cei

REVIEW: 9493 X-Wing (2012)

Good review cei. Thank you.

I own 4502 and 6212 and I would like to add Porkins X-Wing to my Battle of Yavin Squadron. However, I cannot look past a few things. One is the orientation of the astromech socket. Why couldn’t the designer maintain the orientation as in the previous versions? Yes, I know the astromech’s head can be positioned as if it was looking forward, but it still bothers me that the astromech socket is incorrect. I may download the instructions to see if there is an easy mod, but with most mods a lot of readjusting may need to be done in order to correct the orientation of the astromech socket without compromising the structural stability of the ship.

The other thing I cannot look past is the fact that the Red Five marking is a sticker. It was a printed tile in 4502 and 6212. With the increase in cost one would think that the markings would be printed, even the 1x1 tile. I can see the engine intakes as being a sticker, maybe, but the markings??? C’mon LEGO, I expect better based on the cost. However, if I was to purchase this version I would use the Red Five marking from my 6212 since I use 6212 as Red Two for Wedge, and I can dig up a 1x1 red tile to make it Red Six for Porkins

Another minor thing I noticed is that Luke does not have the orange glare shield on his face like Porkins does. It’s not a big deal, just an observation.

On the positive side, the wing guns are better than 4502 and 6212 and the rear of the fuselage is more detailed. And you get Porkins and a new astromech. If I was new with SW LEGO I would purchase the new X-Wing without a doubt, but I might have to take my chances and BL Porkins and the new astromech, but the cost for them alone may leave me to do without.

Cei, if you can post pictures of the new X-Wing next to 4502 and/or 6212 it would be appreciated.

I own 4502 and 6212 and I would like to add Porkins X-Wing to my Battle of Yavin Squadron. However, I cannot look past a few things. One is the orientation of the astromech socket. Why couldn’t the designer maintain the orientation as in the previous versions? Yes, I know the astromech’s head can be positioned as if it was looking forward, but it still bothers me that the astromech socket is incorrect. I may download the instructions to see if there is an easy mod, but with most mods a lot of readjusting may need to be done in order to correct the orientation of the astromech socket without compromising the structural stability of the ship.

It looks to be a simple matter of removing the upper pair of red 1x4 SNOT bricks and replacing the white 2x3 wedges (among a few other surrounding parts) accordingly. I don't think it will make the set much weaker in that area...

Thanks for the review! Are you planning on reviewing the other sets you bought too? It would be much appreciated!

The BP sets have already been reviewed. I did take some of the TIE Fighter under construction, so I might see if there's enough for a review.

Good review cei. Thank you.

The other thing I cannot look past is the fact that the Red Five marking is a sticker. It was a printed tile in 4502 and 6212. With the increase in cost one would think that the markings would be printed, even the 1x1 tile. I can see the engine intakes as being a sticker, maybe, but the markings??? C’mon LEGO, I expect better based on the cost. However, if I was to purchase this version I would use the Red Five marking from my 6212 since I use 6212 as Red Two for Wedge, and I can dig up a 1x1 red tile to make it Red Six for Porkins

Another minor thing I noticed is that Luke does not have the orange glare shield on his face like Porkins does. It’s not a big deal, just an observation.

On the positive side, the wing guns are better than 4502 and 6212 and the rear of the fuselage is more detailed. And you get Porkins and a new astromech. If I was new with SW LEGO I would purchase the new X-Wing without a doubt, but I might have to take my chances and BL Porkins and the new astromech, but the cost for them alone may leave me to do without.

Cei, if you can post pictures of the new X-Wing next to 4502 and/or 6212 it would be appreciated.

Sorry, I won't be able to up any images of this X-Wing alongside the previous iterations as all my older Lego is in storage due to my new flat being too small - I only have late 2010 onwards here.

Totally agree on the sticker for the squadron markings - it was previously printed, so why go backwards? I'm probably going to get some off Bricklink and tweak it.

As for the astromech slot, changing it to the correct orientation is likely to mess with the construction a lot. It's one of the areas where Lego have used upside-down building techniques, and a 4-wide transverse slot is also going to break up the white tiles on the very top of the hull that help hold some bits down (cockpit hinges for one). If somebody can do it I'd be rather impressed.

The BP sets have already been reviewed. I did take some of the TIE Fighter under construction, so I might see if there's enough for a review.

Oops, just noticed those. They were on the 2nd page and I got a bit over zealous after seeing the X-wing review. Thanks again!

Thank you for a great review of the fantastic new set!

This is such a great new set with a much better looking X-wing than we have had before (not counting the UCS). The new figs are great to with the highlight being that lovely R5-D8 droid! That new droid head is stunning.

Great review. I too would like to see comparison/side by side pics of the old and new sets. I'm wondering how much effort it would be to change the old set to the new. Can't be that difficult. As far as the new set goes I was on the fence but I do think it looks better albeit the droid should be in the correct orientation. Coulda Shoulda.

