JimH

Solid Gold C3PO question

With all due respect, JimH - I really don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do, and I'd never even think of doing that. But please hear my words.

Being a collector myself of different toys, there's one piece of advice I can give you:

Wait some more years before selling the gold figure. Don't do it now. Its price will go sky high in no-time. you'll be able to ask much more money for it in a couple of years than you can get for it now.

you do have a great reason to sell it; but wait a few more years and you'll see.

your kid will go to college, but then he'll be driving his chick magnet pirate_thumbup.gif or her dream carriage, in case it's a girl pirate_thumbup.gifdefault_classic.gif

appreciate the advice and have thought much the same. all we're trying to do right now is get a gauge on a realistic actual value/price it could fetch right now and then make an educated decission on when or if to sell it. we're truely clueless and to tell the truth, i don't see us any closer to knowning now than we did 4 yrs ago when he won it. back then Lego said the value was around 1200.00 as i recall. i don't know if that is soley on the gold value then (1/4 of todays prices mind you) or a collector vallue determined by someone at lego.

Personally if it was me, I would never sell it. Its just way too special to be sold. I mean if youre going to get $1000 that's a lot of money, but the true value for that is so much greater. If you were really wanting to sell it wait for a few more years still. Is it still in good condition though? No scratches of play marks of any kind? And maybe you could get it appraised my a jeweler too, cause there's no point in selling it for sell than what the gold is worth. :classic:

Personally if it was me, I would never sell it. Its just way too special to be sold. I mean if youre going to get $1000 that's a lot of money, but the true value for that is so much greater. If you were really wanting to sell it wait for a few more years still. Is it still in good condition though? No scratches of play marks of any kind? And maybe you could get it appraised my a jeweler too, cause there's no point in selling it for sell than what the gold is worth. default_classic.gif

if there where a lot of them then yea your thought on price would have merit. but when it comes to something that is very very limited quantity, such as only 5 made in the world, then gold amount and value play second to the collectability/value. otherwise there would not be all plastic toys fetching thousands of dollars by collectors when we know there is not thousands of dollars worth of plastic in it. get my point?

I would never sell it unless hard pressed for money. Gold + collectors item = fortune. This will rise in value exponentially, I kid you not.

I would never sell it unless hard pressed for money. Gold + collectors item = fortune. This will rise in value exponentially, I kid you not.

I agree with that and similar posts.

While I'm the kind of person who likes to play with his LEGO, not leave it sitting in a baggie waiting to gain a few dollars, I don't think I'd be able to part with such a special item. So personally, if I had it, I wouldn't sell it or any of my LEGO unless I was truly desperate, even if I was going off to college and entering a Dark Age. But I don't think I'd want to own such an item.

all we're trying to do right now is get a gauge on a realistic actual value/price it could fetch right now and then make an educated decission on when or if to sell it. we're truely clueless and to tell the truth, i don't see us any closer to knowning now than we did 4 yrs ago when he won it.

Glad to hear that you're still just gauging the price of this very rare item and have no intentions of selling it anytime soon. I'm on the same boat as the others that I wouldn't sell it if I had personally owned it, but it seems you are not a LSW collector so I think you wouldn't have a hard time parting with it at the 'right' time unlike if we were in your situation. With regards to its value, let's just say do not be surprised if one day a multi-billionaire hard-core LEGO collector comes knocking on your door offering an insane amount of money for that item. There are crazy collectors like that where money is not an issue so you'll have the chance to rake in heavily with the said collectible.

I'd probably consider speaking to someone at a real auction house to find out about valuation. Quite aside from the intrinsic gold value you have something which is exceptionally rare and could appeal to both Lego and Star Wars collectors (of which there are a great many) as well as generic Toy collectors.

I certainly wouldn't sell it on something like eBay, items like this are usually going to do better either through a real auction house or as a private sale, depending on how much you need to get rid of it.

*huh*

Very cool! Your soon is one lucky kid. I wonder how much that fig really worths.

