Captain Roger

Space Theme: General Discussion

Right now its Exo-Force, whose pieces can be used for classic space rather well, but, when are we going to get real classic space stuff other than Star Wars?

Probable TLC thinks that there is only a limited market for Lego sets which are based on SF

themes.... With SW and E-F this market is served well from their view and they don

As long as they're bringing out Star Wars, I'm not expecting any original Lego Space sets.

Exo-Force is only possible because SW doesn't have any Mechs in it.

I'm not that fond of E-F, but they're great for parts.

robo force is the absolute low point in space, if you're asking me. thank god they never released those 4 terrible sets in Europe.

I still would have liked the chance not to buy them. (I still would have, if only to become Space-complete)

Now it took a trip to the U.S. to even discover their existence. I remember walking into a KB Toys and going: What the F.... is that?!? And in another store I suddenly found the Aquadozer from Aquaraiders.

Another theme that was never released in Europe.

Not really Space but still Sci-Fi.

That 'Adventurers in Space' would be weird. Since it seems to be set in the 1930's.

If you want ancient ruins, they could find Atlantis.

That 'Adventurers in Space' would be weird. Since it seems to be set in the 1930's.

If you want ancient ruins, they could find Atlantis.

What? What is "Adventurers in Space"?

And i Think robo force is not bad at all...

What? What is "Adventurers in Space"

Only an example of future possibilities....

Adventurers in space? Hmm...steampunk...*plays Final Fantasy III again*

well... we did have pirates in space: blacktron... ... and those were damn good sets

i guess the consesus simply is this: no space as long as sw is around, even though i think there are lots of people out there that would be buying space sets, they just don't have the global popularity of Star wars, so we'd need extremely good sets to make people forget about star wars. also, i'd think that people would not accept space sets in the tradition of the old themes/sets. those sets look too childish compared to sw. trans yellowed canopies? pathetic engines? no greebs? hardly any interior? I'm not sure people would accept that. People may be buying sets of Admiral gidden's type: stylish, detailed, high piece count, but what kind of price would you have to pay for it?

and there's another thing: would you guys think that the gap between afol mocs and kid's mocs, in the space theme is the largest in any theme? I mean, a truck, built by a kid can still be great for afols, but how 'bout space ships? no offence, but i haven't really seen many great space mocs by kids lately...

Oh how I wish Lego could do some original space line. I was barely alive for what many would call the "golden age" of Lego Space, but I really enjoyed lines like Blacktron, Space police, Spyrus, Exploriens, Roboforce and even some UFO and Insectoids. I think if Lego tries a space line again I'd like to see some Admiral Giddens style ships toned down and less detailed for an affordable price and piece count. Personally, I'd take that any day to more Star Wars. :-)

The classic Space themes were pretty cool...I wish that Lego would release a new (non license) Space theme...

I think if Lego tries a space line again I'd like to see some Admiral Giddens style ships toned down and less detailed for an affordable price and piece count. Personally, I'd take that any day to more Star Wars. :-)

I know this thread is two years old, but I thought I'd point out that perhaps Lego listens to us, seeing as the above statement comes trues next month!

Since this thread is pointed to in the FAQ about Space Docking Bay, I don't feel too bad reviving it. After reading through, I feel the need to voice support for the UFO theme. Yes, a number of the pieces aren't of much use in non-UFO structures. But that's just the way of Lego these days. I think UFO had some well-designed ships, especially awesome in that we got real flying saucers! And the UFO minifigs, especially with those helmets, were some of the greatest minifigs ever. For me, UFO ranks only below the Classic Space stuff and perhaps Blacktron. UFO is one of the few themes that has compelled me to try and obtain every set. I'm only missing a couple of the tiny sets and the Interstellar Starfighter, the latter of which I desire terribly but have yet to find for a good price. I kinda like that it looks like the Enterprise. :)

reviving this one is ok.

i don't really like UFO. the color combination isn't that good and the figs are a bit too decorated. Still, i remember seeing these sets at the shopping mall when it was first released and i was really impressed by the flying saucers! However, i feel most space themes were really degraded after the arrival of star wars sets. suddenly space looked for small kids, sw was for the serious lego fans... and i haven't really seen a change in that... space still is for kids, sw for mature fans...

