ReZourceman

The Future of Ninjago

I'm not trolling...I am supporting the continuing greatness of Lego. I am a 25+ year lover and fan of the product. If Ninjago is where you would like to see Lego move towards in the future, you must not truly enjoy the product. It is the anti-thesis.

You like the story? Lego is about giving YOU, the builder, command of the story; with your own creations. Subscribing to a Cartoon Network half-hour show and the CHEAP plastic toys it spawns goes against the very things that made Lego the perfect alternative to all those other lazy toys. Shame on you.

Nonsense. What you call "ridiculous" about Ninjago, I call "imaginative". I think it's wonderful that TLG isn't limiting their themes these days to real-world history and sci-fi or fantasy concepts that have already been tread by other writers thousands of times, but that instead they're telling original stories in a unique universe with complex characters.

You are welcome to prefer traditional LEGO themes to "story themes" like Ninjago, but that doesn't mean that fans of story themes are automatically less imaginative. After all, playing with Ninjago sets isn't limited to just re-enacting what you see on the TV show. Rather, fans are welcome to make up their own stories, and they do so. At the same time they make their own models to include in those stories. BIONICLE was the most heavily story-driven theme ever at the time it was introduced, but today there's an abundance of BIONICLE fan art, MOCs, and fan fiction on the internet depicting characters, species, settings, and situations never imagined in the "official" story.

If anything, a story theme is a source of inspiration that makes imaginative play more accessible to certain kids. And I think it's an insult to treat these kids who want inspiration outside what the encounter in real life as the "lowest common denominator". Just as it's rude in general to tell people, adults and kids alike, that there's only one right way to play with LEGO--after all, isn't it limiting their imagination to tell them that they shouldn't base their stories on those other people have written? I say this as a BIONICLE fan who for several years had just as much fun dreaming up creatures, characters, and situations for the BIONICLE universe as I ever had building giant castles and spacecraft or acting out stories about Aquanaut mermaids.

It's not like the presence of story themes has caused non-story themes to go away. Kingdoms was a good example of a very traditional Castle theme, even though it appeared in place of several much more heavily story-driven predecessors like Fright Knights, Knights' Kingdom I and II, and Fantasy-Era Castle. LEGO City has mini-movies showing adventures with the crooks and cops, but there's nothing telling kids they can't make up their own (and in fact I doubt I'd ever see a kid trying to perfectly re-enact these mini-movies even if they find them entertaining). Even LEGO Dino, as contrived as it is, currently has no named characters, no definite location (from all we can tell it's just "near the City"), and plenty of imaginative play opportunities.

So I don't see why you're so decidedly opposed to LEGO Ninjago. Themes have had named characters for years (see this post), and have been telling stories to inspire kids through TV commercials, books, and comics for just as long (I happen to own a Jim Spaceborn comic book from 1986). What makes a television show so much different?

Edited by Aanchir

So guys, don't feed the troll please. He can chat to staff if he has that much of an issue he feels the need to come in and complain more...

I am looking forward to what new ideas they can put into this theme. There is plenty of potential for development as I mentioned earlier and it will certainly carry on as for as long as it sells.

Also, it's just insulting children only use story themes to fit the story universe. Most of the kids I know who play with lego have no interest whatsoever and just want some fun with ninjas.

On an on-topic side note, I think the new wave is going to severely disappoint that group of kids.

I'm not trolling...I am supporting the continuing greatness of Lego. I am a 25+ year lover and fan of the product. If Ninjago is where you would like to see Lego move towards in the future, you must not truly enjoy the product. It is the anti-thesis.

You like the story? Lego is about giving YOU, the builder, command of the story; with your own creations. Subscribing to a Cartoon Network half-hour show and the CHEAP plastic toys it spawns goes against the very things that made Lego the perfect alternative to all those other lazy toys. Shame on you.

