XimenaPaulina

LEGO Star Wars 2012 Pictures and Rumors

A review of Jabba's Palace has been done by IdS user NoIR DsIR.

Sidasa also finished his review of Palpatine's Arrest.

Greetings

-Bane

Thanks Bane.

If they wanted to justify the price of this set, they should have used chrome gold for Palp's lightsabre hilt, and for the statues instead of pearl gold.

Don't know if anyone said this yet but if you look at the second last picture of Imperium der Steine's review of palpatine's arrest Agen Kolar has a new darker blue lightsaber blade :wub:*oh2* (click on Bane's link a few comments above to get to Iperium der Steine :wink:)

Sorry but he may have added that in himself, the set doesn't come with a new blue lightsaber blade color... That's too bad because I was hoping for it too!

I'm not sure why everyone's hating on the new Palpatine's Arrest. This is one of the few Prequel sets that has gotten my interest mostly because of the non-CW faces for the Jedi. I'll likely get it and add more walls and maybe make it larger. It's a playset of course, not meant to be displayed but meant to be played in.

The more I see Jabba's Palace the more I like it :wub:

As for Palpatines Arrest, although it's not one for me, I also can't understand why its' garnering so much dislike. Imo it looks like a good play-set - it has some unusual angles for Lego and some smart little features, the window is nice too and the vehicle is an unexpected bonus. If I had any interest in the PT I might be tempted to by this set (and the figs would most likely seal the deal).

Don't know if anyone said this yet but if you look at the second last picture of Imperium der Steine's review of palpatine's arrest Agen Kolar has a new darker blue lightsaber blade :wub:*oh2* (click on Bane's link a few comments above to get to Iperium der Steine :wink:)

Sorry but he may have added that in himself, the set doesn't come with a new blue lightsaber blade color... That's too bad because I was hoping for it too!

Actually, that is Windu's purple blade. There are two normal blue blades, two green, one red, and a purple.

The Palace would be really cool to have, but I have too choose between that or the Malevolence (budget), so I'm probably going Malevolence since it's from PT/CW (I like that era better than the OT).

The more I see Jabba's Palace the more I like it :wub:

As for Palpatines Arrest, although it's not one for me, I also can't understand why its' garnering so much dislike. Imo it looks like a good play-set - it has some unusual angles for Lego and some smart little features, the window is nice too and the vehicle is an unexpected bonus. If I had any interest in the PT I might be tempted to by this set (and the figs would most likely seal the deal).

It took me awhile for it to finally pin down what bothers me about the Palpatines Arrest set. Look at it. Now look at 6868 Hulks Helicarrier Breakout. The two sets are very similar in content. Each is a play set with some angled platforms, a good amount of licensed minifigs and a small vehicle. Really very similar in terms of content. 6868 is $49 USD. Palpatine is $99. It certainly isn't a major difference in the size of the kit? The play sets aren't that far off. And if they are then someone is just padding the piece count to inflate the price. Ok fine Palp's has 2 extra minifigs, whereas HHB has a huge Hulk. Is that enough to justify double the price? (or worse if this thing hits TRU)

I typically hand Lego money hand over fist. This is one of the first ones to make me pause and ask "you want me to pay how much? For office space?" this would have been the years best set at $49. It would have been a great set at $79. At $100 a pop, sorry no. That hits my final mental wall.

Edited by Faefrost

Admittedly I didn't consider the price when posting my comment and I can totally appreciate that, although being a pretty good playset, it may not be worth the asking price. I've had the impression from the outset that Palpatines Arrest is going to be a TRU (or whoever) exclusive and if that's the case there will be the usual TRU tax on top of the Lucas tax :cry_sad:. BUT in my experience, if you are willing to wait, it's never necessary to pay full price for Lego.

Jabba's Palace and the Skiff are a must-have for every real Lego OT fan! :wub:

Apart from that at - at least at one side - walls are missing, Palpatine's Arrest does really look amazing! It's a pity that I decided to only buy OT sets (but more is absolutely not possible)! :oh:

Klaus-Dieter

My thoughts exactly :wink:

It took me awhile for it to finally pin down what bothers me about the Palpatines Arrest set. Look at it. Now look at 6868 Hulks Helicarrier Breakout. The two sets are very similar in content. Each is a play set with some angled platforms, a good amount of licensed minifigs and a small vehicle. Really very similar in terms of content. 6868 is $49 USD. Palpatine is $99. It certainly isn't a major difference in the size of the kit? The play sets aren't that far off. And if they are then someone is just padding the piece count to inflate the price. Ok fine Palp's has 2 extra minifigs, whereas HHB has a huge Hulk. Is that enough to justify double the price? (or worse if this thing hits TRU)

I typically hand Lego money hand over fist. This is one of the first ones to make me pause and ask "you want me to pay how much? For office space?" this would have been the years best set at $49. It would have been a great set at $79. At $100 a pop, sorry no. That hits my final mental wall.