I know this thread is two years old, but I thought I'd point out that perhaps Lego listens to us, seeing as the above statement comes trues next month!

Since this thread is pointed to in the FAQ about Space Docking Bay, I don't feel too bad reviving it. After reading through, I feel the need to voice support for the UFO theme. Yes, a number of the pieces aren't of much use in non-UFO structures. But that's just the way of Lego these days. I think UFO had some well-designed ships, especially awesome in that we got real flying saucers! And the UFO minifigs, especially with those helmets, were some of the greatest minifigs ever. For me, UFO ranks only below the Classic Space stuff and perhaps Blacktron. UFO is one of the few themes that has compelled me to try and obtain every set. I'm only missing a couple of the tiny sets and the Interstellar Starfighter, the latter of which I desire terribly but have yet to find for a good price. I kinda like that it looks like the Enterprise. :)

I agree with you in almost every respect. The UFO set introduced a great deal of nice elements, the round panels and minifigs being the most obvious. They are still my favourite theme along with Blacktron II and I. The Interstellar Starfighter (atm I'm sitting right underneath it, I'm looking up to the shelf while I'm typing :-P ) was nicely priced. There were so many possibilities, the design was great, you can call it an enterprise rip-off if you want, but the design is so universal that I don't think it's fair Star Trek suddenly has a monopoly on saucer-bearing ships... Anyhow, the shuttle plates, saucer panels, optical fiber cables, and cones allowed for lots of MOCcing, I've seen the green panels return in soooo many M-tron creations...

As for the cross-theme usefulness of some parts... Ever heard of a theme called Bionicle?... :-P 50% of lego's molds must be dedicated to Bionicle... Man, don't kids ever get enough of them?... ;-)

Looks like Lego is listening to some of us (new castle line for ex.) we still don't know what those 3vil pics on the factory page were all about... If lego is working on a real space line again, then for gawd's sake, let them look back at the great things they've made, instead of the happy designers who are doing nothing but spouting and spraying "revolutionary ideas" involving rushed designs...

Also, rock on, all UFO-fans! *alien*

Yeah, UFO was a great theme. I still think the Warp Wing Fighter was one of the best space sets of any kind, and there were a number of other good sets in the theme. The minifigs were also very well detailed for their time. You can actually do some cool things with those quarter circle panels. The printing on the gray ones limits their use to UFO sets, but the trans-neon (and later on, black and trans-green) ones are quite useful.

Insectoids never really did it for me though, except for maybe the Planetary Prowler. Most of their sets had skimpy cockpits and lacked interior room (although the largest one was better), and the wing and leg pieces weren't useful elsewhere. I also didn't like how their light and sound pieces, although kind of neat, didn't interface with the existing 9V system.

People said it was okay to revive this, so...

Seeing as the conversation turned to UFO, I really want to speak up for this theme. It was my favorite theme as a kid. The minifigs were simply fantastic. Seriously people- trans-orange heads! TRANS-ORANGE HEADS. The helments, too, were some of the coolest I've ever seen in general... and the bodies were just so detailed. I'm always a fan of detailed figs, and UFO has some of the most detailed figs in the history of LEGO! Also I think it had the best androids, with two varieties.

In terms of sets- I give it props for bringing us one of the greatest sets in Space history, the Warp Wing Fighter. No seriously- I think it ranks just below the Deep Freeze Defender. It has three primary thrusters, four secondary thrusters, it's armed to the TEETH, it's got tons of detail, some awesome printed trans parts, space for two minifigs (alien and android), six wings, and all for the incredibly fair original price of $20! LEGO, well done. This set alone justifies this theme.

As for the rest... good, but not as stunning as the WWF. The big Star Trek-like ship is rather poor in my opinion. The Alien Avenger isn't bad, but it still feels a little too slapped together. The smaller sets (Warp Wing down) seem to be the highlights of this theme, which is rare for Space.

As for Insectoids- I also really enjoyed that theme. Just not quite as much as UFO, because of the rather useless insect legs, slightly ugly figs, and it didn't really have one token set you could point to and go "now that is a beauty". I never owned the biggest one though.

Edited by Algernon