JunkstyleGio

The voting on the April TCCompetition: Supercar.

Model Bugatti by joaodavid96 is a MOC by me; it is picture 008 on this Brickshelf folder: ErikLeppen/Cars/Bugatti. It is the same model that Blakbird has made computer images of, in his folder Blakbird/Renders/MOCs/Bughatti-EB110/. A post by Blakbird on Eurobricks posted last February, forms the proof that this model is older than the competition.

So I don't know what has changed about the judging process, but surely judgement isn't perfect yet....

Edited by Erik Leppen

every month are cheaters in the voting round. Are big watermarks in the background of all our Pictures the only way to avoid this?

is the chevy a moc from Crowkillers?

hm i had could use my 8070 conversion for the entry. one other modification is able to vote. with my T1 singlecab i was to slow :cry_sad:

Edited by efferman

every month are cheaters in the voting round. Are big watermarks in the background of all our Pictures the only way to avoid this?

is the chevy a moc from Crowkillers?

hm i had could use my 8070 conversion for the entry. one other modification is able to vote. with my T1 singlecab i was to slow :cry_sad:

I think the Chevrolet is really Paul Boratko's one. And I think I have seen the Veyron before as well. SAD SAD SAD

Edited by grohl

Hmmm... I am not sure who havenlawrence is, but I think he would have been better off using one of my newer models since my photo taking skills have gotten better in recent years... :thumbup:

I wonder how many "Gallardos" were submitted and got rejected? :laugh: Lego might as well just have their contests for copied MOC's. IMO, these contests are stupid anyways.

I must admit i am a little dissapointed by the quality of the final 6.[3 are blantant MOC copies, one is a modified 8070 FFS!] I thought this competion had alot of potential, obviously i was wrong. The lego technic panel must be poorly informed individuals, who are they? perhaps they should be named? and shamed! or perhaps i am misunderstanding the entry criteria?

Skyliner

I must admit i am a little dissapointed by the quality of the final 6.[3 are blantant MOC copies, one is a modified 8070 FFS!] I thought this competion had alot of potential, obviously i was wrong. The lego technic panel must be poorly informed individuals, who are they? perhaps they should be named? and shamed! or perhaps i am misunderstanding the entry criteria?

Skyliner

Yes, I agree, but perhaps those models were indeed built by the proper age group? Supposedly the finalists are picked by Lego's own Technic designers. Which seems odd because I know that when Paul built that Camaro a few years back, it was all over the net at many different websites. Seems strange that wasn't caught.

Due to ongoing issues with the entries, we will be instituting a new policy starting with next month's competition. The TECHNIC Challenge logo must be printed and placed near the MOC in order to be entered, which should eliminate the most egregious plagiarism issues. The high-res PDF is located in the Downloads section, and will be linked from the contest entry page.

I've already removed one proven plagiarism entry, and will investigate others in this thread. If you think a MOC has been improperly copied, please (politely) contact LEGO Consumer Services and it'll be investigated, and action taken if needed.

- Kelly

TECHNIC Webmaster

That's great news Kelly, I think that will go a long way to restoring a bit of faith in the competition.

@ Binkmeister: There are two blatant cheaters documented on this Eurobricks post.

Please inform TLG's Technic Competition judges that they should implement some or all of these suggestions made by the AFOLs on this forum:

From RohanBeckett: "Would be good if they took up a suggestion I saw posted a few months ago: All entrants must take a photo with themselves - or maybe their model with a piece of paper, with a 'code word' for that competition... to prevent fake/stolen entries."

From JunkstyleGio: "I do hope that TLC with change the way of "how to enter". A simple way of doing this would be an extra picture to be submitted which shows "you and the model you made". I know this wouldn't keep the whole sheet of entries clean but it would help a lot!"

From Mortymore: "IMO, TLG should select a bunch of semifinalists and present them to the AFOL community to see if they find some fake entries, and only after, present a clean list of the 10 finalists, since seems that TLG by itself can't manage to do that. AFOL community is every day, every hour... searching the web for new works, designs, inspiration... so its easy for them (us) to have an idea if some competition entry was already seen before, were and to whom it may belong."

From AndyC: "Requiring that model submissions include a "TECHNIC Challenge March 2011" or whatever sign would be a lot less hassle and equally effective at blocking out cheaters."

From Sam42: "One idea that would eliminate such mistakes, (placing cheater's entries in the final 10 etc) would be to select a panel of technic based afols recruited from the fan community to judge the entries.

As is shown here, a group of technic enthusiasts can quickly worm out all the bad apples, infact the eurobricks technic forum would be the ideal place to recruit them from...."

From RohanBeckett: "Would be good if they took up a suggestion I saw posted a few months ago: All entrants must take a photo with themselves - or maybe their model with a piece of paper, with a 'code word' for that competition... to prevent fake/stolen entries."

From JunkstyleGio: "I do hope that TLC with change the way of "how to enter". A simple way of doing this would be an extra picture to be submitted which shows "you and the model you made". I know this wouldn't keep the whole sheet of entries clean but it would help a lot!"

Those unfortunately would go against our privacy policies.

From Mortymore: "IMO, TLG should select a bunch of semifinalists and present them to the AFOL community to see if they find some fake entries, and only after, present a clean list of the 10 finalists, since seems that TLG by itself can't manage to do that. AFOL community is every day, every hour... searching the web for new works, designs, inspiration... so its easy for them (us) to have an idea if some competition entry was already seen before, were and to whom it may belong."

From Sam42: "One idea that would eliminate such mistakes, (placing cheater's entries in the final 10 etc) would be to select a panel of technic based afols recruited from the fan community to judge the entries.

As is shown here, a group of technic enthusiasts can quickly worm out all the bad apples, infact the eurobricks technic forum would be the ideal place to recruit them from...."

That's been suggested to the Technic brand manager, it's up to him to decide if something like this is feasible.

From AndyC: "Requiring that model submissions include a "TECHNIC Challenge March 2011" or whatever sign would be a lot less hassle and equally effective at blocking out cheaters."

We're starting something like this for next month's competition.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'll also look into the other thread documenting cheats.

- Kelly

Update: Thanks to the very helpful links in these threads, I've determined that there were three plagiarized MOCs in this month's finalist list. They have been removed.

They are:

• Bugatti Veyron submitted by Luc98lt
  • Chevy submitted by havenlawrence
  • Bugatti submitted by joaodavid96

I've compiled a blacklist of those found to be cheating, and will work with the TECHNIC judging team to help weed out problem submissions before finalists are selected.

- Kelly

Well, here's my entry:

5660180666_6f5aecb8b0.jpg

1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen, by vmln8r

As you can drive this without having to look at a horse's bottom, this was probably pretty super back in 1886.

Things my remote-controlled model features include: tiller steering, chain-drive and a spinning flywheel at the back. As entered (ie, without Karl), it uses only parts from Technic sets.

It'd be nice to see the AFOL entries this time around.

Where has the link to the lego technic competition gone?

I can seam to find it anymore on the lego technic home page, has it been removed or is just broken at the moment.