Sign in to follow this  
Zane

2007 Bionicle

I guess it's "possible" that's a prototype pic... but I doubt it.

No point in holding off opening one's wallet. The Inika just out now look way better.

Probably won't see the "good" figures until halfway through next year.

Not to be pessimistic, but the return of Piraka flaws is not a good thing.

(...rubber spines... again...)

Greg Farshtey said that this was indeed the final set. I like it, but the body is way too bare for me, and it has almost not armor. :'-(

... and the spine. Ugh.

It's build is hunched, which may hide the thin body and make it look more...shelly.

-Tilius-

You can't make too much of a judgement yet....however, I'm not getting the same buzz from this as I usually do with new sets. Greg says they're not clones - but to Lego that's a different shaped mask, slightly different armour and stuff. But they're all the same basic set.

-Tilius-

First off, why doesn't everyone stop bashing the set until they have it in their hands? There coud be a few good explanations for a couple of things we "don't like..."

Toa Tilius, its been stated by Greg that, "The other sets look very(or much) different from this one. So if you don't like this one, check out the others before making a statement about them being bad, or calling them clone sets. To Lego, not being a clone set means a different spine and mask and perhaps different pieces for the lower legs and such, but GregF has heard our lamentations about Clone sets, so I doubt he would mislead us when he said that.

Second, I don't see anything that connects the "Spine" to the waist or lower section of this mysterious creature... and eveyone knows that, without being connected to the bottom of the Piraka, those rubber spines pop right up. Perhaps, like the Rahkshi, these sets have a shell made of plastic that doesn't move, giving the appearence of a hunched creature. It also looks like it connects by peg... Rubber can't connect by peg! Besides, if SO many of you don't like Rubber spines, you should've worded it out on BZP, which Lego listens to most of the time... remember Toa Lihkan?

Those Red Eyes could be Red Ball joints... to me, that's hella tight.

Notice how the top part of his body can'[t be seen? Maybe a giant rod doesn't exist there, but some kind of torso piece. Besides, Lego has had some bad designs(*CoughVAHKI!OH, MAN, THE VAHKI!Cough*), but they've always had some kind of chest and shoulders.

That huge claw would beat the hell out of Naparu's, so I'm getting it for that... GREAT MoCing ability.

Anyways, let's see how things play out, eh? Don't want to sound pissed... but... I AM. Playability is a big thing, so hold it in your hand and then we'll see what's so bad.

Besides, Lego's not going to follow up a Revolutionary Set(The Inika... INIKA) with something extremely bland. They'll try to outdo themselves, because that's what kids want... something that looks, plays, builds, and tastes better then the last.

Toa of Muffins over on In_the_Bricks pointed out that there was something "urchin-like" about it.

What if the reason for the... eh... "basic" build is due to a function, like transforming?

Like, every one of these guys that are "different" are so because they each represent a different sea creature to transform into?

But hell, I'm gettin' ahead of myself.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

First off, why doesn't everyone stop bashing the set until they have it in their hands? There coud be a few good explanations for a couple of things we "don't like..."

Toa Tilius, its been stated by Greg that, "The other sets look very(or much) different from this one. So if you don't like this one, check out the others before making a statement about them being bad, or calling them clone sets. To Lego, not being a clone set means a different spine and mask and perhaps different pieces for the lower legs and such, but GregF has heard our lamentations about Clone sets, so I doubt he would mislead us when he said that.

Okay, the first part is one of the things that I usually say. Secondly, I never 'bashed' the set, I just said that the 'non-clone' sets will probably be clones. And playability isn't a big thing for everybody. Displayability is my thing, mocability is Jinzo's thing etc.

And the Inika weren't that 'revolutionary'. They're the same idea as the Piraka. And the heads sucked, the proportions sucked...they weren't incredible.

-Tilius-

This guy looks kind of like a hybrid predator/super shredder. Sort of the impish hellspawn type of look. I don't collect them so I really dont care about them much at all anyway but this looks preety cool. I like the Piraka and I loved the Rakashi before I bought one and realized half the parts were not even hard plastic. Though I very much refrain from buying any bionicle at any price now.

I am not sure why people dislike the Vahki though. The parts a good hard plastic and other than the somewhat silly head the parts are all usable and in cool colors.

I think too many of the 14 year olds on BZP whine about this kind of stuff because the older ones do and not because they don't like the figures. These new figures are a drastic improvement over the original 2001 stuff. Yes, they have faults but on the whole will be better than what came before them.

Bionicle Transformers!? ...

I like that Idea.

This coming from some guy named optimus :-| Weve already had transformers, remeber the bohrok? seriously tho i could imagine him rolling up into a ball. I was expectime them to be more crab like and less lizard looken. It looks as if there is enough space in his stomach area for him to took his head in. It seem as if his chest area is just one long thin technic piece

Okay, the first part is one of the things that I usually say. Secondly, I never 'bashed' the set, I just said that the 'non-clone' sets will probably be clones. And playability isn't a big thing for everybody. Displayability is my thing, mocability is Jinzo's thing etc.

