Thanks SR71 for finding that movie. I did an LXF based on it. Since not all parts are available in LDD (e.g. panels, 9L link and pneumatic shock), I used some 'alternates'. Feel free to download/update/improve. Would be nice if a POV is made as I do not recall one exists. ...

Will this do?

8450-2_kopie.jpg

bigger version here: http://www.brickshel...Misc/8450-2.jpg

Haven't looked into the model itself but i guess some of the missing panels are available in LDD...

i've added some of the panels but haven't placed them correctly.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6023995

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Can you let me know what technique you used to capture the screen shots for the plane instructions? When the Lego software is running, it seems to take over my computer and any attempt to use screen capture tools fail. I have the cybermaster set in addition to 8450 and would like to capture the instructions for the ATV model (as I believe it is called - Lego don't appear to have named it) and post them on brickfactory.info and/or peeron.

I used this tool:

http://download.cnet.com/ShotTheScreen/3000-20432_4-10967812.html

and assigned a special key to generate a screenshot for each step.

After that, I used the batch features of XnView to batch-cut all the images files to 640x480, and to batch-rename them.

I used this tool:

http://download.cnet...4-10967812.html

and assigned a special key to generate a screenshot for each step.

After that, I used the batch features of XnView to batch-cut all the images files to 640x480, and to batch-rename them.

OK, thanks. Once I have the screen shot images I can write something to batch cut and rename them under Linux. I have yet to install my cybermaster CD but with any luck I should be able get access to the ATV instructions soon (I have a 32bit XP machine that seems to install and play the 8450 CD without any problems).

Will this do?

8450-2_kopie.jpg

bigger version here: http://www.brickshel...Misc/8450-2.jpg

Haven't looked into the model itself but i guess some of the missing panels are available in LDD...

i've added some of the panels but haven't placed them correctly.

http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=6023995

Thank you very much JunkstyleGio ... I had totally forgotten about this thread. Looks very nice indeed.

Edited by DrJB

So, I finally managed to get a *new* copy of this elusive set, at a deal I could not pass up.

Problem is: I could not get the software to install on a Windows 7 machine, it stops after it tries to install QuickTime 3 ... and refuses to do anything else.

Has anyone figured a workaround or need I install an XP Virtual Machine ?

Edited by DrJB

If you are just looking for the instructions, they individual QuickTime videos can be found on the CD but you won't know in which order to view the files. I seem to remember that someone put them all in order and posted it on YouTube.

Thank you Blakbird. For a while I thought I was having a 'monologue' on this thread (and that of the Murcielago).

I was able to find the MOV files on the CD. They were in a hidden folder and the naming appears random. So far the rest of the CD appears useless, but I will explore a VM installation this weekend. I also found the assembly movie you mentioned on daily-motion. Someone went through the arduous task of stitching together many individuals MOVs.

Hi all,

I thought this would make for a nice first post. A little while ago I screen-captured the instructions for 8450. They can be found at:

http://www.bricksafe.com/pages/ajo78

I haven't tried to build it yet using these instructions, so let me know if you find any problems.

Cheers, Arnold

I was able to find the MOV files on the CD. They were in a hidden folder and the naming appears random. So far the rest of the CD appears useless, but I will explore a VM installation this weekend. I also found the assembly movie you mentioned on daily-motion. Someone went through the arduous task of stitching together many individuals MOVs.

I have the CD and an old Win98 laptop, and I confirm that you are not missing anything. The software is more annoying than it is helpful. The problem is that you need it for instructions since there no printed instructions.

I recall the randomly named MOV files. You have little to no chance of deciphering them on your own. That's why the video is so useful. I'm glad you were able to find it.

I thought this would make for a nice first post. A little while ago I screen-captured the instructions for 8450. They can be found at:

Wow, thanks! That must have been a tremendous amount of work. This is actually even better than the video because:

1. It takes up much less space
  2. It does not require you to sit through an animation to get to each step.

Thank you, that is indeed a very nice PDF.

I discovered one more 'miss' about this set. The set does does not come with a Technic Figure and yet neither Blickink nor Peeron list it in the set's inventory.

