General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

might only renew the Hobbit and NOT the LotR license.

I didn't even think about that! That's a good point. :look: .

If the last wave of LOTR was the LAST wave then do you think we would have got the sets we got.

If the last wave of LOTR was the LAST wave then do you think we would have got the sets we got.

This is what I'm getting at. It makes no sense for LEGO to get the license for one of the most successful film trilogies of all time and cover less than 20% of the scenes from ROTK. We've got Shelob, the Black Gate and the Corsair Ship (which has barely any iconic value). We've got plenty from FOTR and TTT, so it would make complete sense for LEGO to switch gears and focus heavily on Gondor as their last wave of LOTR.

And while LEGO may treat LOTR and The Hobbit separately, the rights are all one thing, all owned by New Line / Warner Bros. At least thats what I thought when the license agreement was first announced.

This is what I'm getting at. It makes no sense for LEGO to get the license for one of the most successful film trilogies of all time and cover less than 20% of the scenes from ROTK. We've got Shelob, the Black Gate and the Corsair Ship (which has barely any iconic value). We've got plenty from FOTR and TTT, so it would make complete sense for LEGO to switch gears and focus heavily on Gondor as their last wave of LOTR.

Oh I totally agree with you, don't get me wrong. It makes perfect sense for Lego to release at least one more wave that is heavily Gondor themed, much like the first was heavily Rohan themed. It's just with Lego you never know. I mean did it make sense for them to release the Orc Forge in the first wave or the Pirate Ship Ambush in the second wave? Does it make sense we got 2 different Goblin Town goblin prints and 2 different Undead Soldier prints when those figures might only eve be used in one set? Yet the Mordor Orc has appeared in over 4 different sets yet he has had the same print every single time. Why would Arwen be in a set before Eowyn or Faramir? With Lego you never know.

With that being said I do find it REALLY hard to believe they would totally leave out such a big faction like Gondor, especially with that being the number one most wanted set among the majority of fans right now. I'm just saying their absence doesn't necessarily mean a third wave with them is a sure thing.

There is no doubt now that Orthanc is doing great in sales. Toys R Us now carry it on their website (both USA and Canada) when it was supposed to be an exclusive to Lego.com. There is NO DOUBT that TRU negociated with Lego once they saw how much of a winner it is, and the real must-have of the second wave (and I'd say, of the whole theme so far).

This is very good news for us who are hoping for more huge LOTR sets.

Edited by SheepEater

(4) Witch King set: the one everyone seems to agree on that is necessary---While it may not be a big point, it is hard to believe Merry would not appear in this. He is equally important as Eowyn in that scene. I would even prefer Merry appear in Theoden's place with armor.

I totally agree. The point of the scene is lost without Merry. In online fora and in face-to-face discussions, it surprises and saddens me how few people understand what Tolkien intended this scene to be about.

I find it funny how people are STILL doubting a third wave. LEGO won't just stop making sets while they hold the license. If they have it, they will use it. And not giving us any sets based on Gondor is almost a disservice to the fans.

From my understanding all this talk started about a month ago from a Brickset user claiming a Lego employee telling him the LOTR line is cancelled due to poor sales. The reality is that its too early to know whats in store for the Summer 2014 range. Unless the Hobbit sets have another teaser in the instruction manuals like last year, the earliest we're going to get any credible information is December.

Both the rumours about the line ending and the recent set list should be taken with a grain of salt.

There is no doubt now that Orthanc is doing great in sales. Toys R Us now carry it on their website (both USA and Canada) when it was supposed to be an exclusive to Lego.com.

Actually, quite a few D2C sets end up on retail sites other than Lego. It's just a matter of time.

From my understanding all this talk started about a month ago from a Brickset user claiming a Lego employee telling him the LOTR line is cancelled due to poor sales.

Actually there has been talk about the line ending for quite awhile now. I think claims were first made as soon as a few months after the initial LotR wave was released. Some people said the sets were selling poorly. Then we got the Hobbit wave with confirmation of a second summer LotR wave and that shut everyone up for awhile. More recently the rumors of poor sales and the line ending have started surfacing again. Ironic how these rumors always start to come in hot and heavy when there is no other news or things are slow eh?

From my understanding all this talk started about a month ago from a Brickset user claiming a Lego employee telling him the LOTR line is cancelled due to poor sales. The reality is that its too early to know whats in store for the Summer 2014 range. Unless the Hobbit sets have another teaser in the instruction manuals like last year, the earliest we're going to get any credible information is December.

Both the rumours about the line ending and the recent set list should be taken with a grain of salt.

I find lego employees in general rather useless, though some are really great.. Sure they can point out a set on the shelves, but ask them a question beyond that and you often get a blank stare. And frankly employees of a store are always going to be the last ones to know. It's not like TLG is sending them memos. Likely if they have heard it its just another ill conceived rumor.

good idea but would you have half a gate, tree and other important things?