I almost bought your comparisons of those two sets, then I checked Hulks piece count-389. Palpys Arrest has 645 I believe. Good argument other than that. :wink:

I almost bought your comparisons of those two sets, then I checked Hulks piece count-389. Palpys Arrest has 645 I believe. Good argument other than that. :wink:

Well ok Palp's has a much higher piece count. But what are you getting for that? How is that increased piece count showing up? Because it does not appear to be a substantially larger set? If anything it has fewer "play" features? Is the detailing that much greater? And if so how much of a value add is that in a play set? I get that there is a per piece element to the pricing. But traditionally that has more or less equated to the overall size and complexity of the sets. Unless there are some really over the top hidden features going on here, it has that suspicious feel of "use smaller pieces to the same end". I'm not saying that Lego is trying to manipulate anything or overprice anything. They have their pricing formulas and such, and they are in part based on per piece. But I just don't think they are hitting that price to value comparison sweet spot in this one.

Of course if you are looking for a reason to get this thing, 2 words. "cloud city". This is the overpriced play set that is only going to appeal to the adult collectors. Add to that that it is an exclusive to certain stores. Most Lego purchasing parents are going to walk right past this one. Meaning it will be rarer and have a shorter shelf life.

Whereas Jabba's Palace will do quite well. Every Lego loving parent will look at it, dream of the sail barge they always wanted but never got, and buy two. The nearly naked Twi'leck minifigs will quietly find their way to dads figure stash. And there will be tons of Jabba figs and light tan bricks on brick set.

Edited by Faefrost

I don't recall having seen this mini MTT mentioned yet in this topic. I like the CW color scheme on it. Via Hothbricks

I don't like it, the shape doesn't flow.

Oh and it is on the front page (The instruction page image anyway, 5th set up from the bottom).

Well ok Palp's has a much higher piece count. But what are you getting for that? How is that increased piece count showing up? Because it does not appear to be a substantially larger set? If anything it has fewer "play" features? Is the detailing that much greater? And if so how much of a value add is that in a play set? I get that there is a per piece element to the pricing. But traditionally that has more or less equated to the overall size and complexity of the sets. Unless there are some really over the top hidden features going on here, it has that suspicious feel of "use smaller pieces to the same end". I'm not saying that Lego is trying to manipulate anything or overprice anything. They have their pricing formulas and such, and they are in part based on per piece. But I just don't think they are hitting that price to value comparison sweet spot in this one.

That's just so hard to gauge before you buy sets. I'm not a fan of the price either, but taking into account the amount of new and desirable minifigures in this thing, it's not totally unjustified. Comparing this set to the Helicarrier Breakout is nonsense. That is a sparce little facade with what? A holding cell and a control panel console. That doesn't compare at all to the nicely styled office in Palpatine's Arrest, completed with a nice big carpet area, meeting space around the desk, and the big windows. What's actually pretty neat about Palpatine's Arrest is that the play features are completely hidden; it looks like just a normal floor and window until you activate the features.

I'm not saying you're unjustified in your grumblings, since I too prefer sets that feel nice and large for their price rather than compact with many pieces either hidden in the structure or just small details. Still, taking everything about the set into account, I'm not sure it's that far off the mark. It's just a different style of thing for the price, which is a style you might not like.

That's just so hard to gauge before you buy sets. I'm not a fan of the price either, but taking into account the amount of new and desirable minifigures in this thing, it's not totally unjustified. Comparing this set to the Helicarrier Breakout is nonsense. That is a sparce little facade with what? A holding cell and a control panel console. That doesn't compare at all to the nicely styled office in Palpatine's Arrest, completed with a nice big carpet area, meeting space around the desk, and the big windows. What's actually pretty neat about Palpatine's Arrest is that the play features are completely hidden; it looks like just a normal floor and window until you activate the features.

I'm not saying you're unjustified in your grumblings, since I too prefer sets that feel nice and large for their price rather than compact with many pieces either hidden in the structure or just small details. Still, taking everything about the set into account, I'm not sure it's that far off the mark. It's just a different style of thing for the price, which is a style you might not like.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not really grumbling so much. I'm just saying I finally worked out what bothers me so much with this set vs some others. ( heck I'm not a fan of the HHB set either, but this one just seems worse). You kind of nailed it for me. It's twice the price because it has a nicer carpet, more meeting space and a better view... Are we talking a Lego set here or an actual apartment or office space? Because those are big time value adds for one, but kind of strange selling points for the other. For another $20 can they add in some cubical farms? ( on a positive note they finally seem to have given us a desk without a coffee cup or coffee maker).

I think I will have to pass on Palpatine's arrest since it is way too overpriced. :thumbdown: Not cool TLG. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

I'm torn between basically all the summer Star wars sets. Damn you Lego!! :laugh: . Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Skiff: Not a really big set and I have no idea of the price for any of the sets. The only thing I could see worth getting are the minifigures. All are exclusive I hear? Nice one Lego. I don't really have a wide collection of pieces, so I think that the pieces are also worth getting too.

Jedi Star-fighter: Considering the fact that I don't have any Jedi star-fighters at all, and me wanting to collect as many Jedi as possible, this set is quite attractive to me. Ploo Koon's: Ejector Seat. Other's starfighters: Astromech ejector. This one: Flick-fire missiles (Again!) and escape pod! The exclusive Jedi is a little...ugly. No offence though.

Republic Striker Star-fighter. I heard (and saw) that it is based on something called 'The old Republic'. I have no idea what it is. I don't really follow Star Wars. The minifigures are. Interesting. The droid looks... chunky. Not my favourite minifigures. About the star fighter, someone (I shall not reveal him) says that: “A strange looking red star-fighter like the X-wing". I think that the wings can fold in and out, right? That is quite interesting.

Gungan Sub: Very interesting design. I've missed the previous version, and is looking forward to the new one. I don't have any of the minifigures, just like all the other sets. I’m not sure what features the sub contains. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks

Fury Class Fighter: I like the minifigures. Unique design. The fighter is bigger than I expected, and that is a pleasant surprise. I could hazard a guess that it includes flick-fire missiles and a opening cockpit.

Jabbas Palace: There has been a lot of discussion about this set. Personally, I think that it is a great work of art. The design and minifigures are wonderful. Although I hear that it is seriously overpriced.......

Malevolence: As I mentioned in my first post in this forum, this is the first set that catches my eye when I glanced through all the summer sets the first time they are leaked. Something like the Ventor-Class Republic Attack Cruiser, which is the first Star Wars set I’ve received. The minifigures are not as unique as the ones in the other sets above, but it still has its uniqueness. I hope that the features will not disappoint me. After all, this is the biggest set of this wave :classic:

So, which set should cause my wallet to be bombarded by me? :laugh: I hope that you, the more experienced collectors in Star Wars, could advise and recommend me as to which set should I buy.

Regards,

Omega X

i've already seen the new wave of sets in stores here in Holland but I was shocked by the prizes. The store prices are a couple EURO's more then on lego.com.

The exclusive Jedi is a little...ugly. No offence though.

I'm sure Saesee Tiin won't take much offence to that :laugh:.

So, which set should cause my wallet to be bombarded by me? :laugh: I hope that you, the more experienced collectors in Star Wars, could advise and recommend me as to which set should I buy.

Regards,

Omega X

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Skiff and Palace most, but that's likely due to the fact that I'm not really interested in CW or EU sets. I do, however, think that the Skiff is one of the best-priced SW sets to come out in a while, so that's probably the one to pick up first in my opinion.

Regards,

Omega X

I'd say the Malevolence, but everyone knows my opinion about that. :tongue:

One thing... are you forgetting about the overpriced Palpatine's Arrest that a lot will be rushing out to waste their money on? I know I'll certainly waste spend my money on thaaaat one. :blush:

Fury Class Fighter: I like the minifigures. Unique design. The fighter is bigger than I expected, and that is a pleasant surprise. I could hazard a guess that it includes flick-fire missiles and a opening cockpit.

If it helps you form a mental picture of this one, the Sith Fury is NOT a Starfighter. It is a small formidable light duty starship, in about the same size range as Slave 1, Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator, or Padme's ship. The in game model of the ship measures out at roughly 33 meters long, so about 2/3 the size of the Milenium Falcon. The Lego version seems a little small, but still really nice. It has both a cockpit and a rear crew cabin.

The Old Republic is a series of Star Wars games by Bioware ( the same folks that made Mass Effect) set centuries before Star Wars. The Fury and the Striker are from the latest of those games. An online MMO called Star Wars the Old Republic.

I'm sure Saesee Tiin won't take much offence to that :laugh:.

Except he's not the exclusive jedi to the set... yes, that's right: even Even Piell is uglier :laugh::sick: