pillpod

MOC: Mini Modular Apartments

I've designed a few mini modulars in LDD and decided to get the pieces for this one because it was my favorite so far. I like how it turned out. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Sorry for not putting the pictures in the actual post. I always get confused by the formatting.

Thanks for looking.

8871978991_4f40a66e64_z.jpg

Mini Grey and Blue Apartment by johnparilla, on Flickr

Edited by Rick
Embedded image

Sorry for not putting the pictures in the actual post. I always get confused by the formatting.

I've embedded an image for you.

It's really easy if you use flickr. Look here for a tutorial

This is great! I really like the classic look of the front facade and the features you've added to the backyard. Well done!

This is well done, pillpod! :thumbup:

I'd very much looking forward to see more of your LDD creations built with real bricks!

So long,

Jens

Thanks guys. I have a few more done in LDD now but I don't think they're worth bricks yet. So I'm starting another as we speak. Hopefully it'll be up and ready.

@moctown: Your minis are the gold standard, so thank you for the praise.

I just finished my second mini modular. It's a little pizza parlor to go with the above apartment building. I figure I'll keep this thread going instead of making a new one.

8941929354_13d27cd7b3_c.jpg

8941317531_289957de93_c.jpg

8941938464_341cb577cf_c.jpg

Next to the dumpster is a leftover pizza box that didn't make it into the trash. I used some old grey bricks I had from when I was a kid instead of ordering all new light bley bricks. Any comments or critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking.

I'm quite impressed. Such small scale, but genuis use of parts to create detail.

Nice to see your 'mini town' growing, pillpod! Good usage of that pizza tile - it makes me hungry! :wink:

How about adding a few more windows in the front and the rear site as well?

So long,

Jens

Thanks moctown. I'll probably throw in a few headlight windows on the backside. One thing I always struggle with is finding a way to get texture on the front facade, on the left and right sides. In the first one I used the headlight + tile combo, which I like a lot. The pizza place I used the middle columns and some masonry bricks. After that, I seem to be running out of ideas on getting a good texture on the front.

Thanks again.

Here's my latest mini modular. It's just an LDD rendering; I'd like some input on the color scheme. Any thoughts?

I couldn't find any examples of an inside corner modular (regular or mini) so I really winged it here.

9177527753_c6558c777a_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'm not a fan of the black roof in combination with the dark red and tan - maybe make the building grey to match the other ones? Also, the first floor seems awkwardly taller than the ground floor.

Now that you mention it, it does look out of proportion. I was thinking of possibly doing the ground floor dark grey and then the tan scheme above.

First of all I like the idea of building an 'inside corner house' - haven't seen such an execution yet - nice! :thumbup:

Regarding the color scheme I would agree with jamesn. How about raising the center section with a sort of rounded tower (with spire)?

Are you going to build it with real bricks?

Looking very much forward for an update! :wink:

I like the idea of a rounded tower and spire. Building a traditional sloped roof with that inside corner is quite difficult.

Do you think an all light bley and dark red would be nice (instead of tan and dark red)?

I'll eventually build it with real bricks...though not anytime soon. Maybe in the coming months. I don't have any of the bricks to build it, sadly. I chose tan because I have a lot of 1x4 tan bricks.

I actually just threw together a new mini with bricks I had laying around. I have a lot of red and yellow pieces from when I was a kid...so I decided to use those colors. Hence, it's pretty ugly but every downtown area needs an ugly building, right?

9187009100_f0c80a54a8_c.jpg

9187007116_bfde6369f4_c.jpg

Here's my latest mini modular. It's just an LDD rendering; I'd like some input on the color scheme. Any thoughts?

I love the colour scheme and overall look of this one. I have to agree though that the middle floor looks out of proportion and could be reduced by the height of one brick. You'd need to lose the window in the inside corner, but I think the dark red diamond feature would be enough by itself.

I also like the red and yellow one. Don't mind that colour scheme at all, but I do think the roof doesn't fit really fit with the rest of the building. I think it would probably look better in black and using roof tiles that are two bricks high.

Thanks for your comments Kristel. I agree about the roof; I don't have much inventory on hand and most of it is from 15-20 years ago. I'll have to scrounge up some more roof pieces.

I modified the tan and red one a little bit. I actually added a brick to the ground floor. I think it looks better now. I'll probably take moctown's suggestion and add a central tower/spire to the corner portion. I'll update the thread once I get that done.

BTW, those windows on the red and yellow mini are very old. They don't have traditional connections on the bottom; very odd.

Started a new mini the other day in LDD. I have some orders set up to get the pieces but haven't finalized them yet. What do you guys think of it? It's a mini version of Ollivander's Wand Shop from 10217 Diagon Alley.

9203019361_5b7b551c0d_z.jpg

Pillpod, you have a Eurobricks account? :oh:

The modulars look nice! My favorite is the apartment building... Its essence is something that can only be captured as a mini-modular. :thumbup:

Edited by just2good

I do! I don't browse here as much but I come here to share MOCs so I can see what others think about them. The apartment is my favorite too. Grey and blue is my favorite color combo for a lot of things...lego, shoes...etc.