wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Well lets think of some battle packs that could be trotted out...

Rangers of the North

Elves

Dwarves

Rohirrim

Gondorians

Orcs

Uruk-hai

Goblins of Moria

Trolls

Would love to see a 4 hobbits battle pack with Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin

Another with Boromir, Aragorn, Gimili and Legolas

Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the white

Then you have the Dwarves and Bilbo from the Hobbit.

Would really like Lego to make hinged short legs somehow so the dwarves, Gollum and the hobbits can have some more movement.

All that wishing has paid off finally. Starting 2012 Lego slush fund now. Sorry inlaws no pressies for you at Christmas. :wink:

This thread is confusing since anyone who comes here has to wade through the discussion on the rumored LOTR theme first before getting to the discussion on the confirmed theme. :thumbdown:

Maybe they should list the page number in the thread that it becomes confirmed in the opening post.

This is indeed cool and now that it's official, even better. Besides the obvious wonder of castles and scenes, my biggest question is about the mini-figures. Will the hobbits simply have shorter legs or will they be average mini-height? Which would mean all the other characters would have to be taller. Oh, and what about those big hairy feet? This is where being a fly on the wall in the Lego design department would be really cool.

This thread is confusing since anyone who comes here has to wade through the discussion on the rumored LOTR theme first before getting to the discussion on the confirmed theme. :thumbdown:

My apologies Your Highness.

NOTE: Rumor and Speculation Discussions = Pages 1 - 38 / Confirmation Discussions = Page 39 onwards.

Maybe they should list the page number in the thread that it becomes confirmed in the opening post.

Done. Offering suggestions is much better than outright complaining. :thumbup:

My 2 cents on this

One should not expect too much from this licence, they will not produce 3000 pieces Helm's Deep Battle or UCS Hobbiton.... :sweet:

Like for Super Heroes, characters are the key here. A few trees, a small house, one or two rocks, and that will be all.

For Super Heroes, all hours of passionate discussions about "Arkham full UCS huge 5000 pieces set" are just destroyed by a real "small street light and a piece of sidewalk" set.... :laugh:

I am buying all the sets. Maybe not all at once but, oh I can't wait for them, especially Helms Deep.

I am going to be broke :sad: . I now not only have to buy superheros,spongebob,maybe ninjago?, dino and city sets now, I have to buy this too. But once I got everything, i will either be this :cry_happy: or this :laugh:

Edited by YangHao6998

I've been out of system for a while, Just havent really felt like buying anything at all from the themes.

But. Oh. My. Sweet. Fruity. Panda Bears.

Hearing LOTR being officially confirmed absolutely makes my day.

There are SO many opportunities for this line. From the many different castles to battlepacks to ships to who knows what.

Finally a confirmation. Kingdoms coming to an end is pretty darn certain.

I am a huge fan of Tolkein but I am still going to be cautious in my expectations. I am looking forward to the weapons armor and some of the prints (i.e. flags, shields, torsos)

I am not looking forward to the fleshies. Please LEGO keep the flesh off of the torsos. I say that again. No flesh on the torsos PLEASE. These sets are going to be very expensive on a part by part basis. Replacing the heads and hands is going to be expensive enough. I don't want a buch of unusable torsos along with the expensive sets.

All of you looking forward to elves are going to have to keep them fleshie or do some piece modification (because) those ears on the hair are going to be fleshie color. Atleast they will have an elf hairpiece that has longer hair than the current one. I suppose I can paint the ears with yellow. Worst yet is that the collector elf and the new ones will not look good together. I suppose I am going to have to decide which color to make them in the long run. Perhaps fleshie elves would give a place for all of my fleshie parts.

The dwarves will have the same fleshie problem. The dwarves will be easier to change with just heads and hands to replace. The good thing is we should get a host of new beards for the dwarves, especially for the individuals for the hobbit movie. The dwarves are all main characters in those two films and have a variety of beard types. Articulating dwarf legs would be the greatest addition if it ever came true. I am hoping!

