Sign in to follow this  
LEGOman273

Heroica RPG - Expert Job Class Discussion

Don't forget about expert classes provided by QM's. On another note, I don't think the base classes should be obsolete even at the higher levels. Sure you lose a health bonus, but what Berserker doesn't wish they could go back to their Battle Fury, or Hunters their Triple Arrow, or Mystic Knight their Sentinel? Do we really need beefier versions of the base classes, just putting the thought out there. :def_shrug:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I wouldn't go back to cleric, but I think that Shaman suits Haldor fine for the forseeable future. :sweet:

Well, if you want to go back to basic classes, that's what the Mime is for.

Sort of, but you'll spend the majority of the time playing a basic class that wasn't your choice, or worse one that you aren't equipped for. I just read the description again, it appears that the player actually chooses the class that they want to play that turn, my mistake :blush:

Edited by Scorpiox

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I wouldn't go back to cleric, but I think that Shaman suits Haldor fine for the forseeable future. :sweet:

I feel the same way about Skrall at the moment, nothing has really jumped out at me as far as the expert or master classes (aside from Paragon, sod starting as a ranger :tongue: ), but I'm satisfied to keep on developing him as a Hunter.

Palatrhadic, permanently hastened would be way too powerful IMO, but ignoring SP is a possibility. I'll have to think about it some more, though, that is a very powerful trait, too, especially when taking the flying multiplies into account.

On another note JimB, if you could incorporate the flying aspect into the winged warrior's battle style that would be awesome. :wub_drool:

I have, see? :wink:

Now that you mention it, it is a bit plain. I've been thinking for a solution, something unique and something allows the player more options. What I was thinking was that instead of attacking, a Winged Warrior could choose to "fly". Flying would increase the strength of the next hit. A "Hit" roll for flying would be "Fly", which multiplies the next attack's strength by 2. A "Critical Hit" roll would be "Fly Higher" which multiplies the next attack's strength by 3. Take to the Skies would remain the same, and maybe the "Miss" roll could do something, too.

EDIT: And to answer your question, WBD< yes the next turn is taken by Lined-Up Shot. I think I meant to call it one or the other and didn't remove the other name.

And with some revisions, here is the new Winged Warrior class.

Changes:

- WWs can no longer use shields or handcannons, but can now use longswords and spears.

- Flying battle ability added.

Winged Warrior

Additional Health: +9

Weapons: Winged Warriors generally used ranged weapons such as bows, crossbows and throwing weapons, but can also use daggers, longswords, and spears.

Job Traits: Keen Eye: Allows the Winged Warrior to see far without a telescope. Natural Respite: see Barbarian. Flying - Winged Warrior can flap their wings to get to higher point, fly over obstacles, etc.

Battle Style: Aerial - Winged Warriors fight while in flight, and prefer swift, aerial assaults. They can soar higher to gain the upper hand in battle.

1. SHIELD: Take to the Skies - The Winged Warrior flaps its mighty wings, causing gusts of wind that stun all enemies for the current round, while making themselves invulnerable for the next round. In addition, wind-elemental damage equal to the Winged Warrior's level is dealt to all enemies.

2. CRITICAL HIT/FLY EVEN HIGHER - Deals damage equal to 2x WP added to level. Optionally, any attempt to fly will result in the next successful attack dealing 4x damage.

3. HIT/FLY HIGHER - Deals damage equal to WP added to level. Optionally, any attempt to fly will result in the next successful attack dealing 3x damage.

4. LINED-UP SHOT/FLY: The Winged Warrior takes a turn to line up an accurate shot on their opponent. The following turn they will deal 2x WP + Level, plus inflict the Fragile effect on the opponent. If their target is defeated before then, they will instead fire on the next available enemy. Optionally, any attempt to fly will result in the next successful attack dealing 2x damage.

5. DAMAGE/NO FLYING - Receives damage equal to the level of the enemy. Any attempt at flying fails.

6. SPECIAL DODGE/NO FLYING - Has a 50/50 chance of dodging the enemy's special so that it hits the next ally in the battle order, unless the special affects everyone. Any attempt at flying fails.

Agreed. Shaman suits Haldor splendidly. ...especially since he's so fond of blood-sucking vampires! :devil:

Frankly, for me, the classes are all about the name...for some reason. I just don't see Monk Pretzel really allowing himself to become a Witch, Shaman, or Druid. He wouldn't have the strength to be a Paladin, and Sage...well, I just don't see it. Prophet is right up his alley though. :drool:

You're right, permanently hastened is overpowered, but these are expert classes, they are supposed to be overpowered. :laugh:

Speaking of which, I would very much have liked to see Nur or Dyric get Combrys. :oh:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. :cry_sad:

Tinkerer - These inventors prefer making contributions to their community as opposed to combat.

