Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Darkmire Mill - Dark Isle Saga: Chapter 1, Part 6

The Dark Isle Saga

Chapter 1: Grim Hollow

Part 6

Taryn and Sarlina had spilled the vial of liquid on Haldur's scroll, revealing hidden knowledge that could help magically restore the land of Avalonia. However, they had been attacked and would have been killed if it wasn't for the intervention of Ella.

Ella had revealed that dark forces were plotting to take control of Avalonia and that they were coming for the scroll, killing anyone who stood in their way. The seeds of conflict were sewn as Ella believed the scroll should be destroyed and that men should take up arms together and fight back, resulting in a united Historica. Sarlina on the other hand believed that men were weak and the only way to bring peace to the land was by ancient magical powers, she did not want a united Historica, thinking that the other lands were untrustworthy. She wanted an all powerful Avalonia that ruled all. Poor Taryn was caught in the middle.

Ella had urged that they must make haste to her brother Owain, who was camped at Darkmire Mill. The enemy knew they had the scroll and would now be coming for them so Ella knew she must get them to the safety of her brother and his men.

The journey to Darkmire Mill was a short one, for Ella kept a quick pace that the others struggled to keep up with but they somehow managed to. Knowing that the enemy could not be far behind they raced on, spurred by the thought of more dark warriors snapping at their heels.

Sarlina had been sullen and quiet, she did not agree with Ella's plans to destroy the scroll and she was planning to secretly slip away. Taryn tried making conversation but Sarlina was not in the talkative mood so he walked on, doing the best he could to keep up with Ella. Taryn's head was a mess, so much had happened in the last few days that his life had been completly turned upside down. He thought of home and his father, would he even ever see either of them in this life again? It suddenly dawned on him that maybe he was in over his head. One minute he had been a young lad living an everyday life, enjoying hunting and a good drink. The next he was running for his life, pursued by forces that wanted him dead. No one had ever wanted to kill him before, that realization kicked in and he wished he was a child again. He thought about walking away from it all but could he even do that? Would it make a difference now anyway? It would only be prolonging the inevitable, eventually the dark forces would soon sweep through his village and people would die or be enslaved. No, the world was changing, the light was fading and Avalonia was teetering on the edge of darkness.

For many years now, the people of Avalonia had been pushed back and back by the enemy, all that had remained had fled to the Dark Isle. They now stood with their backs to the wall as the enemy circled around, gearing up for their final assault. It was time to choose his destiny, to turn and run home and wait for the end or to make a stand and fight. Better to die fighting, than to die cowering in your home. Taryn knew what he had to do, he knew there was really only one choice and he believed in Ella, she had given him hope. He was 18 summers old and it was time he became a man.

After a grueling walk the trio finally reached the edge of forrest and there ahead lay Darkmire Mill, salvation at last.

Darkmire Mill: Located north west of Grim Hollow village below the rocky terrain of Steeple Brink. The mill was an old building and had once flourished, serving the village for many years. However, the once plentiful rushing spring that fed the mill had now all but dried up, leaving only a small trickling flow that slowly made its way down through the land. The great water wheel now stood motionless, the spillway was blocked with debris and the wide riverbed was now a thick muddy trail. It was here in this abandoned spot that Owain waited with his men, a lot fewer than expected!

The trio walked wearily up towards the mill and into the courtyard where Owain waited.

"Ah little sis, 'bout time you got here." Owain boomed. "I thought I was going to have to come looking for you, infact I was hoping to!"

Ella smiled and embraced him. "Why?" she asked laughing.

"Boredom" smiled Owain. "I've been stuck here for three days with no one to fight and no mead to drink." He laughed then turned his gaze towards Taryn and Sarlina, a look of amusement crossed his face as he looked them over.

"So you found them then?" he snorted then laughed. "They don't look like much." he laughed.

Sarlina moved forward and frowned.

"Really?" she mocked. "Is this it? Two spearmen and a drunk?" she shook her head. "Pathetic!" she hissed.

