def

Lego Block World Sapporo 2012

So, I went to my first LEGO event in 20 years today, and it was fun! It was interesting to see the work of native builders, and just to look around at people enjoying LEGO. Here are some highlights from the eastern hemisphere :sweet:

The entry of it was a mini-LEGO museum, lots of historical objects having to do with the company, and some MOCs showing the factory. I imagine these are somewhat standard at a lot of official events.

legoshow01.jpg

legoshow02.jpg

Bad English is rare with an international company like LEGO, but they ducked this poster up.

legoshow03.jpg

So this is the AFOL community here, one I've never had contact with, but I should :blush: Some great works, that will be the bulk of this post.

Sapporo Tower? I don't know the name exactly, but this is the main landmark in the city of Sapporo, a tower located down a wide boulevard in the downtown.

legoshow04.jpg

Hakodate is a city south of Sapporo which is famous for its night view, so this is a micro MOC of that.

legoshow05.jpg

legoshow06.jpg

legoshow07.jpg

The old prefecture office, another landmark. (Sapporo was mainly settled in the 1800's, so it's a lot more 'Western' looking than other Japanese cities)

legoshow08.jpg

legoshow09.jpg

legoshow10.jpg

legoshow11.jpg

MOCs of the local services.

Snow removal machines

legoshow12.jpg

legoshow13.jpg

legoshow14.jpg

Kuroneko, the ubiquitous Japanese delivery service

legoshow15.jpg

Amazing detailing on this postal truck

legoshow16.jpg

legoshow17.jpg

Great techniques on these buses too

legoshow18.jpg

Sports mascots

legoshow19.jpg

Another local landmark, but I don't know it

legoshow20.jpg

legoshow21.jpg

A train station

legoshow22.jpg

legoshow23.jpg

legoshow24.jpg

legoshow25.jpg

More independent designs

A department store

legoshow26.jpg

legoshow27.jpg

legoshow28.jpg

legoshow29.jpg

legoshow30.jpg

legoshow31.jpg

legoshow32.jpg

legoshow33.jpg

An apartment?

legoshow34.jpg

legoshow35.jpg

legoshow36.jpg

Practically the next modular building

legoshow37.jpg

legoshow38.jpg

legoshow39.jpg

legoshow40.jpg

A ferry

legoshow41.jpg

legoshow42.jpg

legoshow43.jpg

legoshow44.jpg

Another two dozen pics to come of the 'aquarium' and the White City, but only 50 pics per post :wink:

There was a LEGO aquarium which had a lot of amazingly designed fish. It was easy to just glance over them at first, but on a closer look, there was an amazing amount of detail and design to them.

legoshow45.jpg

legoshow46.jpg

legoshow47.jpg

legoshow48.jpg

legoshow49.jpg

legoshow50.jpg

legoshow51.jpg

legoshow52.jpg

legoshow53.jpg

legoshow54.jpg

legoshow55.jpg

legoshow56.jpg

legoshow57.jpg

legoshow58.jpg

legoshow59.jpg

legoshow60.jpg

An oji-san (old man) I love the detail of the toe popping out of the sock

legoshow61.jpg

legoshow62.jpg

legoshow63.jpg

Li'l def in the Duplo pit

legoshow64.jpg

The "White City". The centre-piece of the show. The middle 'city' was pro-LEGO builders work, with two white trains circling around. The part coming out are an interactive part of the show. Kids (and families) can make buildings on a set baseplate, and they get added to the city. They started it last month at a shopping mall here as pre-promotion, and are continuing it here. I imagine that when the show ends next weekend, it will have become massive. This is a really unique thing I've never seen before, limiting the build to white. Sapporo is most famous for its snow festival in February, which has remarkable world class snow sculptures the size of small houses, so this seems an appropriate event to be held here. Really classy, and just typing this makes me wonder if I'll go back next week to see how it turns out.

legoshow65.jpg

legoshow66.jpg

legoshow67.jpg

There were lots of the big builds. I don't find these all that exciting myself, and didn't take many pics. I like mini-fig scale. They also had Darth Vadar, R2-D2, and the Cars characters who I don't know.

legoshow68.jpg

legoshow69.jpg

So, that's it! A fun time :sweet:

Wow ... Colour me impressed.

That's some fantastic stuff... Thanks for the close ups of the various build techniques ...

hehhe I want to be an Adult Funs of LEGO!

Some really fantastic builds, those fish were incredible. So many 1x1s... I need to get to an event this year. Great pictures, too. That shark...wow. The white city is an awesome idea, it really does look cool.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Wow... the fish and the whale shark are just insanely brilliant. I agree, the white city is amazing. I have seen Olafur Eliasson's white Lego interactive art piece (and played in it) but this white city that was built is just amazing.

Was all this done by the Hokkaido LUG (Or is there a Sapporo lug)?

Edited by lorax

Awesome. Looks like a good time. That White City is something else. I've never seen anything like that before. It would suck if those white pieces get discoloured :tongue:

Was all this done by the Hokkaido LUG (Or is there a Sapporo lug)?

I really don't know. The main MOCs were advertised as being done by きたブリ, which would be translated roughly as "north brick." There were about six profiles of builders.

But the city, I don't know. They couldn't have made that without the support of the company, could they? I'll look into it somewhat, if only because I'm interested in keeping up with the Japanese scene, but it's really a hassle for me to read Japanese. I can do it in general, but it's a little slow :blush:

<edit> No, North Brick was the exhibition name, not a group. More investigations to come :wink:

http://ameblo.jp/bricklabo/entry-11129233916.html

Thanks for looking it up Def. I would love to see more of their work, and I don't speak or read any Japanese, but seeing some of their work makes me want to learn.

Wow! The fish are incredible...I would kill to have an aquarium like that!

And the white city is also lovely!

But so is Sapporo in the winter when it is snow covered.

It would have been fun to see this exhibit in person. Wow!

*oh2*wow, whale shark! Thanks for posting.

The hiragana and katakana snot techniques are really nice, I bet that ship was based all around that detail.

Love the Yamato transport snowcat, is that a real vehicle? I really wanted to come for yukimatsuri but it is over Chinese New Year this year, so flights from HK are too expensive. Will try again next year :classic:

Love the Yamato transport snowcat, is that a real vehicle?

I'm guessing they all are, but I haven't seen them yet. I imagine in the more rural areas, they are a must.

I'm looking forward to the Snow Festival too, but I probably won't post the pictures here; not enough LEGO :laugh:

Thanks for the great coverage, def!

What an awesome event with so many fantastic builds!

As others have said, the white city and the fish are really amazing and I also want to point out the Hakodate micro city build that has an extraordinary detail that completely stunned me when I first saw it. So many cheese slopes, and everyone placed so perfect! :thumbup:

Wow! that Hakodate city is really a piece of hard work! and the fishes look so real! in fact i took the lego fair so literally that i was straining my eyes (not taht the photo is small) to check if the corals are also lego-made. :laugh:

that brick uncle on the bench is really well-made and to scale!