The tree and other important things “in the middle of the city” could of course be made complete. Like the top of tower of orthanc has four spines not two, even though the rest of the tower is split in two :classic:

^ orthanc is not half missing more like 1/3-1/4 but I get your point and it could be a good idea although I would not like to have to explain to my wife why I am buying two of the same £100+ sets.

I would be perfectly happy with two-three Levels and a small citadel With the tree on top, because let's face it, there wasn't that many memorable buildings in Minas Tirith, I mean most People probably remembers the citadel, the gates, the tree and thats it.

Edited by Mr Breden

Gondor is important but justice couldn't really be given to such a large place as Minas Tirith without a really painful price.

I would be happy to skip a full Minas Tirith if we got cheaper sets like The Forbidden Pool and Fellbeast etc.

Visit this http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85483 for a nice design by Lynx for the Forbidden Pool.

My dream wave 3 LotR sets would look something like this:

$19.99 - Treebeard Encounter

3 Minifigures - Merry, Pippin, and Grishnak

This set would be a brick built Treebeard with another smaller brick built tree. Pretty self explanatory.

$29.99 - Gondor Soldier Army

5-6 Minifigures - 2 Gondor Soldiers, 3 Mordor Orcs (new armor and prints), 1 Mountain Troll, (Faramir in Ranger gear if a named character is absolutely necessary).

This would have a white wall piece that could connect to the big Minas Tirith set and be used to expand that set. The wall would be about the same size as the Uruk-hai Army wall piece. It would have a break away section. The set would also include an orc catapult, or more preferably one of those towers on wheels they push up to the wall to unload Orcs (can't recall the name atm). There is one less minifigure in this set because I figure the Troll would take up the spot of a minifigure AND a horse/Warg.

$39.99 - Bridge of Khazad-dûm

4 Minifigures - Gandalf the Gray, 2 Moria Orcs with new helm armor, Boromir

The main brick built piece of this set would obviously be the Balrog, who would be about a time and a half to twice the size of Shelob. It would also include the Khazad-dum bridge with a few stairs on each side. The Balrog would have an arm that swings up and down to imitate his whipping action. The bridge itself would break away in the center, as would the stairs on either side. Boromir isn't necessary, but I figure we prolly won't get many other chances to see him again so might as well throw him in here.

$49.99 - Oliphant Stampede

5 Minifigures - Legolas, 2 Haradrim, 1 Haradrim Chieftain, 1 Rohan Soldier on black horse

The main feature of this set would be the large molded Oliphant. It would be slightly bigger than the old molded elephant/triceratops Lego has used and would have red markings like it appears in the video game. The brick built component of this set would be the tent/stand on the back of the Oliphant. The play feature would be the platform popping off (simulating Legolas cutting the cords and making it slide off). While I would ideally like to include 2 Easterlings in this set and have it be a more expensive army builder, I don't see Lego ever including them since they were never actually shown during the Pelennor Fields battle in the movie.

$79.99 - Witch King Battle

6 Minifigures - Merry in Rohan attire, Eowyn, Witch King, Theoden, Gothmog, Rohan Soldier (or Orc instead), molded Fel Beast seen in game

Since Minas Tirith is so big, the Fel Beast will be molded, and there is really nothing of substance to build from Pelennor Fields, they could use this set to include the bottom wall of Minas Tirith with the gate section. If there is room, they could also possibly include a brick built Grond, but that is only if pieces permit (which I don't think they would if the wall/gate was about the size of 3 Helm's Deep Lego walls put together).

$149.99-199.99 - Minas Tirith

11-12 Minifigures - Pippin in Gondor attire, 2 White Tree Fountain Guards, 2 Gondor Soldiers, Denethor, Gandalf the White with Shadowfax, 3 Orcs, Nazgul, molded Fel Beast, (Faramir if not included in the Gondor Soldier Army set)

Since this is already a fairly large wave with a lot of mid-higher end priced sets, this could conceivably be a D2C exclusive and priced even a little higher with more build. The build would the second level of the city and the top courtyard with a small Citadel (think the hall in the Lego Helm's Deep). The second level would only have a small building or two and a wall while the centerpiece would be the top level. Besides the Citadel it would also have the White Tree in the middle and the point at the end with a flip function to launch Denethor to his death :grin: There would also be 2-3 sections of the wall and building that could explode and 2 trebuchets that you could place randomly at different points on the wall. I would include a Nazgul and Fel Beast because I don't concievably see people buying multiples of the Witch King Battle but people will want at least a few Fel Beasts as seen in the film. Plus it gives you the ability to recreate the Gandalf/Nazgul encounter (even though this would be a regular Nazgul when it was technically the Witch King.. possibly include two heads?).

