Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

But I will tell you that, from what I understand, while George Lucus controls pretty much everything Star Wars and can do whatever he wants, the Tolkien estate retains control over the book material. Yes, they licensed it to Newline for the purposes of making a movie, and they were granted the rights to license other property based on the movies. The Tolkien estate is actually downright nasty when it comes to copyrights, trademarks, and any IP they can sue you for. I don't doubt they'd be on WB like stink on a pig if WB permitted a licensee to make something out of the books that wasn't in the movies, or if anyone made anything "new" that didn't resemble how it was done in the movie.

Hmmm? Given how many variants recurs and extended versions there are of the Peter Jackson film's you have to wonder what exactly the lawyers consider to be "the movie"? Do scenes shot but not in the theatrical release count? Etc?

Sorry if I repeat any ideas but these are my suggestions:

Bilbo's Hobbit Hole 50.00

Includes Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf.

Gandalf vs Balrog 20.00

includes Gandalf, Boromir plus brick-built Balrog.

Kidnap! 20.00

3 oliphant riders, Faramir, Frodo, Sam

The Ents :devil:

Battle of Isengard/ (6 Minifigures)

Uruk-hai, Orc chieftain, Orc (Warg rider), Orc, Merry and Pipin

Reservoir Dam with collapse function; per the explosion are small blue transparent bricks (water) flying across the batterfield,

wooden pipeline, rocks, wooden handrail support, updraft kiln, Isengard wall ruin, Saruman's larder & Gate of Isengard

Quickbeam, Beechbone the burning Ent

CREATOR Ent Battle Pack/ (2 Minifigures)

Orc, Orc (Warg rider)

Isengard wall ruin, catapult

3x in 1 CREATOR Ent

Skirmish in Fangorn/ (7 Minifigures)

Marry and Pippin (hurt), Grishnákh, Uglúk, Uruk-hai, Gamling and Háma (Rohirrim)

Treebeard, 2 x Fangorn Trees, broken branches and campfire

LIMITED EXCLUSIVE EDITION: Entmoot/ (0 Minifigures)

Leaflock, Skinbark, and Treebeard's long-lost wife Fimbrethil

Entthing Stone, Glade and 2 x Fangorn trees

My most wanted would be the previously suggested:

- Eowyn, Witch-King, Merry and Fellbeast

- Gandalf and balrog

- Rohan battlepack

- Uruk-hai battlepack

- Elf battlepack

- One could even combine the three aforementioned packs as a large Helm's Deep battle pack (1 elf, 2 rohan soldier, 5 uruks).

Edited for formatting.

Edited by Lynx

Wake up! :sweet:

The time for the Elves has come: :thumbup:

The first wave is absolute ok. LEGO comes slowly into Tolkiens fascinatingly world. From my point of view are the first special pieces made very well and some accessories are looking very promising. I think it was clever to start with simple ruins, rocks, caves and the Hornburg. So has Lego gotten more time to create the upscale buildings from the elves. And we do know how amazing these are.

Lothlorien

LEGO's target is to create these buildings in resizable LEGO sets. Therefore need LEGO unfortunately more new molded bricks. Best example is Lothlorien. How can LEGO create an smaller Elven Treehouse without new created bricks for the stairs? LotR is for LEGO very expensive. I think an high investment, but also good very promising. Who would not like to have LEGO sets based of Lothlorien?

Rivendell

LEGO can not create Rivendell without new elements. For example new molded windows, roofs, railings. These details need an elven ornate style. Just imagine. An LEGO Rivendell including just these three extra molded elven elements. :wub:

Rivendell.jpg

Thanduril's Halls

About Thanduril's Halls I have no idea. I have no imagination how Peter Jackson creates that place. For LEGO propably a lucky situation, because that place below the ground is. Maybe are here to mold just some new railings? I think, for LEGO would it be the easier way to start with that place.

The Elven Armies

I think at the War of the last Alliance is the color of the elven armors more golden like the armors by the Lothlorien elves at Helm's Deep. And the armors by the Lothlorien elves are more bronze. I'm curious regarding the Mirkwood elves. As I watched the first trailer from the Hobbit, there I saw elves in silver armor. I think, that they are Mirkwood elves. But completely sure I am not. :look:

Additional I would like to see some elven banners. Like the banner in

video. What do you think? I think that these kind of accessoires would make us more crazy for the sets. LEGO could put a banner into the (hopefully upcomming 'Elven Battle Pack') pack. :wub:

Damn, the potential of this theme is huge. Very huge. Maybe too huge. But who I telling that? You know it also. :hmpf::laugh:

Edited by Elander

There are some nice ideas around here.