* Additional Health: +10

* Weapons: Hammers, Maces, Handcannons, Throwing.

* Job Traits: Mechanical Expertise - Allows the tinkerer to repair or alter various machinery encountered. Grants the ability to use Schematics. Tamper - The tinkerer is encouraged versus mechanical enemies. Tune Up - 50/50 chance targeted mechanical enemy becomes enamored with the tinkerer.

* Battle Style: Inventive - Tinkerers build gadgetry to aid their party.

1. SHIELD:
Makeshift Turret
- The tinkerer hastily builds a turret that hits all enemies with strength equal to the tinkerer’s weapon power multiplied by two then added to her level before it falls apart (WP:9 x 2 + Lvl 30= 48 damage to all enemies). No parts retrieved.

2. SUNDER STRIKE/GREATER SCAVENGE: Hits target with strength equal to the tinkerer’s weapon power multiplied by two then added to her level (WPx2+LVL). The hit applies the
fragile
effect on the target for three rounds. Optionally, the tinkerer can spend a turn looking for and finding random parts in the amount equal to the tinkerer’s weapon power multiplied by two then added to level then divided by three rounded up (i.e. (WP:9 x 2 + LVL30 )/3 =16 random parts: 14 Du-Hinklies,1 Thinga-majigger, 1 k-NUT).

3. STRIKE/SCAVENGE: The tinkerer attacks the target with strength equal to her weapon power added to her level. Optionally, the tinkerer can spend a turn looking for and finding random parts in the amount equal to the tinkerer’s weapon power added to her level then divided by three rounded up (i.e. (WP:9 + LVL30)/3 =13 random parts: 2 Du-Hinklies, 11 k-NUTs).

4. FLASHBANG/ LESSER SCAVENGE: The tinkerer throws a bomb that blinds all targets for the next round. Optionally, the tinkerer can spend a turn looking for and finding random parts in the amount equal to the tinkerer’s weapon power divided by three rounded up (i.e. WP:9 /3 =3 random parts: 2 Du-Hinklies & 1 Thinga-majigger).

5. DAMAGE/NO SCAVENGE: The tinkerer is struck by her opponent’s damage. Optionally, the tinkerer finds no spare parts.

6. SPECIAL DAMAGE/NO SCAVENGE: The tinkerer is struck by her opponent’s special skill. Optionally, the tinkerer finds no spare parts.

Tinkerers, make use of schematics and parts. Schematics can drop randomly from quests and all future mechanical enemies could drop some kind of part.

Sample Parts:

k-NUTs,

Arcspanners,

Bolts,

Du-Hinklies

Thinga-majiggers,

Etc.

64453pb06.jpg

A schematic will tell what parts are needed to create an item.

Sample Schematics:
  • Schematic: Lesser Tonic Dispenser
    REQUIRES: 10 k-NUTs, 1 bolt, etc.
    Builds a Lesser Tonic Dispenser (
    Suitable for Tinkerers only
    ). This construct dispenses 1 tonic/round to the person at the bottom of the order of actions for three rounds. Falls apart at the end of battle. Drops 5 k-NUTs.

• Schematic: Dreadnaught
    REQUIRES: Level 50, 2000 Thinga-majiggers, 15 bolts, 35 nuts etc
    . Creates a permanent combat pet (
    Suitable for Tinkerers only
    ). Level 40, Health:100, Defense:30. SHIELD: Hit all enemies for 40 damage. CRIT: 80 damage on target.

• Schematic: Jeeves
    REQUIRES: 1000 k-NUTs, Level 50, etc
    . Creates Jeeves. Jeeves is a permanent construct that allows a Party to sell non-artifacts to Jeeves at normal marketplace prices during quests. Tinkerer does not receive any gold from these transactions.

• Schematic: Scope
    REQUIRES: 3 Du-Hinklies, 30 k-NUTs, etc
    . Creates a scope that upon use can be permanently attached to a bow, xbow or handcannon. Scope adds a permanent +5 damage to attacks.

• Schematic: Static Shield Spike.
    REQUIRES: 60 bolts, k-NUTs, Du-Hinkli, etc
    . Creates a shield spike that can be permanently added to a shield. Upon receiving a free hit, the shield spike emits lightning damage to all enemies in an amount equal to the shield’s SP. Ability does not stack with Counter-strike Gloves or Gloves of Counter-striking.

• Schematic: Counterweight
    REQUIRES: 150 bolts, 35 k-NUTs etc
    . Creates a counterweight. Counterweight attaches permanently to a melee weapon providing hastened effect to physical attacks on odd rounds only. Can not be applied to gemmed weapons.