Ella rolled her eyes while Taryn kept his head bowed. Owain just laughed. "She's a fiesty one isn't she!" he laughed again. "I'd quite happily take on the whole enemy army myself, easy work, a mornings work, which would leave the rest of the day free for drinking!" He smiled and laid a reassuring hand on Sarlina's shoulder. "I have sent the rest on ahead this morning to make sure the path is clear. Within a day we will have joined up them and Artorious."

"He's arrived then? Where is he camped?" asked Ella eagerly.

"Artorious arrived two days ago." replyed Owain. "He sent word that he is camped near Steeple Brink forest."

Ella frowned. "North of the church?" she asked.

"Somewhere out there." Owain replyed. "We are to head there and meet him as soon as you arrive. Seeing as you are now here I guess we should get moving soon."

8660299439_133c15eccf_c.jpg

Sarlina turned and stepped across the stream then looked back towards the others.

"At least give us a moments rest before we move again!" she shouted.

Ella nooded and Taryn walked over to Sarlina, stepping carefully over the wet slippery mud of the riverbed.

Owain watched them, then turned to speak to Ella.

"We can't stay too long sis, enemy spearmen can't be more then half a day's journey away. We need to join up with Artorious." he urged.

"I know" replyed Ella. "But they have been through a lot, so a short rest will do them good."

A look of concern crossed her face. "I'm worried about the girl, she believes we should use the scroll to unleash the ancient powers on the enemy. I fear she won't easily back down."

Owain rubbed his chin then frowned. "That scroll will cause nothing but trouble, it must be destroyed. I'm sure we can make her see sense." he smiled.

"I hope so." Ella said woefully. "I sense a strong fire burning within that girl."

"And the boy?" asked Owain.

Ella smiled. "I think he'll surprise us all."

8663514434_c496a2a06f_z.jpg

They turned and looked over to where Taryn and Sarlina were talking beneath an old tree.

"The lad won't last long without some propper armor." joked Owain. "In fact I think its time we both suit up, I fear there are many long bloody battles ahead." he grinned, looking forward to the prospect of a fight.

Owain was Ella's older brother and even though he called Taryn a 'boy', he was infact only a couple of years older then him. Owain was a hardened warrior, all brute strength who had fought many battles He was well built with strong arms and had an overwhelming lust for the fun parts of life, particularly mead and ale. His prefered weapon of choice was a broadsword but with any type of weapon Owain was a man to fear. One of Artorious' most trusted warriors and destined for great things.

Salina was standing under a tree where Taryn had followed to talk with her. She still seemed angered and this made Taryn feel uneasy.

"Are you still planning on leaving?" Taryn asked.

"Of course!" Sarlina replyed. "I'm not going to wait around and watch while Avalonia slips into darkness." she nodded towards Owain and Ella. "They can cling on and follow their hopes of fighting back but I tell you now, it will fail."

"I believe in them." replyed Taryn.

"The only thing we need to believe in is the scroll." hissed Sarlina. "I will unleash the ancient powers upon the enemy and watch them scatter."

She looked at Taryn then smiled and reached for his hands, holding them tight. "It is the only way to save us Taryn, you have to trust me." she said softly. "Avalonia will be restored and rule all, you'll see." she smiled.

Taryn slowly nodded in agreement.

Why were things in life always so difficult?

"Don't fear Taryn." she soothed. "Once we all make a move from here we will wait for the chance to slip away during the night and together we will summon the ancient powers."

Again Taryn nodded.

Sarlina smiled and then they both walked back over to the mill.

8663493306_57464ffc72_z.jpg

They came back to find that Owain and Ella had now dressed in their full war gear, both looking splendid in their polished armor which glittered in the sun. Owain had brought out a spare set of armor which lay at his feet and he grinned when Taryn noticed it.

"That's for you Taryn." Owain nodded towards the armor. "It will help protect you for what lies ahead."

Taryn starred at the armor with an excited look on his face, he had never worn a suit of armor before.

8660297543_594f797a08_z.jpg

Taryn pulled on the armor and was shocked at how heavy and cumbersome it felt.

Owain laughed.

"Don't worry, it grows on you. You'll soon get used to it and in battle you will be too busy to notice the weight."