And the Inika weren't that 'revolutionary'. They're the same idea as the Piraka. And the heads sucked, the proportions sucked...they weren't incredible.

Well, I know you didn't bash the sets, I should've made that clearer. Displayability? Oh, Displaying them? Well, i think you could make some intimidating poses with this guy... and the MoCing pieces on him seem great...

As for the Inika, they were, in a sense. They took away all functionality and gear movement for simply playability... and they were the first to have weapons with light up functions... new rubber masks, new head pieces... I'd say they changed the way new fans will look at Toa.

Overall, 2006 is different from any other year... Lego is just trying new things.

Now... back to this set...

How the hell are you going to fit that in a canister?

*Prays for no Inika-sized canisters*

This set intrigues me. To me, even though the return of the spines isn't too good, they seem to suit this new creature more than the Piraka. This set is a lot more insect like, whereas the Piraka had a bit of a humanoid shape going on. It'll be interesting to see what follows this next year.

I love the idea of them being more animal\alien creature like. *y*

If they are, I'll be collecting this line of bionicle.

But I hope the spines are not attached to the head.

The spines are alright, but it limits mocing potentials. *n*

Now, I'm not a huge fan of bionicle but I can see the appeal and try to even incorperate parts in more system mocs. It's rare to do so and have it look fitting.

"Polypen" is German and the plural of "Polyp". It's either "adenoids" (medical term, don't think that's the appropriate one here ;-)) or "octopuses/octopi".

Are you sure? Octopi are molluscs, while polyps are cnidarians (such as coral and sea anemones)

coralpolyp.jpg

The two Phylums may have some superficial similarities but are quite distinct.

Hey,now that i look at that 07 Bionicle figure's head,i realise that with a gold/brown,blue or white one,i can make a self-MOC with articulated head!(My current self-MOC has a legless Visorak as head :-P )

"Polypen" is German and the plural of "Polyp". It's either "adenoids" (medical term, don't think that's the appropriate one here ;-)) or "octopuses/octopi".

Are you sure? Octopi are molluscs, while polyps are cnidarians (such as coral and sea anemones)

[...]

The two Phylums may have some superficial similarities but are quite distinct.

Well, I'm not a marine biologist, I don't know the difference. I just tried to translate it as best as possible. The general public doesn't know the difference anyways, for them it's the same. When they hear "octopus" or "polyp" they think about sea monsters with tentacles. And I don't think TLC has thought about biological subtleties, either, when they chose the name ;-)

Well, I'm not a marine biologist, I don't know the difference. I just tried to translate it as best as possible. The general public doesn't know the difference anyways, for them it's the same. When they hear "octopus" or "polyp" they think about sea monsters with tentacles. And I don't think TLC has thought about biological subtleties, either, when they chose the name ;-)

I'm a biology nut, so I couldn't resist. I would be impressed if the general public even knew polyps were organisms and not just the nonmalignant growths or tumors. I'm sure the general public doesn't care much about such trivial information, but I thought I'ld contribute none the less.

also polyps are hardly monsterous unless your the size of a water flea, but they can be slightly poisonous (most are non lethal) if you step on them.

If the bionicle has tentacles, I will be pleased regaurdless of what it's called. *y*

More detailed descriptions of the sets at Amazon.de ...after (rough) translation:

Mantax

Mantax lurks its opponents in the darkness up and attacks it then from the rear. It is equipped with a thick tank, poisonous red pricks and strong pliers.

Carapar

Carapar is two times as broadly as it long is. With its long arms and enormous claws he masters each obstacle. Owing to its thick tank it is nearly invulnerable - only with electrical connection one has a chance against it.

Pridak

Pridak floats gladly calmly over its motionless victims before it very fast slams shut. Also the strongest tank is not for its razor-sharp teeth a problem. Pridak is well-known for its sudden anger.

TakadoxTakadox is larger and more fear-exciting than all other Barakki. It lurks in a small rock cave, which shines in the dark. If someone goes past, he slams shut very fast.

Kalmah

Kalmah catches its opponents with its long Tentakeln and suction cups. It has three eyes and five Tentakeln on the back of its head. With those it is in the situation each movement behind its back takes place to notice.

Were we right, or what?

Not quite transformers, but the minimalistic designs were to accomodate play features.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

Oh, cool. Very cool.

Kalmah with his tentacles excites me. Alot. Bionicle tentacles at last. :'-)

Shakar

Here's a transalation that makes more sense than the lousy job the online transalator did ;-) :

Mantax

Mantax lurks in the darkness and attacks his opponents from the rear. He is equipped with a thick tank, poisonous, red pinchers and strong pliers.

Carapar

Carapar is two times as long as he is wide. With its long arms and enormous claws he masters the challenges of each obstacle. He is nearly invulnerable thanks to his thick tank