General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I think Goblin King Battle and Riddles for the Ring did rather poorly based on how much I see them collecting dust on shelves and how much they are constantly being discounted (pretty much impossible not to find GKB discounted for at least 30% at any given time). Mines of Moria and Weathertop seem to of done slightly better than them, but still not amazing. Helm's Deep probably did decent, as did most of the other sets. I think the best sellers were Uruk-hai Army and An Unexpected Gathering so far. All of this is just based on personal observation though, not hard statistics or facts.

As for what could Lego have next summer to fill the gap left by LotR? I think another Hobbit wave. Two Hobbit waves could easily happen considering this winter wave was so small.

Exactly!

If i would have to make a combined list of top sellers it would go like that:

1. Unexpected Gathering (by far!)

2. Uruk-hai army

3. Helm's Deep

4. Weathertop/Barrel Escape

5. Mirkwood Spiders/ Orc Forge/Shelob

6. Gandalf Arrives/Mines of Moria/ Warg Attacks

7. Goblin King Battle

8. Riddles

I think unexpected Gathering sold as good as Uruk-hai army and Helm's Deep combined....

If TLG scraps the Tolkien themes, I won't stop buying LEGO, but I will buy MUCH less. What I buy:

All LOTR and Hobbit sets

Some TMNT sets

A few Marvel sets if I like them

That's pretty much it. LOTR and Hobbit is a lot of my buying. If they quit it, I'll probably start focusing on other collections that I have, like Playmates' TMNT line. And buy that NECA Gollum to fill the hole in my collecting.

I would probably drop 90% in LEGO spending.... Apart from LOTR/Hobbit I only bought MMV and MVR which were 2 amazing sets.... and then I bought like 50 random figures I really wanted like Satele Shan, Darth Malgus etc..... and about 50 CMF.... of the sets I only bought LOTR/Hobbit stuff.

Here's another issue: The critics are saying DoSmaug is vastly better than the first Hobbit film. Will this translate to better sales, and if so, would Lego prefer to do more DoS sets over LOTR? That's a question that remains to be seen.

But what really gets me is all the Doom and Gloom surrounding a lack of announcement from a company that is NOTORIOUS for keeping secrets until just before release! Sure we get leaks, but Lego does not intend for the information to get out until THEY are ready to release it.

Patience! And don't panic until Lego officially says there won't be any more LOTR.

But what really gets me is all the Doom and Gloom surrounding a lack of announcement from a company that is NOTORIOUS for keeping secrets until just before release! Sure we get leaks, but Lego does not intend for the information to get out until THEY are ready to release it.

But that's the thing, they have announced every upcoming wave so far in the current wave. That's three waves they have done it now where LotR is announced in the Hobbit or vis versa. It would have been four if the second Hobbit wave had a LotR advertisement. Instead it had a Hobbit one. How can you explain this?

But that's the thing, they have announced every upcoming wave so far in the current wave. That's three waves they have done it now where LotR is announced in the Hobbit or vis versa. It would have been four if the second Hobbit wave had a LotR advertisement. Instead it had a Hobbit one. How can you explain this?

Not at all, i guess. :wink:

Patience! And don't panic until Lego officially says there won't be any more LOTR.

Lego never says officially that a line ends now. They simply stop selling at some point. Following your logic, we could also still hope for new Harry Potter sets.

Well, some people here might still hope for a UCS Hogwarts. But for those who live in reality it's apparent that this will never happen.

Here is a quick question I've been pondering. If the line were to end after one more wave, which figs are a must have in order for you to be staisfied?

Must have figs: Witch King, Eowyn(Amor), Old Bilbo, Faramir, Galadriel, Gondor Soldier

Figs that I'd like but are Unlikely: Denethor, Gothmog, Haradrim, Lothlorien Elf, Easterling, Frodo and Sam(Orc Disguise/Weary), Gondorian Ranger, Grishnakh, Sauron (Just cant think of a practical set we'd get him in, maybe a Visual Dictionary Exclusive? :))

Figs that we won't get, but that I'd like: Aragorn Royal Armor, Celeborn, Boromir Captain, Barrow Wight, Citadel Guard, Elendil, Gamling, Gil-Galad, Gloin, Glorfindel, Hama, Isilidur, Madril, Merry(Rohirrim Squire), Moria Orc(Armor), Pippin(Gondor Armor), Twilight Nazgul, Rosie, Shagrat, Theoden(Without Armor), Tom Bombadali, Barliman Butterbur, Oliphaunt Leader, Theodred, Guritz (Amazing Helmet)! XD

Creatures: Balrog, Treebeard, Fellbeast, Great Beast, Shadowfax, Olog Hai, Moth, Mumakill, Watcher in the water! XD

Lol so what figs are must haves for you guys?

Edited by greeklad97

Here is a quick question I've been pondering. If the line were to end after one more wave, which figs are a must have in order for you to be staisfied?

Must have figs: Witch King, Eowyn(Amor), Old Bilbo, Faramir, Galadriel, Gondor Soldier

Figs that I'd like but are Unlikely: Denethor, Gothmog, Haradrim, Lothlorien Elf, Easterling, Frodo and Sam(Orc Disguise/Weary), Gondorian Ranger, Grishnakh, Sauron (Just cant think of a practical set we'd get him in, maybe a Visual Dictionary Exclusive? :))

Figs that we won't get, but that I'd like: Aragorn Royal Armor, Celeborn, Boromir Captain, Barrow Wight, Citadel Guard, Elendil, Gamling, Gil-Galad, Gloin, Glorfindel, Hama, Isilidur, Madril, Merry(Rohirrim Squire), Moria Orc(Armor), Pippin(Gondor Armor), Twilight Nazgul, Rosie, Shagrat, Theoden(Without Armor), Tom Bombadali, Barliman Butterbur, Oliphaunt Leader, Theodred, Guritz (Amazing Helmet)! XD

Creatures: Balrog, Treebeard, Fellbeast, Great Beast, Shadowfax, Olog Hai, Moth, Mumakill, Watcher in the water! XD

Lol so what figs are must haves for you guys?

if we go must haves entirely from my own wish list and ignore the chances they are made then those i bolded in your quote

But if we go in realism mode, I would be happy with Gondor Soldier (armor, helmet shield + weapon) Faramir (Ranger outfit) and Denethor....

Anything more than these 3 figures would be a huge bonus :D

Eowyn, Faramir, Galadriel, the Witch-King and Gondor Soldier are essential. I can take or leave the others, but finishing the line without those five would be inexusable. :angry:

Eowyn, Faramir, Galadriel, the Witch-King and Gondor Soldier are essential. I can take or leave the others, but finishing the line without those five would be inexusable. :angry:

I dont understand though why is the Witch king so important... I mean i read books and all history of Nazgul etc, but essentially Witch king is still just a regular Nazgul... without any special extra powers it seems.... Sure to book readers the ''no man can ever kill him or ever will'' stuff is important but if we look it purely from movie perspective he does what every Nazgul could've done, maybe excluding breaking Gandalfs staff, but that was added to the movie and is not in the book anyway

Agreed entirely! If we don't got those 5, we might as well not have gotten any! XD What makes me wonder however is the fact that in this last wave, we only got 4 sets compared to wave ones 7 plus 2 polybags! Wave one was Rohan based as well as a few others. Wave 2 was more ROTK based I'd say. So I'm skeptical if they'd make more ROTK sets in the final wave. 4 sets is plenty to get those 5 essential figs, and then plus some, but how many Gondor themed sets will there be is the question? It really makes you wonder that by splitting the hobbit into 3 movies, how that effected legos scheduled releases, not only for the hobbit, but for the LOTR line as well between the Hobbit releases? :P One can hope for a visual dictionary exclusive as well! :)

I dont understand though why is the Witch king so important... I mean i read books and all history of Nazgul etc, but essentially Witch king is still just a regular Nazgul... without any special extra powers it seems.... Sure to book readers the ''no man can ever kill him or ever will'' stuff is important but if we look it purely from movie perspective he does what every Nazgul could've done, maybe excluding breaking Gandalfs staff, but that was added to the movie and is not in the book anyway

In the book not as much, but from the movies, he's become such an iconic figure!

I haven't read the books, so the Witch king may just be an ordinary Nazgul, but I think people mostly want his helmet. So they would release another normal looking Nazgul with a new helmet, people would eat that up. Not to mention, people want more Nazgul anyway since they only got the two originally. Not that it would be wise to army build the Witch King necessarily, it would depend on the set price.

I'd say must haves would be Faramir, Eowyn, and a Gondor Soldier. There is always the chance we'd get a Galadriel in Hobbit sets, although who knows there. More elves in general, especially female elves are welcome by me. I think we definitely need at least ONE Gondor soldier of some kind with the helmet/shield to help feel more complete.

I took my most recent Snape and put Thorin's hair on it and it actually kind of resembles Denethor enough that I may keep it that way. But some figures there is no way to purist customize one.

If they release another wave, they should go out with a bang. Granted, I'm sure it would be a subdued wave again. At least pull an Amidala and throw in a key figure into a set that they don't belong. As long as we get the figures, it wouldn't matter to me.

