CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

I liked the blue wedges. I think it looks like KK2 because of all the large pieces that could have been done with bricks. I felt that Lego was getting away from that since Castle I, and Kingdoms and LoTR also uses very few of those giant window in wall pieces. I don't think this castle holds up well to the Kingdoms castle, but I don't have the two side by side. Also, I don't think it is worth the shop at home price of $99, but I rarely think anything at the $99 price point holds up any longer.

I liked the blue wedges. I think it looks like KK2 because of all the large pieces that could have been done with bricks. I felt that Lego was getting away from that since Castle I, and Kingdoms and LoTR also uses very few of those giant window in wall pieces. I don't think this castle holds up well to the Kingdoms castle, but I don't have the two side by side. Also, I don't think it is worth the shop at home price of $99, but I rarely think anything at the $99 price point holds up any longer.

I don't own it, but from what I can see in the pictures, the Kingdoms castle has about the same amount of pre-fab wall pieces as the 2013 castle. Heck, I own a fair amount of '90s castle sets and they use pre-fab walls too.

Good reviews. Is it me, or did he put the wagon wheels on wrong in the forest ambush video? :laugh: Also, has anyone seen the dragon mountain set? That's the set I'm truly waiting for and have yet to see it anywhere. Maybe its because of the dragon mold itself?

Good reviews. Is it me, or did he put the wagon wheels on wrong in the forest ambush video? :laugh: Also, has anyone seen the dragon mountain set? That's the set I'm truly waiting for and have yet to see it anywhere. Maybe its because of the dragon mold itself?

Looks like the Dragon Mountain set will be a late bloomer, coming when the set is released on LEGO.com (but not a retailer exclusive/D2C). The same thing happened with the $50 new Summer theme set last year, the Monster Fighters Laboratory set.

i wish people would stop comparing the new castle to KK2. Have you guys forgotten what KK2 was like? This new stuff is NOTHING at all like KK2. I also can't fathom why everyone is so negative about the new castle when it is so incredibly similar to the Kingdoms castle that everyone has put on a pedestal. The only things that one can really say are <insert that tiresome argument> in comparison are the blue cheese wedges, but that isn't a major part of the design or structure. (I will admit that the Kingdoms castle's tower is better though.)

I feel after Echo's post I should add a bit more to my earlier post. Apart from my negative comments I still think it has great playability and is excellent for kids. That I assumed went without saying. I should have added that. I suppose I expected a different layout than the last castle 7946

I really like the catapult and the dungeon. I also like how it is modular.

My only critiques are:

* The baddies' siege engine looks rather silly, though I guess that could be fixed.

* The baddies all have two-sided faces. This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Two-sided faces mean that I have to always put a helmet or other large headgear on the figure; the figure would look weird if it goes bareheaded or wears a small hat. Again, this problem could be fixed by swapping out the heads with other ones I already have.

Edited by gundamz

The castle has grown on me after seeing the review, but I have 2 problems with it. The first being the string used to hold the drawbridge. It just doesnt look right and it hangs down too much when the bridge is down. I would of rather lego stuck to the chains used in the kingdoms castle which looks more realistic as well. Secondly i wonder why the back of the king's tower has that much detail given that it faces the back of the castle. A better solution would of to have the details to the front.

Edited by kermit

Just got the castle. I'm at Star Trek right now, but I'll try to get a review up later.

I'm a little disappointed about the YCF reviewer's lack of knowledge about what parts are new and what are not. I like that the crown is metallic gold rather than chrome gold. As I've stated before, I'm more interested in the parts for MOCing, so I will buy.

I reiterate, this is nothing like KK(I or II). The panel pieces people keep decrying are actually smaller than the classic 5x6x2 panels that made up most of the beloved castles.

The castle has grown on me after seeing the review, but I have 2 problems with it. The first being the string used to hold the drawbridge. It just doesnt look right and it hangs down too much when the bridge is down. I would of rather lego stuck to the chains used in the kingdoms castle which looks more realistic as well. Secondly i wonder why the back of the king's tower has that much detail given that it faces the back of the castle. A better solution would of to have the details to the front.

