Hey guy, new creation !

This is a Mini Slot Machine, based on a previous model I have done 10 years ago. The ball (the bet) is loaded in the machine on the top red entrance with the main lever, it goes though a probability path using multiple triangle parts to create two OR gates. If the ball falls in the correct path, it triggers the hatch of the ball container and you win, if not, you lose your ball. The interesting mechanism is the resetting one. Composed of levers, connecting rod, gearing and ratchet, it helps to reset the position of the hatch and lock it, thanks to the decoupled motion between the lift lever and the gear/ratchet. Enabling to lift and lock the hatch only when it is open.

You can find more info , pictures and the building instructions here : https://www.nico71.fr/mini-slot-machine/

Hello, 

not so much new creations this month because I worked a lot on commissioned projects, but I have released new variation of updated instructions for old creations if you are interested.

Honda S2000 (Red Version)

1280x720.jpg

📲 More pictures, review, preview instructions [nico71.fr]
🎥 Video presentation (black version) [youtube.com]
🔰 Stickers available in Red and Black at Forwart's Sticker Shop [forwartsticker.com]
💡 3D printed Rim cover made by TeClem8Creations [facebook.com]
🎁 Available at Buildamoc (Lego Parts + PDF Instructions + Sticker Sheet) [buidamoc.com]

5 reels Braiding Machine (2022 version)

1000x800.jpg

This 2022 version is updated with the following changes :

• L motor instead of M and regular battery box (constant speed) (manual mode with crank available)
  • More gearing options to modify the speed (slower of faster)
  • Cosmetic change to fit the more common parts and simplify the build
  • Completely new instructions with 2022 quality standard

Links :

📲 More pictures, review, tips for functioning and preview instructions [nico71.fr]
🎥 Video presentation (original version) [youtube.com]
🎁 Available at Buildamoc (Lego Parts + PDF Instructions) [buidamoc.com]

Fell free to comment of ask questions 😀

Edited by nico71

New creation !

A LEGO Technic Pneumatic Switchless Machine with adjustable timing, working throttle, with idle mechanism, and openable controls panel.

switchless-pneumatic-machine-1.jpg

switchless-pneumatic-machine-3.jpg

How it works :

This engine is build around a single pneumatic cylinder, with air distribution using switchless valves. The switchless valves are composed of 2 hose loops by cylinder chambers, which are operated by pushers with a single camshaft, enabling to pinch the hose to restrict the air flow.

The whole valve assembly can rotate around the camshaft, enabling a rotation angle offset between the camshaft assembly and the crankshaft, in order to adjust precisely the timing (ignition point of internal combustion engine). The yellow wheel on the front panel controls the timing angle, with a visual indicator as the yellow connector.

switchless-pneumatic-machine-11.jpg

The model is also equipped with working throttle, which works on the same principle as the switchless valve, by using a pinched loop to restrict the air flow. It is operated by linkage which is connected to the red throttle with rubber bands. Then, a idle mechanism, which acts as a adjustable endstop enables to set up the idle of the engine, which is operated by the red wheel. To finish, the control panel can be open to see the internal mechanism.

switchless-pneumatic-machine-7.jpg

Links :

Video :

Amazing! Your designs are always so neat and well thought out.

Great demonstration of switchless pneumatic engine. Always wanted to make one - did several "regular" ones, but they tend to be extremely inefficient unless switches and pistons are modified (which I don't want to do). Also, interesting idea with the timing. An alternative approach would be to use a differential instead of tilting the whole mechanism.

Geneious, yet simple switches.

Looks also great.

Just don't get, why on controlpanel You used grey not yellow bushes.

2 hours ago, Davidz90 said:

Amazing! Your designs are always so neat and well thought out.

Great demonstration of switchless pneumatic engine. Always wanted to make one - did several "regular" ones, but they tend to be extremely inefficient unless switches and pistons are modified (which I don't want to do). Also, interesting idea with the timing. An alternative approach would be to use a differential instead of tilting the whole mechanism.

Thanks ! Yes I do not like too to modify the pneumatic parts. I prefer dealing with in order people can rebuilt the creations without the need to modify it. for the differential, I have though about but in fact it has too many play, which is a problem when you search for the good timing point (back and forth). I have used in on my Hot Bulb Tractor 10 years ago and it was a bit difficult to find the correct timing because of the play.

