DarkSurgeXL

Legends of Chima 2013 (Action Figures)

I'm excited to see the other constraction sets. Especially Eris. Gorzan is also probably going to be awesome. I kinda wish the crocs had some Olive Green HF parts though...

Yeah, I was hoping for olive green too, but the green we got is a good deal regardless; it's nice to see the color resurfacing this year.

So I'm assuming the prices will be more akin to the Superhero sets? These look a tad more pricey than the medium HF ones.

Edited by Dorek

I dont know exactly why but for some reason that lion-head guy makes me think of the lion guy from Thundercats...

I dont know exactly why but for some reason that lion-head guy makes me think of the lion guy from Thundercats...

Posted the same thing in the Chima 2013 topic in the Action themes area. This line really evokes Thundercats, and Laval is looking more like Lion-O every time I see him.

That was quick!

There are a few pretty cool parts here. I really like the orange used on Laval, more large orange cladding pieces make me happy.

I can see a paw under the shield, but I can't figure out how the shield connects to the hand.

The fur parts are pretty cool, but I don't get why it the cladding under isn't orange to match the rest of the 'flesh'. Having said that, I love the trans blue cladding, and I fully expect to see it return in Stringer or Stormer in the summer. Those blades too are also very cool.

EDIT: I see Laval has extra leg joints. Maybe they're meant to be bent back to mimic real-life lion legs? Just a thought

This Cragger guy looks pretty powerful. I know some people are going to have fun with the large quantity of dark green cladding(I know I would), and the lime parts are pretty great too. Lower legs need a little armor in my opinion. I think that the grey on the tail looks out of place, but the method of attaching it works. Normally you see crocodile tails go side-to-side, not up-and-down, so it works for me.

Oh, and those blades are super awesome. I am definitely going to have fun MOC-Making with those :D

The heads on both look great, both are well detailed, but it looks like as if they will be just solid pieces instead of helmets with glowy head parts underneath, which is a shame. I can see a fair bunch of MOCers making Crocodile-beast-related creations shortly after receiving Cragger.

The Super-Hero-Torso-Add-On-Parts with the chi printed on to them look great, but would be very limited for other uses outside of Chima-related MOCS.

Overall, the two sets make a good impression on me. I look forward to seeing the other 4, if and when they hit shelves.

That Gorilla is one I look forward to seeing especially. :thumbup:

Edited by Cirkit

Both look absolutely incredible. The legs on Laval look a bit uninspired and I'm not sure I like the bareness of Cragger's lower legs, but these are the only complaints I have with them! I love the fact that both have back armour, they fill them out really well. Loving Cragger's new blade piece. Both are definitely bought on sight! They sure impress me better than the Brain Attack sets did, can't wait to see the other sets.

EDIT: Is that lime green on Cragger? Looks a like it's too dark to be so.

Edited by Lockon Stratos

I don't see any orange on Laval (the minifigs don't use it either)- I think it's just the weird lightning that makes the gold look like that.

I agree these look a bit more complex than the standard 13 Euro HF figure, especially Cragger. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 15 Euro sets like the Ultrabuild sets (except with a much better price per piece ratio since LoC isn't licensed).

This first 2013 wave looks like a 3rd year Exo-Force to me (except I liked Exo-Force). The figures look like they are on their wits end. Besides, four years is too long. Ninjago should have outlived it.

"Wah, I'm mad because Lego ended a theme I liked while a completely unrelated theme I don't like is outliving it!"

Please tell me I'm getting your post wrong and you're not using that logic. I except a higher level of maturity out of a EB member.

Edited by Shakar

I loled. What the hell is that? I hate that new theme. These figures look totally poor, I know they're prototypes but... Even though It's interesting if they cost as much as Superheroes figures.

I loled. What the hell is that? I hate that new theme. These figures look totally poor, I know they're prototypes but... Even though It's interesting if they cost as much as Superheroes figures.

Someone just talked about maturity.

Anyways, love these new figures exepct Laval's legs and the fact that Cragger's lower limbs are bare.

Someone just talked about maturity.

Anyways, love these new figures exepct Laval's legs and the fact that Cragger's lower limbs are bare.

I was wondering about Laval's odd legs as well. I think it's got to do with the fact that lions have "chicken legs" hind legs:

Link to large photo

I suppose Laval is supposed to have his legs bent in that way XT4 style, rather than being straight.

Edited by Brickthing

It's not replacing Hero Factory though...

The probability they will have two non-licensed constraction themes at the same time is very close to zero.

Even if there is a second HF wave in 2013, it sounds like what they did with ninjago, letting them have a last wave while kids are supposed to transition to Chima.

Edited by vexorian

"Wah, I'm mad because Lego ended a theme I liked while a completely unrelated theme I don't like is outliving it!"

Please tell me I'm getting your post wrong and you're not using that logic. I except a higher level of maturity out of a EB member.

That's what I am saying. However I'm not just basing it off my own opinion. Ninjago sets sold several hundred sets to one Hero. I saw several stores discounting their HF just to make room, but they are still there, taking space.

Though, it certainly looks like Lego is giving Chima a test run. If these six individual sets sell better in proportion to the entire 2013 wave of HF, then generally, I can assume production would be traded from the latter to the former. It's just their way of making money, much like how beautiful Ninjago was replaced with LoC.

