Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

The mad scientist set has really grown on me. I remember that when people asked me what I wanted to be in about second grade I would say a mad scientist. I'm going to the Victor Lego store tomorrow, so I might pick it up there. I'll probably do a review of it when my current reviewer's academy review is done.

I also like the concept of the mad scientist set, but I feel that the execution is just a little lackluster. It's not terrible, but what the devil is up with that car?

I also like the concept of the mad scientist set, but I feel that the execution is just a little lackluster. It's not terrible, but what the devil is up with that car?

Additionally, I really don't like how small the set is all together. That's probably what is preventing me from picking up the set currently. :sceptic:

Y'know this whole theme is growing on me. The hearse looks nice and every time I look at the haunted house, the more I want it. Maybe I'll make a garage in the theme of the haunted house for the hearse.

Additionally, I really don't like how small the set is all together. That's probably what is preventing me from picking up the set currently. :sceptic:

I built it recently, while the car is certainly strange and squat, the bulk of the set is pretty cool. The lightning rod on top, to the laser beam below, it has an almost steampunk look to it. That whole tower is cool and the light brick really adds a lot. I recommend getting it.

I don't think I've seen one positive comment about that set. Maybe I'll pick up two.

All the sets from this line look cool, but the mad scientist is the only set I plan on picking up, besides some of the small sets. I like the Frankenstein minifigure!

I don't think I've seen one positive comment about that set. Maybe I'll pick up two.

All the sets from this line look cool, but the mad scientist is the only set I plan on picking up, besides some of the small sets. I like the Frankenstein minifigure! A classic.

Don't know if anyone has already put this information up but Monster Fighter sets are now up on the Argos website. I've reserved the hearse and picking it up Monday (I can't wait). No sign of the swamp monster set yet though

Argos actually has all the sets but if you're online just put in LEGo Monster instead of Lego monster fighters.

If you put in the second option you won't see The swamp creature set or the zombies.

incidentally i like the prices! And the castle is awesome. I might buy more when they do 3 for 2. I wonder what price the Manbat figure goes for on bricklink.

For those that are considering buying 9466, ya might wanna look at this... :sceptic:

Bluebeard, out-

:hmpf_bad: That was only MF sets I was planing on getting. I think I'll wait a couple months to pick it up.

It turns out my set has the same issue. After doing the flashlight test. I didn't even notice a difference in the bricks either. I wouldn't let it stop you from buying the set...just don't build with a flashlight and you'll be fine.

For those that are considering buying 9466, ya might wanna look at this... :sceptic:

Wow, what a bunch of brainless fools in that comment stream. One set bought by one person has insufficient dye in some of the parts of one colour, and apparently "the quality of the plastic is poor" "Don't buy 9466, all those sets are poor quality" "Don't buy Monster Fighters, all the sets are poor quality" "All Lego released at the moment is poor quality" "I assume the sand green in the castle is identically affected" "All the swamp creatures have off printing" "Lego is no better than M*gabl*ks despite more expensive" etc etc... :hmpf:

Claims that quality is going downhill and you never have problems with pieces from 70s are balls. Ever heard of yellowing? Leave any Lego in the sun for 10 minutes and it would go yellow. Doesn't do it these days. Claims the old pieces never break, and old minifigs never have problems are also balls. Torsos and arms used to crack, all the joints would go loose and refuse to hold a pose. Heads would refuse to be removed from helmets and hairpieces. Plates could not be separated, and would crack easily. Clips broke easily.

I don't have the Frankestein's monster set, but I have 4 of the others from this line and have noticed NO problems with printing (including the swamp creature), translucency/opacity, colour consistency, brick softness/brittleness, clutch power too much/little, instructions wrong/difficult to read/scrunched... I paid reasonable money for excellent products. If anything, in general Lego is higher quality than it ever has been. Printing of minifigs is amazing, far better than it ever was before. True, every now and then something not-so-good creeps in, (eg pink Kingdoms knights, problems with early CMFs, ripped instructions, off-printing, incorrect gold bars, inconsistent colour: brown had a real issue for a little while) but TLG ALWAYS provides excellent customer service and fixes the problems.

So to sum up, don't hold off buying anything because of this. In the unlikely event of you receiving something you deem as not-good-enough, contact TLG's customer service and they fix it for free. What do you have to lose?

It turns out my set has the same issue. After doing the flashlight test. I didn't even notice a difference in the bricks either. I wouldn't let it stop you from buying the set...just don't build with a flashlight and you'll be fine.

There you go, it's not even that bad. :thumbup: Edited by Artanis I

I definitely would not want to pay twenty more dollars on a set just to have the proper dye on the bricks as some have commented in that discussion. They treat LEGO as if their the only ones that cut back when other companies like Hasbro are far worse. As for the set itself, I had no plan of getting the Mad scientist and the Monster but this has nothing to do with it. The upcoming Zombie set has more pieces, better minifigs, and is ten dollars cheaper. Not to mention the monster is just a glorified zombie in my opinion.

I have 4 of the others from this line and have noticed NO problems with printing (including the swamp creature)

Well I'm glad that they fixed that problem

Wow, what a bunch of brainless fools in that comment stream. One set bought by one person has insufficient dye in some of the parts of one colour, and apparently "the quality of the plastic is poor" "Don't buy 9466, all those sets are poor quality" "Don't buy Monster Fighters, all the sets are poor quality" "All Lego released at the moment is poor quality" "I assume the sand green in the castle is identically affected" "All the swamp creatures have off printing" "Lego is no better than M*gabl*ks despite more expensive" etc etc... :hmpf:

Claims that quality is going downhill and you never have problems with pieces from 70s are balls. Ever heard of yellowing? Leave any Lego in the sun for 10 minutes and it would go yellow. Doesn't do it these days. Claims the old pieces never break, and old minifigs never have problems are also balls. Torsos and arms used to crack, all the joints would go loose and refuse to hold a pose. Heads would refuse to be removed from helmets and hairpieces. Plates could not be separated, and would crack easily. Clips broke easily.

I don't have the Frankestein's monster set, but I have 4 of the others from this line and have noticed NO problems with printing (including the swamp creature), translucency/opacity, colour consistency, brick softness/brittleness, clutch power too much/little, instructions wrong/difficult to read/scrunched... I paid reasonable money for excellent products. If anything, in general Lego is higher quality than it ever has been. Printing of minifigs is amazing, far better than it ever was before. True, every now and then something not-so-good creeps in, (eg pink Kingdoms knights, problems with early CMFs, ripped instructions, off-printing, incorrect gold bars, inconsistent colour: brown had a real issue for a little while) but TLG ALWAYS provides excellent customer service and fixes the problems.

So to sum up, don't hold off buying anything because of this. In the unlikely event of you receiving something you deem as not-good-enough, contact TLG's customer service and they fix it for free. What do you have to lose?

There you go, it's not even that bad. :thumbup:

This. So much this. So many supposed fans of LEGO are so quick to foretell the end of LEGO based on one-off problems that it almost seems like they can't wait for the company to go out of business. It's like they think LEGO's ultimate goal is to screw over all of its customers, when in reality I've found that they have one of the best Customer Service departments of any company I've interacted with. They genuinely listen to fan concerns, and in fact maintain a healthy presence in the community. But too often it seems that "fans" would rather ward off other customers with stories of doom and gloom than actually consult with customer service and try to get problems fixed. Even the best quality control will occasionally let an issue slip by, especially a company as large as LEGO has become. But problems that do slip by can be caught by fans, if they let the company know as soon as they detect a problem instead of trying to incite mass panic in the fan community.

Personally, I wasn't planning to get this set anyway, since trying to collect the entire Monster Fighters theme would surely break the bank. I'm limiting my wanted sets to the Vampyre Castle and possibly one or two other sets, like The Zombies or The Swamp Creature. Although that Haunted House looks pretty good, as well...

The one thing I really like about 9466 (besides the figures) is the red light-brick and the monster's table. That is the reason I really want that set (besides getting it to complete the Monster Fighters collection, which I will eventually). :sweet:

Bluebeard, out-

Boo frickin' hoo. Really? People are resorting to torches to have somethign to nit pick? The brick looks fine until you shine a light through it despite the fact it's for, you know, building? Whiners gonna whine. Lets leave it at that ok?

Boo frickin' hoo. Really? People are resorting to torches to have somethign to nit pick? The brick looks fine until you shine a light through it despite the fact it's for, you know, building? Whiners gonna whine. Lets leave it at that ok?

From now on, I shall call you PAM - Peppermint the Antagonistic Moderator! :laugh:

Seriously though, I must be the only one who can't tell the difference between the low-quality "Chinese" bricks and the standard ones. Even after seeing it pointed out that way, I still don't think I would notice. What's the fuss about?

So yesterday when I was at the Lego store, I saw the Ghost Train, remembered it was my favorite MF set, and decided to buy that instead. It is a pretty nice set. The flick fire missiles on the plane are awful. They look like they were just slapped on. For some reason, it was really hard to find individual pieces in the pile. That was probably because most of them are black or because I was half asleep when I built it.

From now on, I shall call you PAM - Peppermint the Antagonistic Moderator! :laugh:

Seriously though, I must be the only one who can't tell the difference between the low-quality "Chinese" bricks and the standard ones. Even after seeing it pointed out that way, I still don't think I would notice. What's the fuss about?

Eh, I can't either. It just seems to be the norm to blame China when they see stuff like this. Even when theres no proof that that brick came from. I think Nabii over at Brickset said it best.

Posted by Nabii in Denmark, 20 Jun 2012 15:18

Current 2x4 bricks are thinner walled then those made about 5 years ago, this led to more consistent clutch power and in natural light they are suppossed to look the same, but of course if you back light them they will be more transparent - in any colour. I'd like to know if the 1x2 or 2x2 had similar issues. Either way if you are not happy, call consumer services.

One thing though - not one of these is made in China.

So yesterday when I was at the Lego store, I saw the Ghost Train, remembered it was my favorite MF set, and decided to buy that instead. It is a pretty nice set. The flick fire missiles on the plane are awful. They look like they were just slapped on. For some reason, it was really hard to find individual pieces in the pile. That was probably because most of them are black or because I was half asleep when I built it.

I absolutely love the ghost train now that it's all built and assembled on my drawer. Though i have to disagree - the flickfires look rather well placed on the model to me.

Today I got the 10228 build. Within 3 hours I was all ready and has a nice set but not for 180 euros. Oh I was a Lego exhibition in Germany.

I absolutely love the ghost train now that it's all built and assembled on my drawer. Though i have to disagree - the flickfires look rather well placed on the model to me.

I think there have certainly been far worse offenders: this is just terrible looking to me. :sick: And I definitely seen others that are just as bad, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

Flick-fires pretty much never look right.

I think there have certainly been far worse offenders: this is just terrible looking to me. :sick: And I definitely seen others that are just as bad, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

Flick-fires pretty much never look right.

Aesthetically those are pretty dismal, yes, but I think that rapid fire technic mechanism make sup for that. :sweet:

They just look too large and blocky to be on a plane's wings. I think a couple of these under the wings would have looked much better.

Edited by Sid Sidious