XimenaPaulina

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 4 Discussion

Just saw the season premiere, and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed to say the least. Landing at Point Rain has always been my measuring stick for hard-core war action scenes, and I just didn't feel the same wow factor in these first two episodes. And being a Fisto fan I hate how this story arc somehow diminished the awesomeness shown by the Nautolan jedi in the Tartakovsky's CW (seeing him held captive by Shark guy was unbearable for me :cry_sad:). I guess I have to even lower my expectations for the next episodes if this premiere is a sign of things to come.

Although, there was yet another retcon in these episodes. This time from the movies... :hmpf_bad:

I have a potential while until I can see this episode so could you tell me what it was please :classic:?

Being somewhat in SW mood now (Though hardly anybody seems to have noticed :cry_sad: ) I decided to comment as well. :classic:

Well, I'll back those who say that the episodes were just okay. But not very impressive, at least the way I expected it to be. I'm not a big fan of Tartakovski's series but I must say that his battle of Mon Cal is far more imposing, though exagerrated as always. :hmpf_bad:

It all starts with the narrators words when he blankly called Mon Cals "peaceful" and Quarrens "agressive" which to my mind is the greatest problem with the entire show. A war is never a battle of black vs white and the writers showed only feeble attempts to state that. I guess modern kids should learn that from young age.

Actually the entire source of the conflict is a bit vague for me. I mean why were Quarrens ruled by Mon Cals? It's no wonder they rebelled since no fully developed nation wants to have a ruler from another one. :sceptic:

I could go on but it mostly depends on taste, so I'll refrain and just say that I was also disappointed by lack of interesting and deep characters (pun intended :laugh: )The battle scenes are somewhat messy and vague. Fisto is great as always but somewhat lacks awesomeness in his own element.

Now to what I liked. The confederates. And not only because I generally like them. The general is cliched evil, obviously, but somewhat clever as well. Aqua droids are my new love ever since Kamino episode! :wub: The disappointing thing is the medusas. Ooh! it's the ultimate weapon! Ohh, scary! What did they actually do? Electrocuted some clones and then were just floating around.

There are also some suprisingly stupid moments, like when Anakin can bring down the entire building, but can't get his helmet. Really? :hmpf_bad:

The musuc seems not to fit in most scenes for me as well.

Ok, don't get me wrong. The episode was nice and somewhat even interesting. But such important events in CW history require more attention to war itself, rather than emotions of whiny teenage fishdoy. Yum-yum! :laugh:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

I have a potential while until I can see this episode so could you tell me what it was please :classic:?

The senator of Mon Calamari, Meena Tills, appeared in ROTS. As a male, but the CW series shows Meena as a female. So yeah, that's a retcon from the movies. Meena Tills was a male in his brief time in ROTS, but in CW Tills is now a female... :thumbdown:

Using the magic of the Internet I just watched the first two episodes, I was going to wait until next week to see all 3 together but oh well.

*Snip*

I think this just about covers everything I was going to say about it. This episode had the worst tactics and planing I think I have ever seen, a 12 year old with COD could do a better job of it.

And why does the Separatist fleet let the ship full of gungns through instead of blockading the planet, hell why doesn't the Republic blockade it to start with???

I think this just about covers everything I was going to say about it. This episode had the worst tactics and planing I think I have ever seen, a 12 year old with COD could do a better job of it.

And why does the Separatist fleet let the ship full of gungns through instead of blockading the planet, hell why doesn't the Republic blockade it to start with???

Based on these facts alone I'm willing to bet that Lucas single-handedly wrote the script for this episode and nobody was brave enough to tell him it was terrible.

Using the magic of the Internet I just watched the first two episodes, I was going to wait until next week to see all 3 together but oh well.

Is that when the UK premiere is? Or has it already happened? :wacko:

I haven't seen any advertisements for it, I'm very confused. :hmpf_bad:

Based on these facts alone I'm willing to bet that Lucas single-handedly wrote the script for this episode and nobody was brave enough to tell him it was terrible.

Suprisingly some of the best episoder of season three, IMO, were written by Katie(?) Lucas. I'm talking about the Monster episode now. I do understand that it was hardly like she did it single-handed (or even participated at all), but at least they could do something about these two episodes. it's the beginning of the season, dammit!

Last season had some awful episodes, to my taste, like those with the Force things and this Brother vs Sister stuff. *shudders* But the sheer fact that they had a Kamino episode at the beginning gave me hope that after that we'll get a couple of good ones!

Here no hope for us, as yet! Dooku was right, and I guess he was talking on behalf of Lucas about us: "Hope is something we can't allow them to have!" A pity!

Edited by The Penguin

Yeah, these episodes sure were unimpressive. While I would have never expected them to even come close to the epicness of the Mon Cal Battle from '03, I still think they could have done better. Kit Fisto should have literally been in his element here, but he was just the usual "that other jedi master who joins Anakin & Co." The only somewhat interesting character here was Sharkboy, but even he was just a generic bad guy. Those big jellyfish were about as imposing as the ones from Spongebob Squarepants, and would somebody please tell me what the hell those tubes were good for? :wacko: They didn't seem to serve any purpose and couldn't even withstand a headbutt.

Oh well, at least they were better than all those political and Mortis episodes from last season. Plus they fit right in with our Underwater Month. :laugh: But still: Unimpressive. Most unimpressive...

There are also some surprisingly stupid moments, like when Anakin can bring down the entire building, but can't get his helmet. Really? :hmpf_bad:

Yeah, that did seem kinda lame, but like he said, he has to concentrate to use the force, and it's kinda hard to concentrate when you're suffocating while being shot at. :laugh:

And why does the Separatist fleet let the ship full of gungans through instead of blockading the planet, hell why doesn't the Republic blockade it to start with???

Well, the Republic was obviously short on troops, and I'm guessing the CIS was too, plus they were blind due to Anakin taking out the scanner building.

Here no hope for us, as yet! Dooku was right, and I guess he was talking on behalf of Lucas about us: "Hope is something we can't allow them to have!" A pity!

Well said, my friend. :sadnew:

By the way, they already have a preview up for the next episode "Prisoners" on Starwars.com. Looks like it's Kit's turn to have a Captain Obvious moment. "Ah, eels, very dangerous." Really? :hmpf:

"Ah, eels, very dangerous." Really? :hmpf:

I might be looking too deep into this, but...

"Asps. Very dangerous." :laugh:

Thank goodness for YouTube, just watched the first episode of season four and I can see where people say it's a bit slow, etc., remember explosions look different underwater than elsewhere. :wink:

Though I would hope Lego produce those underwater droids and diving clones, etc., they would make great playsets.

I look forward to the next episode. :classic:

Yeah, that did seem kinda lame, but like he said, he has to concentrate to use the force, and it's kinda hard to concentrate when you're suffocating while being shot at. :laugh:

Yes, what didn't kill him, made him stronger. :hmpf_bad: Actually the Force can easilly have a topic of its own, judging how it has evolved from mind tricks to bringing down Star Destroyers in Lucas universe. :laugh:

Well, the Republic was obviously short on troops, and I'm guessing the CIS was too, plus they were blind due to Anakin taking out the scanner building.

Actually, that is a very good point, which I forgot to mention. It's that rare occasion when CIS is not flooding the battlefield (and loses anyway :hmpf_bad: ), but actually uses some clever tactics. Like using those squid-like-ships to create a massive whirpool.

And hey, Kit Fisto losing a fistfight (Oh, Penguin, you cheeky bastard with those clever jokes of yours! :laugh_hard::hmpf_bad: )? That's pretty rare for the series! :thumbup:

Well, at least he didn't say it - but he did say "IT'S AN ATTACK!"

Well, I guess they do understand that there is a certain etiquette about overusing non-funny SW puns especially in SW Universe!

I saw the episodes on Master Toons, and I must say, it was more underwhelming than I expected, and if you know my view on CW, you know I probably didn't expect very much. The Gungans were seriously made too powerful. Even without sensors, those jellyfish thingies shouldn't have lost to the Gungans. I suppose you could argue that they were vulnerable to the boombas, but still. The Gungans couldn't defeat some B1s in Menace; they don't appear to have advanced in technology enough to deliver such a successful strike now. (and they shouldn't be able to) And characters shouldn't be able to give inspiring speeches during battles without getting shot. And the droid army, once again, was unable to overrun the significantly smaller Republic and Mon Cal forces. And a regiment of clones should comprise four battalions - that's 2,304 clones, according to Wookieepedia. Not the squad or so that landed in a few gunships.

