The Real Indiana Jones

[MOC] Indiana Jones and the Map Room at Tanis (using micro-scale)

I did this MOC two years ago, when they announced that Indy was ending... The new-style keffiyah did not exist, so use your imagination!

This shows the Map Room at Tanis, with the scale model of the city laid out in micro-scale for Indy to investigate. As an archaeologist, I had a lot of fun recreating various real architectural elements in Lego Digital Designer, and this was definitely inspired by the first few waves of micro-scale "Architecture" sets.

The overall layout of the city is based on real Egyptian temple complexes and cities, here with mud-brick pueblo-style houses, silos, ovens, kilns, etc. The central Avenue of Sphinxes and pool is based on the entrance to Temple of Karnak near Luxor. The Well of Souls is designed after Egyptian Pylon Temples, with some elements from recreations of the Temple of Solomon which was in Jerusalem and since destroyed. The objects in the front are actually micro-scale palm trees, with anime hairpieces painted dark green, to complete the scene! =)

Comments and crit are welcome... Please enjoy!

5586881277_577ee10427_b.jpg

5587478370_68cddfcee0_b.jpg

5586886799_a6d77088d7_b.jpg

5587483996_5e3efb0854_b.jpg

5587486998_9274734e86_b.jpg

5586895291_550b584219_b.jpg

5586898029_7f970d645f_b.jpg

5587494876_9d1e447efd_b.jpg

5586903423_fb5a0cc549_b.jpg

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Good job! I've seen some of your older IJ creations and you are very good at making those!

Thanks from shearing! :thumbup:

Edited by Silverface

So....much.....pearl.....GOLD! :cry_happy::wub:

Nice job on cutting the Ninjago(?) hood and painting the EXO-Force hairpieces green. Those really do look like palm trees! :sweet:

I wouldn't do that to my EXO-Force hair though. :blush:

Great job The Real Indiana Jones :thumbup: :thumbup:, I love the use of Exo Force hair for palm leaves. The Sphinxes are great, I also love this scale.

Nice work! The city looks nice and detailed. The only thing I don't like is the Indy fig. First of all, he's way too small in proportion to the city, and secondly, I'm not a big fan of custom parts, so I don't like the staff and the modified headgear. Same goes for the Exo Force hair. I'd say take out the Indy fig, and you'll have an excellent MOC. :classic:

So....much.....pearl.....GOLD! :cry_happy::wub:

You call that a lot of pearl gold? :sceptic: I've seen official sets with more gold than this, not to mention other MOCs such as this.

Great job, :thumbup: I've often thought I would like to make this scene myself but alas I don't own enough tan.

I really like your staff of Ra.

Edited by Praiter Yed

...First of all, he's way too small in proportion to the city...

Indy in the Map Room at Tanis.jpg

In the movie, the miniature buildings are between one or two feet tall or a little more, and the whole city is about thirty feet lengthwise or so, so the scale is actually fairly close.

And what it comes down to, is that it is impossible to make Indy larger, and it is impossible to make most of the buildings much smaller, so this is the best solution in Lego.

Again, it is not intended to be an exact recreation of the movie. I just thought it would be fun to create an Architecture set with a minifig at "King Kong scale" or "Godzilla scale" =)

Amazing job! The detail is spectacular, from the water to the tiny huts. Great work.

P.S. Has it already been two years since the IJ line ended? :sad:

In the movie, the miniature buildings are between one or two feet tall or a little more, and the whole city is about thirty feet lengthwise or so, so the scale is actually fairly close.

True, but the thing that I have a problem with is the main temple which looks like it's taller than Indy, and I don't think that's right. But if you weren't going for accuracy, that's OK, I guess. :classic:

True, but the thing that I have a problem with is the main temple which looks like it's taller than Indy, and I don't think that's right. But if you weren't going for accuracy, that's OK, I guess. :classic:

Yes, but remember that in the LEGO System, cherries are as big as fists, and a 747 jet plane is as wide as three carrots are long!!! *huh*:wacko::laugh:

Can anyone think of more funny examples of whacked-out scale? :classic:

The hair palm trees are incredible! :laugh: Your username really fits well with your great creations! :thumbup:

Edited by Hiawatha

Yes, but remember that in the LEGO System, cherries are as big as fists, and a 747 jet plane is as wide as three carrots are long!!! *huh*:wacko::laugh:

Can anyone think of more funny examples of whacked-out scale? :classic:

... and wands are as long as baseball bats. :laugh:

Once again you've lived up to your name, and also made another great scene that I wish Lego had made. :thumbup:

While the scale is not completely accurate, I don't think any other scale would really work.

The choice of colours is very good, too, and the Staff of Ra looks really nice. :wub:

You call that a lot of pearl gold? :sceptic: I've seen official sets with more gold than this, not to mention other MOCs such as this.

Don't be childish now Oky! :hmpf_bad: He was just trying to be nice that's all! :sceptic:

Don't be childish now Oky! :hmpf_bad: He was just trying to be nice that's all! :sceptic:

Ah well, the Egyptians loved to cover their furniture in gold, but their architecture was usually just plain limestone and paint.

And artistically, I wanted the lapis-lazuli-blue elements and the golden elements to be in balance, in quintessentially Egyptian style.

Actually, the blue tiles were way more expensive than the gold! The pool has a zig-zag pattern of trans-medium-blue and trans-dark-blue tiles over a classic-blue plate, to get that nice translucent lacquered or layered effect. In fact, those trans-medium-blue tiles are so rare, that officially they do not exist!

225px-Lapis_lazuli_block.jpg

And the whole thing only cost about $100, so we should judge it in the more humble "less than $100" class for MOC-vs-MOC contests. :laugh:

Fortune and Glory,

Indy Out

Beautiful work here! I love the Indy movies and this is a fairly accurate depiction of the scene (minus the stone walls with glyphs carved into them, of course). That micro city looks great! :sweet:

Very Fantastic! I'm a hugh Indiana Jones fan and one of my favorit Scene is the maproom of Tanis.

I have a question: How did you make the headpeace of RE? :classic:

Very great Moc. Thank you for sharing :wink: