XimenaPaulina

LEGO Star Wars 2012 Pictures and Rumors

Oh dear! Pre Vizsla's Starfighter is beatiful! One of the best sets for 2012. There should be first dark saber! If it is in the second half of this year, I will only say...

...Dear Santa...

Dear Lego.....

Would be a beautiful thing, though if the Rancor pit ever appears there should be another one with it

I think to keep it in line with the scene there would be one more. Maybe another 2 with the Barge. A battle pack would be awesome though

Just wanted to voice a concern with the increased detailing in the SW minifigs. All the increased detailing in the minifigs is concerning me. I think printing is one thing but to add all the details in specific molds such as Lando, Gamorrean Guard, Boushh is concerning me. Take a look at a minifig when LEGO SW began and how they looked last year. You can see a very evident difference. Now this year, all these new minifigs are breaking the mold. There is a going to be a huge difference in the look of the minifigs just between last and this year. Look at the Gamorrean Guard, aside from the arms and the legs, it's hard to tell that this a LEGO minifig. Some are already commenting on how the details make the minifigs look like action figures. Does anyone think this is too much? Where are we going to be 3-5 years from now. People are going to be demanding highly detailed minifigs that are going to look less and less like LEGO minifigs. I think this is a dangerous time. When does the detailing become too much?

Just wanted to voice a concern with the increased detailing in the SW minifigs. All the increased detailing in the minifigs is concerning me. I think printing is one thing but to add all the details in specific molds such as Lando, Gamorrean Guard, Boushh is concerning me. Take a look at a minifig when LEGO SW began and how they looked last year. You can see a very evident difference. Now this year, all these new minifigs are breaking the mold. There is a going to be a huge difference in the look of the minifigs just between last and this year. Look at the Gamorrean Guard, aside from the arms and the legs, it's hard to tell that this a LEGO minifig. Some are already commenting on how the details make the minifigs look like action figures. Does anyone think this is too much? Where are we going to be 3-5 years from now. People are going to be demanding highly detailed minifigs that are going to look less and less like LEGO minifigs. I think this is a dangerous time. When does the detailing become too much?

+1

Its a shame there's not many shots of Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan. I noticed both come with different facial expressions compared to last year and it would've been interesting to see if they had double sided heads as well.

I think is a good shot:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/swexperience/toyfair2012/lego/pages/LEGO2012045.html

And Luke (skiff) seems to wear a new piece (plastic) representing some kind of cape:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/swexperience/toyfair2012/lego/pages/LEGO2012053.html

Edit:

No, it's just a printed grey torso that doesn't quite on the leg part.

I see the problem. But actually, I like Boushh. I'm looking for phase II Wolffe and Rex either. So currently, this is no issue I want to complain about.

Edited by Brickadeer

I can see your point but just think that this will carry on and progress for as we have now seen today the next 10 years. I'm still not overly hapy with the peach coloured faces on the licensed stuff and prefer the traditional yellow which to me is what Lego is all about but I guess this is what companies call 'progress'.! I would rather good detail than poor detail tough but at the same time I can see your points

I have thought a lot about this. I agree 100% with you.

This is absolutely the max level of detail they should do.

I simply love the old figs like jar jar, yoda(normal), chewe, old Gamorrean, plo koon(not so old), kit fisto.

But sure they have to grow better so they made Shaak Ti, Boba Fett, Mon Calamaris and so on.

But this!? I don't know what to think.

Sandtroopers, ARC trooper, C-3PO, Gamorrean guard, Boushh.

I think Watto is the line to overdetailing.

As long as the general makeup of the minifigure remains the same, I don't see the problem. Even with a detailed head (for Gamorrean) or helmet (Boussh), it's still a minifigure in all of its unposable goodness. The torso is the same, the legs are the same, the arms are the same, and that's what matters. In most cases, the head is the same as well. Yes, there's a high level of printed detail and in some cases moulded detail, but that doesn't turn it into an action figure. If they change the torso and arms and legs to add more points of articulation or something, that would be bad. That would be like an action figure. But more detail? That is in no way like an action figure.

I personally don't like the aesthetic of the Sandtroopers, but that's fine. You don't have to like the amount of detail on some figures, but that doesn't spell doom for less crazy minifigures. Look at all of the minifigures in this summer wave that are perfectly fine in terms of detail. They overwhelm the amount that are not.

I've just done a quick price calculation for Jabba's Palace (using the Lego £-$ exchange rate :wink:)

If it's $119.99 then it should be £102.99 (based on 8098 - Clone Turbo Tank & 7964 Republic Frigate).....I can live with that, and if it's available via Amazon it should be a bit less eventually!

