Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

My First Pirate Ship

I wanted to share a few images of my first pirate ship aquired in December of 1982. This Playmobil ship was unfortunately before the Great Lego Classic Pirate Era, but just as memorable. I remember staring at this set in a local toy store window for what seemed like hours. The display had fake water, this ship, some pirates rowing to a small island with real sand, and other pirates digging up the treasure :-$ .

An English flag is depicted in the picture, but the set also came with a pirate flag. The pirate flag was orange though instead of black. I never liked it for that reason. I remember playing with this ship for hours. It was great!

pirates-1.jpg

pirates-3.jpg

pirates-2.jpg

Ah, some images from Mr. Brickster's childhood depicting his quaint little hobby, how touching!

I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind;

A. Does she have an interior?

B. If so do the figures fit?

C. Do you remember how much she cost?

D. You do like Lego better than Playmobil, right? Right? 8-|

E. Just out of sheer curiosity, have you ever created any Play Mobil MOCs?

For a children's toy, the ship is a fairly accurate representation of what a seafaring vessel should look like. What catches my attention more than anything else are the piratical accessories. It's too bad that the photo's too blurry to really distinguish anything. (I can recognize a cup, a cutlass, and an ax.)

For a children's toy, the ship is a fairly accurate representation of what a seafaring vessel should look like. What catches my attention more than anything else are the piratical accessories. It's too bad that the photo's too blurry to really distinguish anything. (I can recognize a cup, a cutlass, and an ax.)

Yes, I had always been impressed with the design and quality of the ship. I displayed it for a number of years without the Playmobil figs (they looked too "toyish" for me" as I was getting older). The ship is well designed and has a removable metal ballast that keeps it level in the water. It floated quite well.

In addition, the cabin has a removable top for playability. I think the ship was ahead of its time and I believe Playmobil produced it with minor variations for many years.

Here's a better image of the ship:

3050ship.jpg

Maybe one day, I'll try replicating in Lego.

I wanted to share a few images of my first pirate ship aquired in December of 1982. This Playmobil ship was unfortunately before the Great Lego Classic Pirate Era, but just as memorable.

Does anyone suspect the Playmobil Pirates are what inspired The LEGO Company to release their own Pirate theme?

Does anyone suspect the Playmobil Pirates are what inspired The LEGO Company to release their own Pirate theme?

Perhaps, but the theme is pretty generic. Others like Vikings, I would tend to wonder. If Lego does a historic Roman theme, then I would really think they are in fact copying.

But what is your view of this ship and Playmobil Pirates Phes?

My view is I don't have one yet! I really need to see more images of the 80's Playmobil sets before I can formulate an intelligent opinion.

Playmobil seems like a decent product although it doesn't really appeal to me like LEGO does.

I'm curious as to know how well Lego fans like other toys such as Playmobil. Pirates are not my favorite Playmobil theme, but I really like Playmobil for the Western (my favorite) and Adventure.

These aren't necessarily 80s sets, but here's a few more pics of some Playmobil Pirate sets and various catalogue images.

3938.jpg

sunrise.gif

cave.gif

schooner.gif

Boy there is alot of Playmobil coming in EuroBricks now :-P . But, that's nice that you got these pics from your childhood. That red pirate flag is terrible...bleh. PlayMobil made a Roman theme?

Boy there is alot of Playmobil coming in EuroBricks now :-P . But, that's nice that you got these pics from your childhood.

Ya, I shouldn't probably post any more Playmobil messages, as this is a Lego web-site. Other than this, my only other message was about how Playmobil re-releases past themes. I wish Lego did this.

It's funny, I was just reading on a Playmobil web site, information about Lego. They do the same thing to compare the companies and products.

In addition, people are going to start thinking I like Playmobil better than Lego. I suppose I'm just in Playmobil mode right now seeing some new sets that have come out in December and upcoming months.

PlayMobil made a Roman theme?

Available in Germany now. They won't hit the US until December '07 or '08. Germany is about a year ahead of the US in regard to new Playmobil themes/sets. I'm not sure about the rest of Europe.

