lightningtiger

What is your favorite Service Station in Lego City

Favorite Gas/Service Station  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Gas/Service Station is your favorite ?

• 377 - Shell Service Station (1978/79)
    • 1254/1255/1256 - Shell Promo sets (1999)
    • 6371 - Shell Service Station (1983)
    • 6375 - Exxon Service Station (1980)
    • 6378 - Shell Service Station (1986)
    • 6394 - Metro Park & Service Tower (1988)
    • 6397 - Gas n'Wash Express (1992) (2001 re-released)
    • 6548 - Octan Gas Station (1997)
    • 7993 - Octan Service Station (2007)

Now I have not done a poll yet, so why not do one on this topic...gas stations !

So what have we had in the world of Legotown and Lego City in the past 30 odd years ?

First, the ever so classic 377 (my first major Lego set as a kid ! :wub: ).

0377-1.jpg

Jump to 1999 and the Shell promo sets.

1254-1.jpg1255-1.jpg1256-1.jpg

Back now to when Duran Duran were really pumping the FM dial....1983.

6371-1.jpg

Jump back to no oil spills.....yet ! :laugh:

6375-2.jpg

1986 still go well, go Shell ! :grin:

6378-1.jpg

Want to park your car as well ! :wink:

6394-1.jpg

Ah, this one was so good it was re-released in 2001. :blush:

6397-1.jpg

Sorry, this one slipped under the radar....number one for the worst service station ever ! :laugh:

6548-1.jpg

The latest one we've had from TLC, but is it the best or your favorite ?

7993-1.jpg

So there you have it everyone, vote and comment on your favorite....and more so would you like to see a re-release or redesign come out as a set ? :wink:

Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

Edited by lightningtiger

Ahhh, LEGO and Shell... influencing my petrol purchasing habits well into my 30's (up until I started working for a competitor). My vote was for the 6378, but 6394 was always on my wishlist... and we've never seen a multi-storey carpark again...

My personal taste has turned in the direction of the modern sets, so I really like 7993. But my vote has to go to 6394. I still remember what I felt when I first saw it in the 1988 catalogue. I was eleven, and thought that I was slowly getting too old for Lego (the mistakes we make...). I never got a chance to get the set back then, but there's one sitting on top of my shelf now.

It's possible that I'll get rid of it at some point to make room for other stuff, but it's a great set, and there's never been one quite like it.

My vote has to go to the 6371 I had as a kid.

Although I wouldn't mind a set of those shell promos :)

I'm not surprised to see the topic coming from you, LT. 377 seems to have a strong hold on your memories. :sweet:

And to be honest, I think 377 has the best pumps of all the sets, really like the trans-clears. I could pick any from the 6300 series, I think all of them bring something to table. Comes down to which petroleum company you prefer, or which you had back then. Then 7993 brings the current feel to the station. In the end, I went with 6378, mainly because I like the island style, and it offers a baseplate that really works with the set.

6394 and 6397 are definitely my favourites, but I voted for 6397, on the sole fact that it is just a gas station, and not a car park as well. It also looks very modern compared to the rest, which is great :thumbup:

6394 for me, but i also love 6397. The one right under 6397 is just hideous :sick: . Why would the TLC even release that. It looks like something that a 5 year old built from scratch.

My vote went to 6397, since I own it and it is a really lovely addition to any classic city while not looking out of place even in a more modern set-up either.

Also, instead of the ugly and <insert that tiresome argument> 6548 you should instead have used it's direct predeccesor 6562 from 1995 - it's just a much better looking set. Or did you want to specifically make sure that the one you chose won't get any vote at all? :laugh:

As for what 6562 looked like, here's a picture of it:

6562-1.jpg?0

I voted for 6378 because it's the only one I own, but honorable mention goes to the most recent set from 2007 since I was highly tempted to buy it...right when it disappeared from stores. 1256 and 6397 were decent as well.

6397 Master station reporting.

Not only is it the best looking with the angled glass windows on the roof, but it's also my first town set ever. It's also among the first sets to feature a good amount of then-rare green pieces.

7993 comes damn close. Yes, the town sets in the last 5 years have been some of the best I've seen out of all town sets. But 6397 for me.

Edited by wooootles

6397 for sure. I like the fictional OcTan Corp. more than an actual existing brand.

Would be cool if TLG would make a Fuel4Speed gasstation in Orange/White/Black. :laugh:

I still have 6378 in a modern town layout, its probably aged the best of any of them.

I'm halfway through getting the bricks for a MOC of our large national service station brand which may displace it though :(

Easy. The Octan station from 10184.

Oh, sorry guy's I forgot about that one...dam it ! :blush::cry_sad:

And 'Abu Dun', I used only actual service stations with buildings - not just the pumps and few accessories.....with those I could have added a few more from the eighties ! :laugh:

Vote On everyone and fill it up ! :grin:

Quick note - I had to vote 377, though 7993 and 6378 come close for second and third ! :grin:

Edited by lightningtiger

I voted 6397. Nostalgia plays a big part in my decision as it was one of my favourite town sets when I was younger. It comes with the whole shabang! Tow truck, wash and all. I also remember it being perfect for the tanker truck of the same period. I wish I still had it looking at this, darn you :(

I like the Octan one with the re-issue.

I also really liked the way they did up the service station in the town plan.

the Shell promo sets are pretty good as well.

I just had to vote for 6394. It was released when I was only a year old, so I never got the chance to own it, but I did have some old catalogues as a child that I used to read and dream of the sets within them, where the 6394 Service tower and the 6991 Airport shuttle were probably the two sets I wanted more than any others. With the gas station and the parking garage it is truly an epic set, completely unique and will probably remain so forever.

6378 and 6397 receive honorable mentions, they both are very well designed service stations that look very close to their real-world counterparts. I really like 6378, it just looks like the Shell stations from when I was a kid, I have to say it's a shame Lego no longer uses licenses for their gas stations, as the Shell and Exxon licenses were so well integrated with the town theme. 6397 was the gas station of my childhood, I ever did own it, but I really wanted it, and so it will get points from a nostalgia standpoint, as well as being a well designed station with a car wash.

We can see from the results so far the late 80's and early 90's seem to produce the best sets...you might say across the board (town/castle/space/pirates) and overall Shell is still the preferred brand over Octan. Though it's neck and neck between the metro station and 1992/2001 Octan.

Keep on voting ! :grin:

I still have 6378 in a modern town layout, its probably aged the best of any of them.

I'm halfway through getting the bricks for a MOC of our large national service station brand which may displace it though :(

Cian, I agree with you... 6378 is released for 25 years - but when you look at it again - it's modern. That's why I choose 6378 is my best service station. Even 6394 is just right next to 6378

All right who did it, who did it....who voted their favorite servo was the 1997 Octan set ? *huh*

Of all the sets....some one voted for that one.....taste....a question of taste I guess ! :laugh:

Keep on voting everyone ! :grin:

All right who did it, who did it....who voted their favorite servo was the 1997 Octan set ? *huh*

Of all the sets....some one voted for that one.....taste....a question of taste I guess ! :laugh:

Keep on voting everyone ! :grin:

I didn't.... :sadnew:

Maybe someone really loves town jr.

I question my sanity for owning a bunch of the sets in this dismal era... goes to show you my

desire to own lego sets. These will be the first sets to be given to my family and friends.......

:laugh:

Edited by medib

Ah, I've owned every one of those except for the very first one.

The original Exxon stayed alive until very recent, when it got sold off as parts. The 2 Exxon figs sold for around $10 each I think. :)

The Shell station that came as a full set was nice. The promo sets you got at the gas station had me running from Shell to Shell trying to find ones that weren't out of them!

But my favorites are the Octan. I like the non-licensed name. It sits in my town now. Comes w a great car, car wash, and that transparent sign is awesome - which I'm using in my airport rental car area since it looks nice & modern.

So my vote goes to the latest 7993.