• Schematic: Wind Generator
    REQUIRES: 70 Du-Hinklies, 2 Bolts, etc
    . Creates a tiny wind blowing construct that makes Party’s attacks do wind damage (
    Suitable for Tinkerer’s only
    ). Falls apart after one battle. Drops 10 Du-Hinklies.

• Schematic: Collapsible Telescope
    REQUIRES: 15 Bolts, etc
    . Creates a Telescope that falls apart (consumed) after one use.

• ETC

Botanist - These animists get stronger as the battle progresses.

* Additional Health: +10

* Weapons: Staves.

* Job Traits: Plant Affinity - Sometimes the trees can point you in the right direction (magic compass). Symbiosis - Botanists can not attack physically and must rely on their plant familiar. Botanist experiences damage pet receives. Path Finding - The Botanist moves faster through brush. He receives half damage and the hastened effect when traveling through forests and jungles.

* Battle Style: Momentum - Botanists’ pets grow stronger the more time they’re allowed to take root.

1. SHIELD:
Spore Explosion
- The botanist commands his pet to unleash toxic spores. All enemies suffer damage in an amount equal to the strength of the botanist’s weapon power added to level then multiplied by the round number. The effect continues to damage enemies for three rounds (i.e. ((WP:20 + Lvl 30) x Round 3 = 150 damage), ((WP:20 + Lvl 30) x Round 4 = 200 damage), ((WP:20 + Lvl 30) x Round 5 = 250 damage)). Multiple SHIELD rolls refresh the three round timer and do not stack.

2. SAP ATTACK: The botanist commands his pet to grasp onto an enemy dealing damage with strength in an amount equal to the botanist’s weapon power multiplied by the round number then added to level. The poisonous sap of the attack also causes the
weakened
effect (WP:20 x round 4 + Lvl 30 = 110 damage + weakened effect).

3. ATTACK: The botanist commands his pet to attack the target with strength equal to his weapon power added to his level (e.g. WP 20 + level 30 = 50 damage).

4. DELAYED SPROUT BOMB: The botanist instructs his pet to emit a sproutling. The sproutling travels to the target and explodes at the beginning of the next round dealing damage to target with strength equal to the botanist’s level.

5. DAMAGE: The botanist is struck by his target’s damage.

6. SPECIAL DAMAGE: The botanist is struck by his opponent’s special skill.

I'll comment on all these new class ptoposals when I have time, but at a quick glance there's some intriguing stuff in there. :wink:

I just read the description again, it appears that the player actually chooses the class that they want to play that turn, my mistake :blush:

Exactly. As a mime, you can keep on playing as your original basic class, but you can easily switch when the need rises, and you can use any weapon or artifact you want. It's designed as the most versatile and flexible class of them all. Paragon and prophet are more powerful, but also more restricted.

Exactly. As a mime, you can keep on playing as your original basic class, but you can easily switch when the need rises, and you can use any weapon or artifact you want. It's designed as the most versatile and flexible class of them all. Paragon and prophet are more powerful, but also more restricted.

I originally misread, I thought that the class was chosen by dice roll. But now that I understand, Mime is looking really nice. The ability to switch between support classes like Cleric if your team is getting battared, and offensive ones like Barbairian for the extra damage. And Rogue, if you feel like getting some more gold! That's an awesome class to play. :sweet:

Spellblade

These knights rely on elemental powers to give their attacks more strength.

Weapons: Spellblades use versatile weapons like longswords, greatswords, axes, maces, and spears. They also wield shields and gems.

Additional Health: +10

Additional Ether: +5

Job Traits: Spellcasting: (See Mage), Enchantment: The Spellblade may imbue their weapons/shields with elements for the duration of the next battle at the cost of 5 ether per imbuing.

Battle Style: Enchanting - Spellblades use their enemy's elemental strengths and weaknesses against them.

1. SHIELD: Elemental Embodiment - The Spellblade takes their (random, if the Spellblade wasn't casting a spell or imbuing) element to heart. For the duration of the battle, all attacks with this element, both by the Spellblade and allies, deal x4 damage to opponents weak to it. Any enemy attacks of this element against an ally or the Spellblade that are immune to the element have the damage reflected back at them.

