Sign in to follow this  
Tung T. Le

Ninjago Booster Packs - 9551, 9552, & 9553

Just got back from Toys R Us from Orlando, FL USA. Browsing around hoping to find new release sets, and behold! They had three boxes of Ninjago Booster Packs. They were set up like the collectable minifgures box. One box for each character. Of couse I bought all three plus one extra Kendo Cole.. They were going for $5.99 each, seems a bit pricey, could be Toys R Us' mark up, but whatever, didn't mind paying for having something no one else had out at the time.

So these were booster packs, meaning you can mod your spinners for Ninjago. You can add chains and blades that to the spinners and I guess armor type stuff. Not really into the spinner concept (of course it being for the younger crowd). I was really in it for new characters. Well enough explaining.. here are pictures.. and also in the instruction fold out, it had some pictures of new sets besides the other Ninjago sets with vehicles. Exciting!

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Didnt understand the reason for a 'Lloyd Garmadon' until I realized it was Lord Garmadon's son possibly? I saw the shorter legs and I was like oooooh I get it now.

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

Tung T. Le, nice preview of these booster packs. May I ask if there is any different with the LEGO Ninjago characters inside this pack? What I meant is, does the armpit of the minifigures contain the "mark". I just want to be sure first. :blush:

I hope the pricing will not be too dear though, but I figured it will be priced similar or slightly lower against those spinners.

Tung T. Le, nice preview of these booster packs. May I ask if there is any different with the LEGO Ninjago characters inside this pack? What I meant is, does the armpit of the minifigures contain the "mark". I just want to be sure first. :blush:

I hope the pricing will not be too dear though, but I figured it will be priced similar or slightly lower against those spinners.

if the mark you're talking about under arms, there are 'LEGO' embossed under each arm.

if the mark you're talking about under arms, there are 'LEGO' embossed under each arm.

I refer to the similar mark that was found in the Ninjago spinners and Collectable Minifigures. It ought to be a part number or something like that, never thought I could think there is a word, "LEGO" in it.

Great review of these packs. I am really looking forward to a cheap way to getting these cool minifigs. I believe that mSRP on these is $4.99, so TRU has a one dollar mark-up.

I refer to the similar mark that was found in the Ninjago spinners and Collectable Minifigures. It ought to be a part number or something like that, never thought I could think there is a word, "LEGO" in it.

If you want to know if they are Chinese or not, lack of printing on the neck also means that a minifig is made in China.

So these are actually add ons for the existing spinners?

For almost 6 dollars thingly pricey. But at least you can get some cool figs (which ones? lol) and parts without getting the daft vehicles.

Edited by horizon

If you look at the back of the packs, the ninjas don't seem to have parts made in China, but Lloyd Garmadon does, possibly because he has a cape and they are made in China.

Edited by Brickus

Thanks for the preview of these booster packs 'Tung T. Le'.....dam, Lloyd looks like a wuss while the ninjas look cool. :wink: At least I know what to buy if my son is invited to any of his friends birthday parties next year.....one of these booster packs.

Spin On ! :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

Wait a minute! There is a brick missing from Llyod pack! The orange stand for the spinner!

Lego+Ninjago+9552+Lloyd+Garmadon.jpg

But there is even no mention for it on pack!

Thanks for showing them to us! I will get a Lloyd for sure- he is so adorable!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Cole and Jay are epic with the new pieces. Lloyd Garmadon is...different, but I'm digging the new black short legs!

, '

Thanks for these pictures! I greatly appreciate the photo of Kendo Cole, because the pic of him I'd seen previously on Flickr had misaligned face-shield printing. It's good to know that this isn't always the case with this fig!

Lloyd's design is hilarious, the way he has what looks to be a long-sleeved t-shirt that's just painted with the ribcage pattern of his daddy. Lloyd's such a poser! :laugh:

The weapons of the other two are of course also cool. Golden-bladed chainsaw!

These look really cool! Thanks for the review, unfortunately I don't have a toys'R'us very close, however I have a trip today that takes me near one.

Thanks for the review! I was wondering if you could show off the new cards. :cry_happy:

Yes, the cards are a must! Ninjago spinners are the thing that got me into SYSTEM sets to begin with, previously it was just BIONICLE, Hero Factory, and TECHNIC. I must know if these characters are worthy editions to my battle deck! :devil:

Yes, the cards are a must! Ninjago spinners are the thing that got me into SYSTEM sets to begin with, previously it was just BIONICLE, Hero Factory, and TECHNIC. I must know if these characters are worthy editions to my battle deck! :devil:

I actually don't open the cards.. lol.. I have several sealed packs from other Ninjago sets as well..

Thank you for the review! Jay's golden weapon is pretty sweet!

Lloyd's torso might have been useful if it weren't for the '5' :sceptic:

Thanks for the review, Tung T. Le. I was really interested in seeing better pics of these sets.

On another note, could you please reduce the pics size to 800 pixels maximum, as per our Member Guidelines? Thank you.

Good to see those boosters unpackaged. Nice selection of pieces, weapon elements and figures. Although my favourite of the ninja-bunch, Cole, is among them only as a kendo sparring version. Shame! His new regular appearance would be perfect for my tastes (*sigh* So I'll have to pick up either the costly big sets on clearance or duplicates of the new spinner starter set...).

I anticipated Lloyd's torso very much and I agree it's a shame he's got that faint "5" on it. Perhaps some careful "brasso"-eing could help here? The new shorter cape and his face make up for that in some way. And some see-weed elements and the new golden snake give me the extra incentive to check him out.

Jay looks solid and as it's a cheap source of getting him and he sports the new "sai" piece, a golden chainsaw blade and several other nifty cuttingy (scnr) instruments, he'll be a no-brainer for sure.

Thanks for letting us in on the booster goodness!

Be well!

Cutty

Thank you for the review! Jay's golden weapon is pretty sweet!

Lloyd's torso might have been useful if it weren't for the '5' :sceptic:

Why so? I think the "5" seems like something that would certainly fit on a T-shirt like he's wearing. Without the 5, the torso would be close to identical to Lord Garmadon's, except with non-metallic printing.

Why so? I think the "5" seems like something that would certainly fit on a T-shirt like he's wearing. Without the 5, the torso would be close to identical to Lord Garmadon's, except with non-metallic printing.

I can see where you're coming from, yet that torso, even as similar as it is to Garmadon's, loses a lot of it's usefulness on a global scale. That tiny little "5" will tie it to the Ninjago-theme always.

And you said it yourself: "close to identical" which means "not identical" and "it's a variation of the predecessor" as an implication. And when it comes to torso-prints variation is key. Vanilla Lloyd's torso is thus intrinsically flawed, and if only by such a little "5".

Be well!

Cutty

I can see where you're coming from, yet that torso, even as similar as it is to Garmadon's, loses a lot of it's usefulness on a global scale. That tiny little "5" will tie it to the Ninjago-theme always.

And you said it yourself: "close to identical" which means "not identical" and "it's a variation of the predecessor" as an implication. And when it comes to torso-prints variation is key. Vanilla Lloyd's torso is thus intrinsically flawed, and if only by such a little "5".

Be well!

Cutty

How does the 5 tie it to Ninjago? Overlaid numbers and other graphics on T-shirts are common in real life. Many of TLG's official T-shirts in the "LEGO Wear" line have almost too many overlaid graphics to handle. Personally I think the real limiting factor is the belt, as few people wear belts over t-shirts like that.

What were you planning on using it for if it didn't have the 5? It couldn't be used for anything but a t-shirt or sweatshirt anyway because of the collar print. And I'd think any use of it where the t-shirt look gets in the way could just use Lord Garmadon's.