I tried to keep these sets as believable as possible with how Lego would actually create them. If we got a third wave like THIs I could die a happy person. I know some scenes were still missed like the Watcher in the Water, Amon Hen, etc., but I think this coveres all the main scenes and factions and at the same time offers some really great playable sets kids would eat up. The minifigure selection is nice with at least 1-2 exclusive chartacters per set.

I could see TLG making those sets, the only figure major character missing (I think) is Galadriel, maybe in a Hobbit set.

5-6 Minifigures - 2 Gondor Soldiers, 3 Mordor Orcs

We get Orcs in other sets so if its a Gondor Soldier Army then more Gondor Soldiers please

all you are missing is mount doom

5-6 Minifigures - 2 Gondor Soldiers, 3 Mordor Orcs

We get Orcs in other sets so if its a Gondor Soldier Army then more Gondor Soldiers please

all you are missing is mount doom

Well if it included Faramir that would be 3 good guys (Gondor Soldiers) and 3 bad (Orcs, not including the Mountain Troll). I dunno how likely Lego is to include a large molded creature in an army builder like the Mountain Troll, opting for a horse instead seems more likely. At any rate 2 Gondor Soldiers still seems like a good number considering we only got one Rohan Soldier in the Uruk-hai Army. Also consider (in the film) there were 200,000 orcs at the Battle of Pelennor Field and only like 2300 Gondor Soldiers. I would feel weird getting an army builder with way more Gondor Soldiers because of this. We have gotten several sets with Mordor Orcs already, but none have been army builders in the slightest so even if you bought all of them up to this point you are only going to have 10-20 Orcs tops before the army builder/third wave is released.

I think Mount Doom, Amon Hen, the Watcher in the Water, the Prancing Pony (done similar to Market Village), and Osgiliath would all make for a great fourth wave if Lego got around to them. They aren't as important as the other sets but still major scenes in the film.

Well if it included Faramir that would be 3 good guys (Gondor Soldiers) and 3 bad (Orcs, not including the Mountain Troll). I dunno how likely Lego is to include a large molded creature in an army builder like the Mountain Troll, opting for a horse instead seems more likely. At any rate 2 Gondor Soldiers still seems like a good number considering we only got one Rohan Soldier in the Uruk-hai Army. Also consider (in the film) there were 200,000 orcs at the Battle of Pelennor Field and only like 2300 Gondor Soldiers. I would feel weird getting an army builder with way more Gondor Soldiers because of this. We have gotten several sets with Mordor Orcs already, but none have been army builders in the slightest so even if you bought all of them up to this point you are only going to have 10-20 Orcs tops before the army builder/third wave is released.

I think Mount Doom, Amon Hen, the Watcher in the Water, the Prancing Pony (done similar to Market Village), and Osgiliath would all make for a great fourth wave if Lego got around to them. They aren't as important as the other sets but still major scenes in the film.

where have you read there were ONLY 2300 Gondor soldiers in a battle? thats how many came to aid.... the garisson of such bigcity/citadel alone would take a permanent presence of atleast 1.5-2000 troops just to keep the public order and food reservations under control....

Each level had its own ''batallion'' of troops stationed there before the reinforcements arrived.... so its safe to assume there were atleast 4-5.000 troops in there at the start of attack...

Aragorn even says before marching to Black Gate that city (once the reinforcement arrive from South) will be better guarded than before the attack started and they were sitting on 7.000 troops roughly if i recall correctly.

My dream wave 3 LotR sets would look something like this:

$19.99 - Treebeard Encounter

3 Minifigures - Merry, Pippin, and Grishnak

This set would be a brick built Treebeard with another smaller brick built tree. Pretty self explanatory.

5-6 Minifigures - 2 Gondor Soldiers, 3 Mordor Orcs (new armor and prints), 1 Mountain Troll, (Faramir in Ranger gear if a named character is absolutely necessary).

This would have a white wall piece that could connect to the big Minas Tirith set and be used to expand that set. The wall would be about the same size as the Uruk-hai Army wall piece. It would have a break away section. The set would also include an orc catapult, or more preferably one of those towers on wheels they push up to the wall to unload Orcs (can't recall the name atm). There is one less minifigure in this set because I figure the Troll would take up the spot of a minifigure AND a horse/Warg.

$39.99 - Bridge of Khazad-dûm

4 Minifigures - Gandalf the Gray, 2 Moria Orcs with new helm armor, Boromir

The main brick built piece of this set would obviously be the Balrog, who would be about a time and a half to twice the size of Shelob. It would also include the Khazad-dum bridge with a few stairs on each side. The Balrog would have an arm that swings up and down to imitate his whipping action. The bridge itself would break away in the center, as would the stairs on either side. Boromir isn't necessary, but I figure we prolly won't get many other chances to see him again so might as well throw him in here.

$49.99 - Oliphant Stampede

5 Minifigures - Legolas, 2 Haradrim, 1 Haradrim Chieftain, 1 Rohan Soldier on black horse

The main feature of this set would be the large molded Oliphant. It would be slightly bigger than the old molded elephant/triceratops Lego has used and would have red markings like it appears in the video game. The brick built component of this set would be the tent/stand on the back of the Oliphant. The play feature would be the platform popping off (simulating Legolas cutting the cords and making it slide off). While I would ideally like to include 2 Easterlings in this set and have it be a more expensive army builder, I don't see Lego ever including them since they were never actually shown during the Pelennor Fields battle in the movie.

$79.99 - Witch King Battle

6 Minifigures - Merry in Rohan attire, Eowyn, Witch King, Theoden, Gothmog, Rohan Soldier (or Orc instead), molded Fel Beast seen in game

Since Minas Tirith is so big, the Fel Beast will be molded, and there is really nothing of substance to build from Pelennor Fields, they could use this set to include the bottom wall of Minas Tirith with the gate section. If there is room, they could also possibly include a brick built Grond, but that is only if pieces permit (which I don't think they would if the wall/gate was about the size of 3 Helm's Deep Lego walls put together).

$149.99-199.99 - Minas Tirith

11-12 Minifigures - Pippin in Gondor attire, 2 White Tree Fountain Guards, 2 Gondor Soldiers, Denethor, Gandalf the White with Shadowfax, 3 Orcs, Nazgul, molded Fel Beast, (Faramir if not included in the Gondor Soldier Army set)

Since this is already a fairly large wave with a lot of mid-higher end priced sets, this could conceivably be a D2C exclusive and priced even a little higher with more build. The build would the second level of the city and the top courtyard with a small Citadel (think the hall in the Lego Helm's Deep). The second level would only have a small building or two and a wall while the centerpiece would be the top level. Besides the Citadel it would also have the White Tree in the middle and the point at the end with a flip function to launch Denethor to his death :grin: There would also be 2-3 sections of the wall and building that could explode and 2 trebuchets that you could place randomly at different points on the wall. I would include a Nazgul and Fel Beast because I don't concievably see people buying multiples of the Witch King Battle but people will want at least a few Fel Beasts as seen in the film. Plus it gives you the ability to recreate the Gandalf/Nazgul encounter (even though this would be a regular Nazgul when it was technically the Witch King.. possibly include two heads?).

I tried to keep these sets as believable as possible with how Lego would actually create them. If we got a third wave like THIs I could die a happy person. I know some scenes were still missed like the Watcher in the Water, Amon Hen, etc., but I think this coveres all the main scenes and factions and at the same time offers some really great playable sets kids would eat up. The minifigure selection is nice with at least 1-2 exclusive chartacters per set.

That would cover nearly all i hope for. But i think i prefer a brick build fellbeast/mumakil.

Can't wait to see the next wave.

Deathleech dream list would sound really awesome.

And I Def. think there will be one more wave for LOTR sets, there is no point stop now.

In the last wave of LOTRs some sets didn´t sell so good here and so didn´t in the Hobbit but some of them were sold out immidiately. And I think this is the same everywhere, some sets sell better then others.

Still about the BS list the one new guy gave out for 2014 LOTR, there is no way any designer or someone elso on TLG would risk the job on TLG, telling info and better yet show images to someone that then goes on to a Lego forum creates and account for himself and blabbers that he knows the list and the prices and how the upcoming sets look like.

BS. megablocks, like Penn would say it

Edited by Mencot

Not sure if someone copied already but I found this:

The Mirror of Galadriel – Includes Frodo in a plain shirt and Galadriel. There is a small mirror and a statue.

– $12.99

Amon Hen Ambush – Includes 2 Uruk Hai, Boromir, and what he believes is Merry. Small set of steps and the palantir tower.

– $25.99

The Defence of Osgiliath – Includes 2 Orcs, a Gondor Knight, and maybe a Ranger. Small orc boat and ruins.

– $40.00

Witch King Showdown – Includes the Witch King, Theoden, a Rider of Rohan (Eowyn), a white horse, and a Nazgul. Also includes a Fellbeast and small grassy area.

– $60.00

The Battle of Minas Tirith – Includes Gandalf, 2 Gondor Knights, maybe 4 Orcs, a troll, and possibly Pippen. Set has 1 large gate at ground level, 2 smaller levels with a small house and the citadel. Also includes an orc catapult outside the city.

– $120.00 -

See more at: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-lord-rings-2014-preliminary-set-names-details/#sthash.95s4Nqh5.dpuf

I hope that (atleast) last set is not true or the price range is double lol

^ the internet is a funny place, that list was posted on here then reported on thebrickfan then posted back on here again

^ the internet is a funny place, that list was posted on here then reported on thebrickfan then posted back on here again

And that obviously makes it true, right? :-)