I mainly agree with Aanchir here:

This theme is creative. It goes against all standards set so far by other, similar themes (Ninjas from Castle) and goes in its very own direction, combining elements from some of my favorite themes (The living skeletons from Castle, the ninjas such as I mentioned before, the dragons of Castle, the ridiclously futuristic vehicles of Sci-Fi, etc, etc) and takes them in a completely new and unforseen direction. If you are 25+ years old as you say, would you not agree that you are using the method of speaking on this site to your advantage? Since you will never meet many of us in real life, you seem to think that you can say whatever you want to us, regardless of whether or not it is rude, and since we won't meet you, there are no consequences. Would you say things like you say on here to us in real life? I think not. But, back on topic: How exactly are the Ninjago toys in any way 'CHEAP plastic toys spawned by a TV series'? The toys are in NO WAY cheap to make, nor are they cheap to buy; yet regardlesss, they sell. And how is it going against 'what made Lego the perfect alternative to all those other lazy toys'? Do you want to know what makes LEGO? Not you, not the buyer. Not even the sets. No, what makes LEGO perfect is its perfect ability to be made into anything. Ninjago does not go against that any more than any other LEGO set. You can still make things from your imagination with it. It still encourages individuality, more than any CITY set could. I'm not ashamed of myself for loving this theme, and neither should anyone else. It is a beautiful idea, and a well executed one at that. LEGO outdid themselves here, and I say that they should continue. This theme is most likely going to remain for quite a while, so live with it. Go back to your quiet, conformed LEGO CITY and leave the rest of us to our own themes, no matter how radical.

Edited by Darth Nihilus

I really want aliens in Ninjago, that would be frickin' awesome! :sweet:

Without a doubt, yes!

Then Cole and the rest use flying saucers and stuff, and their armour is covered in spikes. I don't know, just suggesting ideas, :grin:

-Sci

Without a doubt, yes!

Then Cole and the rest use flying saucers and stuff, and their armour is covered in spikes. I don't know, just suggesting ideas, :grin:

-Sci

Perhaps they could wear the new Space Marine gear.

YES!

Then everything would turn all sci-fi. Like...ninja-star-shooting-gun sci-fi.

-Sci

Wonderful idea! That would be perfect! Also, here's another one:

The Green Ninja kills Garmadon, but since he's already undead, it just kills his mortal body and he returns again as a skeleton to get revenge on the Ninjas, this time bringing a larger army of more powerful skeletons created by merging new skeleton bodies with the immortal spirits of the previous Skeletons and Snakes, thus making a massive horde of now skeletons and Serpentine rising to defeat the ninja!

If Ninjago is where you would like to see Lego move towards in the future, you must not truly enjoy the product.

Who are you to tell us whether we truly enjoy the product or not?

You like the story? Lego is about giving YOU, the builder, command of the story; with your own creations.

You don't have to use the story... that's what Lego is all about!

I think the space marine idea is quite plausible.

Still, If they can have a flying boat, why not space ships :classic:

Edited by Lance

YES!

Then everything would turn all sci-fi. Like...ninja-star-shooting-gun sci-fi.

-Sci

I love it! Like I said before, Ninjago should keep crossing over into other themes, having 1 or 2 waves as it enters each. Off the top of my head, I can see excellent opportunities for interaction with Western, Pirates, Castle, and Space, with an Egypt-based theme as another possibility (so long as it isn't right before or after a Western line, that'd be too much sand at once! :tongue:). Not only would it be a cool continuation of the story, but given Ninjago's popularity the theme could serve as a sort of "gateway" into other Lego themes that kids might otherwise not play with.

I've never been a huge Ninjago fan, and am more of a LEGO traditionalist, but just dropping traditional Ninja and going full-out sci-fi with it would suit it much better. :sweet:

And c'mon, guys, stop typing huge long responses to Steve; that'll just make him reply more. :sadnew:

Edited by Napoleon53

I've never been a huge Ninjago fan, and am more of a LEGO traditionalist, but just dropping traditional Ninja and going full-out sci-fi with it would suit it much better. :sweet:

And c'mon, guys, stop typing huge long responses to Steve; that'll just make him reply more. :sadnew:

Apologies. I thought I should comment there because the story themes vs. traditional themes conflict is the first legitimate reason he's brought up for a person to dislike Ninjago, rather than meaningless criticisms like that "it's stupid" or "it's garbage" that don't address any specific problems with the theme. Hopefully if he does reply again his response will be at least somewhat thoughtful and civil. And if not, then we'll know for sure that he's just a troll and we needn't waste our time trying to reason with him.

As a fan of classic pirates, I pray to god the don't do a pirate type theme next year... :sick:

Of course it would; Sci-Fi makes everything better! :sweet:

Sorry, I just was voicing my opinion. :blush:

I agree, except for pirates, it certainly does. :excited:

Although, I was looking forward to purchasing a CMF Space Marine. I wonder how everyone and I would feel about the armor being mass produced... Difficult to say.

