuher, etc or not.

Well to be honest I was five when Star Wars first came out. I dont really view any of the characters to be obscure. Sure some are obviously more important than others. But they all played a role in many, many, many hours of,playing Star Wars as a kid.

Fans are more likely to just buy one set and Bricklink a third Bith to finish the band. If there's only two Bith, that's definitely my plan.

You actually need seven Bith to make the band, plus another one for Lirin Car'n

Wuher and a few of the other characters like Ponda Baba, etc that people are going mad for in this thread are some of the most obscure characters in the history of Star wars. Not quite sure why people are making such a big fuss here about their appearance or not in a set.

Obscure characters are part of what makes Star Wars so interesting to many people. But of the 80 or so characters in the cantina scene Wuher, Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan are the least obscure after Greedo and the main cast since they actually have a major part in the action. If you want obscure, try Tzizvvt, Reegesk and Mosep Binneed.

This relates to 2014 SW pictures, so do you think we'll be seeing pictures of the late Summer/Fall (Cantina, etc.) wave at the London Toy Fair, or will it just be the ones we've already seen?

You actually need seven Bith to make the band, plus another one for Lirin Car'n

Huh... I didn't know that. Well, I'm fine with three.

Also, I just noticed that Vader is in the Star Destroyer (duh :sceptic: ). Hopefully he'll be new in some way!

I find it rediculous how so many people here think Disney has so much influence over what Lego does. Disney sells the license and would make a cut off the sales. I am sure the fact that the old republic sets are discontinuing has more to do with Lego than anything else. Lego's licensed sets are as profitable as the franchises are outside of Lego. I do not see the old republic has a popular line based on how the game fell below its benchmark.

Second, the fact that TLG would focus more on the OT may also have to do with the fact that more people are interested in the OT than before (thanks to an Episode 7). Do not think that a licensor, who is not a shareholder, can direct TLG to do what it wants.

Disney is not directing Lego to do what Disney wants. You guys need to get off the Disney bandwagon. Both Disney and Lego know that Lego knows best as to what will sell and how it shoukd be sold. Lego plans its sets in succession. It is not taking orders from Turkey, Disney, or Hezbollah.

Edited by Something_Awesome

To comment on the odd under priced sets, it might make sense for the bigger peace sets to be cheaper. I mean, the battle packs (which are bought in higher quantities) probably will generate the most revenue. I bet their market researchers discovered that it would be better for 100 people to buy a $70 set than have 50 people buy a $90 set.