Sign in to follow this  
BasOne

Isn't it about time....

We did another LDD RCB?

Just throwing it in there.. something to think about....

Maybe a Wild West town like the Midevil RCB, or a Pirate cove instead of the Imperial fort we did....

We did classic space, how about a Blacktron or Futuron base?

Just going to mention that if there is another RCB, I'm probably not going to be a part of it this time. In previous RCBs I have provided color-checking after each step, but frankly this semester my schoolwork is proving to be a huge burden and I don't want another obligation distracting me from it or taking up the time when I need to be unwinding after a long, stressful day.

Color-checking on your own isn't too difficult. Some good resources are the Brickset parts browser, which while not 100% complete greatly simplifies the process of checking service.LEGO.com's database. Using the parts browser you can search for a Design ID to find colors it appeared in, or browse parts by category, color, and year released in sets. All parts are thoroughly cross-referenced, so when you view any part you can see other colors it has appeared in. And all parts use official Design IDs and color names. Additionally, by using the Brickset sets browser, you can find almost any set and, if it is inventoried on service.LEGO.com, view the "Parts" tab to see parts included in the set. It's a wonderful resource in general.

The Bricklink Reference Catalog is another useful resource. Unlike the Brickset parts database, it is user-generated, so that usually means fewer omissions but more inaccuracies. It also does not use official LEGO color names or even part numbers in some cases, but Superkalle's LDD Manager software provides a usually-reliable chart for comparing Bricklink color names and numbers with TLG's names and numbers. LDD Manager also lets you upload an LXF and check which parts are listed in the Brickset database as available in sets-- an invaluable one-step tool in color-checking your model.

And of course, don't forget that if you KNOW a part came in a certain set but it doesn't show up on Brickset's database (or if it's in Pick-A-Brick but not in Brickset's database), you can put the six- or seven-digit Element ID into this page's URL to view the page for it in TLG's customer service database. It may not have an image, in which case it will not appear in the Brickset database or the replacement parts menu at service.LEGO.com, but usually it will still have a page that will tell you the color name, design ID, and element ID (for example, here's the page for a certain LEGO soccer ball).

So if you do end up starting another RCB or entering one as a builder, take full advantage of these resources! Best of luck to anyone who decides to get involved! :classic:

It's a great idea. To be honest, I think we're looking for volunteers to run/host it (at least that's what I recall).

Regarding topic, I guess that whoever volunteers pretty much gets to chose :sweet:

So if anyone is up for it - holler!

We should verify if there is enough interest from builders for another RCB, otherwise there is the risk to have again problems as in the past, where an RCB carried out for too long meant the indifference of the LDD forum users.

About colour checking, I hope this time the new "custom palette" function will help us to avoid the problem. We only need to create that, I hope it is not too difficult. And Aanchir will have some free time! :grin:

I think we could wait a new brickset update before starting the new RCB, so that we can have a stable "brickset" for the entire duration of the work.

Last thing, we still have a Post Apocalypse RCB that never started! We could resume it before thinking something other.

I am up for hosting a technic relay. :classic:

We could do a rc truck,while different people do different body's some other people can make the cab and chassis.

Had not brickdoctor posted a teaser for a possible train RCB??

Anyways I'm in anytime!!!!

I did, but there wasn't much interest in the trains theme and the project sort of got lost amid indexing MOCs and the like.

I remember an upcoming Zombie RCB. Was that delayed as well?

I think you are speaking about the "Post Apocalypse RCB" I mentioned above.

If we want to promote a new RCB, I think it should be the first try.

At the moment we have Alasair Ryan offering to host a Technic RCB

Alasdsair - are you still up for it?

Anyone else? If so, now is the time to step up to the plate :classic:

At the moment we have Alasair Ryan offering to host a Technic RCB

I sure am. :sweet:

This would prove to be a very interesting build!

This may not be the best place to discuss it, but what would the premise be? What would the base model be?

If this goes ahead, I will be quite interested in participating and seeing the model develop!

Ok, for EB's 6th RCB my idea is to make a motorized truck in technic using LDD.

truck-chassis-SCANIA-114G-380---1_big--12081712125664838000.jpg

The truck I would hope to make would be split into three parts: chassis,cab,body.

The basic chassis will be made by me,with the motors added.

Depending on the amount of interest in taking part in the relay we could make additional cabs and body's to fit onto the chassis.

To make it easier for builders taking part I will make templates for both cab and body, with both files converted to PDF for building in the real if need be.

My hope is that we can make two or three different cabs and body's whether that is a tipper body,flat bed or crane we will just have to see. :grin:

Builders who choose to build the body's can also motorize them to!

Feel free to post feedback. :sweet:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I'm not sure about you building the entire frame yourself Alisdair. Kind of takes away a bit of the RCB idea. Still I can see why it might be needed since Technic is a bit more difficult to just "add on to". Still, I wonder if there is some other model that can be built with Technic elements and where everyone could start more from scratch. Or have you kind of homed in on a truck?

I thought I would build the chassis to make it easy for the other builders,this can be changed so that some builders can also make the chassis.

I had choose a truck as my first idea because of the fact that you could change the cabs and body's to fit your taste.

I am still open to suggestions on what to make,I know this year's technic flagship is a mobile crane so maybe some people may fancy building one of those.

Technic, and an actual vehicle too. Well this is swiftly running away from my field of expertise. :sad:

Edited by Alcom1

A Ninjago one. I think it was more popular than even Star Wars for a while, so it definitely deserves it's own LDD RCB. Several options too:

Articulated full-size Great Devourer

Full-size Destiny's Bounty

Ouroborous

Edited by DraikNova

I have to be honest and say I am disappointed at no other suggestions or new ideas of a new relay,or to more feedback to the idea of a technic one.

Would it be a good idea to make a topic with my original idea over in the technic forum for more thoughts and idea's on a technic relay?

@ Alasdair Ryan: Although I am a Lego Technic fan, I realize that many AFOLs in this forum don't know much about how it works. "System"-type building (building upwards in layers) is not at all like "Technic"-style building (where one builds from the inside-out). Building a LDD vehicle is difficult because of the need to finely rotate gears to make them "mesh". The typical LDD Relay Community Build (RCB) is a sprawling creation that allows people to add various modules. A LDD vehicle is much too small for 20 people to participate in.

Without involving gears, there are Lego Technic structures that could be made which would allow for modules to be added on. How about an International Space Station (ISS)-type lattice framework, made with Lego Technic Liftarms and Lego Technic Panels? The mythical LDD RCB space station could have components going in three dimensions, and could interest the Lego Space enthusiasts. It does not have to be a literal model of the ISS (pictured below); it could be a make-believe, futuristic, BIG space station....

iss.jpgISS_configuration_Dec_2007.giflegoiss_610x404.jpgwww.brickshelf.com_gallery_Antgeth_space_the-ISS_alternate_view.jpg_SPLASH.jpgd4e4o5g414t3y404y294v2w234q2r2h4v5f4042354v2r294x2u2.jpg

Another Space LDD RCB seems kind of bland, even if it is as different as classic and realistic. Perhaps a steampunk one?