One thing I am concerned about is the durability of this set. The string looks a bit flimsy and might break over time. (As a sidenote: is the string special LEGO string, or can it easily be replaced by other string or yarn?)

The catapult looks good, but again, the flexible Technic piece looks a bit flimsy. I'm concerned that it might snap if I use the catapult too much or pull it back too far.

I'm a little disappointed about the YCF reviewer's lack of knowledge about what parts are new and what are not.

I found that it was best to turn the volume down and let the images do the talking. With that in mind I found the review helpful as it covered most of the detail in the set. The only thing I would have liked to see more of was the horse and what various pose options it has (i.e. rearing).

One thing I am concerned about is the durability of this set. The string looks a bit flimsy and might break over time. (As a sidenote: is the string special LEGO string, or can it easily be replaced by other string or yarn?)

The catapult looks good, but again, the flexible Technic piece looks a bit flimsy. I'm concerned that it might snap if I use the catapult too much or pull it back too far.

The string holding the drawbridge is of the variety that has a 1x1 plate fused to each end, so no, it can't be replaced easily. However, the string is thick and not likely to snap — the plates at each end will probably give out first, if my experiences are any indication.

The string holding the portcullis is more typical string and can be replaced with non-LEGO string without any loss in functionality.

Also, yeah, I almost never listen to video reviews with the sound on. If I'm watching to see the set then I expect the reviewer to show it on the video rather than just describing it.

Just picked up 2 Forest Ambush's at TRU -- with the BOGO currently live that's 8 figs, 2 dogs, a mini arsenal and four mini-builds for just over $20USD!! 8 FIGS FOR $20! Bargain!

Also, I was so caught up with the Lion Knights and how they'd fit in with the Crownies (the color blue is not an issue, but the darker gray legs are-- but that's another story), I didn't anticipate being as impressed as I was by the Red Dragons!!! Great torsos, great shields, great faction! I was pleasantly surprised by how nice these red guys finally look in hand.

Just picked up 2 Forest Ambush's at TRU -- with the BOGO currently live that's 8 figs, 2 dogs, a mini arsenal and four mini-builds for just over $20USD!! 8 FIGS FOR $20! Bargain!

Also, I was so caught up with the Lion Knights and how they'd fit in with the Crownies (the color blue is not an issue, but the darker gray legs are-- but that's another story), I didn't anticipate being as impressed as I was by the Red Dragons!!! Great torsos, great shields, great faction! I was pleasantly surprised by how nice these red guys finally look in hand.

Yeah, I think the new factions look great!

Edited by gundamz

Just got the castle. I'm at Star Trek right now, but I'll try to get a review up later.

Must be a great movie...

That's kind of a bummer, I was hoping for it to come out sooner. Oh well. Is the higher price because of the dragon mold do you think?

I just picked up two, so they are out there.

I have very little praised the new Castle line. I am here now to change that. I think this is probably the series I am most excited for this Summer. I am pleased that we are back to these particular colors (Kingdoms was not bad, mind you). The sets themselves are overall gorgeous and have this feeling to them that brings me back to my kid days. Very impressed and cannot wait to get my hands on some of these sets.

Edited by Penkid11

I put up two reviews of the Castle sets I got a hold of. The $20 one is a bit disappointing, but I'm loving the $12 one- four figures (two being new) is just awesome for the price!

Saw a half-dozen Dragon Mountain sets at my local TRU today... Prob go back in the next few days to pick one up. TRU price was $54.99... Would rather a few more figs but otherwise looks very enticing...

Saw a half-dozen Dragon Mountain sets at my local TRU today... Prob go back in the next few days to pick one up. TRU price was $54.99... Would rather a few more figs but otherwise looks very enticing...

Nice to know these sets are out there. Its the one I want the most. Thanks for the info.