I love it! Like I said before, Ninjago should keep crossing over into other themes, having 1 or 2 waves as it enters each. Off the top of my head, I can see excellent opportunities for interaction with Western, Pirates, Castle, and Space, with an Egypt-based theme as another possibility (so long as it isn't right before or after a Western line, that'd be too much sand at once! :tongue:). Not only would it be a cool continuation of the story, but given Ninjago's popularity the theme could serve as a sort of "gateway" into other Lego themes that kids might otherwise not play with.

I thought of something else. Your time-and-space travelling ninja idea is plausible. Perhaps (as when 4 ninja combine tornados, they can create), when the 5 ninja combine tornados, they can timetravel. And, as in the first episode when the got their colored robes, when they spin, they get any new gear that they need for that mission. (E.G. spacesuits)

As for the story. You lack creativeness if you let the Lego story decide 'your' stories. They're a guideline. Nothing more nothing less.

Yesterday Bonezai, Nuckal and Chopov seized the city Fire Truck in an attempt to etinguish the fire dragon...

As for the story. You lack creativeness if you let the Lego story decide 'your' stories. They're a guideline. Nothing more nothing less.

Yesterday Bonezai, Nuckal and Chopov seized the city Fire Truck in an attempt to etinguish the fire dragon...

This must become a brickfilm. Now. :laugh:

Would you say things like you say on here to us in real life?

Of course I would. When I'm right, I'm right. Do you want my phone number? Perhaps we could meet for coffee if you live near Orange County, California?

Of course I would. When I'm right, I'm right. Do you want my phone number? Perhaps we could meet for coffee if you live near Orange County, California?

Stop now. Or you'll be having a chat with staff.

If you don't like this theme, fine. I'm not especially fond of some of the Ninjago sets either. Quite a few of them are <insert that tiresome argument> a little too much for my tastes, but that's not the point. You and LegoBrickSteve say that no-one likes Ninjago, but guess what? I have evidence that both kids and adults love it. I have 2 nephews and 2 nieces, ages 14, 11, 9, and 6. They all love Ninjago, and save up all their allowance for it and Collectible Minifigs. The workers at WalMart literally tell me when I walk into the store with them whether or not they have Ninjago left. That's how obsessed these four are with the theme. They know the storyline inside out. They could tell you the difference between Bonezai and Frakjaw in an instant, regardless of whether or not they can see the minifig. They are such fans, their parents (My sister and her husband) even grasp the basics of the storyline and theme! And literally, when I walked into Target the other day, they had every LEGO theme in stock except one. Ninjago. The kids cleared them out of Ninjago. Literally. So that, my friend, is where you and LegoBrickSteve are wrong. Ninjago is wildly successful, at least where I live.

Darth Nihilus

I wasn't saying that everyone hated it, I was merely saying that a few people I know agree that it's not the best theme ever, I also know people who do like it and I hadn't realised it was selling so well! I'm sorry if I offended anybody, I understand that lots of people like different things, if we all liked the same things we would be robots! (Then how could we build lego? :laugh: )

I just wanted to clear that up

oh and off topic a bit but I love your avatar! is that an official picture of lego Aragorn or is it a quick picture made by you? :classic: I saw it and thought it was real! :oh:

right, back on topic now!

if we all liked the same things we would be robots! (Then how could we build lego? :laugh: )

this is off-topic, but...*ahem*.

minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Bios/Robot.aspx

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OK, NOW we can go back on-topic. :tongue:

Darth Nihilus

I wasn't saying that everyone hated it, I was merely saying that a few people I know agree that it's not the best theme ever, I also know people who do like it and I hadn't realised it was selling so well! I'm sorry if I offended anybody, I understand that lots of people like different things, if we all liked the same things we would be robots! (Then how could we build lego? :laugh: )

Please note the complaints about trolling were not directed at you (specially the one you replied).

Darth Nihilus

I just wanted to clear that up

oh and off topic a bit but I love your avatar! is that an official picture of lego Aragorn or is it a quick picture made by you? :classic: I saw it and thought it was real! :oh:

right, back on topic now!

That's fine, most of my comments weren't directed at you anyway. :classic: But I do agree the theme has its flaws, just that they are not so large as some of us may want us to believe. And trust me, it's a small Target, so Ninjago doesn't have much shelf space to begin with. :laugh:

My avatar is the official LEGO Aragorn, yes. There's a link to the poster that I'm using in the LEGO Historic Themes forum, in the thread "Lord of the Rings 2012". I'm so totally in love with that figure. I'm even using it as a screensaver on my computer. :blush: