Sign in to follow this  
CloudCity91

MY 1st MOC but is this cheating?

Having only discovered SW Lego in the past six weeks, as I was putting together my AT-AT I knew I wanted to build a diorama. So this past weekend I got around to putting it all together and it is almost exactly the way I envisioned it but did I "cheat" by using sand and enclosing it in glass? Would purists be dissapointed because it is not 100% Lego? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

lexieandhoth106.jpg

lexieandhoth105.jpg

lexieandhoth083.jpg

lexieandhoth084.jpg

lexieandhoth085.jpg

lexieandhoth087.jpg

lexieandhoth088.jpg

lexieandhoth089.jpg

lexieandhoth090.jpg

lexieandhoth091.jpg

lexieandhoth092.jpg

lexieandhoth093.jpg

lexieandhoth095.jpg

lexieandhoth096.jpg

lexieandhoth098.jpg

lexieandhoth099.jpg

lexieandhoth100.jpg

lexieandhoth101.jpg

lexieandhoth102.jpg

lexieandhoth103.jpg

lexieandhoth104.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

Nope, I wouldn't call it cheating.

It's not what I'd call a MOC - My Own Creation though.

It looks like a display of official sets and a nice one indeed.

I think I'll stick with Diorama as a description for what it is.

Now the use of those glass pieces for ice is a great addition and very powerful :thumbup:

It's looking good and you've managed to set up a combat scene without making it too crowded.

Good job and thanks for sharing.

Well, first of all welcome to eurobricks! :sweet:

I agree with KimT, it is not a MoC; it is an awesome diorama, though! :thumbup:

The sand looks great, I especially like those glass pieces - this little ice wall on picture number *counts* 13 is my favorite part!

The sand looks very much like snow, together with the very realistic positions of all the sets (for example the (nearly) destroyed AT-AT) this is one of the best non-MoC Hoth Dioramas I have ever seen - a very good way to introduce yourself on eb :thumbup:

Well, first of all welcome to eurobricks! :sweet:

I agree with KimT, it is not a MoC; it is an awesome diorama, though! :thumbup:

The sand looks great, I especially like those glass pieces - this little ice wall on picture number *counts* 13 is my favorite part!

The sand looks very much like snow, together with the very realistic positions of all the sets (for example the (nearly) destroyed AT-AT) this is one of the best non-MoC Hoth Dioramas I have ever seen - a very good way to introduce yourself on eb :thumbup:

I can't take crdit for the "little ice wall" unfortunately :(

I was upstairs putting the AT-ST together and my wife starts yelling at me from the basement, "Quick, come Quick" she exclaims. Well just when I think the house is being set on fire she asks "What do you think of my ice wall?" It's her favourite part too.

I think I'm starting to figure this out now though, an MOC can be a diorama but the Lego is built without the instructions/or not to factory specs? I get it. ;)

Jim

I agree, this is a display of stock sets in my book, but it looks very nice. I disagree with KimT in that I think it might be too busy, given that during the majority of the Battle of Hoth the soldiers stayed in trenches or behind the front lines and from what is show in Empire they let the vehicles fight it out, but I can see that it would take a lot of space to create those vast icy plains, so I think this is an excellent, compact scene. :thumbup:

Oh, and welcome to EB!

Well, assuming you have done most of the rest your work is still very impressing :wink:

I think the fact that you haven't build anything on your own makes your diorama even more special- you have managed to set up normal sets in a way that makes it look like Hoth just like most of the best Hoth MoCs do.

Getting alle the white sand and such a big showcase must have taken quite some time, not to mention all the money...

Edited by Emperor

Welcome to EB

cool diorama. i think there may be a bit too many minifigs in there for my tastes.

I do see something odd though – it looks to me that the body of the fallen AT-AT is backwards.... meaning the head is attached to what is supposed to be the rear of the vehicle.

Welcome to EB

cool diorama. i think there may be a bit too many minifigs in there for my tastes.

I do see something odd though – it looks to me that the body of the fallen AT-AT is backwards.... meaning the head is attached to what is supposed to be the rear of the vehicle.

OMFG you are right, I'm so stupid :(

Jim

OMFG you are right, I'm so stupid :(

Jim

it's an easy fix :sweet:

I only knew because I own and I have spent a considerable amount of time working on the Lego 8129 set. :wink:

Edited by siseon

Hello,

I agree with the guys posting before. It is a great, action packed diorama.

One thing though, you've got sand as the equivalent of snow. The guys and equipment would leave tracks in the snow. I do not know if the sandis too fine to do it but I would leave some footprints of the minifigs and AT-ATs there.

My thoughts!

Keep on building!

fW

For the second time today I'm writing that I'm jealous of another members display/collection :wink: . All this in only six weeks!!! Personally I wouldn't let sand anywhere near my Lego but that just goes to show that not only do you have a more impressive display then me, you are also braver.

Is that a Star Wars sheet on the floor? And nice posters BTW. :thumbup:

That's a lot of LEGO for six weeks...

I don't think sand or glass is an issue at all; I know there are some who prefer to take pictures of their MOCs outside and such, so it's not that different. On the other hand, if you were to use non-LEGO parts in an MOC... (but Brian Tobin's Falcon is still awesome)

Very nice display. The only thing I would suggest* is to clean up the snowtroopers (maybe put them inside the base?).

*Other than the obvious... "now that you've got all these parts, tear apart those ugly LEGO snowspeeders and build your own something-or-other."

Like everyone has said definitely a display over MOC but the display is very very good, I love the downed AT-AT walker. Excellent job.

That's a pretty neat display for your fine Hoth collection CloudCity91! The use of the white sand for the snow is quite clever and effective IMO, and in no way is it cheating as it is better than having no display at all. The only criticism I find is the minifigs seem to be 'too buried' on the snow, which is probably due to the fineness of the sand. I'd also suggest if you could add a printed Hoth landscape backdrop, I think that would greatly enhance your display more. Thanks for sharing this and welcome to EB! :thumbup:

That's a pretty neat display for your fine Hoth collection CloudCity91! The use of the white sand for the snow is quite clever and effective IMO, and in no way is it cheating as it is better than having no display at all. The only criticism I find is the minifigs seem to be 'too buried' on the snow, which is probably due to the fineness of the sand. I'd also suggest if you could add a printed Hoth landscape backdrop, I think that would greatly enhance your display more. Thanks for sharing this and welcome to EB! :thumbup:

A back drop is the next step indeed, baby blue horizon with snow mountains!!! As for the sand and how fine it is, both of you are correct. It's so fine that the minifigs don't stand without being half buried. I was also planning for AT-AT footprints, and people footprints all over the place but it just won't hold/make the impression. Of course you don't learn that lesson until AFTER you dump a few hundred dollars in sand in a giant fish bowl :)

Jim

I'll agree with what some of the others have said about it not really being a moc, a dio yes. I love the ice and glass in there creating the ice effect of hoth! The sand looks pretty good as snow, but ouchies on the lego! :look:

Hope to see more dio's from you soon!

CF

That's great. But I think saw some swastikas in the back. :sick:

Yes there are, but they're on a Captain America comic book poster.

If you are new to lego how do you have over $300 of lego already?

I have $300 worth of sand, I`ve spent way more than that on Lego in the past 6 weeks. Heck, one of the first items I just had to have was a sealed Cloud City playset. So between three AT-AT`s, 1 Hoth Base, 4 Echo bases, a Death Star, X-Wing, Endor Playset, Mon Calamari Starcruiser as well as a sealed Cloud City, I`d say I have a little more invested than in my sand collection :)

Jim

Yes there are, but they're on a Captain America comic book poster.

I`m sorry I never even thought of that and hope I didn`t offend anybody. Yes they are prints of Alex Schomburg comic book covers he did in the 40`s for Captain America, the Human Torch and All Winners comics.

Jim

Nice scene! The At-AT that has fallen over has added detail to the battle and I noticed the use of multiple snowspeeders from various sets, may I ask which you think is the best?

Overall it captures the battle perfectly, personally, I don't think the use of sand is cheating.

Nice scene! The At-AT that has fallen over has added detail to the battle and I noticed the use of multiple snowspeeders from various sets, may I ask which you think is the best?

Overall it captures the battle perfectly, personally, I don't think the use of sand is cheating.

I actually think I like the oldest one, #7130, the best. I bought it for my son new when he was three years old. He didn't like Lego then nor does he now but when I bought my first AT-AT I remembered that this was laying around the house somewhere and I had to look online for an instruction sheet to build it. Anyways I think I prefer it because it is done mostly in grey, and I think that fit's Lucas' vision of being a "used universe, rather than the bright, shiny, new and very white looking the new Lego Snowspeeders are.

Jim

Amazing! This diorama looks like something we would see if Lego still make beautiful dioramas for catalogues! :thumbup:

After two days here you have just become my favourite member of all time :wub::grin:

Jim