REVIEW: 30141 (Dude with Large Jetpack)

30141: Tiny set, tiny poll.  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like it?

• It sucks.
    • It's ok.
    • Totally awesome!

6059580493_3508d13a78_o.png

Recently I apparated into a LEGO store and spent more than $35 on 7962 Anakin's & Sebulba's Podracers. $90 in fact. Sorry wallet. But then I got unexpected free stuff! Woohoo! Yeah, I'm talking about…

6054986130_6e510d8831_b.jpg

Set Title: The internet says ADU Jetpack (boooooring), but I'm calling it Dude with Large Jetpack

Set #: 30141

Theme: Alien Conquest

Subtheme: Free Unexpected Stuff

Pieces: 19

Minifigures: 1

Year of Release: 2011

Price at Release: Um… would you want to buy it?

Buy it? Inventory? Bricklink Peeron

Just browse the pictures? Flickr

INTRODUCTION

For about a minute one time I thought I'd like to pick up an Alien Conquest set. Then that 60 seconds was over. All I really wanted was one of the new guns that came with the ADU guys. But oh well, I could live without it. The LEGO gods, on the other hand, thought differently. I just had to have one. Had to, no discussion. They forced it upon me.

Hey, you can't beat free. But does that make it a good set, worth your while if you aren't able to get your hands on it for zero of whatever currency you use? Let's find out…

BOX or, in this case, BAG

The main packaging image is pleasing and does what it has to do. By the positioning of the figure in relation to the ominous tractor-beaming UFO in the background, it looks like our plucky not so hero is saying "Hahaha, I'm outta here motherf*****s." If he had a middle finger, he would be waving it big time at the world at large. But he doesn't. He only has two little clippy things on each hand, poor fella. Not to mention him holding two accessories.

6054431259_25018f83d2_b.jpg

The back of the bag is just the 'made in' info and a big advertisement. Well, no, I lied, it's actually a tiny advertisement, but you get my point. Nice colors though.

6054431691_2a216f6816_b.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

The instructions come folded into a tiny little square. They contain eight steps in all, not including assembling the minifigure. I feel like these instructions qould've been crammed onto an index card back in the day, but now all the kids have brain issues and can't read pictures if they aren't surrounded by a lot of dead space. One thing to not is that, unlike regular impulse sets, these instructions do not have each part's ID next to the part in the steps.

6054982996_3abb8d954f_b.jpg

Still, a set this tiny couldn't fill the space, so they gave us more tiny advertisements. It doesn't really make me want to buy the sets, though; I can barely see them anyway!

6054983232_37996ffa9e_b.jpg

EVERYTHING ELSE LAID OUT

Ok, mark this moment: CloneyO actually gives you the parts assortment. This is something I absolutely do not like to waste my time doing, but it took a grand total of 13 seconds for this one, so I thought it would be ok.

Surprisingly, this set contains a few nice parts. Blue pieces for SNOTting, a big 2x4 tile… nice! Not to mention the awesome jetpack piece. It might've come out in 1985, but it's still awesome!

6054432069_049bed0bbe_b.jpg

MINIFIGURE

The highlight of the set is, clearly, the ADU Dude. For anybody familiar with Alien Conquest, this guy will seem pretty typical; he's got the head of the big helicopter pilot, with the regular ADU soldier body. Still, that shouldn't make him less exciting. He's got the color that was made just for him, top notch detailing, and the new gun. The one downside is the helmet. The area of the minifigure head that LEGO prints and the cutout in the helmet do not match up, making the soldier look kind of silly. It looked bad when it came out in Space Police, and it still does. Alone, it's a great helmet.

6054983458_6d7b4d54f8.jpg6054983748_042db135c0.jpg

Maybe the helmet is a good thing, though, since his happier face freaks me out. That chortle is way too intense; I'm worried he's going to break into my house at night and start doing naughty things while I sleep.

6054983962_d7a9828b91.jpg

The reverse side is much easier to deal with. For once, the expressions are not happy and scared, they're sadistic and 'eh?' Like you made a really bad pun and he's saying 'really dude, you just said that?' Or he's stoned.

6054984142_0b40b75c1b.jpg

LARGE JETPACK

Here's the part that the minifigure covers up. Yay, undersides of plates! What I wonder is why the orange cones are on top. Are they blasters, landing lights… what? But it's never good to over think things.

6054984296_ff05e6b65e_b.jpg

The back is mostly covered by the big tile, which creates a nice armored effect. You can't shoot this guy in the back!

6054433797_0dc8acd27e_b.jpg

LARGE JETPACK with MINIFIGURE

Our stoned hero has strapped himself in and is ready to go! The wings look nice and aerodynamic, and stick out the right amount I'd say. Four-long was a good choice. Note how is mouth is completely hidden, though.

6054434015_06cbfa2a31_b.jpg

Even in tiny sets, LEGO can add nice details. The grill on the bottom works so well as an exhaust/booster type thing, and it's only one piece! Good design there.

6054984902_02319fbbc7_b.jpg

The jetpack looks a tad too large from the side, but it's alright. The real issue is it's placement in relation to the minifigure's body; because the jetpack neck piece is used, the whole thing is low down. It wouldn't have looked as good from the front, but perhaps a simple neck bracket would've allowed for better placement.

6054434651_9d7cdd108f.jpg

PLAY

You can swoosh him. Huzzah.

