DarkSurgeXL

Legends of Chima 2013 (Action Figures)

Oh god that better not be orange. Talk about inaccuracy. I'd prefer it to be tan as well, with a dark blue shell on his torso to match his minfig colors.

I'm wondering why anyone actually thought he used orange. It's kind of obvious.

And Aanchir, could you please link to that wing part?

You can see several of them in this set.

(Did anyone else realize cache.LEGO.com pics were up? I sure didn't.)

HF ones are up too!

Would anyone who knows..how the new cache system works get them? I can get the main ones by typing the set number in, but what about the secondary pictures?

Nevermind, I got how the URLs work thanks to the LoC pics Aanchir posted in Action Themes. Nothing new..I'll link to them in the HF 2013 thread anyway.

Edited by Shakar

How is that mechanical?

It is the obvious choice however.

I just was calling them mechanical to differentiate them from the very organic-looking wing elements on the Chima minifigures. They definitely look more "machine-tooled" than actual bird wings.

Decided to wander into this topic for a change...

Anyway, not too interested in the Lion dude (Laval? Still learning the names). But I'm interested in the Croc if just for the head. Seems like it has a hinged jaw (it would be stupid if it didn't) which adds that much more coolness to it.

Kalhiki

Citation needed, hombre.

Warming shelves around here. Most places still can't get rid of 2.0 Villains.

It sells, but it is not exactly selling like bread.

Ultrabuilds are really moving slowly which is very bad considering they are super hero licensed.

Two Constraction themes without license to back them up at the same time? Sounds like losing money.

Edited by vexorian

Warming shelves around here. Most places still can't get rid of 2.0 Villains.

It sells, but it is not exactly selling like bread.

Ultrabuilds are really moving slowly which is very bad considering they are super hero licensed.

Two Constraction themes without license to back them up at the same time? Sounds like losing money.

As I suspected, anecdotal evidence. Just as it is in the Transformers fandom, it is useless as a metric to measure actual sales.

I mean, for all anecdotal evidence amounts to I could say Hero Factory is selling great! All around my area you'd be hard pressed to find any past waves at all, even the winter Breakout sets. (Or the DC based Constraction Figures.)

Edited by CabooseBM

Apart from Laval's legs which look quite horrible to me (at least in that pose), they don't look bad at all. Lots of nice pieces and even the heads look great, which were my greatest fear. LEGO hasn't been very successful in making organic heads that align with the rest of the body so far.

-Gata signoff.png

Those two look nice (recolor shells = :cry_happy:), If I buy one of the sets, it'll most likely be the Gator Guy (Sorry, I don't know his name, nor the Lion's name for that matter).

As I suspected, anecdotal evidence. Just as it is in the Transformers fandom, it is useless as a metric to measure actual sales.

I mean, for all anecdotal evidence amounts to I could say Hero Factory is selling great! All around my area you'd be hard pressed to find any past waves at all, even the winter Breakout sets. (Or the DC based Constraction Figures.)

I only need a counter example to show that HF sales are not impressive. Single exception is proof against "For all". So, my anecdtoal evidence is more than enough to show that HF is not the most stellar theme ever. It would have to be in order to allow LEGO to take the risk of having two constraction themes at the same time...

Nobody was saying it's the best-selling thing ever, just that the numbers for constraction figures meet and/or excel LEGO's expectations, enough to justify doing it again.

The "one counterexample" thing only works if the claim is that HF sets always sell better than anything else in every store.

And I don't think anyone has said that, ever.

As for the two revealed sets, I'm a bit put off by how sparse they seem. Though what is there looks pretty good. Especially the use of the HF "paw" piece as feet and the weapons.

In my opinion the fact that Lego is continuing with both HF and Chima is proof enough that HF isn't a flop. They wouldn't continue something that isn't doing well.

I only need a counter example to show that HF sales are not impressive. Single exception is proof against "For all". So, my anecdtoal evidence is more than enough to show that HF is not the most stellar theme ever. It would have to be in order to allow LEGO to take the risk of having two constraction themes at the same time...

You're misinterpreting my "for all" as it is not referring to "anecdotal evidence" but to "amounts to" as in "for all x amounts to". I am not saying all anecdotal evidence is positive. I'm saying anecdotal evidence is worthless as proof.