And I don't think I'd say this last wave was ROTK oriented. To me, Rivendell went to FOTR, Orthanc and Wizard Battle went to TT, and then Black Gate and Pirate Ship were ROTK. It was pretty spread out..but I'd love more anything. This is my favorite theme.

I'd say must haves would be Faramir, Eowyn, and a Gondor Soldier. There is always the chance we'd get a Galadriel in Hobbit sets, although who knows there. More elves in general, especially female elves are welcome by me. I think we definitely need at least ONE Gondor soldier of some kind with the helmet/shield to help feel more complete.

I took my most recent Snape and put Thorin's hair on it and it actually kind of resembles Denethor enough that I may keep it that way. But some figures there is no way to purist customize one.

If they release another wave, they should go out with a bang. Granted, I'm sure it would be a subdued wave again. At least pull an Amidala and throw in a key figure into a set that they don't belong. As long as we get the figures, it wouldn't matter to me.

I really would enjoy an old Bilbo to be honest! If they go out with a bang (like Diagon Alley) what do you think they'd base a final set off of? A lot of people want grey havens/minas tirith, which might be practical, but we already have most of the figures from grey havens, and minas tirith I'm envisioning would be in the next wave! I sincerely hope they can continue this line as long as possible and cover as much source materiel as they can, but instincts are telling me they're will only be one more wave! If they do make a large set to finish the line, I'd personally like The Battle of Dagorlad, it would be absolutely stunning! We'd get 2nd age elves/gondor soldiers! Not to mention Isilidur, Elendil, Gil -galad, and Sauron! :)

Edited by greeklad97

I really would enjoy an old Bilbo to be honest! If they go out with a bang (like Diagon Alley) what do you think they'd base a final set off of? A lot of people want grey havens/minas tirith, which might be practical, but we already have most of the figures from grey havens, and minas tirith I'm envisioning would be in the next wave! I sincerely hope they can continue this line as long as possible and cover as much source materiel as they can, but instincts are telling me they're will only be one more wave! If they do make a large set to finish the line, I'd personally like The Battle of Dagorlad, it would be absolutely stunning! We'd get 2nd age elves/gondor soldiers! Not to mention Isilidur, Elendil, Gil -galad, and Sauron! :)

Minas Tirith can get loads of figures even ceremonial part from the ''end'' of the 3rd movie (including Galadriel!)

not to mention Denethor, Boromir (captain uniform) Faramir, Pipping (gondor uniform) and ofcourse beloved Tower Guards!

It seems to me that a $30 "wall" set (like Uruk Hai Army or Mirkwood Elf Army) based on either Osgiliath or Minas Tirith battles, and featuring 2 Gondor soldiers (new helmet, old breastplate armor) and 1 Gondor ranger (Faramir) along with 3 orcs would be a huge seller. Be a real shame if we missed out on that one.

A second set with the Witchking/Fellbeast & Eowyn and I'm very satisfied.

The other figure I'd really like is an armored elf (with helmet!), but I'm hoping that will show up in the next Hobbit wave. Different looking armor, but good enough.

Agreed.

Faramir, Eowyn, Witch King, Galadriel, Gondor soldier:

Yep, exactly the figures I want the most as well.

In the meantime though, my two 2008 crownies will do just fine in front of the black gate alongside Gandalf and Aragorn. :classic:

Credit to Hollywood extravaganza and promotion to make him such a popular character; thus, TLG could profit if they do include him in a future set(s).

And I don't know if this makes any sense since I know nothing about the inner workings of TLG, but couldn't they just ideas and some models from the video game in actual sets? I just feel like it's something they could really easily without having designers spend an overload of time coming up with stuff for the 3rd wave.

It seems to me that a $30 "wall" set (like Uruk Hai Army or Mirkwood Elf Army) based on either Osgiliath or Minas Tirith battles, and featuring 2 Gondor soldiers (new helmet, old breastplate armor) and 1 Gondor ranger (Faramir) along with 3 orcs would be a huge seller. Be a real shame if we missed out on that one.

The other figure I'd really like is an armored elf (with helmet!), but I'm hoping that will show up in the next Hobbit wave. Different looking armor, but good enough.

If there will be some gondor soldiers they will not have breastplate piece. I guess that their armor will be printed like in videogame.. So only new moulds will be helmet and possibly ashield, but shield be also a terdrop piece like the elven shields from MEA.