And since when was there such a word as 'Mon Cala'? :wacko:

I saw the episodes on Master Toons, and I must say, it was more underwhelming than I expected, and if you know my view on CW, you know I probably didn't expect very much. The Gungans were seriously made too powerful. Even without sensors, those jellyfish thingies shouldn't have lost to the Gungans. I suppose you could argue that they were vulnerable to the boombas, but still. The Gungans couldn't defeat some B1s in Menace; they don't appear to have advanced in technology enough to deliver such a successful strike now. (and they shouldn't be able to)

I'll agree with your that the episode was quite disappointing in terms of season premiere standards, but in defense of the Gungan's, water is their natural habitat and I assume they move better underwater and hence can fight more effectively than in land. And I'll take hundreds of mobile gungans any time of the day versus a few very slow moving jellyfish thingies which are highly-susceptible to boomas (which have been 'natural' weapons of Gungans and not some new advanced technology). But silly Jar-Jar defeating Grievous in one of the upcoming episodes? Not that is unrealistic! :laugh:

And I'll take hundreds of mobile gungans any time of the day versus a few very slow moving jellyfish thingies which are highly-susceptible to boomas (which have been 'natural' weapons of Gungans and not some new advanced technology).

My point there was actually that I didn't think the jellyfish-things should've been susceptible to boomas, considering how they performed against the clones and how rapidly the Gungans managed to take them down. Unless it was some sort of unpredicted weak point no one knew about, in which case I think it really should've been better explained.

And keep in mind that on land, the Gungans had an energy shield protecting them from the bulk of the assault. They don't have that advantage underwater.

My point there was actually that I didn't think the jellyfish-things should've been susceptible to boomas, considering how they performed against the clones and how rapidly the Gungans managed to take them down. Unless it was some sort of unpredicted weak point no one knew about, in which case I think it really should've been better explained.

And keep in mind that on land, the Gungans had an energy shield protecting them from the bulk of the assault. They don't have that advantage underwater.

Well, you could always think it's like Superman's Kryptonite and/or War of The Worlds alien thingys being susceptible to flu virus. Heck, even the mighty Death Star had a weakness. I never saw this 'Gungans being too powerful' as a weak point in the episode (there are a lot of more head-scratching moments as pointed out earlier), they are afterall an aquatic race with a proven army, they may be silly-looking/-speaking but definitely should not be underestimated especially in water battles.

My theory is that since the medusas were cyborgs, the boomers paralyzed the cybernetic part of them, rendering them harmless. Plus the Gungans made a surprise attack from above, and as we all know jellyfish are only dangerous from below.

My theory is that since the medusas were cyborgs, the boomers paralyzed the cybernetic part of them, rendering them harmless. Plus the Gungans made a surprise attack from above, and as we all know jellyfish are only dangerous from below.

Believable. I still find it unrealistic, but it makes some sense, and after all, this is CW we're talking about. (not to bash CW, just to point out that not making sense is not at all unprecedented, and this isn't the worst thing to come out of the show)

Just watched "Prisoners". I honestly thought it was the worst of the three episodes. The torture scenes were nice, but there was FAR too much talking in the episode.

Clip for "Shadow Warrior": Anakin against Dooku.

http://www.starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep404/#!/media/trailer

Also, here are the titles for episodes 5-7:

5: "Mercy Mansion"

6: "Nomad Droids"

7: "Darkness on Umbara"

It is likely that 5 and 6 are the episodes that feature C-3PO and R2-D2. Episode 7 will start the 4-part arc on Umbara...

Just watched "Prisoners". I honestly thought it was the worst of the three episodes. The torture scenes were nice, but there was FAR too much talking in the episode.

I actually thought that Prisoners was the best episode of the arc, The talking was a little deeper then what we normally get, and the revolt at the end was pretty cool too! And I saw a defenite nod to Jaws with the death of Rif Tameson. There were also some pretty stupid moments like with Jar Jar and his "gungan water-proofing", but I've come to expect that from the clone wars. :laugh:

I finally saw the first two. If you ask me they were amazing!! :thumbup: The SCUBA troopers look so cool. I don't think Fisto should have been captured though. :hmpf_bad:

Just saw "Prisoners", which quite honestly, seems a lot like another 'talk, talk, talk, little-fight-that-baddies-lose-with-bad-fighting-action' episode. Maybe it's just because they're underwater, but none of the fighting in the whole story arc impressed me, and I've had enough of the shark-headed race. They don't look Star Warsy at all. Same for the eels. And the jellyfish.

There were also some pretty stupid moments like with Jar Jar and his "gungan water-proofing", but I've come to expect that from the clone wars. :laugh:

And when right after that, Padme claims she can't see out of a helmet that's less than half covered in the stuff, which is transparent and isn't at eye level or directly in the middle of her field of view. :wacko: And it's on the lower half of the helmet, while the droids are above her.

Oh, and 'Mon Cala' still annoys me.