I also hope the orcs, goblins, and trolls mesh well with the already exhisting ones. Although a darker green skin might be acceptable for mixing together, I am hoping for the same color just to get new heads for mixing into the troll armies I already have.

This could be a very impressive run of LEGO product. I imagine set design will be pretty good (LEGO seems to have great designers these days) and these will sell very well. I do not expect the sets to stand up to AFOLs MOCs. We are not the target audience kids are. I would guess sales will only come in second to star wars.

Like it or not there will be no regular castle released for 2-3 years.

Between LOTR, Superheroes, CMF series 6 & 7 (and the army building associated with both) and stocking up on Kingdoms, Alien Conquest and Pharaoh's Quest before they disappear, I'm going to be one broke Ogre! Damn!

It's like LEGO had spy-cams peeping-in on my dreams! :laugh:

I certainly hope they have some KICK megablocks battle packs for LOTR! If they don't, they're CRAZY! Just imagine the kind of sales they would have if they released SEVERAL different battle packs, targeting each of the major factions. *swoon*

This announcement pretty much made my YEAR! Two things my brother and I were really into about the time we got seriously into LEGO were Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, and my custom Gandalf minifig was one of three that survived my first dark age, not to mention we had an entire campaign based on Lord of the Rings, but with our characters involved (lets just say that the Battle of Helm's Deep was much less desperate when you had two strategically placed cannons and several gatling guns on the walls)...

I'm just itching for the chance to give General Gandalf, Master Sergent Gimli Gloinson, Corporal Ugluk, Senator Galadriel, and other such characters in my bizarre LEGO world an official makeover!

...Oh, and it looks like I'll have to keep my promise of giving my girlfriend one each of all the Hobbitses. :tongue:

If the orc forge comes with Saruman, I feel like his hair will be Ginny's but in white, and he'll have a white beard. Just a guess.

Those of you who have been following my LEGO career know that I build a ton in LOTR. I have had series of hints recently that this was coming, so for the CCC I started to build Hobbit creations instead of the typical castle(this is proof that LOTR can replace history/castle). The timing was absolutely perfect on my part.

PROS:

For me, I am totally excited about this prospect. I have waited over 10 years of my life for this time, and the availability of LEGO LOTR sets is just making me dizzy. The new sets and pieces that will be coming are just unimaginable. Totally stoked for this.

CONS:

I can't help but have a certain reluctance about the licensing as well. The fact that I will now be building in a licensed theme kinda makes me sad. That is a major reason I have stayed out of StarWars, if only for the fact that it is way too popular(debatable). However, I think that because people know that I have been building LOTR long before LEGO announced this, I feel that I can still have some credit left as being a creative thinker(not saying you SW guys aren't). My second nitpick with the license is that it will be replacing the history sets. For how often I get the history sets, I probably won't notice a change. But for the periodic few that I get, I will be missing them. This also depends on how good the LOTR sets will be. In my eyes, I can see them being exactly the same as the POTC sets-- which I am not a fan of.

I don't know what to make of this boyos. The entire community is getting pretty excited about this, while I have some qualms. Time will tell, and I suppose the ultimate satisfaction will be in actual seeing the sets.

Just my 2 cents as a loyal LOTR/castle builder

-Blake

I'm excited about this being confirmed. Still have to wait and see what they produce and I'm very hopeful for a variety of fantasy creatures, hopefully centaurs will be in there.

I'm fine with fleshies. I don't see what's wrong with mixing the yellow minifigures with fleshies. Real people have all different skin colors. And there have been a few new other colored minifigures such as brown and that orange tan (zombies in Pirates of the Carribean). I think it adds color and variety to a creation.

Glad to see this theme finally confirmed. :cry_happy: I can't wait to get all those beautiful fleshie faces! :sweet: I'm really hoping that the Orcs are 'scarier' versions of the Castle Trolls. Anyway, a prediction:

Gandalf Arrives, I think, should have Bag End, Bilbo, Gandalf, and a few dwarves, to mirror the introduction of Gandalf in 'The Hobbit'. I really think that TLG will throw at least one Hobbit set in the first wave, just because the new movie will start getting some hype around the time that the sets come out.

I can't believe this is actually true! :cry_happy:

Starting a fresh thread for this would have made the most sense to me but listing the page where the topic of discussion changes should be a good enough patch job for anal people like me who like everything separated and organized. :grin:

My apologies Your Highness.

NOTE: Rumor and Speculation Discussions = Pages 1 - 38 / Confirmation Discussions = Page 39 onwards.

Done. Offering suggestions is much better than outright complaining. :thumbup:

Thank you kindly Sir. :classic:

My 2 cents on this

One should not expect too much from this licence, they will not produce 3000 pieces Helm's Deep Battle or UCS Hobbiton.... :sweet:

Like for Super Heroes, characters are the key here. A few trees, a small house, one or two rocks, and that will be all.

For Super Heroes, all hours of passionate discussions about "Arkham full UCS huge 5000 pieces set" are just destroyed by a real "small street light and a piece of sidewalk" set.... :laugh:

So simplistic yet very realistic expectations, and I couldn't agree more. I think most of us have already seen good examples from previous licenses (SW, HP, PoP, PoTC) and most likely those would be indicative of the "quality/size/scale" of the sets we'll be getting from LOTR. Even if we'll get a simple horse cart, or castle tower/wall, or a ballista, etc., the beauty of the LEGO medium is there will always be (A HUGE) room to modify and improve the sets to our liking.

I'm excited about this being confirmed. Still have to wait and see what they produce and I'm very hopeful for a variety of fantasy creatures, hopefully centaurs will be in there.

Only there happens to be no centaurs in Middle-earth... In fact it's pretty scarce on other classic fantasy creatures too (excluding pseudohuman "races" like elves, dwarves and orcs). Of course we are bound to get Smaug the Dragon in time (though probably only when the second part of the film is finally coming to the silver screen in 2013), maybe even giant eagles. And trolls and ents, tree-people. Possibly wargs, huge evil wolves, but I really hope that Lego stays away from those horrible "mutated hyena" atrocities that Jackson used in the LotR trilogy. I wonder if they've redesigned them for The Hobbit... fingers crossed!

I am a huge fan of LOTR but I probably won't end up getting any of these sets mainly because I'm really not a fan of licensed themes and I don't see that Lego sets will do justice to locations and settings in the movies since most of them are huge in scope. I would prefer the Kingdoms line continue for at least for one last wave of sets for 2012. Maybe there will be a final wave of sets for Kingdoms released alongside LOTR but I doubt TLG has the resources to do this. It looks like the last set for Kingdoms may be the 10223 Kingdoms Joust and if that's the case then I will be somewhat disappointed to see Kingdoms end after only 2 waves of sets and 1 exclusive set. I will reserve my final judgement until I see photos but I'm not very optimistic.

Edited by Nicker

I would not only like to see the "wild" part of LotR recreated in LEGO (battle packs and invasions) but also the "peaceful" part.. like a house.

IMO LEGO Castle & Kingdoms lacked of this, most of the sets were just trolls & soldiers attacking the castles. I hope there will be more sets like Medieval Market Village and the King's joust in LotR (This means, sets without any kind of invasion and violence :classic: )

Edited by Otherworld

I'm fine with fleshies. I don't see what's wrong with mixing the yellow minifigures with fleshies. Real people have all different skin colors. And there have been a few new other colored minifigures such as brown and that orange tan (zombies in Pirates of the Carribean). I think it adds color and variety to a creation.

I never understand this argument, yes people have different skin tones in real life but nobody has bright yellow! I always think flesh mixed with yellow looks weird

9473 The Mines of Moria

Let there be the Balrog... Let there be the Balrog... Please, let there be The Balrog...