2. CRITICAL HIT/GREAT SPELL/GREAT IMBUING: The Spellblade attacks the target with strength equal to twice their weapon power added to their level, or with an elemental spell with the same power at the cost of 1 ether. Optionally, they may choose to imbue their shield or their weapon with up to 2 elements for the duration of the battle, at the cost of 5 ether. Imbued weapons deal elemental damage in relation to their imbued elements. Imbued shields nullify any damage whose element is imbued in the shield. (WP: 15 x 2 + level 30 = 60 (elemental) damage)

3. HIT/SPELL/IMBUING: The Spellblade attacks the target with strength equal to their weapon power added to their level, or with an elemental spell with the same power at the cost of 1 ether. Optionally, they may choose to imbue their shield or their weapon with an element for the duration of the battle, at the cost of 5 ether. Imbued weapons deal elemental damage in relation to their imbued elements. Imbued shields nullify any damage whose element is imbued in the shield. (WP: 15 + level 30 = 45 (elemental) damage)

4: ELEMENTAL AURA: The Spellblade conjures a lingering aura of (random, if the Spellblade wasn't casting a spell or imbuing) elemental defense on a random ally at the cost of 3 ether. The ally is immune to attacks of that element for the next 3 rounds.

5. DEFENDED DAMAGE: The Spellblade is hit with the enemy's attack. A shield reduces damage taken. If the enemy's attack is elemental, and the element is imbued in the knight's shield, nothing happens. (Level 20 enemy - SP: 10 = damage taken)

6. SPECIAL DAMAGE: The Spellblade is hit with the enemy's skill. If the enemy's attack deals any raw elemental damage, and the element is imbued in the knight's shield, the damage is nullified, but all other effects are not prevented as a result.

Too overpowered, too similar to Mystic Knight or too complicated? I tried to keep it balanced by making the imbuings cost more ether. Even if it never happens, making up classes is fun. :blush:

Edited by CallMePie

Spellblade

These knights rely on elemental powers to give their attacks more strength.

Weapons: Spellblades use versatile weapons like longswords, greatswords, axes, maces, and spears. They also wield shields and gems.

Job Traits: Spellcasting: (See Mage), Enchantment: The Spellblade may imbue their weapons/shields with elements for the duration of the next battle at the cost of 5 ether per imbuing.

Battle Style: Enchanting - Spellblades use their enemy's elemental strengths and weaknesses against them.

1. SHIELD: Elemental Embodiment - The Spellblade takes their (random, if the Spellblade wasn't casting a spell or imbuing) element to heart. For the duration of the battle, all attacks with this element, both by the Spellblade and allies, deal x4 damage to opponents weak to it. Any enemy attacks of this element against an ally or the Spellblade that are immune to the element have the damage reflected back at them.

2. CRITICAL HIT/GREAT SPELL/IMBUING: The Spellblade attacks the target with strength equal to twice their weapon power added to their level, or with an elemental spell with the same power at the cost of 1 ether. Optionally, they may choose to imbue their shield or their weapon with up to 2 elements for the duration of the battle, at the cost of 5 ether. Imbued weapons deal elemental damage in relation to their imbued elements. Imbued shields nullify any damage whose element is imbued in the shield. (WP: 15 x 2 + level 30 = 60 (elemental) damage)

3. HIT/SPELL/IMBUING: The Spellblade attacks the target with strength equal to their weapon power added to their level, or with an elemental spell with the same power at the cost of 1 ether. Optionally, they may choose to imbue their shield or their weapon with an element for the duration of the battle, at the cost of 5 ether. Imbued weapons deal elemental damage in relation to their imbued elements. Imbued shields nullify any damage whose element is imbued in the shield. (WP: 15 + level 30 = 45 (elemental) damage)

4: ELEMENTAL AURA: The Spellblade conjures a lingering aura of (random, if the Spellblade wasn't casting a spell or imbuing) elemental defense on a random ally at the cost of 3 ether. The ally is immune to attacks of that element for the next 3 rounds.

5. DEFENDED DAMAGE: The Spellblade is hit with the enemy's attack. A shield reduces damage taken. If the enemy's attack is elemental, and the element is imbued in the knight's shield, nothing happens. (Level 20 enemy - SP: 10 = damage taken)

6. SPECIAL DAMAGE: The Spellblade is hit with the enemy's skill. If the enemy's attack deals any raw elemental damage, and the element is imbued in the knight's shield, the damage is nullified, but all other effects are not prevented as a result.

Too overpowered, too similar to Mystic Knight or too complicated? I tried to keep it balanced by making the imbuings cost more ether. Even if it never happens, making up classes is fun. :blush:

While I like the concept there's a few snags, at first glance it seems like a more offensive version of the artificer class I introduced a few pages back but I'm glad to see the imbuing concept resurface. My only question is why bother imbuing your weapon when you can attack from the back row with spells at full strength? While it helps to conserve ether, if one is an advanced class, your going to have plenty of it anyways, and since it takes 3 ether to imbue something that's three spells you could have shot off in the mean time. I found with the Artificer the only way to avoid this and make them focused on imbuing is to get rid of spell casting, which by the way you need another job trait as you currently only have 2. :wink: All in all, the defensive aspect is good, but there's really no reason to offensively use the imbuing.

