Sign in to follow this  
Paul B Technic

Recording your failed MOC's?

Do you normally keep any record of your failed MOC's, photos or even a few notes on it?

I keep track of my "successful" MOC's on my blog but don't put up any that didn't work.

Today I spent the afternoon on a MOC only to find in the end it didn't work out, should I take any photos or notes on it to keep track of it in the future? Does anybody else do this?

I guess it depends if you want to try something similar again or not. I don't normally keep records of my failed MOCs, but I keep LDD files for stuff that didn't come out well, because they either contain interesting building technique or I hope I might get back to it one day.

Do you normally keep any record of your failed MOC's, photos or even a few notes on it?

No, the reason being I have no mocs recently that I had to abandon altogether when I was already halfway through. If something doesn't work out as I have imagined in the first place I always try to find an alternative solution and as I don't build very complicated mocs I always managed it so far. I don't keep record of my work in progress either so even if I had to abandon a moc there would probably remain no evidence whatsoever of it unless it was something very interesting that I might re-use in another moc.

I think I typically keep working on it until it does come out right. I don't do in process pictures/documentation only because I don't take the time. I rarely have time to document the finished build. I have lots that still needs pictures.

But if there is something interesting you want to incorporate in the future, I would recommend getting pictures of that set-up at least to know what you were doing years down the road when you've otherwise forgotten all about it.

For larger failed MOCs I put them aside on a table with other MOCs and sets either to be parted out or maybe to be finished or fixed. Or if it is a really crummy MOC, I dump it in the "to be sorted" bin. I don't keep track of my failed MOCs.

A failed Moc, I don´t understand what you mean :wink: ?

No I don´t, but I might keep a certain succeful part of it, like a SNOT-ed window, in one piece.

It depends how much I want the endresult, this means I often restart from the beginning, or where I still was satisfied.

Or I put it in the "to sort bin" (which is always too full :grin::tongue:)

But I will try to remember failed projects or ideas in my head.

^ I think he means a MOC that hasn't turned out right, and what you do with it after it fails.

Did irony become out of fashion in the 2100 century? I got that, hence the blink smiley.

I don't know that I have ever had what I would describe as a definitely failed MOC. They don't have a clear point of failure where I throw up my hands and abandon the idea. Rather they tend to get shuffled aside as I try and think of a fix or get bored with them, and then eventually eroded by the need for parts and workspace until they sort of dissolve into the jungle like an ancient ruin. Since I never actually concede failure I never really document it. At best I might have taken a picture or two before wandering away.

I tend to 'blueprint' what I wish to build on paper and/or virtually before even placing down one brick which includes several do-overs before getting it right. I don't know about keeping a record just for failed MOCs but I do keep pictures of everything built successful or not so I guess that is a means of recording.