Here's a shot of the new theme. I read the Colloseum is over three feet wide. It was mentioned on another thread relating to Playmobil (under History & Adventure I believe). Maybe Lego will copy.

romantheme.jpg

I'm curious as to know how well Lego fans like other toys such as Playmobil. Pirates are not my favorite Playmobil theme, but I really like Playmobil for the Western (my favorite) and Adventure.

I was a Lego space boy *sweet* and most of the castle sets and all pirate sets were released during

my dark ages, so this playmobil pirate ship was my favorite pirate toy. *y*

Although there was another beautiful toy manufacture company called "play BIG" which fulfilled my

childhood in the late seventies with marvelous castles and cowboys and vikings.

I found only a few pictures:

5640_klein.jpg6010_klein.jpg

5863_klein.jpg5880_klein.jpg5620_klein.jpg

Here is a link to more information.... :-D

That red pirate flag is terrible...bleh.

You mean the flag from this sloop?

schooner.gif

I guess that's not a pirate flag, but an Imperial flag...

I was a Lego space boy *sweet* and most of the castle sets and all pirate sets were released during

my dark ages, so this playmobil pirate ship was my favorite pirate toy. *y*

Although there was another beautiful toy manufacture company called "play BIG" which fulfilled my

childhood with marvelous castles and cowboys and vikings. I found only a few pictures:

5640_klein.jpg6010_klein.jpg

5863_klein.jpg5880_klein.jpg

Here is a link to more information.... :-D

That look's even worse then playmobil to me!(not that playmobil is that bad)...

No. I meant the picture in post #4. TheBrickster posted another picture of his ship but it had the red pirate flag. Otherwise known as the Jolly rogers flag, I think.

I'm curious as to know how well Lego fans like other toys such as Playmobil.

They definitely look charming however I don't think I'd ever purchase any. There's something about LEGO's construction ability that makes it so much more appealing, whereas Playmobil seems like something that I'd just set up and leave. Unless I were a child of course, then I'd probably play with it like any other toy.

They definitely look charming however I don't think I'd ever purchase any. There's something about LEGO's construction ability that makes it so much more appealing, whereas Playmobil seems like something that I'd just set up and leave. Unless I were a child of course, then I'd probably play with it like any other toy.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. There's something that I've always like about Playmobil in terms of the visual for me. Maybe the word is "charming". Not sure, but just looking at the magazine images above makes me want to go out and look for retired Playmobil pirate sets.

This looks like a beautiful thing indeed, a classic! It's wonderful of you to show us this Brickster. Thank you. I remember having some playmobile myself as a child!

Thanks. I appreciate your input. There's something that I've always like about Playmobil in terms of the visual for me. Maybe the word is "charming". Not sure, but just looking at the magazine images above makes me want to go out and look for retired Playmobil pirate sets.

I haven't looked but I assume eBay would be a good place to start...

Collectobil is a great source for Playmobil images.

This looks like a beautiful thing indeed, a classic! It's wonderful of you to show us this Brickster. Thank you. I remember having some playmobile myself as a child!

And thank you EW. Appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this thread.

Yes it must have been quite a feat for him since he was leaving and never coming back not so long ago X-D

Playmobil is really good too...that photos are really cool...i have that sets:

sunrise.gif->the ship, the island and othr figures who doesn't appear in the original sets(the ship and the island) but appears in other sets

schooner.gif-> i have the ship, the island is same as the other photo, and i have the imperial soldiers who are in teh ship(they don't appear in original set, they appear in a small set with 3 soldiers and an admiral)

I think in other times playmobil was worse than lego...playmobil had only a pirate ship, a im`perial ship a treause island and small pirate sets while lego had same as playmobil+imperial trading post eldorado fortress rock island refuge etc..

But now playmobil has improved a lot their figures, and is much better than lego...Playmobil Western theme is much better than lego western...playmobil indians are cooler than the lego indians...and a few years ago there were a lot of cool playmobil sets in pirates theme, but now the actual pirate ship of playmobil sucks

There are lot of playmobil pirate ships, some of them are cool...others sucks

It sound like you have a pretty good collection of Playmobil CR. How long have you been collecting? Do you still buy new sets?

Also, you commented that the Playmobil Western theme is better than Lego. Why do you think this?