General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

A great opportunity squandered and most likely never to be revisited.

If this is all we're getting of LOTR, then I would sadly have to agree with you. The theme had so much potential, and we've barely even scratched the surface.

These non LOTR movie tie ins are really muxing up our stuff. I will see the lego movie with my son, but not many of the sets will make it our house. Good move for lego, but as stated above, it really is squeezing our chosen line. I am really hoping theres some interesting hobbit sets still to come to ease some of the sting.

I mostly have just boughten the LOTR sets, The only Hobbit set I bought was the Riddles in the Dark.

LOTR movies are much better and the sets are as well.

Personally, I think Lego will make a third wave. I'm thinking maybe for winter 2014-2015.

You are messing with the wrong Tolkienite

Check my Avatar

im a Hobbit fan... i just think AUJ, DOS and TABA are far more better than the LOTR

But i do watch LOTR because that is also fun...

Don't ruin it. Just don't.

Besides, it's unlikely more sets for the Hobbit would come out, the current sets cover pretty much everything.

BO5A, Beorn's House, Dale, Windlance, Smaug, Trollshaws, Mirkwood palace, Bard's boat, Erebor

:)

Bard's house is not covered, Laketown is like the perfect city to make multiple sets for, so naturally expandable. - Could include Bard's daugthers + percy as exclusives

I made a Bard house MOC! it looks awesome :) and Percy, Tilda, and Bain are in there! i think the way i made it Lego can make it too, With detatchable parts: The ground floor or basement, The living area (the second floor) and the third floor the roof it's a bit like the Modulars, Really easy to detatch

Check my Avatar

im a Hobbit fan... i just think AUJ, DOS and TABA are far more better than the LOTR

You're crazy. For one, TABA isn't even out yet. :P

TABA isn't even out yet, how can it be better than any of the LOTR films?

On topic (well actually it should be about LOTR, but yeah): I can't believe that many of you think that LEGO covered almost everything from the Hobbit. There is so much more left to do, not even mentioning the endless possibilities regarding LOTR and scenes of the book(s) they could depict.

Regarding the Hobbit (AUJ):

- more Hobbiton (because we just need more)

- the company on ponies in the Shire (ponies FTW!)

- Rosgobel (the design of Radagast's house is just awesome, playability-wise collapsable roof, spiders, etc.)

- the Trollshaws (I know new molds, but this would be awesome, they could reuse the ponies though ^^)

- Warg huntdown (with Radagast on bunnysled, maybe armored elves on horses, and hopefully a new type of warg hunter orc)

- Rivendel Moon Chamber (reading Thorins map with waterfall, not necessary, but would be nice)

- Azog on the Weathertop (could be used as 'Evil Castle' and every excuse to get just more orcs en wargs is a good one, gives them also the opportunity to improve the Weathertop design)

Regarding the Hobbit (DOS):

- the Prancing pony (we just need Bree!, playability-wise you could ad the rough looking guys that are after Thorin, I know another Gandalf is inevitable)

- Beorn's House (Beorn in bear form could add to the non-action feel of the set)

- Halls of Thranduil (we just need a better or more accurate depiction of this scene, could add the captured orc or the captured dwarfs for playability)

- The Water Gate (only if this means we get armored elves, but I suppose there's another chance in the BO5A in TABA)

- Bolg vs Legolas in Laketown (but we probably get Bolg in a TABA set anyway)

- Smaug in Erebor (I believe we will get a Smaug set in the TABA wave, but this will probably be set in Laketown, I would love an Erebor version with the gold, the pillars, etc.)

I do believe there is far more to be done in the LOTR line than the Hobbit, but as you can see, there are still possibilities (the one more probable or desirable than the other).

Edited by Trunkbass

BO5A, Beorn's House, Dale, Windlance, Smaug, Trollshaws, Mirkwood palace, Bard's boat, Erebor

Bo5A, Erebor, and/or Smaug will probably by covered in the third Hobbit wave. The others you mentioned like Dale are probably the setting for sets like the Bo5A. Bard's boat was in Lake-town's Chase. Most of those are pretty redundant.

@Trunkbass: Some great suggestions (especially the Warg huntdown idea), but you always have to consider the "new minifig" potential and that's quite low (or non-existent) in most of your suggestions :wink: Radagast's house e.g. couldn't feature any other minifigs apart from Radagast and selling a 50$ set with just one minifig simply does not work, especially in a licensed theme :grin:

The Hobbit films seem to be very well covered thus far (and I think that trend continues with the TABA sets), so I'd rather get a final LOTR wave next year instead of more Hobbit sets :thumbup:

Yeah LOTR is missing a lot more sets that you would think are must have and also would sell very well we need a 3rd wave.

On topic (well actually it should be about LOTR, but yeah): I can't believe that many of you think that LEGO covered almost everything from the Hobbit. There is so much more left to do, not even mentioning the endless possibilities regarding LOTR and scenes of the book(s) they could depict.

Wishful thinking, really. I would like to some most of those sets see the light of day, but they won't. TLG is a business. Sure more Bree and Hobbiton would be awesome, as well as more MMV and MVR style sets in both LotR and Castle, but realistically, that won't happen.

All I want is Witch King, Balrog and Gondorians...+ some exklusive figs...other things can be done as MOCs.

All I want is Witch King, Balrog and Gondorians...+ some exklusive figs...other things can be done as MOCs.

Yep, that pretty much does it for me too.

I love Middle-Earth, and I'd love to see masses of sets from LOTR and the Hobbit (Hobbiton, Bree, trolls, Beorn's house, Meduseld, Treebeard, Mumak, Lothlorien ..) but when it comes to it if we don't end up with these 3 key parts I'd have to agree that the LOTR line was a massive opportunity squandered by bad planning, some terrible set ideas, and some odd decisions about the look of minifigures,

Because I still can't believe there could have been such an epic creative group-think fail that would lead an incredibly successful business to decide to produce and release the orc forge, black gate or pirate ship rather than Witch King, Balrog, and Gondor, I'm still convinced those last 3 (at least) are coming eventually.

Yep, that pretty much does it for me too.

I love Middle-Earth, and I'd love to see masses of sets from LOTR and the Hobbit (Hobbiton, Bree, trolls, Beorn's house, Meduseld, Treebeard, Mumak, Lothlorien ..) but when it comes to it if we don't end up with these 3 key parts I'd have to agree that the LOTR line was a massive opportunity squandered by bad planning, some terrible set ideas, and some odd decisions about the look of minifigures,

Because I still can't believe there could have been such an epic creative group-think fail that would lead an incredibly successful business to decide to produce and release the orc forge, black gate or pirate ship rather than Witch King, Balrog, and Gondor, I'm still convinced those last 3 (at least) are coming eventually.

The only set that has me really scratching my head is the pirate ship. The designer video states that they made this the flagship set of the 2nd wave because "kid's like pirate ships," even though it got 30 seconds of screen time. If they swapped that out with a Gondor-themed set, I could eventually forgive Lego for only giving us 2 waves. However, if LotR is done for, the decision to include the pirate ship will be one of the biggest "wtf" moments I've had with Lego since becoming an AFOL. The ship looks nice, and I own one, but I'd much rather have countless other Middle Earth sets before that one.

Honestly, one big D2C Minas Tirith set, which includes the Witch King with fell beast, eowyn, Merry & Pippin in their Rohan and Gondor garb, Gothmog, some random orcs, some Gondor soldiers, to send off the theme, I'd be happy with that. I can deal with not having a Balrog, and characters like Galadriel can appear in Hobbit sets. I just can't believe that Lego would leave Gondor so under-represented, just give us something! :classic:

Edited by naf

I'd really rather they didn't make a D2C Mithas Tirith, because I want to be able to afford one. All I can say for want I would like to see is Gondor, Gondor, Gondor! I really hope there are more LOTR sets being produced over the next couple years than just what's rumored so far.

Bo5A, Erebor, and/or Smaug will probably by covered in the third Hobbit wave. The others you mentioned like Dale are probably the setting for sets like the Bo5A. Bard's boat was in Lake-town's Chase. Most of those are pretty redundant.

That boat was OFF scale, It would fit 13 Barrels! the lego one fits 4 if you leave figs off :)

You're crazy. For one, TABA isn't even out yet. :P

Ah yes, Books excist too! And i just know it will be awesome because AUJ and DOS were :I

That boat was OFF scale, It would fit 13 Barrels! the lego one fits 4 if you leave figs off :)

What's your point? Pretty much every Lego set is off in terms of scale. Bag End has one room inside it. Helm's Deep is missing the entire mountain it butts up against and and the Glittering Caves among many other things (the walls are roughly 2 minifigures tall yet in the film they are AT LEAST 10 men high). Mines of Moria has only two walls. Weathertop is about a tenth the size it is in the film. Shall I go on? I can guarantee you Lego is NOT going to waste a set re-making a boat they already made just to make it slightly larger and fit more barrels. It would be the biggest waste of a set EVER.

Ah yes, Books excist too! And i just know it will be awesome because AUJ and DOS were :I

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but the general consensus does not agree with you. The LotR films all hold a 90%+ fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes while neither of the two Hobbit movies are above 75%. In fact AUJ is only 65% and DoS is 75% atm. That's a long way off from the 91%, 96%, and 94% FotR, TTT, and RotK hold. Also just because you like AUJ and DoS does not mean you will like TABA unless you are being bias. PJ is adding TONS of his own material so the book and movie versions may end up being quite different.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but the general consensus does not agree with you. The LotR films all hold a 90%+ fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes while neither of the two Hobbit movies are above 75%. In fact AUJ is only 65% and DoS is 75% atm. That's a long way off from the 91%, 96%, and 94% FotR, TTT, and RotK hold. Also just because you like AUJ and DoS does not mean you will like TABA unless you are being bias. PJ is adding TONS of his own material so the book and movie versions may end up being quite different.

Yes, and we hate him for it. He's become the next George Lucas.

Check my Avatar

Don't ruin it. Just don't.

:)

I made a Bard house MOC! it looks awesome :) and Percy, Tilda, and Bain are in there! i think the way i made it Lego can make it too, With detatchable parts: The ground floor or basement, The living area (the second floor) and the third floor the roof it's a bit like the Modulars, Really easy to detatch

I am a total Middle Earth buff and I love the books and characters etc. But I would rather spend my money on the LOTR sets rather than the Hobbit sets because those movies are more settled in already, plus the hobbit movies are not nearly as good as the LOTR.

Beorn is probably my favorite character in Middle Earth, yet he was poorly portrayed in DOS. I could go on and on about the downs of the hobbit movie. I loved the Hobbit book, the first movie was OK, but the second movie was poorly made and that just didn't drive me to buy the new sets. (although I may buy the 2 smaller sets, since they do come with good figures.)

What's your point? Pretty much every Lego set is off in terms of scale. Bag End has one room inside it. Helm's Deep is missing the entire mountain it butts up against and and the Glittering Caves among many other things (the walls are roughly 2 minifigures tall yet in the film they are AT LEAST 10 men high). Mines of Moria has only two walls. Weathertop is about a tenth the size it is in the film. Shall I go on? I can guarantee you Lego is NOT going to waste a set re-making a boat they already made just to make it slightly larger and fit more barrels. It would be the biggest waste of a set EVER.

Dude im not saying they MUST remake it...

And what in the WORLD is Rotten Tomatoes? don't want to eat those

And im 100% sure i will like TABA. Thorin, Dain and Bard are in it... it will be good

im from Holland so i don't know English this well but... what is Bias?

And what in the WORLD is Rotten Tomatoes?

Rotten Tomatoes is a website for movie reviews. :wink:

Edited by Infernum

And what in the WORLD is Rotten Tomatoes? don't want to eat those

im from Holland so i don't know English this well but... what is Bias?

Rotten Tomatoes is a platform that aggregates the review scores of all important US movie critics and determines a score that indicates how many critics gave a positive or negative critique (so a score of 75% means that 75% of the critics gave that certain movie a positive review) :wink:

Bias= vooringenomenheid :laugh: (I know German and Dutch are very closely related, but I still find it amusing how similar some words are :grin:)

Personally, I'm among the crowd that enjoys the Hobbit movies just as much as the LOTR ones :sweet: I always think of them as one franchise :thumbup:

they need to make more sets!! I'm waiting lol anyone has a good LXF file on the black gate and how to mod or moc both sets together and look amazing?

they need to make more sets!! I'm waiting lol anyone has a good LXF file on the black gate and how to mod or moc both sets together and look amazing?

why kaitokid whyyyy Edited by azog15

The only set that has me really scratching my head is the pirate ship. The designer video states that they made this the flagship set of the 2nd wave because "kid's like pirate ships," even though it got 30 seconds of screen time. If they swapped that out with a Gondor-themed set, I could eventually forgive Lego for only giving us 2 waves. However, if LotR is done for, the decision to include the pirate ship will be one of the biggest "wtf" moments I've had with Lego since becoming an AFOL.

This.

Honestly, one big D2C Minas Tirith set, which includes the Witch King with fell beast, eowyn, Merry & Pippin in their Rohan and Gondor garb, Gothmog, some random orcs, some Gondor soldiers, to send off the theme, I'd be happy with that. I can deal with not having a Balrog, and characters like Galadriel can appear in Hobbit sets. I just can't believe that Lego would leave Gondor so under-represented, just give us something! :classic:

This, for the most part.

We really need a Gondor army builder on top of that. Very difficult to build a proper army from a small handful of soldiers in a D2C set.

There must be a set with the Witchking! It will sell like hot cakes just because he has such a cool helmet. Don't believe me? Why do you think every kid's favorite Star Wars character is Boba Fett? It shouldn't be a big bank busting D2C set though. That would totally diminish the awesomeness of Witchking's helmet in my book.

Lego should also do a line of collectable LotR minifigs.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope there's not a huge Minas Tirith set. I'd like it better if there were smaller, more affordable sets, maybe make them so they can connect. I prefer the smaller sets with more minifigs personally. If the set is much over 100 USD, a lot of people like me can't afford to spend that much on legos, though I'd like to. If it was about the same size as Helm's Deep, that'd be fine. In fact, if it was like Helm's Deep with connectable smaller walls, that would probably be really popular. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.