Taryn lifted the sword and gave a few cuts in the air with it, then moved around to get a feel for the armor. It was heavy but it also made him feel powerful and important. He felt like a warrior and he thanked Owain for the gift.

"It suits you well Taryn." Ella smiled. Sarlina rolled her eyes and looked the other way.

"Maybe a spot of practice is in order, eh Taryn?" boomed Owain. "Would you like to do the honors sis?" Owain laughed.

"With pleasure!" Ella grinned and drew her swords.

"Lets see what you're made of Taryn." said Owain. "You can learn a lot from Ella but be careful, she's fast." he laughed.

Taryn pulled his helm's visor down over his face and hefted his sword and shield.

8661392052_bbc6b74a0e_z.jpg

Ella rushed at Taryn, cutting left and right with her swords. She was extremely quick and agile, jumping and lunging at him, never giving him a moments pause. Taryn desperately defended himself, parrying with his sword and shield, trying to deflect her strikes and give himself an opening to strike back. Her attacks pushed him back across the stream and he found himself struggling for footing amongst the rocks and slippery mud. He managed to slide one of her swords past his left flank with his shield, then he backswung with all his might sending his sword towards her chest in a swirling arc. Ella gracefully stepped back as light as a dancer and spread both her arms wide as Taryns' sword swirled just inches past her chest. She smiled and bowed.

"Thats more like it it." she laughed. Then lept forward once again attacking him in the same fast manner.

8661394014_5290b304f5_z.jpg

Again Taryn was driven back on the defensive. Ella was just too quick and try as he might, he just couldn't manage to get past her guard. She drove him back towards the old tree where he found himself parrying blow after blow that Ella rained down on him. He soon found himself begining to tire and so in a last ditch effort he pushed forward with his shield and then lunged at Ella. She had expected that move and stepped to the side leaving Taryn off balance and flying forward.

8661385406_5eed9a49d9_z.jpg

Taryn fell forward onto the ground spraying up dirt. He turned to see Ella smiling at him with her swords aimed down towards his chest and neck.

"Your mine now Taryn!" she laughed, then pulled back and sheathed her weapons.

Taryn felt embarrassed and looked over to where Sarlina stood watching with a smirk on her face. He pulled himself up and lifted his visor, sweat poured down his face as he caught his breath. Ella walked over to face him.

"It's ok Taryn" she said softly. "I was trained to fight from the moment I was able to grasp a sword." she gave him a hug and kissed his cheek. "You did well."

Taryn blushed and stammered his thanks.

8661388236_ed15d39ab2_z.jpg

The two of them walked back up to where Owain was standing. Sarlina seemed not to care and stood staring out towards the distance but Owain seemed impressed.

"You did well." he nodded. "Not many people can withstand an onslaught like that but you managed to defend a lot better than I thought. We will need to work on your attacking skills but at least you can defend well. We'll make a warrior out of you yet!" he laughed, then gave Taryn a pat on the back and beamed a friendly smile.

"A warrior?" Sarlina scoffed. "There won't be any time for that i'm afraid." she nodded towards the distance. "Take a look over there!"

Owain and the others looked down towards the direction of Hangman's Watch from where they had walked from just earlier. Two dark wisps of smoke streaked the skylkine.

The enemy was coming and was closer than they had expected.

8660278533_cba92f4d0d_z.jpg

The two remaining spearmen who had been standing guard rushed over to Owain.

"Enemy camp fires sir, they can't be more then 2 miles away!" said the spearmen.

Owain cursed and spat on the ground in disgust.

"Bastards, they are closer than we thought. We have to move now!" he shouted.

Ella turned towards Owain.

"I could go and distract them, lead them away to give the rest of you some time." she spoke urgently.

"No!" cried Taryn. "You'd be killed and they would still catch up to us."

"He's right." replyed Owain. "Its too dangerous, we must to stick together and try to make our way to Artorious in time."

Ella nodded. "Then lets go then, if we can just get to Artorious we can make a stand."

Sarlina shook her head and cursed softly. "And what if we don't get there in time?" she snarled.

"We will!" snapped Ella back. "If they catch up to us then we stand and fight!"

"Aye!" shouted Owain. "Lets get going and if we're lucky we might get to kill some of those bastards along the way!"

So the group quickly left the mill and began their desperate journey to reach Artorious' camp. There would be no time for rest, the enemy was moving fast and would soon be upon them. All hope now lay on reaching their destination before the enemy spears came crashing down to take their souls to the afterlife.

8660280889_472aac30a1_c.jpg

To be continued...

Love the landscape colors and the main build. I don't love the water fall for whatever reason.

Anyhow, I really like the color scheme you've been using for this saga. It is awesome. The trees are also excellent. You've really nailed the organic and run down feel of these.

Once again a truely beautiful creation by our Master Builder. However, first time I ever say anything like this, but I don't like the water either because the water is higher than the sourounding bank, that actually doesn't make much sense to me

PS: as an old AC/DC fan I'm of course extremely found of your current siganture "fire"!!

Once again a truely beautiful creation by our Master Builder. However, first time I ever say anything like this, but I don't like the water either because the water is higher than the sourounding bank, that actually doesn't make much sense to me...

Actually I believe the water is lower than the surroundings, it's just the angle that makes it look odd.

I do agree with Z that the waterfall seems odd in that it's not going where you would naturally think... though I do realize it's supposed to be an old and no longer functioning waterwheel. However, truly fantastic work with the roof and the landscaping is wonderful. Love the rockwork in particular!

Thanks guys!

I hear what you are all saying, although Kai NRG is right, the water is actually lower than its surrounding. If you look closely on some of the pictures you will see it is sunk down a few plates lower and the rest of the brown riverbed is higher showing where the river once flowed. Originally the water would have run down the wooden spillway and fall onto the wheel but over the years it has become blocked by fallen debris, branches, sticks, leaves etc. So the remaining water now trickles down past it in the angle I have shown. I placed some plants and sticks infront of the spillway toi show that it is blocked. The water section was always going to be difficult as its not just the case of building a nice flowing river, I had to try and show that the river had faded away to a small stream. This keeps with the whole feel and look of the world. Its also why I had to use trans-clear plates as every other colour clashed with the color palette i'm using.

Thanks for reading, much appreciated.

DC

DC, actually once you realize the water is lower than the bank that part looks quite nice (though I didn't quite get the impression of a big river fading away), but about the waterfall, I think the problem is you can't quite tell, from the pictures, that the way is blocked. I see some vines but it looks like water could get through pretty easily. Perhaps some more debris actually spilling out onto the wheel (which does look like it's in remarkably good condition) or at least farther up (or down) the spillway would add to the effect?

Of course, all that is completely minor when you consider the MOC as a whole, the ruined condition does have a stunning effect!

I personally am a fan of this water effect. It makes it look more alive and is easier to imagine the movement of water. The olive vine on the mill looks great with the brown droid arms. The arms make it look like it's dry and dying and reaching for water at the bottom. The tree in the rock looks like it could just fall over with it's roots hanging out. Great effect! Is the water wheel made with string? The door is really cool too. Thanks for posting so many close up pics.

I, myself, am a big fan of the shields the soldiers are using. The best thing to come out of KKII.

About the single plate height difference for some of the trans-plates: water does not always spread out to fill the width of the bottom of a gully when going downhill.

DC, you are a master.

Incredible work yet again, I've been waiting to comment til I see them here so I can read the story at the same time.

The colors in the landscape give an incredible atmosphere and after seeing some closeups of the stream I think you achieved the look you were going for :thumbup:

While I've loved the style of the builds so far in The Dark Isle Saga, I'm excited to see what the new style will be :classic:

An inspiration as always. We are not worthy!

:classic:

Great build as always! In addition to a lot that has already been mentioned, I really like the door on the house. Really nice effect with the ironwork on that one! But at least on my phone I can't seem to recognize the piece usen for the handle?

Excellent as always mate! The colours are just so perfect for this! And the trees, I love them!!! I just want more! :)