shiplover

[MOC] USS Poseidon - Minifig Scale First Rate Ship of the Line

The behemoth continues to progress! Lookin' good!

So after this is done, are you going to have an Inigo Montoya moment, where you realize that you've been working on the Poseidon for so long, now that it's over, you don't know what to do with the rest of your life?

Amazing!

Do you have plans to put sails on the ship? If so, I sincerely hope you don't have ventilation blowing in the room... pirate_wink.gif

Not sure how to express this, but I’m confused so I’m going to try.

Your shrouds, for one, are tan/beige when wouldn’t they likely have been tarred against weather, so black?

Also, you used bull’s eyes, where they would have been dead eyes. So much has been done towards accuracy and it shows but then this.

If you’re going with such a thin shroud, why then use the less realistic bull’s eyes and not my “4624 dead eyes”? Then again, it seems they should be thicker any way…

To be clear: if there are answers to these questions, reasons for these decisions, do tell. I’m not trying to be insulting or know-it-all but I fear I may come across that way, despite best efforts. I have to say, if you’re rushing or cutting corners, please stop. Too much has gone into this thus far to cheap out now.

The behemoth continues to progress! Lookin' good!

So after this is done, are you going to have an Inigo Montoya moment, where you realize that you've been working on the Poseidon for so long, now that it's over, you don't know what to do with the rest of your life?

Who knows . . . maybe we need a water background next at a realistic water line

Amazing!

Do you have plans to put sails on the ship? If so, I sincerely hope you don't have ventilation blowing in the room... pirate_wink.gif

Sails for sure.

Not sure how to express this, but I’m confused so I’m going to try.

Your shrouds, for one, are tan/beige when wouldn’t they likely have been tarred against weather, so black?

Also, you used bull’s eyes, where they would have been dead eyes. So much has been done towards accuracy and it shows but then this.

If you’re going with such a thin shroud, why then use the less realistic bull’s eyes and not my “4624 dead eyes”? Then again, it seems they should be thicker any way…

To be clear: if there are answers to these questions, reasons for these decisions, do tell. I’m not trying to be insulting or know-it-all but I fear I may come across that way, despite best efforts. I have to say, if you’re rushing or cutting corners, please stop. Too much has gone into this thus far to cheap out now.

Shrouds should probably be black, but i went with the tan for cosmetic reasons. So much black on the ship already, just thought it looked better. As for the 4624 tire center, it is twice as thick and larger in diameter than the shim I used. I think the shims look much more realistic than any other alternative. Price was not the issue because those tan shims were very spendy in the quantities I needed. After getting your comment I mocked up one shroud line with 4624s just to see, the shims looked much better. Not sure, what you mean by slim shrouds.

Thanks for the comments.

Looks amazing yet again!

Can I ask what the super glue is for? pirate_devg1.gif

Sure. I glue each knot in the lines to prevent anything from coming undone.

What a gorgeous ship!wub_drool.gif The rigging is coming along nicely. This thing is a monster.

Very impressive work Sir. 

Looks like you have most of the rare books that I have as well. I have a Panart Victory, Constitution and Enterprise waiting to be built so I fully appreciate what you're doing here, thanks for sharing. 

Man your model looks great, despite a few not so historically correct things. It is a daring mission to build such a large model, I admire your patience and Will to complete it. I think the tan coloured rigging looks nice, not on every ship the ropes were tarred. The tan bushes might be on the small side, but I like it better then grey ones. After all this is Lego and it May be modelled as you like. I look forward to see the finished result!

I tried to upload a couple more pics but apparently I'm over my data limit . . . . bummer.  Maybe someone could help me with that?

Edited by shiplover

On 2/25/2017 at 0:11 AM, shiplover said:

I tried to upload a couple more pics but apparently I'm over my data limit . . . . bummer.  Maybe someone could help me with that?

What kind of data limit do you have? Is there a data limit on Brickshelf?

Simply amazing to see the result of so many years of building.

It looks just perfect!

A few more pics. of current work.  Ratlines are finished now.  Working on the rest of the standing rigging and starting some running rigging. Sails are next along with the small boats. Links to ideas are welcome.

img_6032_x-small.jpg

img_6033_x-small.jpg

img_6034_x-small.jpg

img_6035_x-small.jpg

On 2/24/2017 at 11:11 PM, shiplover said:

I think I've figured out what I was doing wrong. Can't drag and drop. Just deep link and things work fine.

14 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Roughly how many studs long is this, excluding the bowsprit, if I might ask.

About 240, without the bowsprit. That is a six foot table it is sitting on and it extends beyond the length of the table on both sides a couple of inches.

First, let me chime in on praising the quality and intricacy of your rigging so far. Wow, great job mate! 

As to the thickness, I was meaning the diameter of the individual strands which make up one of your shrouds. With only your photographcs, and little size reference to go by, it seemed to me that they are only as thick, or maybe a bit thicker than those on my little sloops. Not trying to be a know-it-all, I really can't tell from back here, so I tried to phrase it in a question. I suppose something got lost in translation 

Ow I'm not going to be a hypocrite here, I despised backhanded compliments, but I want you (and everyone) to understand, that even though you're doing things differently than I do and making decisions on which I may have gone another way, I respect the effort you're putting into this build. At first I didn't much like this her, but she's grow on me. Perhaps I didn't have faith she'd ever be completed, meeting the ignominious fate so many Lego SoLs meet. In any case I'm really getting behind this and find myself rooting for you to finish her. 

Do you have any plans for moving and/or displaying her publically? 

6 hours ago, kurigan said:

Do you have any plans for moving and/or displaying her publically? 

Or, perhaps, just giving her to me, out of the goodness of your heart?

5 minutes ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Or, perhaps, just giving her to me, out of the goodness of your heart?

You make your own! :grin:

2 hours ago, kurigan said:

You make your own! :grin:

I'm gonna go make my own 1st Rate!  With blackjack and hookers!  In fact, forget the 1st Rate!