General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

If you look closely at the box cover, it shows Gandalf, Wildstyle, and Batman in Middle Earth. Argonath and Barad'Dur are visible in the background. There's also a shot of the Riddler riding the Balrog...

Just noticed they said more fun packs are being announced...

Thorin fun pack yes please! and as vehicle his Ram :cry_happy: oh that would bring tears to my eye

(as i expect you can take the figs off the base's off course)

Edit: I wonder what vehicles Legolas, Gimli, and Gollum will get. :blush:

Edited by Ql97

I'm wondering if there may be tie-in sets in the pipeline based on levels of the game...? This would be a golden opportunity to get the Balrog as it seems to be a boss. I won't hold my breath tho.

In the photos on the polygon website I spot: gimli, an Orc carrying the eye of Sauron, the white tree if gondor (behind the riddler), the Balrog obv and a Mumakil in the background. They all copy the first video-game versions exactly though by the looks of it.

Bugbot, everything appears to be micro builds. But it has to be a good sign that there are three fun packs dedicated to Lord of the RIngs as well as one of the characters in the Starter pack.

This is really strange...We didn't get ANYTHING from LotR in the last two years and it looked as if they were trying to get rid of this whole Middle Earth theme as soon as possible. But now it's quite a big part of a new Lego video game. I mean even if kids like what they see they can't even buy the sets anymore. :sceptic:

I'm probably setting myself up for a huge disappointment here, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a couple of new minifigures down the line... The Marty McFly pack clearly demonstrates that TLG is willing to produce new moulds for Dimensions, so there's still hope we might get to see at least Sauron or the Witch-King at one point :wub:

I just noticed that the LotR Legolas in the Fun Pack uses the Hobbit Legolas face, technically making it an exclusive figure! LotR 2015 lives! :head_back:

Bugbot, everything appears to be micro builds. But it has to be a good sign that there are three fun packs dedicated to Lord of the RIngs as well as one of the characters in the Starter pack.

Yeas I see it's only the micro builds/figures with the chips in the base for now, I'm just proposing the idea if they do full size tie-in sets, wishful thinking I know

I'm probably setting myself up for a huge disappointment here, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a couple of new minifigures down the line... The Marty McFly pack clearly demonstrates that TLG is willing to produce new moulds for Dimensions, so there's still hope we might get to see at least Sauron or the Witch-King at one point :wub:

:look: ...

:oh: ...

*oh2* !!!

Also probably the biggest question: why the wizard of oz level with only the wicked witch as a physical toy? Didn't that theme get rejected in an ideas review?

First of all it's really nice that something related to LotR is coming in the future :classic: . The three funpacks are ok, but especially the little builds (axe chariot and arrow launcher) aren't really exciting compared to the BTTF pack for instance.

Now I'm hoping that Dimensions is a success and that they are producing more related to LotR (maybe we're lucky and they are producing new characters like the Witch-King ( :wub: ) but I doubt it...

PS: Does Gimli have a new face print or is it the same like the current one?

Edited by Balbo

I think it's the same. Legolas is the only LotR character to have a new variant, but it's just a combination of existing prints from two existing Legolas variants.

Hmm...just minifigures with a micro build...why this and why not a proper battle-packs, TLC? :sceptic:

I'm not sure this means there will be more sets. Maybe they hope to get LotRs fans to buy the game and think they can do it without additional -traditional- sets beyond the game ones (which seem to all be small). I mean, there's Back to the Future but I wouldn't expect a whole wave of -real- sets based on that franchise at all but imagine all the fans that will buy the game because it's in it!

I think it's more a strategy of appealing to as many franchises as possible, supplying the game-ish small sets and reach as many people as possible that way. All without investing in new full waves of LotRs or BttF.

I will definitively buy a pack or two if they come with some new characters, I will not however get the old ones since a minifig and 50 pieces for 15 bucks is way too expensive!

I don't know but I will probably buy all the Middle Earth ones to show support for continuing the line.

EDIT:

Gollum has mini Shelob.

Gimli has an axe chariot.

Legolas has an arrow launcher.

Your last two links lead to the Unikitty fun pack...... :wink:

My personal opinion is that Lego is making Gandalf such a big part of the game for one reason: To clear the factories of spare Gandalfs. He was in a lot of sets, as were Batman and Wildstyle. I'm pretty sure Lego is using the same method that they used for the Castle battle packs from last year.

Saying that (and I hate to kill the mood) I don't think it's likely that new characters are on the way.

Edited by BrickJagger

BrickJagger, why would LEGO want to harm the release of this new venture just to clear unused Gandalf? Lord of the Rings has as much representation in this as The LEGO Movie and more than Ninjago and DC (by just one Fun Pack). There also appears to be a Middle Earth level.

I agree with you that LEGO is not likely introduce new Middle Earth minifigures for this game. But with Lord of the Rings playing such a prominent role in the game, perhaps, there is a change for a more limited LotR sets in the future.

I realize that my links were screwy. I edited them multiple times and I don't know how the other links did not work when I finally got the Gollum link right. But surely that is not too much of a challenge for this board.

My personal opinion is that Lego is making Gandalf such a big part of the game for one reason: To clear the factories of spare Gandalfs. He was in a lot of sets, as were Batman and Wildstyle. I'm pretty sure Lego is using the same method that they used for the Castle battle packs from last year.

That might be a factor, but Gandalf is also immensely popular now. Also, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, and Gollum haven't been in production since 2013. I'd think they would have gotten rid of them by now.

I WANT SETS OF BOTH LEGO ... DAMNIT!!!

With or without the Riddler's chair? :wink:

I´m trying to hold my hopes on a low, but am i the only one who´s kinda surprised that the license will keep up for any longer? I thought the whole middle earth Theme is done and would vanish from the shelves completely during the next months?! But adding Lotr characters to a game and selling the minifigures means the license def.will keep on for at least a year (?)!

That might be a factor, but Gandalf is also immensely popular now. Also, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, and Gollum haven't been in production since 2013. I'd think they would have gotten rid of them by now.

Not quite true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2nd wave of Lotr sets were still coming out of factories around this time last year. It's only been about a year.

WB probably extended the license just to get a share in the toys-to-life industry, but the original license would have expired sometime this year. Alternatively, LEGO could have bought the toys-to-life license and let the building toy license expire.

Not quite true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2nd wave of Lotr sets were still coming out of factories around this time last year. It's only been about a year.

You're right, but LEGO could have recycled the plastic from the minifigures instead of releasing them. I think LEGO wanted to include popular characters, and having extra Gandalfs in the factories could have contributed to why they picked Gandalf over any other popular character.

Videogames take 4-5 years to develop, and the LOTR aspect would have been locked in long before Lego decided to stop making sets this past year.