Loco de Lego

What're your favorite and least favorite Star Wars sets?

Excluding pre-2005 sets and any non-normal sets, I think my least favorite would have to be the new MTT. Never have I gotten so excited about a set name and been so disappointed when I saw the picture.

I would like to defend the MHC. It looks almost exactly like it should, and it comes with Umbarans! It's actually one of my favorite clone wars sets.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's my least favorite, but the recent Naboo security speeder is rather unpleasant. I think it's decent, and I got it to complete my Naboo scene and get the figures, but it's nothing special.

Another poor one, I have to agree, is the starhopper. As others have said, it should have had Zygerrians. I actually rather liked the clone wars, but that ship was a poor choice for a set, and was executed as poorly as expected. In order for it to look good it should have been >500 pieces. It was too blocky as well. I will admit I don't own it, so I don't know how good the speeder drop feature is, but I doubt it can counteract its other failings.

I actually rather liked the starhopper, enough to buy two of them. My only gripe is the cockpit section, they could have designed it so it has more of a curve as it's rather straight compared to the actual ship.

One set I despise is the Republic Shuttle, such an awesome ship designed (imo) very lazily, and they used LBG instead of white. I can see why they used LBG to give it the dirty look but white makes it look so much better. Some of the MOCs out there have done this ship justice and I wish LEGO did too.

I'll throw in Palpatine's Shuttle in here as well, the only thing that made the set worth it at the time was the figures and maybe the Darth Vader transformation play feature.

I'll throw in Palpatine's Shuttle in here as well, the only thing that made the set worth it at the time was the figures and maybe the Darth Vader transformation play feature.

Agree,Palpatine Shuttle is also not a good set.The ship and interior looks unfinished.The set has good minifigures,but the way the ship built regrets that.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

I think lego ruined the T-16. Has a great Raider, but the back looks bad and the interior looks unfinished. Its more of a spare parts MOC.

Aw, I really like the original T-16 (I bought three). And Final Duel II, for which I eventually picked up about two dozen (yay clearances!). And the Technic R2, which in fairness is much more impressive if you take his functionality into account.

And the Technic R2, which in fairness is much more impressive if you take his functionality into account.

The function is alright,but the hollow and skeletal look at the Technic R2 regrets that.Not a good Technic set at all.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Pretty much any set under twenty dollars, particularly in the last ten or so years, becomes virtually worthless without the minifigs. There are exceptions but they're probably at least one in three. Those bother me more than logical-in-context blocky builds from fifteen years ago. You can also add me to the list of people who weren't impressed by the Technic sets, though they were a noble attempt.

I really hated the Clone Wars Malevolence. The blue is way too much. I dosn't look like that in the show. they used hundreds of pieces for the missle play feature on both sides of the ship. The ion cannons in the show did not fire any missiles, so the model should have just had the static weapon emplacements. That would have drastically cut down on pieces for an inaccurate play feature. I did like the tiny train feature. Too bad it could only go a couple centimeters rather than the whole length of the ship, like in the show. And lets not forget about those awful assfaced Clone Wars minifigs, the ugliest offenders having been included in this very set! :sick:

Pretty much any set under twenty dollars, particularly in the last ten or so years, becomes virtually worthless without the minifigs. There are exceptions but they're probably at least one in three. Those bother me more than logical-in-context blocky builds from fifteen years ago.

Some of the sets under 20$ are quite nice.Like the 9491 Geonosian Cannon and 75002 AT-RT.The 9491 has good minifigures and the cannon is also well designed too.Although the AT-RT is way too big,but the AT-RT is also well designed too and the minifigures is great for a 20$ set.

Pretty much any set under twenty dollars, particularly in the last ten or so years, becomes virtually worthless without the minifigs. There are exceptions but they're probably at least one in three. Those bother me more than logical-in-context blocky builds from fifteen years ago. You can also add me to the list of people who weren't impressed by the Technic sets, though they were a noble attempt.

The blocky-in-context originals definitely shouldn't really be considered for this type of discussion, since it was an entirely different era of Lego and a very distinct aesthetic. However, I think most under-$20 kits from the entire course of the line don't merit inclusion either, since by and large they are just excuses to sell minifigures, not sets in themselves. Their goal is usually never to be stellar, just to keep Hasbro from litigating. The "worst Star Wars set" award has to go to, in my opinion, something that was large enough to be an actual set, and something where they sincerely attempted to make a certain vehicle or scene and failed abysmally, entirely through their own fault (not, for example, like the simmering Kylo Ren Shuttle debacle, where changes since the concept art seem to be the culprit, not Lego).

Well, out of my own collection I'd probably have to say I'm most dissatisfied with my Malevolence. Don't get me wrong-its a great parts pack-but if I could go back and buy, say Palpatine's Arrest, I think I'd be a tad happier. That's not to say the set doesn't resemble it's "real-life" counter-part, in fact it does it fairly well, and uses a low amount of stickers for such a large set. My biggest gripe with it is that I didn't like the source material that much and just got it for the figures. That's my fault I guess.

For sets I've never picked up, my first reaction would be the Clone Wars Twilight set. Never got what they were doing with that particular ship. After thinking about it, I don't really like the Sith Nightspeeder (I apparently don't like many Clone Wars sets! :tongue: ).

No doubt form me: 75036 Utapau Troopers is the worst set ever released! When I sow the preliminary image I said: "What's this s**t?". But it was a preliminary, so I was sure they'd do better in the officially release.

It wasn't so. What a shame.................

Going a little off-topics: TFA sets have now arrived in Italy and they are over over over over over priced!!!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::angry:

No doubt form me: 75036 Utapau Troopers is the worst set ever released! When I sow the preliminary image I said: "What's this s**t?". But it was a preliminary, so I was sure they'd do better in the officially release.

Yes. Absolutely second this.

No doubt form me: 75036 Utapau Troopers is the worst set ever released!

Okay, I'm genuinely confused here. It's a cheap set with the figs and the build all fairly accurate to the source material (within the usual limitations of the medium), and actually having representation from opposing sides makes it a lot more dynamic than most other battlepacks these days. So... what exactly makes this particular one the "worst set ever"?

Okay, I'm genuinely confused here. It's a cheap set with the figs and the build all fairly accurate to the source material (within the usual limitations of the medium), and actually having representation from opposing sides makes it a lot more dynamic than most other battlepacks these days. So... what exactly makes this particular one the "worst set ever"?

The horribly butchered hack and slash job TLG did on octupptarra thinking it could get away with it thanks to the awesome airbornes. Thought wrong at least as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Spyderlord

The horribly butchered hack and slash job TLG did on octupptarra thinking it could get away with it thanks to the awesome airbornes. Thought wrong at least as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm, doesnt look that bad to me, but then again im not much of a droid army kind of guy, so the cool clonies make the set look pretty damn awesome

I chuckle a bit whenever I see people hating on the Twilight... In the show, the ship was as ugly as sin. Did anyone really expect TLG to make a silk purse from a sow's ear? It's ugly on the show and ugly in bricks. Sounds accurate enough to me. ;)

What surprises me most is that on top of decent accuracy, it's pretty close to full minifig scale.

All those early sets are so bad... You have to wonder if the designers assigned even cared about the movies. Nowadays, we know those designers are SW fans, so they give it a lot more effort.

Edited by rollermonkey

Another vote for the Pod Bucket. It's funny, and kind of embarrassing: I was so excited to get that set for my birthday years and years ago. I was browsing online in the early days of Amazon.com, and I ran out of the room so excited because I thought the original 7171 Mos Espa Podrace got its price slashed to $30. Oh, wait... :blush:

All those early sets are so bad... You have to wonder if the designers assigned even cared about the movies

I think the problem comes from the lack of different pieces back in 1999. Now, I just come from my dark age, and I've got the feeling 50 % pieces I find in every set I buy didn't even existed in 1999.

We could compare Lego sets with cars : every car released in fifteen years ago looks ugly today.

To stay on the topic, I don't like the jedi starfighters sets from The Clone Wars show. They should be elegant, calling speed to mind, but are instead angular and uninteresting.

We could compare Lego sets with cars : every car released in fifteen years ago looks ugly today.

Check out the Alfa Romeo 156 (and personally, the 147, 155 and GTV) as well, all from the 90s, and the 156 particularly is still a stunning car. If they'd freshen that car up with new engines and electronics, and a very slight facelight, id buy a new one right away. Also, 90s BMWs still look pretty good (if they havent been given the barry treatment)

Back on topic, have i nominated the Tie Defender yet? bland and repetitive build, very little printed parts for extra visual interestingness, the wing assembly is wobbly as megabluck, and the cockpit rotates, also, the proportions feel off.

I tried selling mine, but people wont even pay fair brick value for the damn thing, i really regret buying the PoS

The first Slave I (7144), no doubt about it.

I love the old blocky feel of it! I do not think it is particularly that bad.... just pales in comparison to its successors.