Wait, what? The Tokugawa shogunate, for example, hired many, many ninjas to guard the shogun's castle. They would disguise themselves as gardeners or servants and work as top secret personal bodyguards.

That's what I thought, too. Even the classic Ninja theme had samurai and ninja allied with one another.

I think the misperception of ninja and samurai being enemies comes from their different sorts of values, and the roles they fulfilled in accordance with those values. Ninja are sneaky and secretive, used as spies, bodyguards, and assassins, whereas samurai are closer to our Western perception of medieval knights, living and fighting according to a code of honor. But saying they were enemies for this reason is like saying the U.S. Marine Corps and the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) are enemies today.

Maybe LEGO is going for the serious plot twist and is going to make Garmadon the green ninja. He could find his inner Spinjitzu or some crap like that and have his transformation where he truly becomes a good guy and helps the ninjas defeat Lloyd. It sounds really cheesy, but this is from the line that gave us Lloyd as the bad guy. It would also keep the four ninjas and the samurai how they are. The same kind of thing could happen to Sensei Wu instead. When Garmadon returns to his evil ways, Wu could turn into the green ninja and defeat him or something like that.

I just got done checking out the pics, and while most of the current Ninjago Line was rather disappointing to me (I was hoping for something like the 1998-2000 Ninja line with Samurai and such), I did pick up a few impulse sets for parts and to add to my previously existing Red and Black ninja armies...

That said, I'm actually looking forward to these sets: The new snake tail leg piece will be perfect for creating some Nagas (Nagini for the females), who will be good guys, and use the snake heads/torsos to make some Yuan-Ti, who will be on the forces of evil. (Do I happen to have D&D 3rd ed. Oriental Adventures and Rokugan sourcebooks, why yes I do!)

In addition, I'm loving that they've included the samurai armor with some of the sets and the "kendo" spinners, and what looks like Samurai Nya (need moar Samurai).

Finally, I really like the new snakes, and is it just me, or do Cole ZX (Black Ninja) and Jay ZX (Blue Ninja) look almost exactly like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden and Shadow from Final Fantasy VI?

Out of the box minifig pics: ZX Ninja

Kendo Ninja

Snakemen

Wow, Jay ZX looks a lot better than I anticipated. I will have to get multiples of him and the other ZX ninjas. They all look awesome, and those Pearl Silver swords on Jay ZX will be very useful for my Heroica RPG character. The hoods are the best part though. The gold and silver plating really compliments the ninja's colorscheme. :thumbup:

The new figures are looking cool, and I like that you can hold two swords on the back in a cross configuration. This could mean there's a sword holder like the one we got with Prince Of Persia sets on the back of either the headscarf or the pauldron piece. Perhaps, even one on each? that would be cool, though I'm not sure how it would work.

The new figures are looking cool, and I like that you can hold two swords on the back in a cross configuration. This could mean there's a sword holder like the one we got with Prince Of Persia sets on the back of either the headscarf or the pauldron piece. Perhaps, even one on each? that would be cool, though I'm not sure how it would work.

If Zane has this feature as well, I might buy the "impulse set" after all.

Instruction booklets for three previously-unseen Ninjago impulse sets have appeared on LEGO.com:

Each one contains one of the ZX ninjas, although regrettably they lack their new shoulder pad/sword holster pieces. Thus for people who dislike the larger sets but like the minifigs, these might not be a suitable alternative.

Cole ZX's buggy (30087) is probably the least interesting of them, partly because it has no new or unique pieces besides minifigure parts and partly because it's quite awkward looking (odd proportions and no tires). The set with Jay ZX and the snake launcher (30085) looks pretty cool in terms of functionality-- I like how the snakes are fired, even if the structure they're fired from looks awfully weird beforehand. And the set with Zane ZX and the decorative weapon compartment/shelf (30086) is very reminiscent of similar (but far simpler) designs in the classic Ninja theme.

