iKonoKlasT

Support the bringing back of Cafe Corner and Market Street

It's like the CMs. The make different variations on already released figs. If the modulars keep coming, there's bound to be another or similar building to one already made.

And Yucca Patrol, thats a great story. Don't most of us have jobs? We would ba able to afford the discontued sets on Bricklink or Ebay, while children have to save up their money. If you want a discontinued set so bad, just use your money to buy it one Bricklink or Ebay and not buy anything else. Very Simple, Huh? I hope I made sense.

With all I said, I won't vote to bring back the Modulars. Sorry.

Frankly, I think Lego should not waste their resource's on reissuing these sets. I think Lego should make new sets. I don't think Lego should go the route of Transformers, with collectors thinking G1 (in this case the modulars) is everything Lego should be and dissing on newer sets because they aren't like the modulars.

That's very true.. Even if TLG re-released them in a brown paper bag without instructions i would still jump at the chance to get hold of a Cafe Corner default_tong.gif

That's all I want, a brown paper bag with the parts! I don't need the instructions or box either!

Andy D

Personally I'd rather see Lego spend time and effort on designing the next modular building, it's almost impossible to claim a lego set is a first edition, as the bricks can be taken apart, split up, etc. It's not like a book where the pages and the cover is stuck on.

those that want this set, get your money out on Ebay/bricklink!

It's a thumbs down from me :thumbdown:

When you've bought a set just because you wanted to build it you should have no problem with others having it too, right?

- Sok.

I don't get the argument some are putting forth concerning the fact that Lego should put effort on developing new products instead of wasting their time with older sets.

I hope you know that everything is already designed and the only "effort" is to put those old sets back into production, which is the shorter time-consuming phase when developing a set.

Anyway, even if we get someday the 10.000 supporters for the project, Lego will always have the last word on it. Don't worry greedy sellers...

Edited by iKonoKlasT

Call me an idealist, but I think LEGO is for building and playing, not investing. But let's just make everyone happy and change the box for the re-release, or even slightly modify the set. I don't care, I just want a Cafe Corner, and I know lots of other builders of many ages want it too.

I'll call you guys idealists, but I'll call myself a capitalist LOL :laugh:

I've stocked up on Fire Brigades with every intention of selling them once it's out of production. There are people willing to pay 2-3x MSRP for these guys once they're out of production, after all. The market sets the price.

That, and those things are good MOC parts packs.

Edited by wooootles

I don't get the argument some are putting forth concerning the fact that Lego should put effort on developing new products instead of wasting their time with older sets.

I hope you know that everything is already designed and the only "effort" is to put those old sets back into production, which is the shorter time-consuming phase when developing a set.

Anyway, even if we get someday the 10.000 supporters for the project, Lego will always have the last word on it. Don't worry greedy sellers...

I don't think that re-releasing old sets is wasting time, but after all, every set that Lego releases consumes resources (factory and consumers), and I think that none of us would like Lego to stop releasing new designs because of going back too much. Sure, it would be nice to have these sets re-released, but considering they were released not that long ago, I think that it is preferable for Lego to re-release older sets that have been suggested and, apart from that, focus mainly on new projects.

Yes, indeed, where does it stop?

There are many fans of other discontinued themes and sets too. If the guys in favour of this reissue get their way, then suddenly there are fifty "Support the bricking back of XXXX and YYYY" petitions.

And yes, there would be wasted resources: TLG would be spending a chunk of its production on manufacturing and packaging of old sets with what is (although it may not seem it to those who don't have them) limited demand, just so collectors who crave completeness don't have to spend a set or two's worth of extra money to get an older set.

Really, guys, if the set means that much to you, PAY the extra money!

If you don't want to, then obviously it doesn't. I'd rather you pay $500 than TLG diverts $5 million from new set production.

Consider too, if TLG does start remaking already designed sets, then it needs fewer designers...

Sorry, Jamie Berard, you're out of a job!

Here's a perfect example why i think it is absolutely wrong for adults to hoard a children's toy with the intention of selling it at a huge markup once it is discontinued.

I take issue with this...

The child who had saved his pennies is really a random example that shouldn't determine whether someone buys sets as an investment or not. The store could have already sold out before a hoarder arrived, or the store could still have 20 more in stock out the back. The child could have finished his saving a week before, or a week after. It's all dependent on inventory levels at a given time.

If the store had sold out, the nice mother could easily have taken the now anxious boy to any of a dozen other toy shops in the area who probably still had stock. In the unlikely event nowhere in the city had stock, now's the time for the mother to introduce Johnny to the delights of online shopping. "Oh, and look, we got it for a discount off the RRP because they had a 20% sale, so now you can afford ANOTHER set!"

Don't forget, if toys really are that popular with children, the manufacturer makes more. Take the example of Toy Story. Toy shops didn't think the movie would be as successful as it was and didn't order much stock for the Christmas following the movie's release.

Big mistake. Massive demand, massive shortages. And it had nothing whatsoever to do with those despicable hoarders. The real reason - unanticipated demand - is even referenced by Barbie in Toy Story 2. But for the following Christmas and every one following, shelves have been overflowing with Toy Story merchandise. They learnt of the demand and made more.

For LEGO, the whole reason sets are discontinued is that because they become stale. The line has run its course and the majority of the market is saturated. Time for something new.

"Hoarder" is a loaded word, as they're really speculators who are taking a punt that a set will increase in value over time. It may or it may not, and even if it does, the opportunity cost doesn't necessarily guarantee a profit.

For example, the Fire Brigade currently costs $150 USD. Say the LEGO hoarder buys a room full and sells them in five years time for $200 each. Profit, right?! No. Here in Australia, simple bank interest will get you 6% per year. 6% cumulative over 5 years results in $200.73...

That is, for not speculating that the price will rise, no warehousing a relative fragile product like a cardboard box which decreases in value if it gets bumped or wet or torn.

For a hoarder to bother hoarding, he's got to be pretty sure there will be demand in the future. If it doesn't, he's made an loss on the opportunity cost of tying up the money. (Not to mention that just leaving money in the bank is hardly "investment", especially in countries where the economy has crashed and bank's are basically paying no interest. There are better things to speculate on.)

I actually think anyone buying Fire Brigade right now to sell at a profit down the road is not guaranteed to be successful, and if they do make a profit, it will be a meagre one.

The money from Café Corner and Market Streets was because of a confluence of factors - relatively limited production and a dormant market of collectors who only discovered their interest in them after they were gone. (This thread is an example of that!)

However, for Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and the next one (unless you guys are successful in petitioning TLG to abandon it in favour of bringing back the old ones), many more have been produced and bought, and much of the potential market has probably already been saturated.

Hoarders may be profitable, or they may not. Either way, there is nothing absolutely wrong with what they are doing. They are not destroying childrens' happiness and it is simplistic to say they are.

As much as i want both of these sets i dont think they should be brought back. I will gladly MOC a market street in the exact same fashion using different colours as i really didnt like the dark blue, and i will gladly pay the $800 for a cafe corner. Also for the people buying up the fire brigade i can see that not rising in price by much as it is 3 years old now? and still in adelaide i can buy it for $300 which is a miracle. I just wish i knew where else to buy the ones still available in adelaide.

Bravo! Bravo!

I believe the owners of the original sets are forgetting something. If TLG re-releases these sets, the owners of the originals will still have the original, first-edition set the re-release does not change that. This is still an exclusivity they are hunting for. It is rather like a first edition book as compared to a later edition. So, the owners of the first edition sets still have their exclusivity, and the rest of us get a chance to have a re-release of a classic set.

I am not so much interested in the exclusivity of any LEGO set, there are just some sets that I really like for their artistic value to me. As an adult, I look at LEGO as an art form, and I don't care if I have the original or a copy.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

:thumbup: I've supported bringing both these sets.

I think you make a valid point Andy D. I'm relatively new to Lego and I would like the opportunity to purchase both these sets but not at an overinflated price. I'm in a quandary about whether I should purchase the existing modular buildings in the hope that they re-release the older sets so my collection can be complete.

As someone else suggested, maybe the box design could be changed so that people can differentiate between the first release and subsequent re-releases. I think that if there is enough demand and Lego can make money off re-released sets then why wouldn't they. They wouldn't have to redesign the sets and I don't know how much of an issue it would be to get these sets in production again.

Just my two cents.

I just realized why this will never happen (at least through a CUUSOO entry).

In their terms "you accept a renumeration of 1% of the net sales if commercialized by LEGO Systems A/S".

Lego would never give 1% renumeration to someone who simply suggested bringing back something TLG had already released.

The entry on CUUSOO is a nice thought, and a worthy gesture, but I don't think it would materialize into anything even if it got 20,000 votes.

Locutis

I hate to say this but I think you are 100% correct on this one Locutis...

I just realized why this will never happen (at least through a CUUSOO entry).

In their terms "you accept a renumeration of 1% of the net sales if commercialized by LEGO Systems A/S".

Lego would never give 1% renumeration to someone who simply suggested bringing back something TLG had already released.

The entry on CUUSOO is a nice thought, and a worthy gesture, but I don't think it would materialize into anything even if it got 20,000 votes.

Locutis

Of course they wouldn't, but if one of those entries ever received 10,000 supporters, then perhaps they might be moved to make a re-release (without paying anything to the person who suggested it). After all, that would tell them that there would be a high demand for the product.

That being said, I'm not such an avid supporter of re-releases as many here, and I think that with a few exceptions, CUSOO should be used for new creations, not re-release petitions.

So what do you guys think about LEGO Legends? Sure, there were only a few, but it led me out of my Dark Age with my dream set: a NIB Metroliner. Clearly LEGO cannot bring back every set, but if there's customer demand, it should happen sometime.

For the modular sets in particular, maybe they could do like a 5 or 10 year anniversary. I mean, the modulars are worth celebrating, right?

If they were going to do any celebrating of the release of the modulars, they should give a poll of which is the favorite

modular out of how many they issued and let the fans decide, and re-issue the top pick.

And I agree that Cuusoo should be used for new creations...

About the redesigned box, not everyone keeps them.

About the 'limited' production of CC and MS...

Cafe Corner- October 24th 2007-December 06 2009

Market Street- October 24th 2007-April 14th 2009

Green Grocer- March 05th 2008-November 08 2010

Fire Brigade has been out since September 12th 2009.

They don't seem all that different to me.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Market Street- October 24th 2007-April 14th 2009

...and don't forget you could still buy nearly all the parts off lego factory for the market street a while after they discontinued the production

run.

Edited by medib

About the redesigned box, not everyone keeps them.

I do save my boxes. Though I have intention on selling my opened sets, I plan to display them around a larger "Lego Room". That said I wish I had the boxes to the first three modulars. I bought them second hand in a great second hand RRP deal, minus the boxes a year after they were discontinued. The sole reason I ever got into modulars. However, I just checked 10182 on BL and it's $100... for ink and cardboard, I'm out...

For the topic at hand, I do like the idea of bringing it back or "Lego Legends" but, when it comes down to it, I vote nay, if it results in deterring from new modulars. As for buying/ hoarding, I have read good points from both sides. I to have bought copies of FB for later resale. TLG made their money from me, I will make another fan, who missed it for whatever reason, very happy to have one. Finally I will use those profits for my addiction to Lego, or at least back into those things I neglected because of... Vicious cycle yet everybody wins default_classic.gif

I do save my boxes. Though I have intention on selling my opened sets, I plan to display them around a larger "Lego Room". That said I wish I had the boxes to the first three modulars. I bought them second hand in a great second hand RRP deal, minus the boxes a year after they were discontinued. The sole reason I ever got into modulars. However, I just checked 10182 on BL and it's $100... for ink and cardboard, I'm out...

For the topic at hand, I do like the idea of bringing it back or "Lego Legends" but, when it comes down to it, I vote nay, if it results in deterring from new modulars. As for buying/ hoarding, I have read good points from both sides. I to have bought copies of FB for later resale. TLG made their money from me, I will make another fan, who missed it for whatever reason, very happy to have one. Finally I will use those profits for my addiction to Lego, or at least back into those things I neglected because of... Vicious cycle yet everybody wins default_classic.gif

I don't think people should hold their breath for a 'Legends' release of these. After reading on here for awhile, it sounds as though that line was a bust. On the resale point, people have issues with others hoarding these not because they want to sell them later on down the line, but they want to charge an insane markup on them, much like you see for the sets that are the subject at hand.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Like a lot of people here, I also think this is a bad idea. I am completely in favor of Lego expanding the inventory of the pick-a-brick to make it possible to assemble the parts needed to build your own, though. Honestly, once it is built it doesn't matter where the pieces originated.

On a semi-related note, I think that Cuusoo is an interesting idea but one that will never amount to anything. To get 10,000 people to support something Lego is insanely high - few MOC topics on this site or images hosted on flickr can even get a fraction of that many views, let alone people willing to post/favorite.

I am against LEGO re releasng any of these sets even though they have dont that in the past.