I'm not sure what kind of battlepacks TLG would actually do, but I'm not sure if they would do some for just one side.

Also, for those who might be interested, I still have a large list of ideas all the way on the top of page 2.

Hopefully someone from TLG shows up here to take some ideas..

~ General Magma

I don't know if this was mentioned before, and it probably fits more as a "The Hobbit" set, but I'd be incredibly happy to see the following:

Rhosgobel

The building(s) as they'll be seen in the upcoming movie and appropriate play features

Minifigures:

Radagast, the Brown

Gwaihir, Lord of the Eagles (a new hold, moveable head and wings, position for a minifigure to ride on the eagle just like LEGO horses)

Other figures as will be present in the movie

Animals: anything fitting, maybe a bear (Beorn), wolf, hare and whatever shown in the movie

I'm intrigued by this character (Radagast) and think the set would show a lot of green to provide a nice contrast to the predominantly grey LotR sets we've seen so far.

Mount Doom

Features: 2 sections of lava with ledge above.

Minifigures: Gollum, corrupted Frodo, Sam and exclusive Sauron!

Encounter at Isengard

Features: Palantir, Flick fire 'spell'

Minifigures: Saruman, Gandalf

UCS Rivendell

Features: Veranda, shards of Narsil room plus Fellowship conferencence room

Minifigures: Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gandalf, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn Elrond, Bilbo

I believe that a Minas Tirith set is very much within LEGO's grasp to build. But I almost hope they don't make one, because I am already. :tongue:

Edited by Nuju Metru

Although I do understand that Lego will be following the films. Maybe they could just use the bits of the films that match the books?

There are hundreds if not thousands of possible scenes and battle packs that could be made. :thumbup:

With the recent release of the Kingdoms Chess Set, I got thinking about how epic a LOTR chess set would be. Now, we have never seen a chess set based on a licensed theme before (yet the SW license only allows for sets with an actual building component, not just figs; and no other license has been good for a chess set), but LOTR would be the perfect theme to make an amazing chess set.

I could see it being done at a similar scale as the big Fantasy Era chess set was, with the buildable board and the individual bases for all the figs.

Good team could have 4 Rohan soldiers and 4 Gondor soldiers for the pawns. King and Queen could be Sam and Frodo (Frodo as king, Sam as queen (not that that is a comment on Sam as a character, but the strength and usefulness of the Queen is far more than that of the King)), the bishops could be Merry and Pippin, Knights would be Gandalf and Aragorn, and the Rooks Lelgolas and Gimli.

Evil team could have 4 Mordor orcs and 4 Uruks for pawns. King and Queen could be Sauron (king), and Saruman (queen). The bishops could be the Witch-King and the MOuth of Sauron. Knights would be Nazgul, and Rooks are Trolls.

The Shire

It's Hobbit time, :sweet:

And something is still missing. And what we are missing?

-Yes, round doors!

tumblr_la2c4jPTrD1qe55iuo1_400.jpg

Wonderful round doors in any color. :grin_wub: Beauty doors for a wonderful classical LEGO Shire.

Come on, who wouldn't like that? The Shire is cool!

And here are collected set ideas, where we can put those doors into.

The Fellowship of the Ring

Bilbo's Party

Minifigs: Bilbo (old, with coat and walking stick), Frodo (no coat, vest only*), Gandalf the Grey (no hat, new hairpiece), Merry (*) and Pippin. (*)

Components and scenery: A part of Bilbo's house, a small tent, 2 tables with food, cart with fireworks, two trees attached to each other with a line inbetween with colorful lanterns hanging, and a stage for Bilbo.

Size: Small.

Extra information:

The random Hobbit could either be a random Hobbit based on one out of many from the movie, as seen during the party, or Samwise Gamgee. (With a dark coat)

Under the tent, there could be a large 'dragon' firework with a mechanism to shoot itinto the air along with the tent, like Merry and Pippin did in the movie.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Bag End

Minifigs: Bilbo (young, no coat), Gandalf the Grey, Bifur and Bofur.

Components and scenery: Bilbo's house, with the outside, some parts of the interior, including the room with the large table. It could have several chairs,

but since there are only 3 out of all 13 dwarves in this set, they could just stamp a sign saying "Collect all 13 dwarves!" on the front of the box, somewhere. Don't think they'd do that anyways though, and just put the dwarves around different sets anyways.

Size: Small.

Extra information:

Could include any of the dwarves, as long as there are about 2, so Bifur and Bofur could both be replaced.

Depends on which two dwarves play more of a role in this scene of the movie, so Thorin Oakenshield could be here as well,

but I wanted to avoid duplicates of any dwarf in these sets.

And here the next ideas:

The Shire:

1) Bag End (The hobbit hole itself with removable top, with interior rooms - kitchen and living room - and front lawn/garden)

2) Bilbo's Birthday Party (Tents, banners, tables and a music stage for hobbit musicians. Bilbo, Gandalf, and Frodo figures, with party hobbits)

3) Hobbiton Market (Like the Medieval Market Village, only hobbit style and more outdoor stalls)

4) The Green Dragon Inn (Exclusive set with local hobbits and Rosie Cotton)

5) Farmer Maggot's Farm (Fence, Farmer Maggot, Grip, Fang & Wolf - His dogs - Merry & Pippin with vegetables. Farmland with a small corn field perhaps)

5. Hobbiton

Large set with 4 different hobit houses each one being very different and unique and amongst those houses bag end.

Figures included: Rosie, Frodo, Bilbo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, 2 random hobbits.

And therefore I've compiled my thoughts about following possible LEGO Shire locations into 1 set:

-The Green Dragon

-The Old Mill with a large water-wheel, yards, hey meadow

-Sam's home: Number 3, Bagshot Row

-The Weekly market with following boothes: Snack bar, florist, tobacconist, greengrocer, butcher

I would also like to see into that set the following minifigures:

Hamfast Gamgee "Gaffer Gamgee", Sam Gamgee (in gardener outfit), Sandyman the Miller and his son Ted Sandyman

Modular Hobbiton

Desc: a hobbit hole that has multiple different arrangements, allowing you to effectivly build your own version of Bag End, compatible with "Bilbo's House" and "The Green Dragon"

Figs:4 hobbits with different combos

price: $40

I love LEGO CREATOR and/or MODULAR sets. Because this property LEGO's karma :angel_sing: is. If LEGO produces a "3 in 1 CREATOR Hobbit hole" inclusive 3 colored doors and some hobbits with exchangeable faces and outfits -then I will buy that set 3x times! :iamded_lol::thumbup:

And last but not least:

Sam & Rosie's wedding celebration inclusive following

-Accessories: Tent, 2 x bedecked trees with blue/orange/green lampions, 2 x bedecked tables and a three-tier wedding cake, dance floor

-Minifigures: :wub: Rose Cotton (in wedding dress), Tolman Cotton Senior, Lily Brown (Rosies mother), Samwise Gamgee, Hamfast Gamgee, Hamsen Gamdschie (Sams brother), Frodo, Peregrin Took, Diamond of Long Cleeve (pippins girlfriend), Meriadoc Brandybuck, Estella Bolger (Merrys girlfriend), 2 x hobbit-musicians

...damn, I want all of them. :excited:

Edited by Elander

@ Elander: Keep in mind that TLG can only do stuff from the movies. AFAIK, All those other Hobbit Characters werent in them.

This raises an interesting question: Can TLG release e.g a generic house and say "this is Sandymans mill / Maggots farm /..." even if these locations werent in the movies? Could the holders of the rights of the LotR movies green-light such a project?

A humongous, brick-built, UCS Treebeard. Similar in size/piece count to the R2-D2 model that just came out. With all the greens and browns in it, it can even double as a parts pack for trees and foliage.

I would like to see theese:

Tower of isengard £69.99: The tower from the movie a bit taller than the whitecap bay,but have more rooms.The middle room should be the Room where gandalf and saruman fight in fellowship of the ring with a throne for saruman and opening doors which saruman closes in the scene.The next room down should be saruman's place where he talks to sauron using that crystal ball,and have space for saruman to stand near it.The next floor should be saruman's office where he has his desk like in the fellowship of the ring.The bottom floor should simply be the place where when the doors open figures can enter.The top floor under the roof should be a small room with a door that leads out onto the balcony which should be wide enough for a few figures.The top of the tower should just have an open space for figures to stand on but have the 4 points that stick up.Minifigures: Saruman,Gandalf(the grey),Wormtounge,2 Urukhai one with hair like the 2012 variant and one with a helmet and armour.Also includes an eagle for gandalf.

@ Elander: Keep in mind that TLG can only do stuff from the movies. AFAIK, All those other Hobbit Characters werent in them.

This raises an interesting question: Can TLG release e.g a generic house and say "this is Sandymans mill / Maggots farm /..." even if these locations werent in the movies? Could the holders of the rights of the LotR movies green-light such a project?

Lego probably only got the license to reproduce elements from the movies, so I think they could get away with making things like Farmer Maggot's house, since Farmer Maggot was referenced in the movie. I don't think they could or would make a generic house; more than likely they'd just make Bag End.

Hmmm... what do you think, how expensive would be an extra license based of the books and other legends of Middle-earth? Those characters are amazing. I would love it to see those cities and armies in LEGO style.

Ok, back to topic.

May I ask for some transparent or shining special pieces?

6988023703_6d53d49ee1_m.jpg

Damn, it would be so much possible if LEGO could... or just want ??

For example that transparent minifigure. Let's imagination that's Frodo (in the situation when he's inversible and carries the ring). I would love to see that transparent minifigure with some character traits on Frodo's face and some marks on he's body.

Same procedure, just in shiny transparent neon green. Would you like an LEGO Galadriel if she looks in her mirror.

Let's think a bit further. What do you think if LEGO could do an mix of colored and transparent bodies for the Army of the Dead. Those dead soldiers could also get some character traits on the (transparent/ and colored) faces and also different marks on the (transparent/ and colored) bodies. Could that be possible? YES

With special accessories (armors and weapons) and also shiny horses would that army become the best LEGO army I've ever seen.

Army_of_the_dead.jpg

But that isn't all. LEGO could also create monsters like the Balrog in concerning to the same way. In combination with some different yellow and orange color shades (for the flames) and some transparent-grey and dark grey color shades (for the shadow and smoke) is it possible. The sword and the lash would be also yellow.

And what do you think regarding the buildings?

Yes, sure. You can with prints create things like the shiny marks like those on the Door to Moria. But what I do prefer are whole shiny buildings. And that is possible:

5786999416_79e141897e_z.jpg

I love those shiny bricks. Than that transparent green shiny material is already used by LEGO's Diagon Alley (Borgin and Burkes). That material is also really useful for the shiny places like Minas Morgul or the city of the dead:

Dead-city.JPG

[That material (as red or orange colored) could be also useful for an shiny lava at Mount Doom or Sauron's red eye at Barad Dur.]

Yes, LEGO could create Minas Morgul (shiny walls and tower), Barad Dur (Sauron's eye) or Caras Galadhorn (shiny lampions at the stairs) in combination with those mentioned in dark shiny effects. And those sets would definitely become LEGO bestsellers!

It is no risk if LEGO tests some specilas.

It is a pity that Frodo's sword Sting can't shines in the dark. I hope that we will see that shiny sword into an other LEGO set. Maybe into an set when Sam rescues Frodo at Cirith Ungol.

Or Gandalf's magic staff in Moria. That accessoire would be an perfect addition for Gandalf when he fights against the Balrog.

Come on LEGO!

You have shiny elements already created. That here is THE chance! :thumbup:

Ok, back to topic.

May I ask for some transparent or shining special pieces?

*snip rest of text*

6988023703_6d53d49ee1_m.jpg

I believe TLG already stated that it is hard to do and that we're not likely to see any transparent figures, or at least not anytime soon.

The Spongebob sets have a Flying Dutchman figure, who was supposed to be transparent, and that one was just green...no transparency at all.

I'm sure that we're not going to see "invisible Frodo" as a figure, and the Army of the Dead's ghost figs will/would just be some kind of green color mixed with others.

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Hmmm... what do you think, how expensive would be an extra license based of the books and other legends of Middle-earth? Those characters are amazing. I would love it to see those cities and armies in LEGO style.

I guess that would mean negotiating a separate license with the Tolkien estate. And as someone mentioned, having a visual reference (the movies) really helps TLG in creating sets; I dont know if there is a precedent in obtaining license of a non-visual medium (or how to call it). But we might be surprised, though Im not sure if this is the thread for this sort of speculation.

Transparent fig just won't happen unless it's fixed (non poseable) because polycarbonate (PC for short) that LEGO uses for transparent color are very stiff and it will not flex at all. That would make it very hard to install arms and legs without cracking any part. Plus PC seems to bind to each other, which is why it's considered illegal build if you slide a trans 1x1 round or cone brick onto a 3mm trans rod.