It should also be noted that as in some of this year's sets, black parts in instruction booklets have been outlined with white lines rather than black ones. It's something that was done in sets from the early 80s and previous decades, and I'm sure it's much welcomed in terms of increasing visibility (even if it makes the instruction booklets' images of sets and characters look a bit less realistic).

Edited by Aanchir

Ah hope at least one of them will appear in Poland! (Previously only Glider was available) And I agree both stationary sets are pretty cool and have nice actionfeature!

Hey! There is a green snake that is not in any sets!

Nice find. Are these polybag or boxed impulses?

An easy way to build an army, provided you can find them.

Wow just look at the artwork at the back of the books! Proves there will be more than 2 snake 'commanders'...

Wow just look at the artwork at the back of the books! Proves there will be more than 2 snake 'commanders'...

Didn't we already know this from the leaked snake tails from that one Chinese auction site?

Ah hope at least one of them will appear in Poland! (Previously only Glider was available) And I agree both stationary sets are pretty cool and have nice actionfeature!

Hey! There is a green snake that is not in any sets!

That green snake is in the Venomari Shrine. :classic:

Not with a tail though.

Didn't we already know this from the leaked snake tails from that one Chinese auction site?

I remember them yes, but i mean atleast we have a clear look at them from the tail up now.

Not with a tail though.

I believe it is.

Edited by Housey98

Not with a tail though.

I hope you realize you're referring to two different things. Oky's referring to the four-eyed green snakeman general, illustrated at the end of each instruction booklet. Nihilus is referring to the green cobras, which indeed are available in the Venomari Shrine.

People'll have to be more specific than just saying snakes, or no one will understand each-other.

Oops! Sorry, I thought we were talking about Lasha. :wacko:

There are indeed too many snakes in this theme! :tongue:

I hope you realize you're referring to two different things. Oky's referring to the four-eyed green snakeman general, illustrated at the end of each instruction booklet. Nihilus is referring to the green cobras, which indeed are available in the Venomari Shrine.

People'll have to be more specific than just saying snakes, or no one will understand each-other.

Sorry guys. I thought lordofdragonss was talking about the snakes that you launch in 30085. That green general does look cool though. I think that, like the skeletons, the snakes mimic the ninjas. Just think: There are red snakes, blue snakes, and white snakes. The purple ones are probably Cole's counterpart, so the green snakes will be the counterpart of the green ninja. They probably will come in the summer wave, when the green ninja is discovered. :wink:

Edited by darthnihilius

Oops! Sorry, I thought we were talking about Lasha. :wacko:

There are indeed too many snakes in this theme! :tongue:

Indiana Jones would wholeheartedly agree. :laugh:

I wonder how many characters there will be in 2012 by the end of the year... more than in 2011? In 2011 there were four "basic" figs on each side (the ninjas and skeletons), four "deluxe/elite" figs on each side (the DX ninjas and skeleton generals), and a leader for each side (Sensei Wu and Lord Garmadon). There was also Nya, but she was the only source of imbalance between the two sides. The snakemen and ninjas next year have less of a 1:1 correlation, since the snakemen don't have any obvious elemental affiliation, and since there are characters like the Garmadon family whose alignment is not perfectly clear.

A few things I want to point out:

-The golden weapons look totally different

-The Blue snake is General Scales and the two-headed one is probably General Fangdam

-The green and brown snakes are new

-2012, Y U NO COME FASTER?

These really remind me of the GI Joe movie. Cobra-La anyone?

Steve

Ah the impulse sets look like polybag all over. Hopefully the sun have got their next lego promotion worked out :tongue:

A few things I want to point out:

-The golden weapons look totally different

-The Blue snake is General Scales and the two-headed one is probably General Fangdam

-The green and brown snakes are new

-2012, Y U NO COME FASTER?

Which two-headed snake do you mean? If you are referring to the one with the tail, I think you're wrong. From the pictures we got, the one WITHOUT the tail is supposed to be Fangdam. I can't tell what colour the snake is(the one your saying is brown) but I think it's will be black or purple. Mind telling me why you think it's brown?(No offense intended :wink:)