Edited by Waterbrick Down

While I like the concept there's a few snags, at first glance it seems like a more offensive version of the artificer class I introduced a few pages back but I'm glad to see the imbuing concept resurface. My only question is why bother imbuing your weapon when you can attack from the back row with spells at full strength? While it helps to conserve ether, if one is an advanced class, your going to have plenty of it anyways, and since it takes 3 ether to imbue something that's three spells you could have shot off in the mean time. I found with the Artificer the only way to avoid this and make them focused on imbuing is to get rid of spell casting, which by the way you need another job trait as you currently only have 2. :wink: All in all, the defensive aspect is good, but there's really no reason to offensively use the imbuing.

Shoot, I knew I saw that idea somewhere else. Sorry. :blush:

Primarily it's to ease the issue of weapon special effects and mages, and yes, to save ether - though it might just be my own personal views on the subject. If Atramor goes Necromancer, I don't plan to use spells, period, simply because the undead burn up so much ether and there's interesting weapons I have at my disposal. Still, it's nice to have the option anyway.

Not to mention that Imbuing twice, or just getting a Greater Imbuing, you can imbue a weapon with multiple elements, which can be extremely beneficial. The raw damage could really pile up - at the cost of massive amounts of ether, and by extension, spell access. It's called Spellblade simply because it's focusing on the balance between spell usage and weapons. Hell, even if you planned to use just spells, you could still pick up a 50 coin shield and imbue it a bit to keep yourself alive.

And I think Job Traits have a maximum of 3, not a requirement. I was going to add in Diplomacy, but again, I'm afraid I'm just making a more powerful Mystic Knight, and it's just one more similarity. This class is so far out from the regular Knight class - waving a shield around doesn't mean you're good at talking. :laugh: Plus, this class is also a bit more offense-based. If you have an idea for it, shoot. :thumbup:

Edited by CallMePie

Tinkerers, make use of schematics and parts. Schematics can drop randomly from quests and all future mechanical enemies could drop some kind of part.

Sample Parts:

k-NUTs,

Arcspanners,

Bolts,

Du-Hinklies

Thinga-majiggers,

Etc.

I'm not sure how much I'd like this class, but I'd have to choose it. :wub::tongue:

Shoot, I knew I saw that idea somewhere else. Sorry. :blush:

Primarily it's to ease the issue of weapon special effects and mages, and yes, to save ether - though it might just be my own personal views on the subject. If Atramor goes Necromancer, I don't plan to use spells, period, simply because the undead burn up so much ether and there's interesting weapons I have at my disposal. Still, it's nice to have the option anyway.

Not to mention that Imbuing twice, or just getting a Greater Imbuing, you can imbue a weapon with multiple elements, which can be extremely beneficial. The raw damage could really pile up - at the cost of massive amounts of ether, and by extension, spell access. It's called Spellblade simply because it's focusing on the balance between spell usage and weapons. Hell, even if you planned to use just spells, you could still pick up a 50 coin shield and imbue it a bit to keep yourself alive.

And I think Job Traits have a maximum of 3, not a requirement. I was going to add in Diplomacy, but again, I'm afraid I'm just making a more powerful Mystic Knight, and it's just one more similarity. This class is so far out from the regular Knight class - waving a shield around doesn't mean you're good at talking. :laugh: Plus, this class is also a bit more offense-based. If you have an idea for it, shoot. :thumbup:

I really don't mind someone building on the Artificer, this is just a more offensive take on the support role. Perhaps having a shield is too much for the Spellblade? You could have the PC themselves imbued with the resistive element and that would bring some more distinction/balance to the class. I can see your point between having to choose whether to cast a spell or imbue, I think it's an ability that would be utilized more pre-battle rather than right in the middle of a fight. I still think more people would be prone to just use a spell rather than imbuing even if you have the chance to do 2x as much damage in the long run, partially because you're also more prone to take more damage in the front row.

Anyways, on to another class idea, this one inspired by Jeb's Zealot class:

7941388038_7d9f3ccb3c.jpg

Slayer

Health Bonus: +12

Weapons: Long Swords, Axes, Scythes, Halberds, Daggers

Job traits:

Efficient – Slayers are killing machines and are thus able to exploit weaknesses in their enemies’ defenses thus ignoring enemy SP.

Unencumbered – Slayers never wear armor as they are solely focused on taking down as many enemies as quickly as possible, thus they are hastened if placed first in the battle order, yet cannot benefit from SP bonuses.

Intimidation (see Berserker)

Battle style: Callous – Slayers take no compassion on their enemies, rejoicing instead of cowering when the odds are against them as it only means the body count will be higher.

1. SHIELD: Ruthless Rampage: - The Slayer attacks all enemies with strength equal to their weapon power added to their level multiplied by the number of enemies in the battle in addition to weakening all of them for the next round.

2. GREATER MERCILESS HIT: The Slayer attacks the target with strength equal to two times their weapon power multiplied by the number of enemies in the battle added to their level.

3. MERCILESS HIT: The Slayer attacks the target with strength equal to their weapon power multiplied by the number of enemies in the battle added to their level.

4. MERCILESS AIM: The Slayer attacks the target with strength equal to their weapon power multiplied by the number of enemies in the battle.

5. DAMAGE: The Slayer is struck by the opponent's attack.

6. SPECIAL DAMAGE: The Slayer is struck by the opponent’s special attack.

Flavor Text: Slayers are heavily practiced in the art of ending life. They are skilled in many forms of close combat, but prefer slicing and cutting their enemies to ribbons over bludgeoning them. Most Slayers have made a name for themselves as clearers of dungeons, or caverns, or the odd haunted castle or two

Edited by Waterbrick Down

I believe I have found the preferred Expert Class of my second character. (*Is tempted to rename said character "Buffy" to match, but knows that would mess up too many other references* :tongue: )

Edited by Flipz

Hmm...I like your suggestion. Alright, I can remove the shield. Even if people would utilize spells more than the imbuing, that's their own playing style.

I love the idea of Slayer. The rolls are a bit plain, but considering how much raw damage they could be dishing out, it makes sense. I think they might a bit overpowered, though. What happens when an enemy comes out with, say, 5 minions? WP: 15 x 6 is a whopping 90 damage, for a miss, ignoring SP. :look: I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. :laugh:

I suggest you limit the Merciless thing, using what you have described as a Merciless Hit to a roll of 2, and just use a normal hit for a roll of 3. Alternatively, maybe you switch out the number of enemies in battle to the number of enemies the Slayer has killed for the duration of the quest. The bonus would balance out a lot better, and would put the focus on killing as many enemies as possible, as you define Slayer. :thumbup:

Also, I think Coup de grace (from Swashbuckler), if edited a bit, would actually suit Slayer quite well. For example, the Slayer gains the Encouraged effect after finishing an enemy for the duration of the battle. Oddly, I think if you switched it out for Unencumbered, and moved that trait to Swashbuckler, the traits would fit both classes even better.

I believe I have found the preferred Expert Class of my second character. (*Is tempted to rename said character "Buffy" to match, but knows that would mess up too many other references* :tongue: )

I could picture Atramor going this class as well, but I think Guts would probably be the most fitting person for it.

Edited by CallMePie

First impression, WBD, I like it but it seems too strong. Can you imagine that class with nostrums & smelling salts? Everything dies! And if it didn't die on round two (assuming you take round one to buff up), then it will die on round three, especially if you pull a shield roll somewhere in there. I know that's the point, but seriously, everything dies. Granted, it is a front-loaded class and will steadily lose power as the battle draws to a close, but it has the potential to melt hoards of enemies on those first few turns before it can really lose its power.

I think the biggest issue is the multiplier. It's good, but needs tweaking. If there was a slayer in the current fight of Jeb's quest, they'd have started with an x10 multiplier. Having lots of enemies forces parties to make decisions, figure out how to divide the free hits, who to let deal those free hits, etc. It's a solid way of making the party think. Except if you have a slayer, then the QM is just inviting the slayer to 1-shot one of the enemies (if not a few at once). Maybe make the multiplier X/2 or X/4, with a minimum of x1 and using fractions (so 5 enemies would result in x2.5 or x1.25, depending on fraction choice)?

Hmm...I like your suggestion. Alright, I can remove the shield. Even if people would utilize spells more than the imbuing, that's their own playing style.

I love the idea of Slayer. The rolls are a bit plain, but considering how much raw damage they could be dishing out, it makes sense. I think they might a bit overpowered, though. What happens when an enemy comes out with, say, 5 minions? WP: 15 x 6 is a whopping 90 damage, for a miss, ignoring SP. :look: I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. :laugh:

I suggest you limit the Merciless thing, using what you have described as a Merciless Hit to a roll of 2, and just use a normal hit for a roll of 3. Alternatively, maybe you switch out the number of enemies in battle to the number of enemies the Slayer has killed for the duration of the quest. The bonus would balance out a lot better, and would put the focus on killing as many enemies as possible, as you define Slayer. :thumbup:

Also, I think Coup de grace (from Swashbuckler), if edited a bit, would actually suit Slayer quite well. For example, the Slayer gains the Encouraged effect after finishing an enemy for the duration of the battle. Oddly, I think if you switched it out for Unencumbered, and moved that trait to Swashbuckler, the traits would fit both classes even better.

Yeh, I'll see if I can work those changes in, I agree that it originally seemed a little plain, but the point was to create a class that excelled early on in the battle, especially against legions of minions, giving up longevity for sheer power. Now that we've seen more of the advanced classes in action as well as the defined expert and master classes, I'm going to do a revamp of some of my earlier proposals to bring them up to speed and balance.

I could picture Atramor going this class as well, but I think Guts would probably be the most fitting person for it.

I can see it now, there will be a rule for the class where you have to include the word "Slayer" in your name... Atramor Rat Slayer :laugh:

First impression, WBD, I like it but it seems too strong. Can you imagine that class with nostrums & smelling salts? Everything dies! And if it didn't die on round two (assuming you take round one to buff up), then it will die on round three, especially if you pull a shield roll somewhere in there. I know that's the point, but seriously, everything dies. Granted, it is a front-loaded class and will steadily lose power as the battle draws to a close, but it has the potential to melt hoards of enemies on those first few turns before it can really lose its power.

I think the biggest issue is the multiplier. It's good, but needs tweaking. If there was a slayer in the current fight of Jeb's quest, they'd have started with an x10 multiplier. Having lots of enemies forces parties to make decisions, figure out how to divide the free hits, who to let deal those free hits, etc. It's a solid way of making the party think. Except if you have a slayer, then the QM is just inviting the slayer to 1-shot one of the enemies (if not a few at once). Maybe make the multiplier X/2 or X/4, with a minimum of x1 and using fractions (so 5 enemies would result in x2.5 or x1.25, depending on fraction choice)?

Agreed I'll look at the numbers more.

I can see it now, there will be a rule for the class where you have to include the word "Slayer" in your name... Atramor Rat Slayer :laugh:

You should also add that the Slayer's avatar must have at least one skull in it. The example picture you have is very fitting. It spells overkill. :tongue:

You should also add that the Slayer's avatar must have at least one skull in it. The example picture you have is very fitting. It spells overkill. :tongue:

*Thinks of plans for second character*

I THOROUGHLY second this. :grin::devil:

Sorry if this is off topic but I like the look of the Swashbuckler class.

Edited by Skyrimguy

Cool classes, guys. I could maybe see Hybros as a Slayer, although it would have to fit in with his roleplaying. :thumbup:

CMP, I agree that the combination of imbuing with spellcasting seems a little strange, but like you said it's up to the player to determine what they want to do. I don't know, I personally would just use spellcasting and stay in the back row for less ether. And I can't really see any reason to not do that. Then it's just a sort of buffed up Mage class. I do like the Shield skill, however. Also, I would change the name of the class, too. Having the same name as the Battle Mage Shield skill could be confusing. :tongue:

WBD, I do like the Slayer class. I disagree about what others have said about the multipliers being too powerful, however. Their strength largely depends on the number of enemies. They're very weak against a single enemy (only 1x power on hits), so that's important to take into consideration. I guess the addition of their level is a little overboard, though, so maybe make it:

Critical Hit: WPx2+number of enemies

Hit: WP+number of enemies

Miss: a different skill

Just my suggestions. :sweet:

WBD, I do like the Slayer class. I disagree about what others have said about the multipliers being too powerful, however. Their strength largely depends on the number of enemies. They're very weak against a single enemy (only 1x power on hits), so that's important to take into consideration. I guess the addition of their level is a little overboard, though, so maybe make it:

Critical Hit: WPx2+number of enemies

Hit: WP+number of enemies

Miss: a different skill

Just my suggestions. :sweet:

:look: That would be awful...there'd have to be at least 30 enemies so it'd be as powerful as a normal hit or critical hit. :rofl:

:look: That would be awful...there'd have to be at least 30 enemies so it'd be as powerful as a normal hit or critical hit. :rofl:

Oops, I meant multiplied by the number of enemies, not added to. :blush:

Oops, I meant multiplied by the number of enemies, not added to. :blush:

Right, but then the damage potential never increases with the Slayer's level, they'd be stuck purchasing increasingly expensive weapon upgrades.

Okay, I've edited Spellblade.

Spellsword

These warriors rely on elemental powers to give their attacks more strength.

Weapons: Spellsword use versatile weapons like longswords, greatswords, axes, maces, and spears. They also wield gems.

Job Traits: Natural Respite: (See Barbarbian), Enchantment: The Spellsword may imbue their weapons with elements for the duration of the next battle at the cost of 5 ether per imbuing outside of battle.

Battle Style: Enchanting - Spellsword use their enemy's elemental strengths and weaknesses against them.

1. SHIELD: Elemental Embodiment - The Spellsword takes their (random, if one wasn't selected) element to heart. For the duration of the battle, all attacks with this element, both by the Spellsword and allies, deal x4 damage to opponents weak to it. Any enemy attacks of this element against an ally or the Spellsword that have an aura of the element have the damage reflected back at the opponent.

2. CRITICAL HIT/GREAT IMBUING/GREATER ELEMENTAL AURA: The Spellsword attacks the target with strength equal to twice their weapon power added to their level. Optionally, they may choose to imbue their weapon with up to 2 elements for the duration of the battle, at the cost of 5 ether. They may also conjure an elemental aura of up to 2 elements around themselves or an ally for the cost of 5 ether. Imbued weapons deal elemental damage in relation to their imbued elements. Elemental auras nullify any damage from the element taken. (WP: 15 x 2 + level 30 = 60 damage)

2. HIT/IMBUING/ELEMENTAL AURA: The Spellsword attacks the target with strength equal to their weapon power added to their level. Optionally, they may choose to imbue their weapon with an element for the duration of the battle, at the cost of 5 ether. They may also conjure an elemental aura of an element around themselves or an ally for the cost of 5 ether. Imbued weapons deal elemental damage in relation to their imbued elements. Elemental auras nullify any damage from the element taken. (WP: 15 + level 30 = 45 damage)

4: INFLUESSENCE: The Spellsword binds their (random, if one wasn't selected) element to a (random, if one wasn't selected) opponent at the cost of 5 ether. For the duration of the battle, the opponent deals damage of that element. Overwrites any previous elemental damage the opponent may have been inflicting, can be overwritten if another Influessence is rolled.

5. DAMAGE: The Spellsword is hit with the enemy's attack. If the enemy's attack is elemental, and the Spellsword has an aura of the same element, nothing happens.

6. SPECIAL DAMAGE: The Spellsword is hit with the enemy's skill. If the enemy's attack deals any raw elemental damage, and the element is imbued in the knight's shield, the damage is nullified, but all other effects are not prevented as a result.

Renamed class to Spellsword, removed Spellcasting, removed the ability to use shields, but replaced imbuing them with Elemental Auras, which can now be cast on allies as well. Changed roll of 4 to Influessence.

The class is now unable to cast spells or use shields, but in exchange they can also protect their allies and bind elements to their opponents. Thoughts? :classic:

Edited by CallMePie

Hey now, I acknowledged that it was a

front-loaded class and will steadily lose power as the battle draws to a close,

but that doesn't change the fact that with the multiplier as it was presented, a QM is forced to either make fights include as few enemies as possible, give all enemies ridiculously large amounts of health, or pray that the Slayer doesn't have very good rolls for the first few turns, if they want to prevent the fight from being over before it began. Minimizing enemies in an encounter reduces the tactics factor, as there's much fewer free hits or diverse enemies to go around. Large health pools would basically be balancing around the slayer, which leaves other classes in the party to pale in comparison, just so that the Slayer can't one- or two-shot everything. And praying for QM-favorable dice rolls... well, good luck :tongue:

Assuming a party of 3 to 5 players (pretty standard, I think), it's pretty reasonable to guess that fights will include at least 3 enemies. With just 3 enemies, a miss would result in a 3xWP hit. For a miss. That's not too shabby when you consider that WP10+ weapons aren't terribly uncommon at this point in time. And that's just with an even fight. If you look at the Unlimited Quest, the first fight had 6 enemies for 3 players.

@WBD, What if, instead of being a frontloaded class, it was a class that gained momentum with each enemy killed, and could be an absolute powerhouse by the end of the fight? I think the flat multiplier there would work just fine, except it would be increased for every enemy that has fallen so far in battle. It would give the Slayer a very niche role, specializing in fights with lots of enemies (even moreso if there is one big bad boss with a bunch of minions, who would be a prime target for a Slayer who has built up its multiplier from all those minions). I know it's the opposite of the original design, but I think that'd be the best, simplest way to keep the multiplier in place (I really do like the idea of it), without trivializing fights against larger groups of enemies. I might also change the shield to a cleave (target + one above + one below) because Fragile really is such a strong debuff. Or maybe have the shield apply Fragile to all enemies for the current round and the one following, while also just dealing WP+Level to each (which would effectively be 2x(WP+Level), due to fragile being applied in that round).

@CMP, I might reduce the cost of imbuing a weapon outside of battle (maybe to 2 or 3), since in most cases, you can't be quite sure of what you'll be up against, though you may have a decent idea. It seems like there will have to be lots of situational calls being made mid-battle (I want to imbue Darkness or Darkness/Wind). Where/how do they select an element for rolls of 1 and 4? Do they have to have the appropriate gem?