Did I read correctly the price tag for the advent calendar as $49.99? Hoping I'm just tired

Going through all the pics with my kids, I can see Jabbas palace being on the christmas list......They'll have to decide that or the vampires castle, whatever they don't want Im getting :laugh:

Edited by surrideo

Unfortunately the Malevolence is another Starfighter with no exclusive figs and it's CW which is less appealing to AFOLs so it takes a back seat to those sets you mentioned which everyone has been waiting forever for

Too bad about Maul already released looks preliminary to me, they could of at least given him something to portray the MC hammer super baggy pants

I agree with you on Padme, however unfortunately the characters are sometimes so bland in the films themselves that there's only so much that Lego can do.

Malevolence is the only existing official Lego produced Confederate ship which can be used as an opponent to Venator. The Clone Wars era is also quite substantial and important in SW history and therefore saying that it is "less appealing to AFOLs" is a very big generalisation (and quite probably wrong). Although I do agree with you that it probably will take the back seat when compared to Jabba's palace and skiff.

Edited by legolandia

I can see where you are coming from but I have to say that yours is a very 'doom and gloom' view of this subject. You are comparing the first LSW minifigures with those last year. Well, you can't expect that they would remain the same in 10+ years. The technology has advanced considerable to start with and therefore producing more detailed minifigures is easier and cheaper. Plus there's such a thing called evolution as opposed to stagnation. I am not quite sure how you can say there's going to be "huge difference in the look of the minifigs just between last and this year"? Where is this huge difference?

The minifigures have retained their original shape perfectly (torso, legs, arms, head and height) and that's what is important. For special characters there are going to be special molds produced but that has been done since the beginning anyway (Yoda, Chewie, ewoks etc) so there's no change there.

In 3 to 5 years time we will be in exactly the same position. There will be a cape more here and a few more details there but the basic shape will remain the same. And there will still be some people who will dislike them and other who will love them. In the end though the majority are still going to buy them :wink:

yeah I agree with you 100%

OK The detailing looks nice but,I think it doesnt look like a LEGO minifig anymore

its a bit to much. as a fan of the older types of lego i prefer the minifigs with the yellow head more.

also what upp with that faces in almost every set is a figure with an dubble face. why not just one face like they use to do. I mean what do you want with an dubble faced leia boushh when you got an helmet on her. even some faces are almost the same :thumbdown: . so I deceided to skip a year SW again and look for the older UCS sets hehe :wink:

Still no pictures of Plapatine's Arrest?

It's probably going to be exclusive to certain stores, so it's not surprising that it hasn't been shown here.

It's probably going to be exclusive to certain stores, so it's not surprising that it hasn't been shown here.

Yes, but the Pre Visla fighter is rumored to be Wal-Mart exclusive, and they're showing that, so why not the Arrest set? It's all contradictory and confusing to me. :sceptic:

Yes, but the Pre Visla fighter is rumored to be Wal-Mart exclusive, and they're showing that, so why not the Arrest set? It's all contradictory and confusing to me. :sceptic:

Remember that we didn't know about Pre Vizsla's fighter until very recently. Maybe Wal-Mart decided they wanted TLG to show the set, and whoever's carrying Palpy's Arrest didn't. (probably TRU)

Remember that we didn't know about Pre Vizsla's fighter until very recently. Maybe Wal-Mart decided they wanted TLG to show the set, and whoever's carrying Palpy's Arrest didn't. (probably TRU)

Maybe. Last year's summer wave had a Target exclusive, though, so I think that's probably where Palpy's Arrest is going.

Taking a quick look at the FBTB photo gallery for the toy fair Pre Visla's starfighter is reported to be the Target exclusive, so it is likely that Palpy's Arrest is the Wallmart exclusive. One thing though, Wallmart did not have an exclusive in the 2012 winter wave. Do they only get one exclusive a year?

I disagree. While the alien molds look weird, they've always looked that way. The main difference is that now they're a heck of a lot less ugly. New Watto, for instance, looks slightly un-LEGO-ish, but old Watto was terrible, and looked more like a personality-less animal, rather than a character as developed as his human co-stars. I welcome the more detailed figs, compared to the soulless one-color molds of yesteryear.

I would've liked something more like this for Padme

28u3gh2.png

© Otherworld

Edited by Otherworld

Now that I've taken a brief look at the FBTB coverage, I must say, I'm rather impressed. I've never understood why people ahte detailed figs before, and I don't understand it now, so Jabba's Palace looks great- if not expensive- for me. I'll definitely get it if I can. Malevolance is harder to tell, because the figs don't buy it for me- though if they put the Tactical Droid back in I'd be more interested- and I don't have any Republic Fighters of any kind to really use it with. However, it is a nice ship overrall, so if the oppurtunity arises after LotR purchases, I'll go for it. Fury doesn't really sell it for me, despite Sith Troopers and Malgus. The Striker, on the other hand, looks appearling- and cheap too! Only 50 bucks up in Canada? Sold! 30 bucks for the Skiff isn't bad either! As for the Gungun Sub, I don't have much interest. Sure, the Queen'd be great, but for that high a cost, it's not worth it. And I have no interest at all for Visla's ship.

Again, LotR sets will really determine what I get here, but what I like here is well priced, for once.