So glad you bumped this thread with new pictures. It is my first time seeing it and the work here is really inspirational! Looks great, glad to see you have your workspace back and are able to get back into this project. Just gave you a follow on Instagram

Amazing work! What I even find more amazing is this...

"By drakmin, 

It's over ten years now since you started this project and the project is still alive :wub:

On 4/12/2023 at 3:20 PM, Jim said:

Amazing work! What I even find more amazing is this...

"By drakmin, July 15, 2012"

It's over ten years now since you started this project and the project is still alive :wub:

Haha thanks!
I think this shows more of my hobby time usage than anything :D I think my progress could have been packed into 6 months if I worked on this model every day. In reality I think I have worked on this maybe once every 2 weeks.
I have prioritized my work career and there the progress has been amazing! 

I still think I will be able to finish this X-Wing in my lifetime :)

18 hours ago, drakmin said:

I think this shows more of my hobby time usage than anything :D I think my progress could have been packed into 6 months if I worked on this model every day. In reality I think I have worked on this maybe once every 2 weeks.
I have prioritized my work career and there the progress has been amazing! 

At the end of day, that is more important. Great to hear that progress has been amazing :wub:

18 hours ago, drakmin said:

I still think I will be able to finish this X-Wing in my lifetime :)

No rush hehe. We will still be here for a while :laugh:

Some progress on rear wall greebling. This was nice to build with trial an error. Minifigure hands and rigid hose seem quite useful combination :)

XZ8iR0Z.jpeg

lB0FjsY.jpeg

I'm so glad that you don't give up and grace us with updates from time to time. This is a unique project and so is your dedication. I like a lot what you did with this rear end greebling. The most realistic LEGO X-wing is on its way, no doubt about that!

8 hours ago, dmaclego said:

I'm so glad that you don't give up and grace us with updates from time to time. This is a unique project and so is your dedication. I like a lot what you did with this rear end greebling. The most realistic LEGO X-wing is on its way, no doubt about that!

Could not agree more! Well spoken

Drakmin's back - that's all!

Great to see the progress. I remember this project and the title it gave you.
Glad to hear you plan to finish in your lifetime - I hope to be around when you get there.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:23 PM, KimT said:

Glad to hear you plan to finish in your lifetime - I hope to be around when you get there.

Okay I will try to increase speed! :D
Just finished first version of triangular surface beneath the cockpit window. Will do for now and if it sticks out later then it's time for iterations.
4AzCwv1.jpeg

I think next up is a better version of the canopy. I think I'll leave the front cone last it will be hard!

pKrNwVR.jpg
Very small tutorial of the triangular surfaces.

Edited by drakmin

Wow, that looks cool. I love your blend between System and Technic. Great progress!

Just thinking the nose cone will be the hardest part left for accuracy. This will be an epic build once completed and cant wait to see it finished. Really tempted to try building an A-Wing in technics now, your work is inspirational. 

2 hours ago, Jollygrnreefer said:

Just thinking the nose cone will be the hardest part left for accuracy. This will be an epic build once completed and cant wait to see it finished. Really tempted to try building an A-Wing in technics now, your work is inspirational. 

Yep, I tried the cone earlier and found it hard. This thread has few photos of it a few pages earlier.

A-Wing:
Yes! Go for it! Drop me a message if you start build thread I would like to follow it. Also I would like to also build an A-Wing. Now that I have some experience on larger Technic models I have analysed the A-Wing to be the perfect challenge. It has very good cockpit detail to fusealage size ratio! Also it has very "solid mass" so you won't be battling the gravity in the build. The challenge will only be the curved surfaces!

New version for front 1/3 of the upper side of the hull. This technique allows for later changes / updates for the "paint job" / squadron markings. This solution will be easy to texture.
W6qarOb.jpg

This is looking awesome, crazy that I remember seeing this thread when it started and you're still working on it!

Posted (edited)

Random progress.
Uiv15sB.jpg
Dash rough sketch V0

wZNDhDO.jpg
Dash V1

LItgpj0.jpg
Dash V1
Radar / weapon system screens are 3 tiles deep so I can place graphics in the mid depth

fl00X32.jpg
Random

e7iSAW9.jpg
New wing version to be tested. System seems more stable than earlier mostly Technic solution.

8OUKRQZ.jpg
Rough seat sketching! :D This will be interesting to solve!

Edited by drakmin

Great work there drakmin!

I fear the wings will have a hard to keep sturdiness over time since the model is huge and the wings will be very long and heavy.

Anyway, keep up this great work, amaze us!