Sign in to follow this  
Mazin

Do you mix your old/used/new LEGO?

What few used sets i have bought stay in a seperate bin. Partly because they are the only sets i have has with cracking pieces, so i want to see if any of the sets i bought new end up cracking as well.

Interesting question!

I am keeping my old and in general my favourite sets apart from other used or new sets/parts that i have.

Nowadays though, i am buying both used and new parts that sooner or later will be mixed in order to create something new.

In most cases, I mix everything across years. The exceptions to this are the pre-1970s Samsonite bricks and sets. Because the logo on the studs is so distinct, it's easier to sort out. I also like to have it separate in case I want to "restore" one of my dad's old sets (most of the Samsonite era bricks were my dads).

I mix absolutely everything up except old/new greys and new white parts with yellowed white parts. I recently took apart every single one of my old sets and mixed them in with the main collection.

I sort of. Though I don't mix two different molds of the same part together or Old Dark/Light grey with New Dark/Light grey. But I'd use a piece from a 2000 set along side a 2016 part as long as they don't clash too bad.

I'll mix them in bins. In MOCs it depends. For example, I'm unlikely to mix yellowed white and clean white in one building, but I might build one with each color variation and have them next to each other to accentuate the difference. Old and new grays can be used in panels, like on one of the AT-ATs in the Star Wars section, or to differentiate metal and canvas like on my WW2 German stuff. I have one damaged rail from a yard bulk that I'm planning in using in a damaged factory.

Almost all of my parts are new.

The only significant exception was when I recreated the Classic Space All Terrain Vehicle (6927) a couple of years ago. I had it when I was younger but its parts along with the rest of my LEGO was given to charity when I entered my DA. I used a combination of new parts I had since becoming an AFOL in the early 90s, new parts bought on the secondary market and used parts bought on the secondary market that I couldn't find new. Some of the used white parts had yellowed so I treated them with hydrogen peroxide, Oxy Crystal White and sunlight. They're now indistinguishable from new parts.

atv_a_full.jpg

Edited by AmperZand

I tend to use the older discoloured parts as filler in terrain work, but otherwise I use it all together! All the brown shades make for slightly more natural looking trees.