6054985518_367c254d7d_b.jpg

CONCLUSION

This time, no ratings, just words. Overall, I'm quite satisfied because 1) I still semi-wanted an ADU minifigure/gun and 2) it was free. In addition, you get the jetpack neck accessory, which you can never have enough of. However, if you are unable to get this for free, should you try to get your hands on it? I would say no. Buy the cheapest normal Alien Conquest set, and you'll get an alien too. It'll probably come out to about the same price anyway. There's no reason to go out of your way to get your hands on this.

Not a bad little set. A fairly simple set, though you do get a ADU minifigure and some cool parts. I think I'm going to dish out the $5 to get this off Bricklink. :grin:

It doesn't look like I'll be spending the fortune required to obtain one of these for free any time soon - and since I have all the other Alien Conquest sets I may possibly also track this down on the secondary market... :blush:

This is a great little freebie. I think all US Lego stores are giving them out with orders over $35. They actually gave me 5 of these guys with a large purchase, although that was during Brickfair and might have been an event promotion. I combined the binoculars with the gun as done on one of the sets in the theme. You also get an extra clear visor in each set.

Do you know how much I yearn to own this new polybag set? :cry_sad:

It's great to see it in review where I can poison myself further to get this. I am very fond of polybags and this is no exception. I will love to stock up more of those ADU guys but I haven't started collecting this theme though. Plus, the fact that I find the jetpack design pretty cool as well. Thank you Clonie for sharing this.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied because 1) I still semi-wanted an ADU minifigure/gun and 2) it was free. In addition, you get the jetpack neck accessory, which you can never have enough of.

Absolutely seconded: It's all about the cool double-barrel gun. default_wubnew.gif The minifig itself is nice to have, besides the helmet/face letdown you already mentioned.

I'm still a bit undecided about the trans-orange cones. They should be on the downside (representing flames) rather than on top of the wings. But than again the fig cannot stand any more.

This is a great little freebie. I think all US Lego stores are giving them out with orders over $35.

It's the same here in Germany: Spend more than 35€ on AC sets and receive the dude for free. The latest Lego Club magazine came with a coupon to get one of those for free as well. So we got three of the lovely polybags. default_laugh2.gif

Currently they are on sale for just 2€ at amazon.de. A recommended buy if you ask me!

Do you know how much I yearn to own this new polybag set? default_cry4.gif

It's great to see it in review where I can poison myself further to get this. I am very fond of polybags and this is no exception.

Join us in Billund next year and I'll be happy to give you one of those... default_classic.gif

What I wouldn't give to see all the Undersea Explorers in my local Target replaced with this fantastic little set. I can only hope it makes its way into the larger retail stores... *sigh*

Do you know how much I yearn to own this new polybag set? :cry_sad:

Me too. It could have been a great Impulse set, if Impulse sets werent gone.

And polybags are as hard to get (for a decent price) as those d*mn Limited editions set.

Join us in Billund next year and I'll be happy to give you one of those... default_classic.gif

Ohhh! That is indeed a tempting offer. :blush:

Me too. It could have been a great Impulse set, if Impulse sets werent gone.

And polybags are as hard to get (for a decent price) as those d*mn Limited editions set.

All because of its "limited distribution" which attributes to its rarity. :sceptic:

This is a great little freebie. I think all US Lego stores are giving them out with orders over $35. They actually gave me 5 of these guys with a large purchase, although that was during Brickfair and might have been an event promotion. I combined the binoculars with the gun as done on one of the sets in the theme. You also get an extra clear visor in each set.

As did I. The lady walked to the other counter and I heard her rummaging through something and then she came back with a handful of polybags and asked, "Would you like these?" I wanted to say, "Uhh...DUH!" but, i refarined and politely said, "sure". I like this polybag better than the walker(although I may have to get it just to complete the series). If only it came with a different ADU trooper. At least he looks different enough on his other face, so I can get away with it. Plus, now I have 5 of those kick megablocks space backpacks! And, to Cloney 'O, well done and amusing(as usual) review.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Although I don't own one, I just love this set!

Back in the day, I used to play with a jet pack similar to that one of my own creation (the wings were much larger, though, and there was also this "battle jatpack" that was even larger :laugh: ).

Now I HAVE to get one of this!

Thanks for the review, Clone O'Patra! :thumbup:

Oh, I loves me some polybags, I does!

I'm afraid I, like others, just can't resist the appeal of that little printed plastic bag, perhaps piled up on some shop shelf, filled with a tiny yet satisfying amount of goodies. And in this one, we get a jetpack. Jetpacks are cool. And swooshable.

I'm going to have to consider tracking one of these down...

This is a nice little polybag set, thanks for reviewing it, Cloney. I just love the medium blue helmet and minifigure parts, and the printing is just fantastic.

The new gun mold is definitely the highlight for me, though. I just :wub: it!

What an awesome free set. Best free set in a while I'd say :thumbup:

It even comes with binoculars to stick on the end of the gun to make it even more badass!

Thank you for the review!

I really like this as well, however I would have liked it more if the jetpack piece was dark grey rather than black.

I really like this as well, however I would have liked it more if the jetpack piece was dark grey rather than black.

You know, I didn't say it in the review, but I completely agree with you. I like getting that piece at all, but dark grey certainly would've fit with the rest of the jetpack, and with the blue color itself, much better.

Great pics, great review. Yeah, the black piece looks a bit out of place. But still a nice little build.

Hope this will be available for retail sale at some point....

i actually like the design of this set.

if they would leave out the yellow and stick to a single grey it would look even better.

Nothing can help that ugly Dark Azure suit though :thumbdown:

just my opinion.

But i guess i'm a LEGO color segregationist. :laugh:

Too much mixing sets me off.