Edited by CabooseBM

In my opinion the fact that Lego is continuing with both HF and Chima is proof enough that HF isn't a flop. They wouldn't continue something that isn't doing well.

Except we do not know that yet. The Chima action figures are the only action figures theme we have heard of for the second half of 2013. It is actually looking like the opposite. It seems that HF 2013 sets were designed to fit Chima's look rather than the other way around. The 2013 wave of HF is looking to be transitional already.

Talking about proof, there is hardly anything that would hint that HF sales are exceeding any expectations. When themes exceed expectations, TLG usually announces it, like with Friends.

I just cannot picture TLG making two unlicensed constraction themes at the same time. I think the most we can expect right now is to have one last wave after brain attack sold with Chima as a good bye wave like what happened with ninjago. I actually think that the idea about Chima was exactly that. To merge the ninjago idea with the HF idea and make "the most successful Boys theme".

Edited by vexorian

Except we do not know that yet. The Chima action figures are the only action figures theme we have heard of for the second half of 2013. It is actually looking like the opposite. It seems that HF 2013 sets were designed to fit Chima's look rather than the other way around. The 2013 wave of HF is looking to be transitional already.

I thought I wasn't the only one who knew that brain'attack was a full year series. but, yeah, here is the proof HF is not over by summer 2013 (or at least a very big hint).

hf2013.jpg

The second point can be more or less translated as : "A real red string all year and used in every medias."

Weither or not this is HF's last year remain to be seen, but It won't end with only what we've seen so far, I'm sure of it.

Talking about proof, there is hardly anything that would hint that HF sales are exceeding any expectations. When themes exceed expectations, TLG usually announces it, like with Friends.

I just cannot picture TLG making two unlicensed constraction themes at the same time. I think the most we can expect right now is to have one last wave after brain attack sold with Chima as a good bye wave like what happened with ninjago. I actually think that the idea about Chima was exactly that. To merge the ninjago idea with the HF idea and make "the most successful Boys theme".

Except that having multiple constraction themes at the same time is a publicly acknowledged goal of TLG's. They've said many times in public that they want to get to a place where they have multiple unlicensed constraction themes. They want to own this market.

Your entire argument is basically "I see them at my store, so they must be unpopular, and I can't imagine this, so it must not be real."

To all those who are saying Chima is replacing HF, remember, we're only getting SIX Chima figures. Just like we only got SIX Superhero Ultrabuilds. These won't be replace HF anytime soon.

This might be only the first wave however. And Chima will probably have another year or two.

I don't understand why everybody is actually worried about the possibility of Chima replacing Hero Factory. After all these robot-themed constraction lines, I wouldn't mind if TLG would shift it's focus on a more fantasy-like approach. And since the characters in Chima are anthromorphic animals, I think it could work quite well (humans look still somewhat weird to me in that scale).

But yeah, as far as things seem to be now, I guess the Chima sets will coexist alongside Hero Factory. But I wouldn't mind if TLG decides to expand the Chima constraction sets in favor of Hero Factory (or a similiar theme).

On a totally unrelated topic: Thanks to the Lord of the Rings video game, I want a constraction set of Sauron and the Balrog.

I love how everybody was hattin when HF dirst showed up, but now nobody wants it to go away.

Now, on to Chima (nobody would suspect is a pun on "China", no sir xDD), I'm actually liking the figures, though not as much as Brain Attack, or even the Super Heroes Ultrabuilds. Nice new colors, but that "paw" thing for Laval foot simply doesn't work (the legs are actually okay, as the are supposed to be chiken legs or whatever they're called).

I love how everybody was hattin when HF dirst showed up, but now nobody wants it to go away.

Now, on to Chima (nobody would suspect is a pun on "China", no sir xDD), I'm actually liking the figures, though not as much as Brain Attack, or even the Super Heroes Ultrabuilds. Nice new colors, but that "paw" thing for Laval foot simply doesn't work (the legs are actually okay, as the are supposed to be chiken legs or whatever they're called).

I personally think Chima is more likely a pun on "chimera", what with the part-human animals. Not much obvious Asian influence in this theme, at least no more than a typical modern action cartoon has.