Sign in to follow this  
---Vertea---

D2C Contest: Leviathan Dragon Fish

Atlantis has finished it's run giving us a much-anticipated look at the Temple and various guardians.

But throughout the theme, I noticed a dismal lack of any REALLY large sea monsters. Sure, we got the Shark and the sea turtle, but how about something more exotic? How about a set that could dwarf the Atlantis HQ? How about a Leviathan?

So without further ado, I present the mysterious new set #54321: Leviathan Dragon Fish

Theme: Atlantis

Price: $119.98

Pieces: quite a few

Minifigs: 1 Portal Emperor, 1 Atlantis Diver, 1 Skeleton

Year Released: Unknown

entry_pic.jpg

The focus of the set is on the beast, but I decided to create a vehicle that wasn't tiny and useless or way too large. It's essentially an upgrade of the Wreck Raider incorporating details of the Seabed Strider. I chose the Portal Emperor as the atlantean warrior because he's the only one who it makes sense to give a Leviathan to.

coming_to_get_you.jpg

Hes Coming to get you, Jacques!

Mouth Montage

Fear his Jaws of Death! On the bright side, all the urine in the water might just deter the beast for a bit :P

diver_and_craft.jpg

here we have the diver and his craft. YES, I am well aware that that head is NOT the eyepatch fellow from the official atlantis line and YES I do own him. I just thought it would be fun to use this head in a non-piratey theme.

Water Craft montage

Various shots of the craft from many angles. I was really happy with the way the shape came together :)

Not sure if I can post this one

Aaaand a BONUS PIC! I had a leftover shot of the creature from a side view, but the background was awful, so I did this instead.

Basically, this is my dream set- a huge brick-built monster with well-armed opposition and at least one uncommon minifig. I hope you guys like it and I am really looking forward to comments and thoughts- at least a conversation or two lol. I'll be linking to my BShelf gallery which has some more detailed pics of the creature and characters, so you might want to check those out.

And that's it! My Direct-to-Consumer Contest entry for the Atlantis theme. Best of luck to my fellow entrants and to all those of you who are going to enter as well. Thank you for stopping by! :D

My Brickshelf: Gallery

Edited by ---Vertea---

Great entry!!

The sea dragon is awesome and really fits the bill.

You may need to loose the multi-up images as they are not allowed default_blink.gif but apart from that I think you nailed the theme and have a real LEGO set feel to your creation.

Good luck default_thumbup.gif

I love it. Atlantis really does need at least one ginormous monster fish, and yours looks super creepy. The sub is awesome, too - I have to say it looks better than several of the official Atlantis subs.

Great entry!!

The sea dragon is awesome and really fits the bill.

You may need to loose the multi-up images as they are not allowed default_blink.gif but apart from that I think you nailed the theme and have a real LEGO set feel to your creation.

Good luck default_thumbup.gif

Thanks for pointing those out! I would hate to be disqualified. I've turned those into links, but I could have sworn I saw them on another entry- perhaps I'm crazy lol. And thank you for your kind words. I'm really glad it looks like a set- I have a really hard time making my MOCs look official, so that means a lot :)

I love it. Atlantis really does need at least one ginormous monster fish, and yours looks super creepy. The sub is awesome, too - I have to say it looks better than several of the official Atlantis subs.

lol thanks. I really get irritated with how small the little subs are- especially against hordes of mutated sea-people and giant ocean-dwelling monsters. And Atlantis could have been a thousand times better if they had made a giant monster instead of the HQ. Glad to see another fan of lego beasts! :) You may have made my day.

Excellent. Very fitting to the theme, smart idea, and most importantly designed just like a set.

Edited by quy

Nice work. The dragon fish looks great and very menacing indeed. The diver's craft is good too. But like you said yourself, the diver's head looks too much like Ace. I think if you're going to introduce a new character it should look different from existing ones.

The whole thing looks like it could a set, though I'm not sure if it's really D2C material. How about adding some kind of cave or some ruins with treasure inside? That would really make this a great D2C set! :sweet:

Nice work. The dragon fish looks great and very menacing indeed. The diver's craft is good too. But like you said yourself, the diver's head looks too much like Ace. I think if you're going to introduce a new character it should look different from existing ones.

The whole thing looks like it could a set, though I'm not sure if it's really D2C material. How about adding some kind of cave or some ruins with treasure inside? That would really make this a great D2C set! :sweet:

I don't have many interesting minifig heads that would work for a diver, but I'll see what I can do about that head...

If I can get a nice set-style cave done soon enough, I'll go ahead and add that- thanks for the tip! :classic:

hm... I could use the head from the Hazmat suit guy.... its suitably frightened lol.

Now this is an entry that I could definitely see as a potential set, it has all the elements needed - a villain, a monster fish, and an Atlantis Diver with his 'required vehicle'. Both the Dragon Fish and Atlantis vehicle are very well done, great job overall and best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

I love the fish, it looks very creepy. It's very good, but it's not so overly-detailed that it couldn't be a set. It also has a great little vehicle, and some figures. It's definetely something that could be made into a set! As Oky Wan Kenobi said though, a cave or treasure would really add to this already great entry. Well done, and good luck!

Awesome! I nearly thought it was an official TLG Set! The Mini Sub is great but the Dragon Fish is colossal and well detailed. One Scary looking fish for the diver to face in battle, ha! Great Work Vertea.

Very nice! It feels almost like an actual set!

The mini-sub is pretty nice and works well with this year's Atlantis color scheme. The dragon fish is also unique-looking, and I love his skeletal-looking fins. Love your choice of minifigures.

One problem I have with this is that the dragon fish's upper jaw has that gap visible in the front-view pic. You could possibly have fixed that by replacing the red brick visible with two headlight bricks and a 1x2 half-pyramid brick. But then again, perhaps that red brick is too structurally important to be replaced. In any event, I think that change might have been a real asset to your MOC.

Good luck in the contest!

I love it, absolutley love it. I'm always a sucker for giant sea creatures ever since I played Ocean Hunters, an arcade game where you hunted giant sea creatures, then flew around in a giant balloon. The second Boss was leviathan, a giant shark. I'm really impressed, and you can count on my vote!

by the way, did I mention I love this?

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Haha, Yeah this is sweet! As others have said it's very menacing and it looks a lot for like a fish than most lego sets. :classic: It looks quie a buit on the small side for it to be a D2C set saying that if it were about $120 I definitely wouldn't buy it. But if you add some ruins or rock formations or something this could be awesome! :laugh:

As an avid fan of Atlantis (I have three Neptune subs ha ha) I can say I would definitely buy this set. This is also probably my favorite entry so far mainly because it could actually be a set, (which I won't overtly say is missing from other entries). I guess atlantis isn't the the most popular in this competition with the two other newer themes but I look forward to any others in the pipeline. Mine is coming soon enough, wish you luck anyway though.

the dragon fish is really well done !

Eveybody's right, all element include in a set are present in your creation.

good luck

Great work!

For that price i wouldn't buy it, but it reminds me of this little fellow.

Dunkleosteus, a ten metres long fish that lived in devonian period (before the dinosaurs :wink:).

800px-Dunkleosteus_interm1DB.jpg

Yay for Dunkleosteus! He's a personal fave of mine :)

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea... or really any prehistoric sea monster.... perhaps one that lives really deep so never went extinct... It would certainly fit an action theme.