30 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Geneious, yet simple switches.

Looks also great.

Just don't get, why on controlpanel You used grey not yellow bushes.

Thanks ! I use grey bush to show that it can be removed to open the control panel. Shape and color tells the functions, which is important for a didactic model.

23 minutes ago, nico71 said:

I have though about but in fact it has too many play, which is a problem when you search for the good timing point (back and forth).

I see, yes that is an issue. I guess the input would need to be geared up, put through differential and then geared down. That works for my clocks.

I wonder if this switch design can be used as a pressure sensor - the force produced by the hose as it tries straighten itself should depend on pressure. Maybe this, along with some Watt regulator for speed sensing, could be used for a fully automatic engine timing control? 

Edited by Davidz90

Superb! I particularly like the control panel.

Would you say there is much efficiency difference between your switchless 'switches' and unmodified Lego switches?

On 11/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Davidz90 said:

I see, yes that is an issue. I guess the input would need to be geared up, put through differential and then geared down. That works for my clocks.

I wonder if this switch design can be used as a pressure sensor - the force produced by the hose as it tries straighten itself should depend on pressure. Maybe this, along with some Watt regulator for speed sensing, could be used for a fully automatic engine timing control? 

I am interested because if you gear the input or ouput, it gives more play on the diff anyway, so when I search for the good timing point (which means rotate in one way, then other way, then other way etc) the play is a problem to find the correct spot. Maybe it works on your clock because it works in one way only ?

For the switch, it is an interesting idea, because the force to push the pinched loop depends of the pressure, and vice versa. If you used new hose (like the one in 42100), the rubber is stronger and the needed force to pinch is higher, but it can accept more pressure in (and require also more force to pinch with high pressure). So it worse to have a look to it ! Maybe with an old pneumatic hose or silicone one which is very soft.

21 hours ago, ord said:

Superb! I particularly like the control panel.

Would you say there is much efficiency difference between your switchless 'switches' and unmodified Lego switches?

Thanks ! Honestly I do not know, both have advantages and drawbacks. Classic switch are widespread, easy to set up, big dead spot, but accept a large pressure without consequence (and so reach high RPM). The switchless 'pinching loop' require more parts, have a small dead spot (it is more constant as the loop open / close gradually), but is sensible to the pressure and required more air flow. It can works at lowest pressure (because the dead spot is small) but do not like a lot fast RPM because of the pressure.

I use camshaft with roller / pusher on the switchless version, but there are lot of other mechanism to test for the timing, in order to reduce the dead spot and increase the in air time. (slidding rod with connector, scotchyoke or something which look like locomotive valve gear).

The main drawbacks for me is that it required 4 hoses for 1 cylinders, so if I want to push the concept forward with a L4 or V6 I need a lot of 9cm hose with the same material. Of course If I time the engine correctly (eg 180° or boxer), I can use the same hose for two cylinders but it requires a lot of hose anyway. I dream of a radial engine !

11 minutes ago, nico71 said:

I am interested because if you gear the input or ouput, it gives more play on the diff anyway, so when I search for the good timing point (which means rotate in one way, then other way, then other way etc) the play is a problem to find the correct spot. Maybe it works on your clock because it works in one way only ?

As I understand it, the play on any gear is about third to half of one tooth and accumulates when multiple gear ratios are used. If I lock one axle and the casing of the differential, then the third axle can move left/right by approximately 1/12 of a rotation (result of 2 gear ratios involving 12T gears). If I put a 8T gear on that axle, and couple it with 40T gear, then the play is almost 5x smaller (not exactly because 8T/40T ratio adds some play on its own). Overall, "big gear reduction immediately before input/output" seems like a valid strategy.

But yes, the fact that clock works one way only solves many issues as well.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:05 PM, Davidz90 said:

As I understand it, the play on any gear is about third to half of one tooth and accumulates when multiple gear ratios are used. If I lock one axle and the casing of the differential, then the third axle can move left/right by approximately 1/12 of a rotation (result of 2 gear ratios involving 12T gears). If I put a 8T gear on that axle, and couple it with 40T gear, then the play is almost 5x smaller (not exactly because 8T/40T ratio adds some play on its own). Overall, "big gear reduction immediately before input/output" seems like a valid strategy.

But yes, the fact that clock works one way only solves many issues as well.