The problem is, Ninjago and HF really aren't connected eachother. Ninjago is 2011-2013's "System" Action Theme while HF is 2010-201?'s constraction theme. Two different types of products, two different types of tragets.

If anything, LoC is Ninjago's replacement, and if HF gets axed it will be (probably) replaced by a new constraction theme.

I don't know if the LoC action figures are said replacment, but I'm somewhat doubtful as these sets have a whole different feeling than the usual sci-fi flavour of constraction figures (HF, Bionicle, Slizers, Roboriders). Of course this is a weak argument, but I'm just guessing.

Well, I like the new blade and the fact that we´re getting trans blue 5 armor pieces, plus gold and green 2.0 shoulder armor. And there´s the gold HF part used in Cragger´s blade. The way two Rocka swords fit together is awesome; it looked like one piece at first. However, the printed Chi cores are a let-down. Even the Phantoka Makuta looked better than that, and they were literally skeletal. Good thing we get dark green armor pieces though.

Build-wise, I think they should have given Cragger short arms, although that would have meant no new lime bones. I would have expected some better armoring too.

Overall, I´ll probably buy these, but only as supplements to HF. I hope the second wave looks better.

Second wave? Don't forget we have 4 more sets to see :wink: There are 6 sets, one for each animal clan.

Hopefully Razar is going to bring new lilac parts to the table. And I hope Eris is azure for no reason, because azure.

I was wondering about Laval's odd legs as well. I think it's got to do with the fact that lions have "chicken legs" hind legs:

I suppose Laval is supposed to have his legs bent in that way XT4 style, rather than being straight.

That's what I figured too (the proper word for that type of leg is "digitigrade"), but it still seems to be handled somewhat poorly. Digitigrade legs work like they do because the long part we think of as the "lower leg" is actually the back of the foot, with what we think of as the foot being merely the toe. And the design of Laval's feet doesn't really lend that impression.

The probability they will have two non-licensed constraction themes at the same time is very close to zero.

Even if there is a second HF wave in 2013, it sounds like what they did with ninjago, letting them have a last wave while kids are supposed to transition to Chima.

What makes two non-licensed constraction themes at one time so far-fetched? After all, they did that for Knights' Kingdom II's entire three-year lifespan. And I don't see what would make licensed and non-licensed sets follow different rules in this kind of instance. After all, a licensed theme has just as much likelihood of cannibalizing HF's sales than any non-licensed theme would-- perhaps more.

Not to mention that the new Hero Factory headpiece seems like it's being designed for longevity. If Hero Factory were ending so soon, I think we'd be much more likely to see a simple remold of the Glatorian head or even just the continued use of the Glatorian head.

Personally, I love these Chima constraction sets. They have flaws, like any sets, but they also have nice cohesive aesthetics (using parts in such a way that the models don't end up looking too mechanical), pretty good color schemes, and lots of excellent parts. Not sure how well this will do, since I don't know how much "crossover appeal" a HF-based constraction theme will have with a System theme, but I certainly hope for the best. Can't wait to see what the other four sets have to offer.

Edited by Aanchir

What makes two non-licensed constraction themes at one time so far-fetched?
They can hardly sell HF right now. Sure, the knights - But they were a system theme. Two themes using the build system just sounds very unlikely to me.

The best indicator right now is that the new HF sets seem to be built upon Chima's visual guidelines. That explains the medieval heroes and organic villains. It has transitional written all over it.

Edited by vexorian

I don't see any orange on Laval (the minifigs don't use it either)- I think it's just the weird lighting that makes the gold look like that.

You're probably right. Shame really. I was looking forward to more orangey awesomeness.

But how is it the gold shield looks gold in color, but not the cladding on the limbs? That truly must be some weird lighting..

I wonder what will happen if someone took Laval's head and placed it in Rocka 3.0's body.

The head would hit the armor.

Yay pictures!

I dare to say that Laval is mostly orange, not gold. I honestly doubt that the light in this picture makes the gold orange without changing other colours that drastically.

To the sets themselves:

Laval's lion head and the fur looks cool, same goes for his sword. But I'm on the fence regarding his colours. On one side, it's cool to see more orange parts, on the other, he would look better if the orange parts would be actually that bright sandish brown (I'm not sure of it's name, I mean the one that's also used on his face). I also agree on his legs, but maybe they wouldn't look so bad if he'd been posed properly... or if his upper thighs were shorter.

Cragger looks really good. I can even forgive the lack of armour on his lower legs since that helps to transport the proportions of actual crocodile limbs to his design. I'm curious how his head is connected though.

By the way... Am I the only one who noticed that neither of them wears a cape?

Edited by ZORK64

They can hardly sell HF right now. Sure, the knights - But they were a system theme. Two themes using the build system just sounds very unlikely to me.

The best indicator right now is that the new HF sets seem to be built upon Chima's visual guidelines. That explains the medieval heroes and organic villains. It has transitional written all over it.

Why is everybody forgetting the Ultrabuilds so fast? Seems like this is more of a replacement for THEM than anything else. If HF does end, a brand new line will probably take its place.

I was thinking... do you think these constraction sets will be in boxes or bags/pouches like Hero Factory? I hope boxes.