GRogall

Winter Village 10235 Winter Village Market

(snip) I love Lego, but i had to share this as well, after posting almost only positive posts...... Greetz, LegoSjaak

You're not alone. I really _want_ to like this set but when it gets right down to it, the whole "Winter Market" conceit with lots of little builds just doesn't work for me. I would have been happier if they'd simply marketed the "Winter Village Carousel" by itself, ditched the little booths, and lowered the price accordingly. I feel like I'm paying to dollar for a bunch spare parts for which I have no immediate need.

The wife and I put this together this past weekend.

I found placing the 1x1 translucent round pieces on the middle tower of the carousel to be a bit monotonous and I had the same issue with the axle being a bit too long in the turning mechanism that was previously mentioned.

Otherwise, it's a very well designed set and a lot of fun to build.

One thing I thought I'd point out is that turning the carousel is a lot smoother than I thought it looked in the video.

It's really quite smooth and the rocking of the horses is not jerky as I had expected.

Edited by lomis

Is it just me, but I thought the set was an OK price?! In NZD it comes to $180, which is a lot for us, when I normally buy Lego for my daughter and aim to spend $80 or under. But it has 1261 bricks, 9 minifigures (and more females than males!) and the moving parts in the carousel which we don't have any of - 5yo DD not yet at the age for technics. I was planning on buying Olivia's House for $150 or the Creator family home for $130 which have half the parts and far fewer minifigures. I know I am comparing apples with oranges, mind.

The only issue for me is once Xmas is over, so will the playability. I'd assume, anyway?

e_10235_detail_3_200.jpg f_10235_detail_4_200.jpg

u_10235_accessories_1_200.jpg

I liked building this set. I just received my copy last Friday. There are only two issues I have with it. The glass bulbs on the lamp posts would not fasten together properly at the top. I suspect that the pegs were not carved quite right. The other issue surprised me and that is the axle used to attach the bucket gear to the top technic plate for the stall next to the merry-go-round. Astrid used a tan axle/Technic pin which causes the plate to bow by a millimetre. I realized she should have used one of the red axles instead. (there are 12 in the set). Even though it doesn't 'connect' to the plate it keeps the bucket gear from shifting and does not bow the plate. I was really surprised this subtle flaw was not noticed and put into production. All in all though I do like the set and the amount of mini-figures since this was also my first 'winter set'. I really wish now I had spent the money on the other ones seeing as 3 of them are discontinued...

Edited by Wodanis

Is it just me, but I thought the set was an OK price?! In NZD it comes to $180, which is a lot for us, when I normally buy Lego for my daughter and aim to spend $80 or under. But it has 1261 bricks, 9 minifigures (and more females than males!) and the moving parts in the carousel which we don't have any of - 5yo DD not yet at the age for technics. I was planning on buying Olivia's House for $150 or the Creator family home for $130 which have half the parts and far fewer minifigures. I know I am comparing apples with oranges, mind.

The only issue for me is once Xmas is over, so will the playability. I'd assume, anyway?

I'm planning to put it on a green or grey baseplate, when the winter is over (here in the dark north) then it can work fine in the spring, summer and fall.

A lot of people have commented on the pin piece causing problems with fit and I never noticed an issue with it. Everything clicked just fine on mine and I ordered it mid October, so a little after it went on sale. I can't imagine they fixed the problem that quickly? But maybe they did.

I didn't mind the little stands so much, but I agree, I'd take just the carousel part and have it at a lower price to go along with the other sets. Although I don't think it fits in as well in all honesty. I don't picture wanting to ride rides and play games when it is snowy/cold outside. I can imagine doing these things in the fall before it gets too chilly, but once it snows it is a sled/snowman time, not carnival games (for me at least).

But the set is quite fun once built, so I don't have any issues with it.

