View Article

LEGO Community Team Dude Kevin Hinkle passed on word to the Ambassadors from the LDD design team:

"LDD will be updated on Jan 17th, to reflect the closure of DbM [Design byMe] and LU [LEGO Universe]. Since we are not constrained by the bricks available in either the picking location for DbM and the game for LU, we can broaden the amount of bricks available. People will still have the same possibility to document and share their LEGO models; we will substitute the DbM and LU themes with 2 LDD specific themes working in the same way, just with more bricks. Since the users can no longer order the model through DbM, we will add a list of bricks in a given model to the generated HTML building guide; that way people can use the list to find the bricks they need to build the model physically."

Nevermind Christmas or New Years, the 17th is the day I'm most looking forward to. Hopefully when they say more they mean almost all.

When you open LDD and see the four existing modes, the "2 [remaining] LDD specific themes working in the same way" must be "Mindstorms" and "LDDextended". I hope that the LDD software engineers have been heeding the Eurobricks Wanted Bricks in LDD" topic, because we can add LOTS MORE desired items.... :tongue: Only 5-1/2 weeks of waiting remain until LDD 5.0 is released!

When you open LDD and see the four existing modes, the "2 [remaining] LDD specific themes working in the same way" must be "Mindstorms" and "LDDextended". I hope that the LDD software engineers have been heeding the Eurobricks Wanted Bricks in LDD" topic, because we can add LOTS MORE desired items.... :tongue: Only 5-1/2 weeks of waiting remain until LDD 5.0 is released!

It won't be 5.0. It will only be a minor update where the old DbM and Universe themes are replaced.

I don't understand -- I thought LDD was updated every year (usually in October), and that TLG was merely delaying until January 17, 2012 to eliminate the DbM option. What's holding up the release of LDD 5.0? LDD 4 has been in use for 13 months. Are they never going to incorporate your LDD Manager (which can create Parts Lists)?

I don't understand -- I thought LDD was updated every year (usually in October), and that TLG was merely delaying until January 17, 2012 to eliminate the DbM option. What's holding up the release of LDD 5.0? LDD 4 has been in use for 13 months. Are they never going to incorporate your LDD Manager (which can create Parts Lists)?

As is mentioned in the first post, the updated LDD will generate parts lists along with its HTML building guides. But frankly, LDD manager is mostly a resource for AFOLs, particularly AFOLs who use Bricklink. Chances are that an official LDD update will be more geared towards buying via Pick-A-Brick.

Anyway, just because LDD has been updated yearly for two or three years doesn't mean we can assume that this release schedule is set in stone. I imagine that the ending of LEGO Universe and Design byME has changed things a bit, but it may not be the only reason that no LDD 5.0 is immediately over the horizon.

Remember that part of the reason Design byME is being cancelled is that it was difficult for kids to understand. And if the LDD interface has anything to do with that then naturally the LDD team might be interested in taking some additional time to make sure their next full version update makes things better and not worse.

This is good news that they are going to keep LDD going considering the loss of DbM and Lego Universe. I will be looking forward to early January since this update will be right after my birthday.

How do you mean?

Oh you know, like these.

My little shortcut modules on the side screen - only accessed within the particular theme (dbm, universe, mindstorms, extended) they were saved in. Can I access them if the themes are wiped away, or do I need to back them up and save them as proper .LXFs?

Nevermind though, rid myself of that pestilence. was thrilled when that was added because that meant I didn't have to hang on to enormous cut and paste idea .LXFs, but honestly it's a nuisance either way

This is really good news. I kinda assumed that Lego would either expand LDD as a program, or quit working on it all together. I am really glad that they are keeping the program, and even updating it with more bricks. Hopefully this will also open the door for some more LDD specific features also, for those of us who really like CAD.

Nice. Can't wait for the new bricks. :drool: The breakdown of brick availability in sets is a nice touch, too.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried.

I hope they didn't had any problems that would make the update came later than expected.