Interesting approach to reduce the play ! Did you have a ressource (picture, renders) of the system to be sure to understand and reproduce it to test ?

Regarding the switchless machine, I have tested today to power it with a regular hand pump composed of 4x LEGO pumps + and air tank and it works well, it runs as fast as the compressor with about 2 bars, by pumping two times per seconds, so this option is valid to power the engine for people who do not have an other source of air.

36 minutes ago, nico71 said:

nteresting approach to reduce the play ! Did you have a ressource (picture, renders) of the system to be sure to understand and reproduce it to test ?

Sure! The system is in the image below. Differential (the new type) has one axle and casing locked. The amount of play in output is about 1/12 of rotation (marked by blue lines). With 8:40 reduction, the play is also reduced by almost 5 times.

52500051260_5a48755347_c.jpgbacklash by David_Z1, on Flickr

Adding another 1:5 reduction reduces the play further by a factor of ~3.

Edited by Davidz90

Hey Nico, always very pleased with your creations. Sometime back you introduced us to the "Joy of Spirographing" (Version 4).

Have you done anything with the banana gears?

On 11/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, DrJB said:

Hey Nico, always very pleased with your creations. Sometime back you introduced us to the "Joy of Spirographing" (Version 4).

Have you done anything with the banana gears?

Thanks ! Sorry for not responding early. Yes I have use the banana gear mostly for creating wheel of inertia so on Lego Pneumatic Engine.

I have released a new creation ! In the same theme that I like : oilfield truck, so here is more a oilfield vehicle, the foremost delta 6x6, in a remote controlled 1/20 reproduction 6×6 drivetrain, articulated steering, suspensions of all axle, with openables/removable elements and many details.

The model :

The original model is an articulated truck, the 6x6 Delta, from the Canadian Manufacturer Foremost, which is mainly use in harsh terrain in oilfield, thanks to its low pressure tire, chassis-articulated steering and its payload. It can be equipped with many specific equipment, for logistical support, remote drilling operations, pipeline and powerline construction or maintenance.

foremost-delta-6x6-3.jpg

Specs :

• Scale 1/20, 60cm lenght, 16m width, 21cm height, 1.9kg weight.
  • Remote controlled using Powered App from LEGO with bluetooth smartphone
  • Control+ motor can be replaced by Power functions
  • Drive : 6x6, 2 L motors in the chassis
  • Reinforced Constant-velocity joint, portal hub and differential on all axle (no locking)
  • Steering : Central articulation with two linear actuators powered by a L motor
  • Rear suspensions : tandem axle with Panhard rod connected with oscillating arm (bogie design)
  • Front suspensions  : live axle with shock absorbers and Panhard rod
  • No winch, but front and rear are equipped to receive it
  • Openable elements : doors
  • Removable elements : battery cover, cabin, bed

Inspiration model (Foremost Delta 6x6 in Transporter version) :
foremost_delta3_2018_reference_2.jpg

Links :

🎥 Video presentation [youtube.com]
Delta Page on Foremost website [foremost.ca]

foremost-delta-6x6-9.jpg

Video :

The model is beautifully designed both from inside and outside but what I want to mention is choose of colours. If I remember correctly is not the first time you choose such mix and I have to say, it has something in it. Four different colours, highly contrasting yet not overly bright - they create great look and I love it.

I have forgotten to post here my 1/8 Trailer

-------------------------------

A LEGO Technic tandem axle trailer to transport 1/8 cars (Bugatti 42083, Porsche 42056 or any other 1/8 Supercar). With storable ramps with locking mechanism, manual jack, adjustable towball height, openable and removable box. Available in three versions (5×7 frame, yellow frame, with wooden platform).

asm_trailer_frame_f150_porsche_2.jpg
(Ford F150 + Porsche GT3)

Specs :

• LEGO Technic Replica of a Trailer BigRex 70Ch (Tandem Axle)
  • Dimensions : 76.3cm x 36.6cm x 12.6cm (2.2kg)
  • Dimensions of the car platform :
  • With the box : 536mm (67stud) x 264mm (33stud)
  • Without the box : 632mm (79stud) x 264mm (33stud)
  • (the car can overcome the rear part as long as the rear wheel are supported)
  • Two ramps with sliding axle to put in place (lenght : 27cm, approach angle of 8°)
  • Ramps are stored underneath the chassis with locking mechanism
  • Adjustable width of the Ramps
  • Sturdy Chassis to support the weight of the car (symmetrical grid-built chassis to easily extend it)
  • Adjustable height of the towball attachment point
  • Manual jack with linear actuator and crank
  • Openable and removable box (box inside size : 20cm x 7.2cm x 4.8cm)
  • Adjustable wheel chocks
  • Details : Lights, mudguards, chainss, guardrails, red/white stripping

asm_trailer_frame_f150_porsche_3.jpg
(Ford F150 + Porsche GT3)