I think it's unanimous. Everyone wants to see Faramir, Eowyn, the Witch King, and a Gondor Soldier. These are all the "main" characters Lego still has yet to give us. I'm not worried about Galadriel since I still think she might show up in a Hobbit wave where she has much more prominence. Secondary characters I would still like to see are an Easterling, Haradrim, Gothmog, Sauron, and Denethor. Anything after that would just be icing on the cake. For creatures I think a Fel Beast, Balrog, Mumakil, and Mountain Troll are all fairly important, with the former being the most important and ladder being least.

I dont understand though why is the Witch king so important...

Probably due to him being one of the main leaders of the evil force and having a physical form, unlike Sauron, seen fighting in the third age of LotR.

And I don't think I'd say this last wave was ROTK oriented. To me, Rivendell went to FOTR, Orthanc and Wizard Battle went to TT, and then Black Gate and Pirate Ship were ROTK. It was pretty spread out..but I'd love more anything. This is my favorite theme.

Ya, I would say it was more TTT oriented than anything, what with the huge Orthanc being released. Plus one of the RotK sets wasn't even a big scene so it hardly counts (Pirate Ship Ambush). People want to see Gondor stuff not Corsairs. The first LotR wave was almost all FotR and TTT except for Shelob Attacks. That's one of the seven sets dedicated to RotK so it just feels severely under represented.

Lego doesn't even need 4 sets to fit everything people still want, they could really do it with one big set. Almost anything Minas Tirith or Pelennor Fields related could include the Witch King, Eowyn, Faramir, Gondor Soldiers... heck, even Denethor and Gothmog. Personally I would love a "wall" set though that includes Gondor Soldiers and Mordor Orcs so we can easily build both factions. As of yet there haven't been any really good options for Mordor Orcs and none for Gondor Soldiers. I would imagine the set being set up the exact same way you describe, 2 Gondor Soldiers, 3 Mordor Orcs and Faramir who could double as a generic Ithilien Ranger. A Mountain Troll instead of a horse or Warg would be a huge bonus, but I dunno if Lego would include that in a $30 set without severely crippling the build.

Edited by Deathleech

If there isn't another wave... What about the Lothlorien from the LoTR videogame?

If there will be some gondor soldiers they will not have breastplate piece. I guess that their armor will be printed like in videogame.. So only new moulds will be helmet and possibly ashield, but shield be also a terdrop piece like the elven shields from MEA.

I believe they could, and should include a breastplate for the Gondor soldier. It doesn't need a new mold, they could just use the same old one that was used on Theoden/Uruk Hai, but with different printing.

I think the shield from the Roman soldier in CMF line would be a better shape, though the tree wouldn't print as nice with the stud in the center.

For creatures I think a Fel Beast, Balrog, Mumakil, and Mountain Troll are all fairly important, with the ladder being the most important and former being least.

What you're actually saying here is that you'd rather have the Mountain Troll than the Fell Beast. I think you meant that the other way 'round. :wink:

Anyhow, I'm very much in agreement with everyone here. Eowyn, Faramir, Galadriel, Witch King and Gondorian Soldier are must haves. Someone mentioned once that an Old Bilbo minifigure would be a great exclusive in a DK LotR/Hobbit book, and I'd have to agree.

What you're actually saying here is that you'd rather have the Mountain Troll than the Fell Beast. I think you meant that the other way 'round. :wink:

Anyhow, I'm very much in agreement with everyone here. Eowyn, Faramir, Galadriel, Witch King and Gondorian Soldier are must haves. Someone mentioned once that an Old Bilbo minifigure would be a great exclusive in a DK LotR/Hobbit book, and I'd have to agree.

No Galadriel please. There is no good set for her with only one wave left (maybe) for LOTR. Put her in a Hobbit set if you want her, she supposedly does some fighting with the White Council in those movies.

I believe they could, and should include a breastplate for the Gondor soldier. It doesn't need a new mold, they could just use the same old one that was used on Theoden/Uruk Hai, but with different printing.

I think the shield from the Roman soldier in CMF line would be a better shape, though the tree wouldn't print as nice with the stud in the center.

Maybe, but roman shield doesnt seems right to me.. and about the armour piece..i am not sure (anybody here :) ) All of it depends on the third wave sets if there will be any...

Err yes, I meant I the Fel Beast is the most important imo.

Maybe, but roman shield doesnt seems right to me...

I think the Roman Shield would work, but this shield would be near perfect for a Gondor Shield (more rounded edges and no stud in middle, it would need a different print/color obviously).

Edited by Deathleech

Err yes, I meant I the Fel Beast is the most important imo.

I think the Roman Shield would work, but this shield would be near perfect for a Gondor Shield (more rounded edges and no stud in middle, it would need a different print/color obviously).

Its to edgy... and stud in the middle? Aaargh, it should be plane, without stud, because of the white tree sign in the middle.