kyphur

Just made the plunge into LEGO Trains!

Welcome, you are off to a great start, you are getting all the good train sets etc :grin:

What is the tally so far? Got any Sante fe Cars? BNSF and TTX trailer?

The Train Engine Shed is brilliant (but is very high priced) and the Metroliner! That is a classic and IMO the best passenger train to date, the details on the inside will surprise you for sure :thumbup:

I have to work on my Train collection more, there are too many themes and too little time :laugh:

With the prices of the Santa Fe Car Sets I'll probably just buy the parts & instructions (or print the PDFs) to build out the train with one of each of the five cars

Here's my SF Super Chief with PF

Next I'll build my first Emerald Night.

Still not sure if I'm keeping the 9v Hogwart's Express. If I do then it will get PF also.

Not really sure what I think of the TTX Car yet.

BNSF look okay but I choose the Super Chief over it. If I get another crack at one I'll take it.

Still working on negotiations for the Metroliner & Hobby Train Sets.

I'm pondering the beginning of my layout. I think I want to build my train yard first.

Since I've used my last PF set I need to order more so I can continue to power my trains.

"I gonna drive, and I'ma go fast, and then, I'ma turn to the left leyeft" -Eric Cartman :sweet:

Couldn't resist when I saw the circle track... :laugh:

Chose the SFSC over powering the Maersk, that must be a first?? Neat job anyways. I do recommend starting with your train yard first, if that is going to be a larger concentrated mass of sets (compared to a train station or RR crossing). Makes it easier IMO. Keep up the great work! :classic:

Chose the SFSC over powering the Maersk, that must be a first?? Neat job anyways. I do recommend starting with your train yard first, if that is going to be a larger concentrated mass of sets (compared to a train station or RR crossing). Makes it easier IMO. Keep up the great work! :classic:

Actually the Maersk is powered also. I used my last PF set for the Chief so I'll be buying some more PF Train Gear soon.

Actually the Maersk is powered also. I used my last PF set for the Chief so I'll be buying some more PF Train Gear soon.

Instead of buying the PF parts separately, I wonder if it might be more economical to buy complete train sets instead.

If you buy an extra copy of the cargo train and/or the passenger train, then you'll get the PF parts that you want, but also more track, as well as train wheels, magnets, train base plates, etc., that you need if you want to build some MOC cars. Of course you'd end up with an excess of curved track and remote-controllers, but everything else in the train sets is pretty useful, and much of it fairly expensive (e.g. train wheels) if you have to buy it separately.

Excess curved track used to fetch very little money on eBay, but now that lego stopped selling curved track separately, you can sell your excess curved track at a price that's worthwhile.

Instead of buying the PF parts separately, I wonder if it might be more economical to buy complete train sets instead.

Excess curved track used to fetch very little money on eBay, but now that lego stopped selling curved track separately, you can sell your excess curved track at a price that's worthwhile.

Considering the PF Train Motor, Receiver & Battery Box cost about $42 and the cheapest PF Train is $130 that means $90 for the remote ($13), $20 worth of track and the parts. I'd prefer the Cargo train as the passenger train has too much red. The cargo Train has more track and cars. I think once TRU has their next Buy One Get one half off LEGO sale I'll probably get a couple more Cargo Trains just for PF, Track & Parts.

As for selling the extra curves, I think I'll keep them for now, when I build my train yard I'll need a lot for the side-cuts (or whatever they're called. I'll also need a lot of switches...

Here's my Super Chief pulling 3 Container Cars.

Santa Fe Super Chief

The red & yellow containers are from the Cargo Train, I resized them to be in scale with the Maersk containers.

I also resized the Cargo Train's Container Car.

Are the Maersk Containers supposed to be full or half length containers?

Thanks for warm welcome & kind guidance...

In trading my almost complete Star Wars Collection I've already secured 2 Maersk Trains, 2 Emerald Nights and a Super Chief!

I've also downloaded a lot of instructions and will be getting the Hobby Box Train Set for sure.

Keep us updated with progress and pics!

Adding more track....

5711563627_3603764114_z.jpg

I like the Double Rail Crossing and have 5 more ordered. I also need to get a lot of the switches so I can build my rail yard.

I just need to get the rest of the SW stuff sold or traded so I have room (and $) to build my layout.

I have designed the street plan for a small town to be at the center of my layout, I'll post pics later.

I read you are planning a small town to go in the middle 'kyphur', how big is this actually going to be plus are you installing road crossings and a train station ? :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

The town street plan is 11ft by 6ft! I have enough room in the basement to comfortably accomidate a 20ft by 20 ft layout with room to grow.

I will have a commuter station downtown and 2 or 3 platforms on the loop. There well be level crossings where needed.

Eventually I want a mountian with a tunnel and a line on a thin ledge outside.

I will also build a train yard on the edge of town.

Of course there's a lot to do to get there including spending a small fortune on baseplates.

Ouch 11 feet long, double ouch.....that's over 11 32x32 base plates long. *oh2*

Planning many streets or just the main one plus is it a country town or a city you are planning ?

Also is there a freight terminal to load and unload the train.....might I suggest two said points - one to load and the other to unload on to trucks and visa versa ! :grin:

Brick On 'kyphur' ! :grin:

This is going to be huge.

Btw where did you order your double crossings from?

Ouch 11 feet long, double ouch.....that's over 11 32x32 base plates long. *oh2*

Planning many streets or just the main one plus is it a country town or a city you are planning ?