My mistake. See post #38 below.

Edited by DrJB

For those of you still interested in this set, there is an MSIB from Italy for 100 Euros on Bricklink. Not the deal of the century but still pretty good in my book.

Good Luck.

I discovered one more 'miss' about this set. The set does come with a Technic Figure and yet neither Blickink nor Peeron list it in the set's inventory.

Are you sure about that? My copy of this set does not have a figure. The figure in the original post is not from this set.

Are you sure about that? My copy of this set does not have a figure. The figure in the original post is not from this set.

I'll take a picture tonight and post it. The bags are still sealed.

Later that same day:

Got it and ... I was wrong :blush: .

I had bought both 8450 and 8482 from the same seller on eBay, and somehow one of the 8482 bags was in the 8450's box. Puzzle Resolved!

8482.jpg

Edited by DrJB

Thanks for this review, I always thought these Cybermaster kits looked very cool, though apparently the actual game is quite underdeveloped. I just love that futuristic era of Technic, and really prefer the aesthetics of circa-Y2K sets versus post-2005 sets. I also dig the old CD-ROM kits that Lego released back then, like 8428 Turbo Command!. Since getting back into Lego as an adult a few years ago (I'm 27 now) I've been interested in Cybermaster, but couldn't find much in the way of details.

I'll have to add these 2 to my collection, I'd really like to build that 8450 Jet with the scout integrated. You older folks may only be interested in the instructions, but I want the full experience as originally intended just like it was in 1998, on an old Win98 PC with the serial programming and all :laugh:

Edited by radiant7

I did buy both sets few weeks ago and the desire to get them was stronger than the urge to build them. Either that or fatherhood is getting in the way of my hobby.

LIN, thank you for this excellent review! Cybermaster is an awesome theme :thumbup:

The only drawbacks of these sets are the CD-only instructions, but I managed to recover important videos:

Enjoy!

Motorized Jet:

Helicopter:

Plane:

All-Terrain Vehicle:

Crusher:

Stinger:

Concept art of the set: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0fef/bc1yccxhit8bkhlzg.jpg

Edited by LambdaCore 21

Hello all,

First time poster here.  I’ve recently been getting back into my childhood LEGO Technic, especially the computer controlled sets (I’ve even bought an old Windows 98 laptop to get the full experience without faffing around with emulators) – MindStorms, Spybotics etc. including 8482 Cybermaster and this set, 8450 Mission.

As such, I’ve been looking for reviews of the set to see whether anyone else looks back on these sets with the same misty eyed reminiscing that I do and in doing so, I came upon this thread.  Reading the thread I noticed there were a few questions that I knew I could elaborate on so decided to sign up to EB so that I could.  So…

Firstly, I completely agree, putting instructions only on CD was one of the worst decisions LEGO ever made.  Thank goodness the videos they consist of are available without installing the software or have been uploaded to YouTube!

8482 Cybermaster has the following primary features:

• Area 15 (See what they did there…) – where the truck can be driven and interacted with, controlling it manually at the PC or programming an automatic set of actions/reactions (think of it as MindStorms “Light”).
  • The Colosseum – where the gladiators Crusher and Stinger can be played with, in either one player (with Crusher in automatic mode) or two player (with Crusher in manual mode, controlled at the PC).
  • Joe’s Garage – where ideas for three wheeled, four wheeled and tracked base models are provided, as a basis for creating and programming your own MOCs.  This is a theme with 8482 and 8450 – providing the basis and encouragement to create custom models.

The contents of 8450 Mission have already been well explained by the original poster so I won’t repeat that, however, I do have these comments to add:

• The jet plane – Whilst it does not interact with a PC like Cybermaster does, the set was designed such that the software accompanied playing with the plane.  There are a number of prescribed missions, employing the various tools.  Playing along with the software then provides sound effects for the plane you as play along (take off, level flight, landing etc.) and every so often, the mission would be interrupted by “technical issues” you had to solve – this involved putting the plan down and returning to the PC intermittently.  These were simple Pacman style games that had to be successfully completed in order to successfully complete the mission.  The difficulty level and frequency of the interruptions could be set too.  Eventually you build up a log/leader board of missions and how successful they were.  It wasn’t revolutionary but it was fun and I’ve never been into computer games so one involving swooshing a LEGO Technic jump jet was much more me!
On 2/4/2013 at 6:14 PM, Lost_In_Noise said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the bomb dropping feature, since Lego toys are almost never violent, except when it fits the certain theme.

