I Scream Clone

New Lego 10223 Kingdoms Joust Exclusive

I love this set. My jaw was on the floor when I saw the pics this morning on FBTB.

Lego has hit a complete grand slam with this one. And I don't even really like new castle. Huge grand slam. Just in awe.

If they bring back Black Falcons however, I just may lose my mind and buy everything in sight :laugh:

Positively outstanding...

This set is amazing proof why a certain licensed castle/fantasy/medieval theme will never be better than plain old traditional Lego Castle. This has positively everything!!!

And beyond all else, the shout-out to the Black Falcons is bittersweet. They could TOTALLY run with them as a new faction and sell millions of units. And that's just sales to me alone, haha

10223_back_011-small.jpg

:wink:

Looks to me like a black helmet and dragon knights torso + legs

Oh... I see. I don't actually have a problem with this because I'm only collecting the Exclusive castle sets, so no one else in my collection will have this torso.

I've decided to explain the two Crown soldiers in MMV as the Crown Tax Collectors, whereas the Lion knights in the Joust set will be the Royal Guard. That way I can merge the two Exclusive sets without too many conflicting factions.

Edited by David Thomsen

So I take it this does not signify the end of the Kingdoms theme?

Or the final end cap.

While I love the Falcon Knight, I am very sad they elected to leave behind the Dragon Knights.

But I agree with the many here, this is a must buy set.

Edited by Hoboman

There's just one word to describe this set...lush. Really. I couldn't quite believe it when I first saw the photos, thinking it had to be a compilation of at least two sets, to include so many mini-figs. Although this does seem to be the growing trend with Lego these days, to be absurdly generous with figs, it still seems too good to be true to me. So if I'm dreaming, please don't wake me up... :wub:

I just saw that there is a picture on the lego facebook page that actually shows ONE complete set:

298622_266428006723089_207089142656976_851122_120241844_n.jpg

Edited by metalandi

I just saw that there is a picture on the lego facebook page that actually shows ONE complete set:

Actually, the horses aren't wearing their helmets and there is no loaf of bread... so not quite complete. :wink: (Also, the image goes above the Eurobricks size limit, which is why I didn't post it earlier...)

The more I think about it, the only way I'm buying two of this set if they include additional instructions to make the tents bigger with the spare pieces and also to elongate the Royal stand. Otherwise I'm not really getting value for money. Lego, are you listening?

Is anyone else who is thinking of getting two sets likely to mod it so that both of the balconies are one one side of the tower, facing the joust, and both of the stained glass windows are on the other side? This just makes more sense to me...

Edited by David Thomsen

Oh... I see. I don't actually have a problem with this because I'm only collecting the Exclusive castle sets, so no one else in my collection will have this torso.

I've decided to explain the two Crown soldiers in MMV as the Crown Tax Collectors, whereas the Lion knights in the Joust set will be the Royal Guard. That way I can merge the two Exclusive sets without too many conflicting factions.

I'm wondering whether it will be a black helmet or a regular dragon one - it is hard to tell based on the images. I would really like a black helmet, as it would differentiate the falcon knight more from the dragons. However, obviously a dragon helmet would be ok as well.

It appears that the black night has the same legs and torso as the knight in the Blacksmith Attack set, except the black helmet just like 'David T' said - you can see the curved printing on the lower torso section ! :wink:

Strange that the nobleman's torso has a cape bound together with golden laces on its upper half, but he does not wear a cape cloth.

Strange that the nobleman's torso has a cape bound together with golden laces on its upper half, but he does not wear a cape cloth.

Good spotting 'Wardancer', weird that he doesn't have a cape yet his torso shows it to be so ! *huh*

Edited by lightningtiger

Good spotting 'Wardancer', weird that he doesn't have a cape yet his torso shows it to be so ! *huh*

It's a big bowtie.

I think I might have a spare cape lying around :wink:

Terrific set, especially the two new aristocrats. I know I’m not alone in thinking that the LEGO realm suffers from a lack of civilians. That lion noble could make a decent wealthy merchant, for example. And while more villagers would have been welcome, it is to the designers’ credit that they include at least one, when the set didn’t really need it.

I do wish they included a dragon knight champion (and squire) as well. To those saying that being enemies, it wouldn’t be likely for dragon knights to appear, we have sets like 6095 pitting a KK1 knight against Cedric the Bull, and 7009 with a crownie and a skellie! Even in real life, during periods of “cold war” or “hot peace” between rival powers, tournaments could be held.

Concerning the falcon knight, I hope TLG won’t bring back the falcons using this new shield. I want to see a return of the old subthemes as much as the next guy, but I’d prefer TLG to stick to the original coats of arms, so as to be compatible with the original subthemes. So, I hope this is just a standalone nod to the black falcons without heralding a new subtheme. On the other hand, I’d like Kingdoms to stick around, there’s still plenty of potential in this theme. Forestmen could be an option if the dragon knights are retired and the green primary color becomes available again, but I’d prefer them to be grittier than the original forestmen, maybe like Dark Forest. Evil forestmen have been suggested here, but since forestmen are so strongly connected to the Robin Hood “gallant outlaw robbing the rich to feed the poor” stereotype, I find it unlikely. Maybe a resurrection of Wolfpack, which I would welcome, but only if the original coat of arms was used.

I think I might have a spare cape lying around :wink:

The pictures show the king wearing a cape.

My impressions are WOW what a great design! and then hmmm what could have been...

First may I say that the build of the gate is absolutely beautiful. It has so many great little details (stained glass, furniture, decorative bricks) inside and out. The frogs as legs on the table is fantastic as are the reddish brown flower accents on the furniture. It looks like an AFOL built it. With two sets back to back it looks even better.

The side walls and buildings are nicely done and the tie in with MMV is nice. I don't think these walls will blend in with the Castle at all because the style and size is totally different.

The tents leave a bit to be desired. Having a tent that only holds a weapon is kinda weak in my opinion. The jousting railing is nicely made and long enough to be useful.

The grandstand is nicley done and two put together may give enough room for the Royals to even sit down during the tourny.

The new princess appears to be a princess for the dragon faction. The prince fig is nice and we now have several options for Lion torsos on the royals. Both figs are fantastic. I love the new black falcon, although I do wish he had his own torso and or legs. With 3 new shields, a new black helmet, armor, and horse barding I think it will be possible, although expensive... to build out a new faction or splinter faction of the black falcons. Some sort of new BF torso would put the icing on the cake. I can always hope! :sweet:

Perhaps I know too much about the LEGO castle factions and it has jaded my impression of the set... Though the old Black Falcon sets had some green flags as a Classic Castle member pointed out. With the tent, flags, and plume, I am very disappointed that the secondary color of the black falcon is dark green? I know that this can be easily modified. However, it feels like they designed the set to include the dragon knight and then switched out the helmet, armor, shields, and barding at the last second to make a new faction? This really detracts from the overall complete look that I would hope for from an exclusive set. If the tent was black/white, with black/white flags and a white plume it would have been much better. It just looks like two factions have been blended together is some obviously perverse way. :wink:

As far as pieces go, this set has a lot of very useful parts. As was noted it is all brick built with no wall panels. The lt bley 1x3 arches are very nice to see. This is a very rare element and yet so needed by castle builders. The set has a lot of 1x1 rounds in lt and dark bley and although not uncommon do not typically come in great numbers in castle sets. I count atleast 5 lt bley mudguards; they make beautiful arches. I also spotted atleast 24 lt bley 1x1 bricks with stud on one side. I can't get enough of this part and they don't come cheap on BL. In sets it hasn't come in quatities like this in anything except the tower bridge set. The red 1x2x2 65 degree slopes in red are rare. The dark green 1x3 33 degree inverted slopes are a new piece. The flower plates are nice and we get them is many colors including a bunch of reddish brown.

Overall I would say this is a fantastic set and deserves a 9.5 out of 10.

After a wonderful review like that what more can I say...

As well designed as this set is, I would have much preferred a different take on this set. Even though the gate is great, I could have done without this feature at all in this set. After all I could build a simalar gate with the parts from the Kings Castle set. I would have preferred the set to have had 4 factions of jousting knights with four proper tents and each with a page or soldier to accompany him. Instead of the walls with the 1/2 buildings on it perhaps one well built structure in the vein of MMV. Lastly a small seating area with a couple of peasants watching. By removing the gate and walls I think this could have easily been achieved for the same total cost. I think a set like that would have sold even better. Kids love the knights and more different ones to compete would give a real tournament flavor. It also would have sold like hotcakes to army building types and resellers trying to get in on the figures. This would especially be true if after the lions and dragons two new factions were introduced. The black falcon is great and then add a new purple or yellow faction to the mix.

Even if I was hoping for something else, it is truly a great set. No doubt the number and type of parts are great for the price. As a castle collector and large scale builder, I will obtain a half dozen of these around the time of the next brickworld event. Congrats to the LEGO designers on a job well done.

Sorry if these pics are a little big and a little blur :-( I managed to half the size of them, but can't do any better without loosing half the picture? anyway, I'm sure someone with the skills can fix them :-)

gallery_2955_116_152713.jpg

gallery_2955_116_62109.jpg

Pics from the GWLS

Edited by I Scream Clone
resized the pictures

Wow this set looks amazing. I can't wait to get a couple of 'em. I'm actually happy they included a Black Falcon. It will be nice to incorp him into my Black Falcon faction. Wow, Lego just continues to impress.

I hope Kingdoms continues on for at least a couple more waves.

Seeing asthis wasn't mentioned before, has anyone else noticed that the Black Falcon knight's barding has the fleur de lis (or something very similar) all over it? It just seems interesting.

nice set but not really ucs to me.

It isn't a UCS. It is just an exclusive. Only Star Wars has UCS.