Personally, I would never sell something so rare. Only 7 of them exists, and 5 of them were used in that raffle or

whatever. Of course, I can't be sure about that, since I don't own something so rare, but if you really want

to seel it I suggest you to wait few more years, just like bunch of EB members said before me.

z218934554.jpg

Let me get my guy to look at it.

Congrats on the win, I can't wait to see how much this baby goes for!

If I had to take a guess at a ball park amount for that figure, I'd say its currently worth about 5-6 thousand (USD) and maybe as high as $7K this is based on the price of gold and the collectibility fact (LEGO and StarWars).

but this is just a guess it could fetch more or less on auction.

[snip]

:laugh: I was just thinking the same thing.

Maybe it'd be better if we could get pics of the whole frame and the paperwork that was mentioned.

Wow! This is one of those things I thought I would never see. Like the others have already said this is a real must have item for the very rich collectors out there. A proper auction would be a better way to go, with some really good advertising before hand to make sure it is well known along time before it goes under the hammer.

Thank you for sharing the picture with us. Please keep us notified what it is worth and if and when it goes on sale.

Man I would pay and arm and a leg for that fig. Lucky score. Im very interested to find out when and how much this fig goes for.

Man I would pay and arm and a leg for that fig. Lucky score. Im very interested to find out when and how much this fig goes for.

I see your arm and a leg, and I raise with my kidney and the naming right to my first born child. :laugh:

If this can be independently verified as authentic, and do go to auction and sells very well, we may find out at least 1 more other lucky winner that comes forward to sell another one of the 5.

Hi,

I got an e-Mail from the lucky owner and he allowed to post a close-up picture:

So here it is...enjoy:

snip, very nice, any pics of the certificate?

snip, very nice, any pics of the certificate?

there was no sepperate certificate, the whole background of the frame is the certificate. it says 1 of 5 or something along those lines. as mentioned earlier we have the original box from fed-ex with legos return shipping addy on it. also if you look at the late winter/early spring lego magazine after the drawing it list the five winners. sir von lego has my last name via the email i sent him, if you look up the 5 winners you will see an Andrew Hoffmann . if and when we go to sell we will be able to have the buyer verify our address and name with the records at Lego. all 5 winners names are out there, unfortunately we lost our copy of the issue that anounced the winners, if anyone would have an extra old copy from back then i would be interested in it.

Edited by JimH

*SNIPPED*

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the title.

Dude, you're sitting on gold(no pun intended) Wait a few years, and sell it.

If I had the money, I'd lift it right now. I've been dying for one of these for YEARS. Would you accept $62 as a downpayment? :laugh:

z218934554.jpg

my son would kill to get onto that show with this thing. we're a big fan of that and Pickers!

my son would kill to get onto that show with this thing. we're a big fan of that and Pickers!

Do you have a mass (scale)? Put it on there and let us know the mass in grams. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce and 24k gold is worth ~$1500 / ozt. Is this 24k, 18k, 14k, etc? I just need to know the purity and mass and can tell you exactly how much the gold content is worth (I am a numismatist as well as an AFOL).

Do you have a mass (scale)? Put it on there and let us know the mass in grams. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce and 24k gold is worth ~$1500 / ozt. Is this 24k, 18k, 14k, etc? I just need to know the purity and mass and can tell you exactly how much the gold content is worth (I am a numismatist as well as an AFOL).

it is 14k gold. i'll have to weigh it some time this week and post it. again though, i would think the real value is going to be from the rare number available opposed to actual gold content value.

it is 14k gold. i'll have to weigh it some time this week and post it. again though, i would think the real value is going to be from the rare number available opposed to actual gold content value.

I agree. However, you will at least have a starting point based on gold content. Take the mass in grams, multiply it by 0.58333 (converting from 24k (pure) to 14k), divide by 31.1 and then multiply it again by the spot gold price that day ($1496.xx as I type this). That will give you the value of the gold content.