Inspiration model : BigTexTrailer 70Ch (Tandem Axle no Dovetail)

70CH.png

Links :

🎥 Video presentation [youtube.com]
BigTex website [Bigtextrailer.com]

asm_trailer_frame_f150_porsche_4.jpg
(Ford F150 + Porsche GT3 without additional box)

Video (5x7 frame version presentation) :

Edited by nico71

Following months of work to reproduce this beautiful French car, with its particular features at this scale and the iconic shape.

TLTD :It is built at 1/15 scale (same scale as my 2CV, Mehari, 205 GTI), with working steering wheel and optional Hand Of God, green 4-cylinder engine with moving pistons connected to the front wheels (obviously), openable 4 doors, trunk and double paneled hood.

The LEGO Model :
LEGO Technic 1/15 replica of the Citroën Traction, with working steering wheel and optional Hand Of God, green 4-cylinder engine with moving pistons connected to the front wheels, openable doors, trunk and hood, with detailed interior and beautiful iconic shape reproduced in original black color.

citroen-traction-9-1.jpg

Original Model :

The Citroën Traction Avant is the world’s first unibody front-wheel-drive car. Designed by André Lefèbvre and Flaminio Bertoni in 1933 / 1934, it was produced by the French manufacturer Citroën from 1934 to 1957 with approximately 760,000 units produced.

traction-1.jpg

Whilst front-wheel drive and four-wheel independent suspension had been established in the mass market by Auto Union and subsequently others some years before, the Traction Avant pioneered integrating these into a mass-production, crash resistant, unitary, monocoque body. [wikipedia]

traction-2.jpg
(images courtesy of POA)

Specs (LEGO Version) :

• Citroën Traction at 1/15 scale (same as my 2CV, Mehari, 205 GTI)
  • Dimensions : 33cm (L) x 13cm (W) x 12cm (H), Wheels : Ø49mm, Weight : 630gr
  • Based on Traction 11B model from 1955 with curved trunk
  • Steering with lever / rod mechanism and working steering wheel
  • Optional Hand Of God
  • Front Wheel Drive without differential (not enough place at this scale)
  • Green 4-cylinder engine with moving pistons and working fan
  • Torsion bar independent rear suspension (can be lock with adding a pin)
  • Openable elements : 4 doors, trunk and double paneled hood (can be removed)

A great attention has been taken to reproduce the particular shape of the original model, with a special treatment on the surfaces finish as well as the colors or certain colored element (pin, axle etc).

Links :

📲 More pictures, review, preview instructions [nico71.fr]
🎁 Complete package including Parts + Instructions at [buildamoc.com]
🎥 Video presentation [youtube.com]
 A great history page on [Traction-Owner-co.uk]

Video :

Let me know what do you think ! I am working on a design secrets video on that one, expecting to publish in some weeks as there is a lot to talk about the design.

Edited by nico71
Add embeded video

My new creation Chevrolet Kodiak C70

kodiak-1280-10.jpg

Snowrunner’s Fan here ? Here is a replica of the Chevrolet Kodiak C70 in LEGO Technic, with 4×4 drivetrain, suspensions on both axles, working rear saddle, openable doors and hood, with removable V8 Diesel Engine, and removable cabin. With building instructions for two versions (Control+ or PFS).

kodiak-1280-3.jpg

Original Model :

In 1981, General Motors introduced the Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick as a variant of the medium-duty C/K trucks. A Class 7 truck, the Kodiak was developed to use the Caterpillar 3208 V8 diesel and was offered with both single and tandem-axle drive configurations; both straight truck and semitractor configurations were produced. The Kodiak / TopKick were commonly used in 80's as a basis for work trucks, cargo haulers, dump trucks, and similar vehicles which required medium duty torque. It is also a very good starter truck for Snowrunner's Fan, that I am, which motivated me to reproduce it in LEGO Technic.

kodiak2.jpg

Specs (Control + LEGO Version) :

• Dimensions : 44 x 17 x 17cm, Scale : 1/17, Wheels : Ø62.4mm, Weight : 1.35kg
  • 4×4 Drivetrain with Geared Hub and Differential (no lock)
  • Dual wheel at the back, with 57360 Hinge Cylinder for the transmission in the geared hub
  • Onboard Servo Motor steering with rack and pinion
  • Fifth wheel (saddle) with locking mechanism for classic trailer attachment
  • Fully suspended axle with links, springs and Panhard Rod
  • Openable doors to reveal the detailed interior
  • Openable left side box
  • Openable hood revealing the removable CAT V8 Diesel Engine (connected to the drivetrain)
  • Removable cabin, enabling to re-use the Class 7 Platform for other truck in same class (like GMC TopKick)
  • Available in two versions : Control+ Motor (Poweredup App) or classic Power Function System (IR remote)

Some pictures to display the features :

kodiak-1280-4.jpg

kodiak-1280-8.jpg

kodiak-1280-11.jpg

📕 More pictures, preview and bundle discount can be found on my website [nico71.fr] (-15% for 2 instructions, -20% for 3 on the whole cart)

The Instructions :

• Instructions are step by step high resolution computer generated instructions (300DPI, 190 pages) with partlists, flexible parts, highlighted parts for each step with white edge on dark parts for better readability.
  • A PDF tutorial of 19 pages is included to set up the command profile on the PoweredUp App from LEGO for the Control+ Version (ensure your smartphone is compatible prior purchasing)

Example :

thumbs_kodiak-control-preview-2.jpg thumbs_kodiak-control-preview-3.jpg thumbs_kodiak-control-preview-4.jpg

See it in action :

It is the first truck I did with the geared hub and the double wheel at the back so I have to inovate for the transmission by using the hinge cylinder over a dismantle U-join or an 16t gear. Plus the removable cab with segmented hood/mudguard which was not easy but I am proud of the result. Let me know your comment or questions ! 😀

Yes, there are some Snowrunner's fans here :D I'm glad that there are still designers, who decide to recreate in Lego version vehicles which are - let's face it - rather ugly. But seeing it in Lego version, done with skill and understanding of aesthetics gives those vehicles second live. Great model, no questions about it, especially when, over all, original is rather dull and quite useless in game :D

Very well done Nico; how did I miss Citroen (me who are car fan of 1930s and 1950s)? Both are great. Pardon me if I ask stupid question, but was it possoble to cover Mustang wheel to use it at front to make space for differential?

On 8/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, keymaker said:

Yes, there are some Snowrunner's fans here :D I'm glad that there are still designers, who decide to recreate in Lego version vehicles which are - let's face it - rather ugly. But seeing it in Lego version, done with skill and understanding of aesthetics gives those vehicles second live. Great model, no questions about it, especially when, over all, original is rather dull and quite useless in game :D

Oh ! I personally like the look of the original Kodiak but I can understand that not all people like 🙃 (For snowrunner, the kodiak is a beast fully upgraded, just limit by its wheel in some deep snow/mud but I keep even for Kola Peninsula).

On 8/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, 1gor said:

Very well done Nico; how did I miss Citroen (me who are car fan of 1930s and 1950s)? Both are great. Pardon me if I ask stupid question, but was it possoble to cover Mustang wheel to use it at front to make space for differential?

Thanks ! Unfortunately no, as the model use the thinner version of 43mm tire, the 30x14 So what you can gain with the offset rims, you will lose with tire width and so the tire will stick out the mudguard.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:03 AM, nico71 said:

Thanks ! Unfortunately no, as the model use the thinner version of 43mm tire, the 30x14 So what you can gain with the offset rims, you will lose with tire width and so the tire will stick out the mudguard.

I understand; since I use mobile phone didn't notice that you use thinner wheels / tires. To use a kind if floating differential needs (I suppose) additional space

Edited by 1gor

Another great build @nico71. I would see these TopKicks all the time growing up. Most were box trucks, and many were simple work and farm trucks. Thanks for bring me back to that happy spot.

This is such a cool build, the only thing I don't like is the missing deck and man basket built on the back. (JK, JK).

Love that game BTW it can burn hours away like nothing else.