Scrubs

[Software] MecaBricks - Online Design Tool

Scrubs : i ha ve a question for you, can i import a LDD model? i think no...you make your brick winth blender?

Hello,

No, you currently can't open LDD models in mecabricks. I could partially support it but I would need to write a converter - Mainly a conversion table for parts as they don't have the same origins.

I make the bricks in Blender however, any CAD software that can export in a format that Blender can read for final export is ok.

Hello,

No, you currently can't open LDD models in mecabricks. I could partially support it but I would need to write a converter - Mainly a conversion table for parts as they don't have the same origins.

I make the bricks in Blender however, any CAD software that can export in a format that Blender can read for final export is ok.

no problem!!!....thank you!!!!

yesteday i tray to make a render whit 3d studio max and vay this is the result

http://oi59.tinypic.com/24pci80.jpg

Edited by rucolo

I just found this, and signed up, but am unable to use it. The display screen on the workshop is just giving me digital artifacts. I am using Chrome on an Android 4.4 tablet. Is there something I might be able to do to get it to work?

Hello,

If you see some sort of digital artifact, it doesn't sound good :wacko:

There might be an issue with the support of WebGL and your tablet. The workshop is mainly designed to work on a desktop computer anyway and the support of touch devices is quite limited even if it kinda works (I can play with it on my Galaxy S4).

Can you see the 3D models from the library? (e.g. http://www.mecabricks.com/embed/EMgaXwAlvz0)

Just wanted to jump in here and commend you (and your team?) on this awesome tool! Mecabricks is sooo much easier to learn than LDD. If I figure out a way to generate a Bricklink parts list from a Mecabricks model, my wallet is in serious trouble... :)

Mecabricks is sooo much easier to learn than LDD.

Affirmative! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, it is really appreciated :classic:

It is a team of one so far!

I spent a lot of time recently on the exporters (mainly collada) and on the admin side of the part library - not really visible for the average user but it will make my life much easier to add new parts.

My next job will be to redo the model display page and I intend to provide a button to export part inventory in multiple formats, Bricklink being one of them.

The database is already capable to handle bricklink references and names - it just needs to be completed.

Hello everybody,

Just to keep you posted with the last improvements on Mecabricks.

Among other things, the last additions to the workshop are:

- Export in Collada - in addition to STL and OBJ

- Export LEGO logo on studs for increased realism when rendered in third party software

- Undo/Redo function. it currently records the last 100 actions

The library now counts more than 1400 unique part designs and about 700 decorations. You can view part data on this page.

Another update in the workshop -

I added the support for the orthographic projection. You can now toggle between the Perspective and Orthographic view (Numpad 5).

I also changed the camera controls which makes it easier to work under a model as it can be seen upside down.

Last but not least, I added an option to reset the camera as it was asked by a few people.

camera_options.png

I finished my first model with this, uploaded it to your library, and i'm loving it! My only nitpick is when I use the area selection tool it sometimes drags the view angle instead of the selection box.

Edited by Umbra-Manis

Thank you.

I just had a look in the code for the area selection tool. I found out that when the wrong button of the mouse was clicked first before using the appropriate left button to select the area it was reactivating the camera controls. I modified the code and hopefully it fixes your issue!

On the same note, this tool wasn't working with the orthographic camera - it was selecting the whole scene. It is now sorted too.

P.S. I saw your model in the library. Your moles are pretty funny!

Pardon me if this question has been asked before, but do you plan on adding any Bionicle/constraction pieces? Because I would love to use this to try to render some of my Bionicle MOCs using this program. :D

Hello,

I actually don't own any of those parts yet so it makes it a bit harder to model. However ultimately the answer is yes.

Great work you are doing with the online tool and the integration to blender. I'll definitely try your template. :thumbup:

Have you thought about the brick snapping feature like the Ldraw SR3D Builder has? Not sure, if it's possible to implemented it in your concept, but it's really great (that's because I'm still using SR3D Builder for my models).

Question for the EB Stuff: What about a "[KEY TOPIC] Official Sets made in Mecabricks"?

Great work you are doing with the online tool and the integration to blender. I'll definitely try your template. :thumbup:

Have you thought about the brick snapping feature like the Ldraw SR3D Builder has? Not sure, if it's possible to implemented it in your concept, but it's really great (that's because I'm still using SR3D Builder for my models).

Question for the EB Stuff: What about a "[KEY TOPIC] Official Sets made in Mecabricks"?

If you like SR3D Builder because of the snapping feature, I can also recommend LDCad. It's in active development (which SR3D Builder sadly isn't, not anymore :cry_sad: ).

About the sets key-topic: well, that would be not that usefull, since Mecabricks has its own page with sets (I believe, not 100% sure).

If you like SR3D Builder because of the snapping feature, I can also recommend LDCad. It's in active development (which SR3D Builder sadly isn't, not anymore :cry_sad: ).

About the sets key-topic: well, that would be not that useful, since Mecabricks has its own page with sets (I believe, not 100% sure).

Like SR3D builder also because of hinge mode, automatic orientation and other features, but most because I got used to it. I tried LDCad, and got really frustrated pretty soon. Actually not because of software, but because I was not used to it, and it was hard for me to break the habits :blush:. I have to give it a one more try (somehow missed the snapping feature there).

Yes it has own page with sets and gallery. They are not really organized there like here, but it could be done on the Mecabricks page, so maybe you are right.

but because I was not used to it, and it was hard for me to break the habits
I had the same problem initially, but I'm happy I persevered: I'm now a complete fan of LDCad!

Hello,

For now Mecabricks uses a different approach to snap parts and achieve complex builds.

You can check this video tutorial to have a quick overview of what you can do.

Regarding the officiel lego sets, like legolijnjte said, there is a special page on mecabricks where you can search by themes/subthemes (brickset names) and by years.

11c77o2.png

Edited by Scrubs

I suggest to add control and interface option for LDD or other Lego CAD software. For example drag left mouse button to rotate camera. L/R arrow key to turn brick same direct as LDD. Then new user no need to break the habits too much building with Mecabricks. Plus same icon position / same hotkey.

Edited by bbqqq

It is actually the case...

Left mouse to rotate

Middle button or scrollwheel to zoom

Right button to pan

U/D/R/L Arrows of the keyboard to rotate parts 45 degrees around Y or X.