Also is there a freight terminal to load and unload the train.....might I suggest two said points - one to load and the other to unload on to trucks and visa versa ! :grin:

Brick On 'kyphur' ! :grin:

Actually that 13 by 7 32 x 32 baseplates just for the town proper!

Here's the layout:

5712629209_86aaafabc5_z.jpg

The two gray baseplates in the lower right are where the train station will be (actually they're the parking lot for the station.

Just north of that will be the Municipal hall with a park in front (the two green baseplates).

To the west will be a municipal parking lot with a mini Starbucks at the southern end.

The 2 green baseplates to the west of that will be the Hospital/Fire/Police buildings.

The square roadway (split both ways) to the west of that is the residential area. I will have houses (Creator Series & MOCs) along the outside edge as well as in the 4 center green baseplates. This area will also get a Commuter Train platform.

A restaurant will go on the green baseplate to the north of the Hospital/Fire/Police buildings.

I will build-up a Main Street area along the roadway around the municipal hall/park to the north & east.

The commuter train tracks will loop around the town (but not hug it too closely) connecting the Main station to the residential platform and at least 1 rural platform. My residents can take the train to work/shopping!

There will be a freight yard beside the train yard. Eventually I want it to include a small port so there will be 3 loaning/unloading areas: Trucks, Trains, Ships.

Btw where did you order your double crossings from?

I found a Canadian seller on Bricklink who had a total of 6 @ $50 each, cleaned him out and ordered another one from Germany @ $50. I figured they aren't going to get cheaper so I grabbed all I could get.

$50 each yikes!!!Did Lego discontinue crossover tracks already or what? Last fall while on vacation in Canada I found a few at Toys R Us and bought 3 for $30 CDN each.

$50 each yikes!!!Did Lego discontinue crossover tracks already or what? Last fall while on vacation in Canada I found a few at Toys R Us and bought 3 for $30 CDN each.

Yes, they are discontinued... That's why I got them while the getting was good...

Nice to see it grow and see the plans for such a big layout. Looking forward to seeing more and more of it being completed over time. :classic:

Also because I'm in the planning stages of my future layout myself which will also be quite big – something like 19 by 8 to 10 baseplates, so it's good to see others who got the resources to "think big" themselves :) –, but my new apartment where I'll have the space for it won't be completed until early next year, which means a looong time to wait, but also time to plan – and change plans over and over again (even such basic things as: one rectangular setup in the middle of the room, or U-shaped along the walls?), getting inspirations from others' layouts. Though I'm rather going for a town-dominated setup, hiding half of the train loops under the town. Kinda more realistic that way, too.

Alright, enough rambling about my plans here; I'll keep you updated in a thread of my own once I got something to update. :) And now I better start checking ebay for double crossings...

And now I better start checking ebay for double crossings...

On eBay they were running in excess of $70 each! That's why I grabbed every one I could on BrickLink at $50.

Yes, they are discontinued... That's why I got them while the getting was good...

I remember when they were on clearance on LSAH for like $10 or so. You are right it is highly unlikely LEGO will ever make that track again, however it is possible they might make a plastic version of the simple 9v version

Edited by Macoco

I remember when they were on clearance on LSAH for like $10 or so. You are right it is highly unlikely LEGO will ever make that track again, however it is possible they might make a plastic version of the simple 9v version

It would be very nice if they did. I don't want to buy the metal rail version when all I got are 70's and 80's battery train and modern RC/PF trains. I may eventually pick up a cheap cross that has bad or worn metal but still usable for self powered trains.

The town street plan is 11ft by 6ft! I have enough room in the basement to comfortably accomidate a 20ft by 20 ft layout with room to grow.

20 by 20 feet of space! You lucky ...

My layout is 18 by 16 feet, and I get to see it only once per year (at our local train show). At home there is no room for it.

Well, my 5 double crossovers arrived this week! I now have a total of 7 double crossovers...

The amount of black on the powered wheels was bothering me ever since I PF'ed the SF Super Chief so last night I took a 9v train motor that I have, added the PF to 9v cable and replaced the PF motor. It looks much better now that it's grey where it should be grey!

Well, my 5 double crossovers arrived this week! I now have a total of 7 double crossovers...

The amount of black on the powered wheels was bothering me ever since I PF'ed the SF Super Chief so last night I took a 9v train motor that I have, added the PF to 9v cable and replaced the PF motor. It looks much better now that it's grey where it should be grey!

Can you take a picture of this? I was wondering exactly what you did? Does this part fit on the PF motor?

Or does only this part fit on the PF motor? I was wondering about that since only new bley side pieces exist and not old grey and thus wouldn't match the Super Chief.

So as I read you got a 9V motor and you have it working with the PF Battery Box and IR receiver? How did you do this (and what parts are needed) ? Is there a topic on this??? :oh:

Thanks! :classic:

Edited by Macoco

So as I read you got a 9V motor and you have it working with the PF Battery Box and IR receiver? How did you do this (and what parts are needed) ? Is there a topic on this?

I used this cable to connect the 9v Train Motor to the PF IR Receiver.

So that it matches I was able to use the decorative side pieces for the 9v Train Motor in Light Grey just like is shown in the instructions for the Super Chief Set except I added the above referenced cable.

5766250503_86ab780271_z.jpg

5766796938_af2584281a_z.jpg

5766253985_2347af5a11_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur