Bonaparte

CONTEST: Design a Direct-To-Consumer (D2C) set

Very interesting contest! It's spectacular that one of our very own EBers is going to have their entry sold as an official set worldwide. Or am I mistaken and this is a simulation of a D2C design?

I won't be entering due to lack of time (and that small possibility that I'll lose... default_tong.gif), but I look forward to what amazing creations will be made for this. The prize pool is huge!

I predict that Pharoah's Quest will be the overall favored theme of entrants, but I'll be curious to see what the entrants' imaginations can work up.

Also, cool little MOC, ISC. I like the water dispenser.

Very interesting contest! It's spectacular that one of our very own EBers is going to have their entry sold as an official set worldwide. Or am I mistaken and this is a simulation of a D2C design?

Simulation if you like to call it that way. The aim is to make a MOC just like you think LEGO would do if they'd make a D2C set for one of these 3 action themes.

Simulation if you like to call it that way. The aim is to make a MOC just like you think LEGO would do if they'd make a D2C set for one of these 3 action themes.

Oh, okay. I didn't mean anything negative by that, it's just that the first post never said anything about 1st place becoming a real Lego set, yet the title and reason behind this contest seems to imply it.

Oh, sounds like an excellent contest! I have a good idea, but no bricks, so alas, no entry from me. :cry_sad:

I want to give a great big thanks to ISC for making that great MOC and also proving that you do not need lots and lots of the theme specific parts to make an excellent MOC.

I'm in !!

Don't know what to do yet but that's a formality! Good work ISC and all the staff!! :thumbup:

So.. Will we be deducted at all if we use placeholder 'figs? Like, a random ninja in place of a ninjago one? Or a waterbuffalo in place of a shark-man?? :p

I will participate. :thumbup:

Hoping on doing a good entry work. :classic:

I've only made a handful of small MOC's, and I've never taken part in a contest on EB. However, this has got my interest piqued and my creative juices flowin'. I may just enter this contest. Thank you to the EB staff for an amazing contest with very exciting prizes!

All right! I'm going to try for an entry in each theme - don't know if i'll manage it, but that's what a challenge is for, right? :grin: Thanks to the orginisers for coming up with such an awesome contest.

Edited by gabe

I'm absolutely going to try out for this contest! I've never entered an EB contest, but it sounds fun, and those prizes are well worth a shot! :classic:

Interesting! I've already got an idea!

Just one question: Can we use part of a set, like the pyramid from PQ in our MOC in addtion to what we are creating ourselves?

So.. Will we be deducted at all if we use placeholder 'figs? Like, a random ninja in place of a ninjago one? Or a waterbuffalo in place of a shark-man?? :p

Use whatever figures you like.

Interesting! I've already got an idea!

Just one question: Can we use part of a set, like the pyramid from PQ in our MOC in addtion to what we are creating ourselves?

Its up to you, though people will probably look for originality after all :wink:

I'm very sorry, but I still don't understand the Direct-to-Consumer thing. Is that a set that's in or (before or after) a current series with no other sets released at the same time? Anyway, thanks for this contest, the prizes sound absolutely amazing!

-Santhor

When people see a contest, they usually look over any MOCs in the title plage. Did you make that, Bonaparte? Because I have to say, It's quite lovely. :wub:

When people see a contest, they usually look over any MOCs in the title plage. Did you make that, Bonaparte? Because I have to say, It's quite lovely. :wub:

And when people see a contest, they usually overlook other posts. default_tong.gif

ISC made it.

And when people see a contest, they usually overlook other posts. default_tong.gif

ISC made it.

Most of the time it's just a bunch of rule clarifications, no I didn't read every post.

It's still awesome.

I'm very sorry, but I still don't understand the Direct-to-Consumer thing. Is that a set that's in or (before or after) a current series with no other sets released at the same time?

[snip]

While I certainly get the intention of the contest, I also don't understand this "Direct-to-Consumer" reference, and I would like some clarification. I tried searching for information about "Direct-to-Consumer" on the internet, but didn't get any wiser :blush:

The first post from Bonaparte says "if you are not familiar with Direct-To-Consumer, some examples are 10193 Medieval Market Village, 10210 Imperial Flagship, 10194 Emerald Night, etc." Why are these sets considered D2C (compared to most other sets which presumably are not D2C)? Is it that they have a much more limited production run than most other sets, and traditionally were sold directly from LEGO to the consumer instead of being sold via retail outlets?

I think its due to the large number of parts and large size that these sets usually have.

I'm very sorry, but I still don't understand the Direct-to-Consumer thing. Is that a set that's in or (before or after) a current series with no other sets released at the same time?

While I certainly get the intention of the contest, I also don't understand this "Direct-to-Consumer" reference, and I would like some clarification. I tried searching for information about "Direct-to-Consumer" on the internet, but didn't get any wiser :blush:

These sets are sold exclusively through S@H and the LEGO Stores initially (after a certain amount of time, I think six months or so, they may pop up in other places too). See this page on S@H for a list of currently available Exclusives.

These sets are sold exclusively through S@H and the LEGO Stores initially

[snip]

Thanks for clarifying, Rick. I'm now a little wiser :classic:

What an amazing contest, and fabulous prizes! It's certainly more motivating for everybody to participate since the prizes aren't sets that one might already have.

I'll definitely take part in this, and I already have a fantastic idea for a Pharaoh's Quest entry (I coincidentally just bought some PQ sets that'll come in handy). I just hope nobody else gets the same idea, though...

Thanks for organizing this! These contests sure are fun! :grin:

These sets are sold exclusively through S@H and the LEGO Stores initially (after a certain amount of time, I think six months or so, they may pop up in other places too). See this page on S@H for a list of currently available Exclusives.

Thanks Rick! So they don't really have to be anything specific, just (probably) higher price, lots of pieces, etc., correct?

-Santhor

So they don't really have to be anything specific, just (probably) higher price, lots of pieces, etc., correct?

As an example, the two Winter Village sets aren't that expensive, although a really good deal (parts/price ratio). But most of them have a significantly higher price point than the largest sets that are sold through retail outlets (Technic and Trains aside perhaps). What really sets them apart is the use of advanced building techniques though. Therefore, they also usually have a higher recommended age compared to other sets in the theme.