Sign in to follow this  
Lynx

[CUUSOO] The Forbidden Pool - Combining Lord of the Rings and the Clas

[CUUSOO] The Forbidden Pool - Combining Lord of the Rings and the Classic Forestmen

Dear all,

this is my very first CUUSOO project. The Lord of the Rings has taken me out of the dark ages, but one thing that I find lacking after the first two waves was a representation of the men of Gondor. Faramir, in particular, is my favourite Tolkien character, and I hope to see an official LEGO version of him in the future.

This project is based on Henneth Annun, The Window on the Sunset, as it appeared in The Two Towers. I experimented a lot with the set and exchanged some play features - from a changing coloration of the inner waterfall (as featured in the book) to the current version with a secret entrance. My favourite LEGO sets as a child were the Forstemen sets, and Faramir's Rangers and their hideout reminded me of the green forest dwellers of the late 80s.

I think this set is a realistic proposal for CUUSOO since it is not overly large and has the potential appeal to audiences from Lord of the Rings fans to young LEGO fans. I appreciate any comments!

Cheers,

Michael

Link to the CUUSOO project: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Overview of the set.

9411206791_afbe48a1b4_z.jpg

Henneth Annun by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

I initially played with the idea of having a two-layered pool with a lever that shot fish around but abandoned it due to ever-incraesing piece count.

9411207879_fcd5774d0b.jpg

Gollum in Pool better by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

Secret entrance through the Waterfall.

9413982698_73c7a3277d.jpg

Henneth Annun - entrance through Window on the West by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

Secret side entrance.

9411205361_378234d700.jpg

Secret entrance by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

The floor can be pushed down to create a slope leading into the lower level of the cave. I intend to improve on this section once I have more bricks at my disposal. Ideally, I will have more furniture on the upper level and a hidden trapdoor leading down.This would also free some space on the bottom level for weapon racks and a smaller chamber to interrogate Gollum.

9413968294_1f02bc50ee_n.jpg

Secret door by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

This play feature features the Ranger ambush on Gollum. A sliding plate moves the Ranger out of his cover to face Gollum.

9450672974_c172f6631c_n.jpg

Ambush by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

I'm not satisfied with the look of the map on the crate, yet - again due to limited space caused by the larger than intended slope.

9413970862_35c901e3d2_n.jpg

Faramir in cave by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

Proposed minifigures: Frodo, Gollum and - photographed from the video game - Faramir, Madril and a Gondor Ranger.

9414045168_ca0930fc7b_n.jpg

Henneth Annun Rangers by Elessar II Aragorn, on Flickr

Edited by Lynx

I love this design! It would make a rather decent battle pack, and it has many useful pieces. I do like all those play functions. I'm not sure why, but I feel a play function adds an awful lot to a set, and here they are perfectly integrated. :thumbup:

I love this design! It would make a rather decent battle pack, and it has many useful pieces. I do like all those play functions. I'm not sure why, but I feel a play function adds an awful lot to a set, and here they are perfectly integrated. :thumbup:

Thank you for the kind words!

I can't remember if I voted for this before or not, I remember looking at it and thinking- awesome!! :wub:

Sorry for taking so long to put my thoughts down in text!!

I'd love to see the improvements too!

EDIT- I did vote!

Edited by Mutant Orc

Thanks a lot! And better late than never regarding your comments, Mutant Orc. :classic: Always appreciated!

I haven't forgotten my planned improvements, but unfortunately I won't get around to do it before the end of the year (semester break).

Wow, this is really nice! Love the play features. They add to it without being too in your face, just like play features should. The only thing is, does lego ever do sets with this level of rock or water work? I don't remember seeing anything that complicated in official sets, especially the water. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Great job! I love all the play features, they are perfectly intergrated. I would buy this in a heartbeat. Supported!

Wow, this is really nice! Love the play features. They add to it without being too in your face, just like play features should. The only thing is, does lego ever do sets with this level of rock or water work? I don't remember seeing anything that complicated in official sets, especially the water. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Great job! I love all the play features, they are perfectly intergrated. I would buy this in a heartbeat. Supported!

Thanks guys. You might be right, Maxwell. The water may look more complex than it is, though. It's just SNOT (8x4 baseplate with some 2x1 and 1x1 on it). And the rock work complexity is similar to that of Attack on Weathertop. I've included some larger bricks (those molded rock pieces) on the sides to keep the piece count (and associated price) down.

I like the play features that you have incorporated into this set. Nice job, and I agree that Faramir was wrongfully overlooked.