Pieces: 187

Minifigures: 4

Year of release: 2011

Price at release: EUR 19,99/GPB 18,99/USD 19.99

Time to build: ½ hour

Brickshelf gallery

Shop description

Help the king’s knight escape!

One of the king’s knights is being held captive in the tower by the evil dragon knights! Another king’s knight is here to help and smashes through the prison gate with his ballista. Help him avoid the crashing boulders being hurled his way from the tower gate catapult! Then defeat the dragon knight on horseback to escape!

• Includes 4 minifigures: 2 king’s knights and 2 dragon knights

• Features fully armored horse

• Smash through the prison gates with the ballista’s flick shooter!

• Roll the ballista into position and fire!

• Scale the prison tower!

• Measures over 7” (17cm) wide and 6” (15cm) tall

• Ballista measures over 2” (5cm) wide and 2” (5cm) long

• Horse measures over 3” (7cm) long

Intro

This is my first Castle themed set to review, and the first one I’ve bought in a small decade. Because of this I do not have much experience with these kind of sets, since I’m more a city guy. So I apoligize for any inconvience

Review

7187_1.jpg

The box. The dragon knights try to defend their wall, while the lion knight triest o free the prisonner. As always the box art is very appealing, although I like the ‘good guys’boxes more, since they have more color in them.

7187_2.jpg

Side of the box, it was probaly to small to fit a 1:1 image of a minifig so they took the mouse.

sdc10117.jpg

Back of the box, showing the functions of the set.

7187_3.jpg

And this is inside, three bags and the instructions. And suprise, no stickers! Not that I don’t like stickers though.

7187_6.jpg

The instructions had a few adds, like this one, and another one for the grand failure called Lego Universe. I like this page, but I would prefer the old posters that you could hang up in your Lego rooms.

7187_5.jpg

Another page showing the other sets.

7187_4.jpg

Piece callout, on the back of the instructions we all know what we will see there.

7187_7.jpg

And once opened we get a fair amount of pieces, since I haven’t bought medieval sets in a very long time I was suprised with the detailed printing on the figures. More on that in the following pics.

7187_11.jpg

The first to figs are also my favorite. The Dragon Knights. The left one seems like a funny guy, like he’s drunk or something. And the other one, on the right, is some sort of elite knight. He looks incredibly cool with his armour, shield and sword.

7187_8.jpg

He also has a double sided head.

7187_9.jpg

7187_10.jpg

7187_12.jpg

The other two knights, I thought they were called Lion Knights. They’re fairly cool, but also very standard troops.

7187_13.jpg

They have also detailed back printing.

7187_14.jpg

And one of them also has a double sided head.

7187_17.jpg

The horse, also one of my favorite parts in this set. With armour he’s very cool, fitting the other Dragon Knights perfectly.

7187_18.jpg

Side view

7187_16.jpg

And with the elite knight on top.

7187_15.jpg

The other ‘vehicle’ is this small catapult/cannon thingy. It uses a flick fire missile to shoot. It’ve very simple but also effective, although I wish they put the value of these parts into something else.

7187_19.jpg

The prison gate starts simple, just stapling bricks. It’s a fast build, but it uses a fair amount of bricks, rather than using BURP pieces.

7187_20.jpg

The gate/prison finished. It’s not big, even a little small. However you can’t have much more for this price.

7187_21.jpg

Back view

7187_22.jpg

On top is a small catapult to throw bricks at the enemies

7187_23.jpg

For some reason the designers put this diamond in this set, like it was not already enough to free a prisonner? I like it, and as a child I loved to have these diamonds, or other valuables in Lego form.

7187_24.jpg

The prison is very small. It is easy to acces because of the back door

A_7187_box_front.jpg

Conclusion

Pieces: 8/10 A fair amount, but not really anything we have not seen before. The armour and helmet for the Dragon knight make mostly up for this set as does the minifig count. Also compared to other sets, like the battlepacks, it’s a steal.

Minifigures: 10/10 The elite dragon knight was the main reason for me to buy this set. He has incredibly good armour, and the other figs are also very nice. The amount (4) is also welcome, since Lego has the habit to include only the minimum amount of figs in a set.

Build: 6/10 good, but nothing fancy

Price: 9/10 As said, compared to other sets in this price range it’s a very good deal

Playability: 8/10 For a set this small you get both the good guys and bad guys, you can free the prisonner, or steal the diamond, make a small battle, or just play the soldiers need to sneak behind the wall. So yes playability is high.

Conculsion: The set is good, and probaly also as an army builder. The structure itself lacks some small things, and the fact that the horseguy can’t even go under it is also a little strange. However the price, pieces, minifigs and playability make this set well worth the price. Especially compared to other themes.

I give the set a: 8.2

Thanks for reading

Edited by Brickviller

I got like 18 copies of this set, so I definitely agree its a great army builder! I should probably get 2 more so I can have 20 dragon knight horse bardings! The structure itself is a bit lacking, but its still great.

Thanks 'Brickviller' for this review, this set can be one of two things....as 'lego40k' pointed out an army builder, then on the other hand - it's that birthday present you give a kid when you don't know what to buy ! :laugh:

It's a playset with two of each soldier plus a horse.....a perfect starter set for anyone wanting to start collecting Kingdom's or for that fact any Lego ! :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

I got like 18 copies of this set, so I definitely agree its a great army builder! I should probably get 2 more so I can have 20 dragon knight horse bardings! The structure itself is a bit lacking, but its still great.

Me too! Also the big dragonshield is also a nice new welcome!

Me too! Also the big dragonshield is also a nice new welcome!

yea definitely. My dragon knight army has the most horse bardings and oval shields. now all they need to do is make a 10 dollar joust set between lion and dragon knight, so I can get dozens of those.

I finally was able to get this set! Every store in town has been sold out and I didn't want to place any orders online since we were in the process of moving. But luckily one Walmart had one last copy so I snatched it. I love it. I love that armor and the barding. And for the price I love having 4 guys (2 of which are Dragons) since the cheap Prison Carriage Escape only had 1 dragon and 2 lions, so my lion army is really outnumbering the dragons.

Great review. I've been looking for this set, but I'm holding out to get it cheaper in USA.

whoah! the details on the elite knight! what a stunning figure! thanks for review, I'm no Kingdoms collector, but I pick up the occasional set. maybe this is the one?

Thanks for reviewing this set.

I like the armored knight too! and the build/design of the prison.

I think the reason they added the jewel to the set is it's an easy way to add an extra play scenario to a small set. More important to kids, for whom this might be the only set they get, than to AFOLs who see it as an army builder.

I think the reason they added the jewel to the set is it's an easy way to add an extra play scenario to a small set. More important to kids, for whom this might be the only set they get, than to AFOLs who see it as an army builder.

Yeah, same with the small red cart and mini catapult. AFOLs wouldn't need those, but don't mind, since that's just about a dozen parts anyway.

This set is just twice the price of the set below, and you get the same horse eh.

my flickr

Well, it makes sense, as these are the 'baddies' they should have black horses. A white or brown horse would seems a bit odd in my view.

I agree. I picture white horses for the Lions and black horses for the Dragons. Not that the horses have any say in the matter of course. I'm sure there are just as many tempestuous white horses as there are black.

Ive be'n thinking about getting this, but not for awhile, and I love the elite dragon knight! But the building is a bit small, but the parts look good. And the other figs will add to my lion and dragion forces.