I recently ordered and this past weekend built the WV Market. I did not have any issues with the tan axel/technic pin bowing the technic plate at all. While here is Wisconsin, I can't recall any similar winter fair type activities, I do recall as a kid a winter festival with various tents for food and hot chocolate and other various winter activities. I have, though, seen similar winter fairs in T.V. shows and movies to that of the WV Market. All in all, I think it is a nice little set, with some variety.

Sal

WFB, WI

This set is now labeled as "retired" at all shop at home sites other than North America. Does anyone know if this set will be back at the end of this year? Normally they just list it as "sold out" if they are bringing it back. As far as I know there has never been an item that has been labelled as "retired" and then come back. It is curious as this set has had a very short run.

Thanks for any input anyone can give :)

This set is now labeled as "retired" at all shop at home sites other than North America. Does anyone know if this set will be back at the end of this year? Normally they just list it as "sold out" if they are bringing it back. As far as I know there has never been an item that has been labelled as "retired" and then come back. It is curious as this set has had a very short run.

Thanks for any input anyone can give :)

It will be back. I contacted LEGO and this is their reply:

"I had reached out to see if the set 10235 Winter Village Market will be back in stock. I have some great news for you! This item will be back during the Christmas season! Due to the fact that it is a seasonal item, that is why we had marked it retired for the time being on our website."

I assumed it would be back. They seem to keep a couple winter sets each Christmas season. They will come out with a new one this year and have the market. I don't know if they will do the cottage again.

Bought this winter village market at a local supermarket...

It doesn't even have a name, only the Lego number...

481117a0-a41e-4096-99b9-bee5519b75d3_zps5352bf37.jpg

Bought this winter village market at a local supermarket...

It doesn't even have a name, only the Lego number...

481117a0-a41e-4096-99b9-bee5519b75d3_zps5352bf37.jpg

USA Version comes with name and pieces numbers. European Version Doesn't come with name and pieces numbers!

Enjoy the set

Has anyone tried to motorize the carousel? I've never messed with motors before for lego and was looking for an easy way to attach the power functions m motor. Was thinking about using a shorter version of the axel that protrudes through the roof and placing the motor vertically on top. I'm unsure of the torque the motor produces and how much support it needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i tried to motorize mine, using the power functions set, and when connected directly to the main shaft which turns everything, it fair rockets along!! would love to work out how to slow it down. mine isnt the remote control PF, so no variable speed. i did find a video on youtube where the builder had attached another large gear, the same size as the cups one, to the top of the main shaft, but i couldnt see if they have done anything else on the back. all other videos have the remote versions, so no help.

Yeah, there is more than enough space for the large gear, that's fine.. it's just that the plate doesn't fit if you use the pin.

There are no 5L axles in this set and the manual (B2,P10) is quite clear about this:

THpc8po.jpg

Like i said, it was easy to fix using a 2L axle (from my own collection, there are no spare 2L axles in the set itself) in stead of the pin.

CJRTod0.jpg

Edit: Solution image added and I've sent an email to Lego about this. I'm curious what their opinion is :-)

Just wanted to thank you for the detailed pics and solution here. I got my set about 6 weeks ago and built it last week. As the instructions go, the plate felt like it was less-than-desirably secure, and bent ever so slightly. So I dug around and found a spare 2L axle and implemented your solution and it worked wonderfully. Thanks again! :thumbup:

I built my set today. My copy features updated instructions and content and also uses a 2L axle instead of the pin. :)

I built my set today. My copy features updated instructions and content and also uses a 2L axle instead of the pin. :)

Good to hear! Always happy to see TLG listen and fix issues.

I had no thought to buy this when it came out but after moving to Germany my children want the set since it is a Christmas Market. 99€ is keeping me from saying yes...

This set is now sold out on the US S&H site. When I was in the Lego store on December 2, there were stacks of them. I bought one then, because Santa's workshop was already gone, and that was the last remaining holiday set available for purchase. My prediction was that it would sell quicker with no other "competition" around. It looks like a nice set and would hate to miss a chance to have a carousel.