• Interesting you should say that, they’re not actually bombs – they’re beacons.  In the animations included in the software explaining the tools and missions, the yellow, round 2×2 bricks are actually shown to glow.  The narrative tells us these beacons are designed to safely guide the ATV (see further down) across the planet’s surface.  Weirdly though, bombs did play another role in this set (see later on).
  • The alternative bonus models – the helicopter, the propeller plane, small jet plane and hang glider could also be utilised in this manner.  They also aren’t technically the set’s official B Model – I’ll come to that later.
On 2/4/2013 at 6:14 PM, Lost_In_Noise said:

This is a very odd looking chopper. It has wheels in the front, but the claw in the back prohibits it from rolling.

• On the helicopter and plane, there’s a good reason they don’t look finished – because they’re not.  In an idea that ranks with CD-only instructions, the instructions for these models are deliberately incomplete.  Again, the idea being that the user should use their imagination to complete them.  The narrative tells us that the helicopter is an incomplete prototype we need to finish and the propeller plane is a recovered wreck in the middle of refurbishment.  “Engineering sketches” of how they might look are provided and can be printed off as very simple schematic instructions, as shown below.

chopper.png.29356104aeb84895aa8d3f1c8de1a79b.pngpropplane.jpg.fdd0cde602b564b467326356d62af60e.jpg

On 11/13/2013 at 4:39 PM, DrJB said:

On bricklink, the picture for 8450 includes a 'scout'. However, the instructiions on dailymotion include only the basic model (without the scout). Does anyone have the larger model depicted on the bricklink photo (below)?

• This could only be done if the user owned both 8482 Cybermaster and 8450 Mission. The narrative told us this was a new, prototype version of the jet plane incorporating Cybermaster’s mobile unit.  Essentially it enabled the jet plane’s retractable undercarriage and tilting wings to be motorised and controlled independent of each other via the Cybermaster touch sensors working as buttons.  Again, it encouraged the user to program these movements to their own liking – it also included the ability for the wings to be tilted to 45° for ascents and descents.  There was no live interaction with the PC as normally with Cybermaster, instead the programming was downloaded to the mobile unit and the now motorised plane could be interacted with as explained before but now including motorised functions.

Now on to 8450’s official B Model, the All Terrains Vehicle (ATV), this combined elements from both sets including the Cybermaster mobile unit and like Cybermaster, enabled a fully interactive play experience between the remotely controlled ATV and the PC, only better than what Cybermaster had to offer.

• This only worked in manual mode but involved driving the ATV across a room, including a number of obstacles of your own making – guidance was included.  The ATV was tasked with carrying bombs…yes, bombs…across the planet’s surface, although the narrative explicitly states that they are for the purposes of excavating land for construction projects.  The user must drive the ATV across the planet’s surface whilst sitting at the PC without the bomb swinging around too much at the back of the ATV and potentially going off – causing the ATV to automatically disassemble itself to jettison both the exploded bomb and endangered pilot.  On top of that, a successful transport mission must conclude with a visit to the check point and refuelling visits may need to be made throughout the mission.  Again, various difficulty settings were provided and mission maps could be customised with obstacles and routes.  As with the jet plane, you build up a log/leader board of missions and how successful they were, only because this board is filled in via communications between with PC and ATV, there’s less scope for lying than with the jet plane game!
On 1/17/2015 at 12:46 AM, DrJB said:

The set does does not come with a Technic Figure

• Correct, although Cybermaster did come with the Competition android figure that could be used in all the models.  I never did understand why he was included over figures of any of the characters actually featured in the software though.

Hope that clears up any queries posters had about these sets and how they work.

Edited by Les_Paul