Great review. I too would like to see comparison/side by side pics of the old and new sets. I'm wondering how much effort it would be to change the old set to the new. Can't be that difficult. As far as the new set goes I was on the fence but I do think it looks better albeit the droid should be in the correct orientation. Coulda Shoulda.

Just pop the legs off and cover up the gaps with tiles. I don't see why everyone keeps mentioning this...

Not sure if you mentioned this, but the opening/closing of the S-Foils are much different. Instead of turning the nozzle on like the ARC-170 star fighter which gradually opens, this one snaps into place at the cost of more effort. That's my only gripe about this set.

I would say that's an improvement. The worm gear system on 4502 is clunky and sluggish in comparison to the spring-loaded mechanisms on Hasbro X-wings.

I would say that's an improvement. The worm gear system on 4502 is clunky and sluggish in comparison to the spring-loaded mechanisms on Hasbro X-wings.

I guess its personal preference then. Lego has used the same opening wing concept from the first x-wing to the latest ARC-170 star fighter. I really don't like how the wings snap into position, even though in the movies, its shown as a smooth transition.

The wings of the X-wings in that scene were motorized, so a truly smooth and automated transition would take some heavy modding. Fortunately, there exist simpler solutions for less ambitious MOCers. :blush: As far as toys go, one would expect a quick and simple S-foil mechanism more suitable for play than a slow, messy one.

Edited by fallenangel309

Thanks for the review and it is great to see some different minifigs for the star wars range...not to mention to finally see Porkins with some nice new detail as well.

Thanks for he review, cei! I once owned an early X-Wing from around 2000, I don't know which one it was. But someone moved it into storage from my old room and now nobody knows where it is :( Very sad, as it's probably worth quite a bit of money these days. Anyway, I think this new one is a good replacement! Time to save more money and get some of these iconic ships!

That would be this one. It may not look like much now to the typical FOL, but it's still the best System X-wing set in my opinion. The fact that the old robot bodies allow the addition of a third leg is another plus.

Assuming you own the previous three X-Wing sets, would it be possible for you to do a comparison shot?

Great review!!!

What are the chances you have the previous itterations of the X-Wing (the Dagobah version and 6212)? I'd love to see a side by side comparison of the two!!

As I've already posted, I do own all the previous iterations of X-Wing, but my new flat is too small to hold my entire Lego collection (every SW set since 2004, plus stacks of modulars/trains), so I only have late 2010 and onwards here. I may be able to fetch the 2006 version in late January, but no promises. Sorry!

That would be this one. It may not look like much now to the typical FOL, but it's still the best System X-wing set in my opinion. The fact that the old robot bodies allow the addition of a third leg is another plus.

True, just checked the instruction booklet. At least I could save that one!

As I've already posted, I do own all the previous iterations of X-Wing, but my new flat is too small to hold my entire Lego collection (every SW set since 2004, plus stacks of modulars/trains), so I only have late 2010 and onwards here. I may be able to fetch the 2006 version in late January, but no promises. Sorry!

D'oh! Sorry. I missed that post. After going through the review, I was blazing through to hope that someone posted comparison pics. haha

I'll be reviewing the new Y-Wing on Saturday/Sunday though! (Well, if my local-ish Lego store has them that is)...

Thanks for the review, you've confirmed for me that it's basically the same.

Really? That's not what I got from it - it's more different from the previous ones than I'd realized.

Well, you certainly have a point, but.. why would people buy a new X-wing if the improvements are minimal? Don't get me wrong, apparently the people DO buy new sets which are only a little different from the previous one, but still. I wouldn't. Or they just want the R5-D8 unit as bad as I do. :laugh:

Or they're actually in the target market (i.e., young kids) for these sets, which means they might not have even started playing with LEGO or ever watched a Star Wars movie when 6212 first came out. They might not even have been born when 7140 came out. It's true that with the Star Wars theme in particular TLG takes adult fans into consideration, but the core customers are still kids.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I guess its personal preference then. Lego has used the same opening wing concept from the first x-wing to the latest ARC-170 star fighter. I really don't like how the wings snap into position, even though in the movies, its shown as a smooth transition.

Not "from the first x-wing". The very first X-Wing set (the only one I've owned) had no mechanism at all, and the wings were operated via click hinges. X-Wing sets have come a long way since then.

I think it's a bit silly to assume that TLG deliberately puts imperfections in sets just so that they can "improve" on them in the future. It's more likely from my perspective that they make the sets as good as they possibly can, hence why "improvements" from iteration to iteration are so minimal. Some might argue that no X-Wing set has been as good as possible, but usually examples provided of "better" X-Wings are MOCs that are concerned only with looks and (sometimes) functionality, but rarely with other important considerations TLG designers have to work with such as cost, ease of building for kids within the target age range, and play value.